Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BLARNEY GOLF RESORT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Jasonw

There's a machine in Blarney Driving range. It's 2 euro for about 25-30 balls.

The driving range is about 2 miles from the golf course so, no, no connection.

and Jimbling, you can join Cobh for the same money that you are paying now (100 euro a month) The greens there are suburb at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Jasonw wrote: »
    and Jimbling, you can join Cobh for the same money that you are paying now (100 euro a month) The greens there are suburb at the moment.

I've never played Cobh, so dont know... but I do know a course isn't ONLY about greens.

If I could get into Lee Valley for 2k I would absolutely jump at the chance to be honest... and I know the few guys I play with regularly in Blarney would feel the same. I personally dont believe it, but I'll see what I can find out during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

jimbling wrote: »
    I've never played Cobh, so dont know... but I do know a course isn't ONLY about greens.

If I could get into Lee Valley for 2k I would absolutely jump at the chance to be honest... and I know the few guys I play with regularly in Blarney would feel the same. I personally dont believe it, but I'll see what I can find out during the week.

Fact!

Choose to belove what suits you

I suggest you ask a few of the guys that left blarney to get in there

soundsham wrote: »
    Fact!

Choose to belove what suits you

I suggest you ask a few of the guys that left blarney to get in there

Do you want to name names? how am I supposed to find out who did?

I know some members, and some people working in Lee Valley, so I'll see what I can find out.

Do you want to name names? how am I supposed to find out who did?
    QUOTE]

Won't be naming names ,quite a few members in blarney could tell you the names of those who moved
    ringing the recpetion in lee valley may not always get you in the door by the cheapest method,but if you do know members there you will obviously find out

playing blarney later with a member today,he was there last night and said the pins and tees hadn't been moved from the weekend yet:confused:,...nice
    so the areas around the holes were mangled,hope they're changed for today:(

P.S. the original pro (dave) from blarney g.c.,now works in lee valley too

Won't be naming names ,quite a few members in blarney could tell you the names of those who moved
    ringing the recpetion in lee valley may not always get you in the door by the cheapest method,but if you do know members there you will obviously find out

playing blarney later with a member today,he was there last night and said the pins and tees hadn't been moved from the weekend yet:confused:,...nice
    so the areas around the holes were mangled,hope they're changed for today:(

P.S. the original pro (dave) from blarney g.c.,now works in lee valley too

I'll have a nose about anyway. I'd move in an instant if I could get in for 2k including subs for a year. I absolutely love Lee Valley.
    Ya, I know Dave as well, could probably check it out with him too.

Not sure about the holes been moved.... I didn't really notice any problem around them. I did notice that the greens were ridiculously long again though... prob still not cut.
    I was putting like a god though so it didn't matter :D

EDIT: Another point, the tee boxes are an absolute disgrace. I'd say they haven't been watered since the Pierce Purcell.
    Other than the greens and the tee boxes it's great... but for 100 a month that's not good enough really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭jimboddb

Heard bout Lee Valley for 2k as well form existing members. Dont think its anything offical but I'm sure if you approach the right people they'd sort you.

Also, €1200 a year is big money in the current climate for what will never be a good golf course imo. Cant see the place still open in 5 years

as jimbob says its a bit of who you know & muskerry isn't next or near what you think either......pointless talking to dave by the way

while I wouldn't be as harsh as he is on the course in Blarney my whole point stems from the fact that not enough members up there complain about the state of the place but continue to fork out €1200 a year its probably worth closer to €700 imo,I play there a bit and do like it but its nearly the case now where you'd have to walk to the 18th and look at the greens before paying the place is so hit and miss,

It was beautifully prepared for the pierce purcell and will be again no doubt for the captains prize after the pierce purcell its been in sh1te & I suspect the same after the capt prize

the golf course is for everyone every day of the week not the pierce purcell or captains prize days there are another 360+ days in the year so it should be maintained to a good standard day to day,its not and from the lads i know playing there every weekend is a lottery

sorry to be so long winded but to get back to my 1st point,
    the head green keeper is a local lad, does super work,probably doesn't like to hear the place or his work being criticised locally
    but cant do or say a whole lot about it either,also he may have had his hours and staff cut to mon-fri as he did last year and be down a nice few bob,so how can he be faulted he cant..........

