Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D'Irish Accent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I love the Irish accent-i HATE the Donegal accent! I have picked a few bits and pieces but i am a sucker for the Cork accent!

Ah bless another drunken post :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Place lamb with thyme in saucepan and add cold water to cover. Bring slowly to the boil and simmer for one hour. Add onions, potatoes, carrots. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 arama

only some northern accents and some dublin accents are ok

everyone else sounds like gards and tinkers

FACT :)

you havent a clue have you!!!!!!!!!!!!! such an ass hole
    dubs have the worst accent ever ever!! den with ur level of intelligence i reckon ur prob fron inner city dublin!!!!:mad: muppet

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

arama wrote: »
    den with ur level of intelligence i reckon ur prob fron inner city dublin!!!

Anyone else see the massive irony in this quality post?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Some Irish accents are great and others are horrible to listen to. Same as everywhere. Certain Cork accents are lovely on women.

I know what you mean about TV but thats fair city which is just bad acting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

irish accents are amongest the most favourite in the world. its a blessing to be single when travelling with an irish accent! as long as its not a "hows the going bud,ya know wat i mean ya bleeding sap" type dublin accent, a louth/meath accent or a f*cking d4 "i have something stuck up my hole accent, its a good one....

I have a great accent :D Well thats what people tell me. It is light and (some might think this bad) almost American. That would be due to me being around Americans all my life and being married to one. Sometimes my wife almost sounds more Irish than me.

Accents are funny, even in my family we all have different accents. My sister sounds different to me and my brother is a little different again. My sister when she hung around with skangers sounded like one but not any more.

I myself used to have a much more pronounced Dub accent but that changed when i stopped hanging around with the Ballyfermot croud.

When i was younger, in my teens. I think it was 1994, i was a dedicated Christian and went door to door once with missionaries from the church. This was in Navan by the way. Anyway when i spoke for the first time, some young girls my age who answered the door said to me in a horrible Navan accent "His accents luvley"

Anyway accents change somewhat depending on who you are around. When in the US i sound more American, back home i sound more Irish. Same with my wife, she sounds more American when she talks to Americans and less so when around Irish people.

I was pretty nieve back then as you can see. I hate people who knock on my door now and am certainly not a believer in any religion. How things change.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

arama wrote: »
    you havent a clue have you!!!!!!!!!!!!! such an ass hole
    dubs have the worst accent ever ever!! den with ur level of intelligence i reckon ur prob fron inner city dublin!!!!:mad: muppet

Banned bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I hate the way putt, put and push tend to merge into one pronounciation in Irish English. I also hate the letters "oar" and "haych".

Otherwise it's just Hiberno-English grammar that annoys the **** out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

latchyco wrote: »
    Big difference between the Hollywood stage Irish accent and what we hear in Dublin / Ireland and abroad .Dont think you could say the Irish accent is horrible when there are so many variations of it, some very nice and pleasent on the ears compared to the few which are horrible .But every race has it's share of horrible accents ,some British American and Aussie ones spring to mind .

I was going to send you a Boards valentine, but you can forget it now.

Deeply wounded:(.

Not all Aussie accents sound like the ones on Neighbours you know.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I've a strange appreciation for all Irish accents, how boring would it be if we all sounded the same ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I was going to send you a Boards valentine, but you can forget it now.

Deeply wounded:(.

Not all Aussie accents sound like the ones on Neighbours you know.:p
    Oh nooooooooooooooooooooo :eek: Nah , actually some Aussie accents like some American ones are marvellous and pleasent .

Just pointing out that each race including the Irish have horrendous ones .

* Patiently waits , (sigh ) if only I knew , if only I knew * :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Dublin accents I don't like. It's either faux posh or makes you feel the person is about to stab you in the eye.

Strong Cork accent as well but that just makes me laugh on the inside because it's just so so so so boggerish.

Erm... Northern Irish accents can get wearing as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Oh nooooooooooooooooooooo :eek: Nah , actually some Aussie accents like some American ones are marvellous and pleasent .

Just pointing out that each race including the Irish have horrendous ones .

* Patiently waits , (sigh ) if only I knew , if only I knew * :(

I like the desperate clawback, so you're forgiven!:D

embee wrote: »
    They're all variations on a Dublin accent, be it a posh, put-on Americanised accent, or the born and bread and buttered salt o' the earth northside Dublin accent.

There are other people out there - with other accents! Or do you only like Dublin accents?
    No of course not ,I am familer with all Irish accents . Being born and rared in Dublin ,with a mother from Co Clare and father from Co Down . Moving around Ireland with the Irish army as well as the obious relations made me appreciate the good and bad ones each region has .I was just using those Dublin people's accents as examples of probably having more high profile at a national / world level .I like some country accents more than others .

