Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much of a pay cut would you take to keep your job in the current economic climate

Options
  • 09-02-2009 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

Poll to follow.

Given the way things have gone how much of a pay cut would you be willing to take to keep your job in the current economic climate?

If the choice was to work at a much reduced rate or not work at all would you stick to your principals?

What is the absolute most of a wages hit would you take?

Have you taken a reduction recently and if so how much?

How much of a pay cut would you take to keep your job in the current economic climate 144 votes

None
    0% 0 votes
    5%
    29% 43 votes
    10%
    8% 12 votes
    15%
    19% 28 votes
    20%
    11% 17 votes
    25%
    11% 16 votes
    30%
    6% 10 votes
    40%
    2% 4 votes
    50%
    3% 5 votes
    60%
    0% 1 vote
    I don't have no goddamn job.
    5% 8 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

None, I'm being underpaid compared to the current market and with the necessary experience provided and a good market for jobs in my area I would hop ship in a second if I wasn't going to get the bonus and pay rise this year I expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

1,000%

That's right, I would pay them so I could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,872 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

At the momeny its gotten that ****ty I couldn't justify staying off the dole if I got more than a 10% pay cut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Cut the money to the lazy who stay on the dole for ages, not to the workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Already took a 10% cut. Well, moreso was given a 10% cut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

TripleAce wrote: »
    Cut the money to the lazy who stay on the dole for ages, not to the workers.

But how will they pay for their fags, booze and heartburn-inducing white bread toast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If I see another recession/current climate thread in AH, the only cut I'll be making is to my wrists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

Considering that my company just released excellent figures, and the fact that the forecasts (licence bookings etc.) for the next year look great, anything else then a decent payrise would be an insult to the workforce. But said that, usually they are quite generous (8% last year).

We already shed 20% of the worldwide workforce in the last 3 years to boost profits and shareprices, and have become more productive as a company. AFAIK remember we have increased turnover and sales for 18 consecutive quarters now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I'm fed up with the 'current economic climate' ****. I just can't hear it anymore. The current economic climate can **** off. I'm going to sit this one out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Where's the "Atari I don't have a job" option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

1,000%

That's right, I would pay them so I could work.
    I'll let you do my work for a tenner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Considering I'm on fairly crap pay as it is..I'd only be prepared to take a 10% cut.

(and I mean CRAP, not crap in most peoples cases which is below 700 a week :rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Where is the "smallest cut I could possibly get away with" option.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Not a cent. My company is doing quite well. We reported an increase in profits of 17% for the year last month and are expanding into new countries. However, they still used the "current economic climate" as an excuse to cancel our Xmas party. I know that's nothing compared to what some people are going through but the fact they lied about it makes me think they will try something on regarding a pay cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

Would love to know what area the private companies mentioned above are making money in?
    The industry I'm in is facing its biggest ever downturn with even the biggest player set to announce its first loss in 20yrs.
    I'm on pay freeze since June last year and facing possible 20% pay-cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

ongarite wrote: »
    Would love to know what area the private companies mentioned above are making money in?
    The industry I'm in is facing its biggest ever downturn with even the biggest player set to announce its first loss in 20yrs.

In my case it's low cost retail - the kind of place people flock to in time of recession and does well anyway. Won't name the company but we're high profile

EDIT Who are the two people willing to take a 60% pay cut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

None, I gots no job :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

ongarite wrote: »

IT, big enterprise software to make your IT operations more efficient and alligned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Just had a 10% cun* no cut forced on us in work

But managment took 20% so i suppose its only fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

My hubbie took a 15% pay cut,second cut in five years!!!!
    Pay cut or buisness folds, and it still could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Just had a 17.5% cut and thats all I am fu**ing taking :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

None

is my boss watching?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I've had a 6% pay cut imposed on me but I'm not keeping my job either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

To all the people that have voted under 25%, are you genuinely sayin that you were gettin a 25% pay cut, you would walk straight out of the job?? No hesitation at all joining the dole queue?? I genuinely cant believe that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

I will be getting a 100% pay cut soon.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I have taken a massive reduction in income because i can't collect the money i am owed. Even worse, mr tax man dosen't care that i can't get my money in, he still want's his pound of flesh, even though i don't have it.:(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Absolutely no way in hell.
    If a paycut was offered a P45 would be requested TBH. **** that. I work too hard for too long to take a goshdarn paycut. I'm already going cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

Back in the dot com bust I had an increasing pay cut, 5%, 10% then 20% in order to keep my job. One of the executive managers took a 100% pay cut, had to file personal bankruptcy and got divorced as well. We tried to keep the company afloat but in the end it faded away and I eventually left.

And by the way, just because you think the company might be doing well, you can still be blindsided. At this particular company I was shocked to find out we were having layoffs. I was working on multiple projects working long hours but I was so busy I didn't recognise that half the company was idle. Next thing I know we had multiple rounds of layoffs, my friends and co-workers let go without a penny. I am not as naive anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭hurdehur

Enough to keep me 150-200 euro above the dole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

holly1 wrote: »
    My hubbie took a 15% pay cut,second cut in five years!!!!
    Pay cut or buisness folds, and it still could.

Some people are not young enough to risk maby not getting another job,so he will hold on for as long as he can,and he realy likes what he is doing.

Advertisement