the guys playing there every weekend should be shouting blue murder over the course and lack of money being put into it,and guess what maybe the green keeper would get his sat hours back and earn a few bob and the players would get a decent course EVERY weekend,
    equally the course is worthy of praise too sometimes and especially under the circumstances

now blah blah administration whatever !! the golf club is bringing in the bucks every month

when was the last time you asked in the shop after a game
    1 why is the teebox or whatever so bad?
    2 why were the greens not cut/bunkers raked today ?
    3 anything being planted or plans for the course ?

i suggest you ring whoever (pester your comp sec or captain for a while) and complain if the lad in the shop cannot answer the simple questions,or if you like just pay away each month the same fee as local clubs lee valley or muskerry or more than many other clubs for a lesser standard and keep the head down and play away for 5hrs

too many suckers quite types....... imo

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭CaptainPendulum

I was quoted 2,400 to join the Lee Valley last August - think that included the sub for the remainder of the year, so perhaps 2k is about right excluding the sub. When I rang to enquire I was asked for my number and the owner (can't remember name sorry) called me for a chat. Love the course and was my second choice.

there you go jim......save up a grand and move imo;)

• Advertisement

You're right soundsham, I have been much too quiet about it really... as are most others up there.

It think one of the reasons I've stayed as well is that I have a pretty big group of friends that are joined there... so I always have guys I can ring to go out and play in the evenings etc.... I like that.

If I join another course, I wont have that benefit.... that is unless I get them to move too :D

I was quoted 2,400 to join the Lee Valley last August - think that included the sub for the remainder of the year, so perhaps 2k is about right excluding the sub. When I rang to enquire I was asked for my number and the owner (can't remember name sorry) called me for a chat. Love the course and was my second choice.

Well Soundshams deal is 2k incl Subs :eek:

btw, what was your first choice?

I did see staff around, not sure what the story is with the actual cutting of the greens though. I'll have a chat with the pro later.

Well, a lot of them didn't remain members. They've lost a fair few this year. Enough that the offer of no joining fee is back up again.

I wouldn't say paying through the nose, pretty standard rate I would have thought (for Cork)? And excellent when you consider its by far the best course that doesn't have a joining fee. No risk to joining up.
    Most decent courses in cork are 5-10k joining fee.

If there are better, let me know.

nothing near 10k anyway :eek:

nothing near 10k anyway :eek:

Well, when I wrote that I was under the impression that Lee Valley was around 6-7k.
    Monkstown was another course I love... looked into that and was told they didn't even bring they're price down... still around 8k.

Fota is still 15k as far as I know...... just over 15 years...i.e. 5k every 5 years.

Not sure about the other top courses around the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

men are not being accepted into lee valley at the moment but it will be reviewed next month. ladies membership still open. 12 months costs €1800 for ladies for the 1 st yr, € 1300 after that. so its a joining fee of €500. apparently the men pay slightly more ( not sure why as both have equal rights on the course )

Spoke with two lee valley members today (they were playing the classic up in Blarney)
    One of the members was considering moving from Lee Valley to Blarney. He did say he wasn't fond of the greens but I guess he has other reasons for thinking about moving.
    The other member is actually also a member of Blarney (weird I know, not sure what the story behind that is) and although he thought the greens were slow, he still thought they were pretty true... and thinks Blarney is on par as a course in general.

He also said that he had been told the greenkeepers in Blarney had been told to not cut the greens tight recently for fear of the grass getting burnt (like it is on the tee boxes). Not sure if that's just an excuse though.

On a further note about the greens. I spoke with the pro today about them. He said they were having trouble with manpower to do the job. But that they had just purchased a new ride on mower that would allow less people to do it more regularly.... think he said around 5 days a week.

Glad to here you asked a few questions and hope your happy with the answers you got...... Keep asking!!