I find the Lietrim / Meath /wicklow one a bit harsh .;)

I like the desperate clawback, so you're forgiven!:D
    All's right with the world so :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

They're not really alike. Those counties are quite a bit apart. I get the feeling you just lump all country accents together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Bit late for the ironing innit?

Right, though you forget Cavan. And Wexford. And why haven't you given Wicklow the respect? Wicklow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

KateF wrote: »
    They're not really alike. Those counties are quite a bit apart. I get the feeling you just lump all country accents together.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I agree with the OP. The Irish accent - any Irish accent - tends not to translate well to TV/radio.

The soft T sound is terrible - you know the way we pronounce "gate", "late", "date" etc as "gaish", "laish", "daish". That said, whenever I hear Irish people pronouncing the T sharply, the way English people do it, I find my fist curling into a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I love Irish accents (all the different ones). I just hate Hollywood Irish accents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Tis a quality accent. I have managed to keep mine despite living in America and working in a library where I get at least once a week *smiley patron* "YOU'RE IRISH!" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Are you doing some kind of internet wide market research project or something?? Seen ya posting this on another website too ;)

KateF wrote: »
    Alike ? Apart ? ,what difference does that make :confused:

Some Cork and killarney and Tipparary accents are nice to,specially from females .Perhaps objectivity makes me appriciate the good and bad .You cant lump all country accents together unless you cant tell the difference ,which I can with most .
    Bit late for the ironing innit?

Right, though you forget Cavan. And Wexford. And why haven't you given Wicklow the respect? Wicklow
    I spent time up in Cavan , Monaghan , Coothill ,Drogheda and familier with Wexford accent to. For instance in Drogheda they will say '' the white hoss '' instead of '' the white horse '' .
    In Coothill they sometimes pronounce it as '' Ceethill '' ( which to a Dub can be amusing but not in condesending way ) :)

I think it depends on the individual .Like the guy i met abroad from Armagh who's harsh accent nobody could understand , Irish or foreign .It might have being because he came from a very rural background and place were the English language was broken down into local dilect / speak which is noticable amoung rural communitys all over Ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

The soft T sound is terrible - you know the way we pronounce "gate", "late", "date" etc as "gaish", "laish", "daish". That said, whenever I hear Irish people pronouncing the T sharply, the way English people do it, I find my fist curling into a ball.
    Isn't the soft t more of a south Dub thing though? I remember being an annoying teen and making fun of people that pronounced "great" as "graysh"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Mark200 wrote: »
    Does anyone else hate the Irish accent? I can't stand it. Like I'm sure I have one, but not a strong one. I cringe every time there's an Irish actor on TV with a strong Irish accent....which seems to be pretty much all Irish actors.

Also, before anyone suggests otherwise....I'm 100% Irish. I don't know of any blood relatives who are not Irish.
    What do you talk like then?I bet you have one of those really camp student accents.

Hrududu wrote: »
    Isn't the soft t more of a south Dub thing though? I remember being an annoying teen and making fun of people that pronounced "great" as "graysh"

Forget the soft "T" how about the Irish inability to pronounce "th". I personally do but a lot of people pronounce the number "three" as "Tree". Might be something to do with the Irish being "Trí" :D

They can not pronounce the "th" sound so "there" becomes "der" "the becomes "de" and so on.

Matt Cooper is a great journalist and i love his show (the last word) on Today FM but he can not pronounce "TH". It makes me wince, though its isually my wife who points it out.

You can say what you like about Americans but at the end of the day, unless they go to a ghetto school they will learn proper English and pronounce words better than any other English speaking country. Once you ignore certain American English versions like Aluminum and recognize with their either different spelling or different pronunciation.

My wife is horrified by punctuation and grammar mistakes and she did not even take a higher level English class.

I am too by some such as a lit of peoples inability to pick the correct "there" or "their" and "were" or "where" etc.

I myself tend not to bother capitalising my "i" (should be "I"). I also rarely add apostrophes in abbreviations like "theyre" should be "they're" and "im" should be "I'm".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Old Inner city accent is the best

Im tellin ye!

IRRIZ!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Forget the soft "T" how about the Irish inability to pronounce "th". I personally do but a lot of people pronounce the number "three" as "Tree".
    Oh I hate that. That is the only thing that really annoys me when I see an Irish actor on a British TV show. For some reason the actor is always one of the people that don't pronounce their "th"s properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

I really dont like my accent. I'm from Kilkenny.. I work in a call centre and the prompts are all recorded by me so I'm constantly cringing at it. I dont think I have a strong Kilkenny accent. but i really dont like it! :( It's real farmerish...

Can't stand posh Dublin accent or the Cork accent or Dundalk accent! Everywhere else is ok... bar my stoopid accent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

That Irish kid in the Harry Potter films annoys the hell out of me! :mad:

In general, a lot of the many Irish accents aren't too bad, it's just when they're so thick that you can barely understand a word they're saying; the accents, not the people.

Advertisement