Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much of a pay cut would you take to keep your job in the current economic climate

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

None, I gots no job :(

plus 1 here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

I is a student but am willing to give up 25% of my pot noodle. I'm doing my bit for the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Already working 2 days a month unpaid. Roughtly a 7% paycut, i think if my maths are right. Still ghey as I work hard for my moneys, and never got paid/days leiu for my overtime, which is already running at about 7.5/10 hrs a week.

But needs must, as we have to reduce costs somewhere, and already have staff on as minimum as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

The lads who's companies are doing well, i bet its Aldi or Lidl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

ongarite wrote: »
    Would love to know what area the private companies mentioned above are making money in?
    The industry I'm in is facing its biggest ever downturn with even the biggest player set to announce its first loss in 20yrs.
    I'm on pay freeze since June last year and facing possible 20% pay-cut.

What industry are you in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Gulliver

25% pay cut. Was on three days last year, now 5. No overtime or benefits. Not a 9 to 5 job either. You leave when the job is finished and that's it. (IT Sector) Not much above minimum now. Job still not certain.

Seriously thinking of just leaving places at 5.30. Sorry Sir/Madam, not paid have you stand right behind me as I'm trying to service your kit and tell me that your 6yr old nephew knows as much as I do. Get him to do the f**king job then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

None is the answer.Would be better off on the dole with rent allowance etc.. anyways as is. Only in the job to keep my sanity TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Miss Minnie

Expecting a 10% cut in the next week or two...we have been warned its coming. Worst thing is our company is very healthy - top end of 2008 targets so I can't help thinking they are taking advantage.... :mad:

Wouldn't take any further pay cut...after 10% I would prefer to work a shorter week and save on the petrol! Anyway I've taken on further roles and responsibilities this year with no financial reward...feck that!

All this makes me very sad :( We used to have happier things to talk about :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

None, I'm being underpaid compared to the current market and with the necessary experience provided and a good market for jobs in my area I would hop ship in a second if I wasn't going to get the bonus and pay rise this year I expect.

its this sort of attitude that causes companies to lay off people in the first place. your employer owes you nothing, they dont have to give you a pay rise or a bonus.

and where would you go to? the "current market" is long gone. no matter what job you have, its under threat and it can be done for bout 40% elsewhere. i hope to get a bonus this year but im grateful for a good job that i have and will gladly sit here for the next 12-18 months and keep my mouth shut, as long as the salary comes in at the end of the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Expecting a 10% cut in the next week or two...we have been warned its coming. Worst thing is our company is very healthy - top end of 2008 targets so I can't help thinking they are taking advantage.... :mad:

I can see a lot of scrupulous company owners using this credit crunch as an excuse even if their margins are very healthy. Pure greed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

its this sort of attitude that causes companies to lay off people in the first place. your employer owes you nothing, they dont have to give you a pay rise or a bonus.

and where would you go to? the "current market" is long gone. no matter what job you have, its under threat and it can be done for bout 40% elsewhere. i hope to get a bonus this year but im grateful for a good job that i have and will gladly sit here for the next 12-18 months and keep my mouth shut, as long as the salary comes in at the end of the month.

They don't have to give me a pay rise or a bonus if they don't want to keep me.

There are over 56 jobs currently being advertised in Dublin for my role with the minimum pay being 4k over what I currently earn. Bonus's like a company car, parking and paid for health insurance all of which I currently don't have. The only reason I have stayed is because I like the company and they pay for further training. I also get plenty of time in work to study what I want.

I don't care what situation you are in, or what others are in. I'm not in it. I've never had a problem getting a job, can talk my way into anything and pick it up so damm fast it would make your head spin. So nobody is going to sell me this recession crap or try drop my pay.

Advertisement