Was supposed to play there myself but couldn't make it

As for being on a par to lee valley I don't think so myself

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭GEM_13

Has anyone got a definite figure for muskerry-joining fee and sub..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭jimboddb

Muskerrys a 5k joining fee & then a sub of circa 1,300 per annum. That includes a bar levy of €100 & insurance.

• Advertisement

Well Soundshams deal is 2k incl Subs :eek:

btw, what was your first choice?

Fota Island

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

Bit of a change in the course set up in Blarney for the year ahead.

The 10th hole is now going to be a par 3. Seems it's a popular change, a lot of people would not have liked the old hole as a par 4.

Using a temporary tee at moment of approx 155 yards. New tee box being built and looks like it will be around 185 mark.

Has the potential to be a great hole, elevated tee with water coming into play.

New par of the course is 70

aster99 wrote: »
    Bit of a change in the course set up in Blarney for the year ahead.

The 10th hole is now going to be a par 3. Seems it's a popular change, a lot of people would not have liked the old hole as a par 4.

Using a temporary tee at moment of approx 155 yards. New tee box being built and looks like it will be around 185 mark.

Has the potential to be a great hole, elevated tee with water coming into play.

New par of the course is 70

That's a great change. There was talk of lengthening the (superb) 15th and making it a par 5 too to offset losing the par4 on the 10th.

Think the 15th is a great par 4th, be a shame to change it.

Great change & a bit of cop on at last,that hole was the most dangerous hole i played in a long time, it will become a beauty of a par 3 though

15th is a strong par 4 it would be a weak par 5 and it would surely affect all the other holes index

the new 10th will possibly still play to the same or close to its current index

I agree re the 15th btw, it's a super hole, a good drive leaves you a long second over water to a sliver of a green with OOBs behind it. I usually chicken out with a layup and take my 5! Any idea when work on the 10th will begin?

• Advertisement

I agree re the 15th btw, it's a super hole, a good drive leaves you a long second over water to a sliver of a green with OOBs behind it. I usually chicken out with a layup and take my 5!

It's amazing how much you can cut that corner if you're brave enough. Obviously a very tough shot, and you need to be somewhat long off the tee, but I regularly would get within 140-160y of the green (when I didn't send the ball OOB :pac:)
    I was playing with a guy in the Presidents Prize two years ago. He was a seriously big hitter. He cut the corner so much that we were sure it was gone. Hit a provisional and all. Strolled up and the ball was approx 90y from the green, to the left as well giving an easy chip in. Unreal!

Good news about 10th... a horrible hole that could turn in to a wonderful hole. I am a bit surprised that they're putting money into it to be honest. Fair play to the bank.

I wont get to play there much though, I've left for greener pastures.

Work is well under way on the 10th , the new tee box is there a couple of months now. Just needs the grass to grow. I presume the frost and ice didn't help this.

Anybody played here recently
    What way is the course/greens
    Might give it a try on Sun

In excellent shape at the moment, greens & fairways in great condition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Got quoted €49 for a round there (Sunday) a week ago.
    Seemed a little exorbitant, so went to Waterrock instead for €25.

Greens down there have gone to the dogs though so price was about right....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Anybody played here recently
    What way is the course/greens
    Might give it a try on Sun

Member here and it is in good shape, greens are a little slow but that could be down to a little sanding they did recently.

Some advice:

1st: stay well left of the bunker on the right, better angle coming into the green
    5th: uphilll par 3, loads of room behind the the green so go long rather than short right
    6th: Aim at the bunker on the left of the fairway.....Out of bounds over the right ditch.
    14th: short par 4 easier(for me anyway) to lay up rather than having a tricky bunker shot 15-20 yards
    15th: play as a par 5
    18th: also play this as a par 5

Good luck, might see you there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Are there weekly opens on there ?
    If so can you book online as I haven't seen anything on the website but maybe I just missed it

thanks

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Are there weekly opens on there ?
    If so can you book online as I haven't seen anything on the website but maybe I just missed it

thanks

Hi Alx,

There are opens every wednesday.

ssbob wrote: »
    5th: uphilll par 3, loads of room behind the the green so go long rather than short right
    BE LEFT of the green...Right = Dead

ssbob wrote: »
    Member here and it is in good shape, greens are a little slow but that could be down to a little sanding they did recently.

