Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to improve a BER rating?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭sligo camper

very interesting board...we have a two storey slooping ceiling upstairs. built in 2005
    wasnt as interested in insulation issues then as i bloody am now!! couple of questions
    1, in my innocence, layed down a 200mm insulation into the roof joists (compacted.. i know i know) then covered both with 8 x 4 sheets of ply... the upstairs is freezing.. there is no insulation between the roof joists and the slate above it... Id hate to have to loose the benefit of the dance floor i now have in my attic. do i simply roll out more insulation roll over the 8 x 4 and will it improve the situation

also how do i improve the insulation in the slopping roof in the bedrooms as i cannot access them from the attic itself.

did i reas somewhere also that u need at least 300-450 of insulation rolled out to get max benefit?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Under the grant system a lot of people got their unfloored attics done and would originally have had 200mm between the joists. Basically the companies were laying down another 300 to 450mm insulation on top of that again.

I think the spray on foam under the slates is beneficial too
    very interesting board...we have a two storey slooping ceiling upstairs. built in 2005
    wasnt as interested in insulation issues then as i bloody am now!! couple of questions
    1, in my innocence, layed down a 200mm insulation into the roof joists (compacted.. i know i know) then covered both with 8 x 4 sheets of ply... the upstairs is freezing.. there is no insulation between the roof joists and the slate above it... Id hate to have to loose the benefit of the dance floor i now have in my attic. do i simply roll out more insulation roll over the 8 x 4 and will it improve the situation

also how do i improve the insulation in the slopping roof in the bedrooms as i cannot access them from the attic itself.

did i reas somewhere also that u need at least 300-450 of insulation rolled out to get max benefit?

thanks

Advertisement