Some advice:

1st: stay well left of the bunker on the right, better angle coming into the green
    6th: Aim at the bunker on the left of the fairway.....Out of bounds over the right ditch.
    14th: short par 4 easier(for me anyway) to lay up rather than having a tricky bunker shot 15-20 yards
    15th: play as a par 5
    18th: also play this as a par 5

Good luck, might see you there.

thanks played it a few times
    was just worried in case of hollowtining......

ya !! a link to the online booking for wed comps would be handy , played a couple last year,cant seem to find the link ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

Played here recently, was in mighty condition. Fairways were amazing for time of year.

I believe the GUI have visited the course recently, they plan on hosting a major GUI comp there in 2012

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

soundsham - did you just ring to get a tee time for the opens or was there actually an online system in use ?

Also whats the damage and anyone know what last tee time is - need to see if I can get out of work early enough ?

Think I booked them online as a visitor
    Not 100% sure though as I can't find the link to it now
    Booked jnr sc cup for Easter Monday recently by phone

alxmorgan wrote: »
    soundsham - did you just ring to get a tee time for the opens or was there actually an online system in use ?

Also whats the damage and anyone know what last tee time is - need to see if I can get out of work early enough ?

Hi Alx,

Last tee time available in the Wednesday slots is 16.24 today but that will change to four hours before sunset each wednesday, you just book in the clubhouse.

The online system is for members only as far as I am aware.

There are some signs of hollow thinning on the greens but think that will clear up in the coming weeks, still in great nick, hopefully the greens get a bit quicker.

Junior Scratch cup here on Monday for anyone interested

• Advertisement

Is it 4 to 10 or 5 to 10 h'cappers tomorrow ?

5 to 11 tomorrow

Greens still on slow side ??:confused:

Ya slow enough, in great condition but running a bit slow alright.

Big crowd played here today. Course in great nick.
    Not too sure what were the winning scores

Played there today. Not sure about your defination of great nick though. Greens were dog slow and riddled with pitchmarks. Footprints in just about every bunker and teeboxes overgrown. Still no proper teebox on tenth hole. Playing with the ball 6 inches below your feet. On a positive note the fairways were in 'great nick'

Feedback was very positive. Greens are usually slow enough. They were rolling true though so once you had the line correct and adjusted to pace you should have been ok.

How'd you get on score wise, any luck?

Nah. No good today. Didn't help that griping the club was agony come the back 9 once the painkilers had worn off. Finished with 84. Playing partner had 77 though. Greens rolled true but people need to start repairing pitchmarks and raking bunkers. Blarney is not the only course with these issues btw. On the other side of the coin I Played in the open singles in monkstown last Friday and the greens and general upkeep were exemplary.

77 was a good score. It was calm enough there today, so would expect someone to get around the 74 mark.

Haven't played monkstown in ages, must get a game in there soon

• Advertisement

shot 79 probably 5 off it alright I'd say....5 over on par 3's:o
    have to agree about the tee boxes........ badly needed a trim,shocking for par 3's to be teeing it on stuff that high(not my problem in shooting +5 though),should be at least like the fairways,
    I only saw one bunker but our 3 ball thought they were fine/good to play from.

On the greens !!.......very poor speed worst I played so far this year anywhere,a very long putt was a lottery/joke
    didnt think pitchmarks were an issue ,seemed no better or worse than anywhere else
    If you werent inside 20ft there was a good chance you could 3 putt as it was impossible to box the ball hard enough on that stuff.
    All in all happy enough and will play it a few times more this year, but if greens are like that I'd have to say I'd play the first 3 and head back to the shop for a refund rather hitting off the 4th......

to me good greens is what your paying for,and they are quite poor......but easy to remedy

Advertisement