Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D'Irish Accent

Options
  • 07-02-2009 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else hate the Irish accent? I can't stand it. Like I'm sure I have one, but not a strong one. I cringe every time there's an Irish actor on TV with a strong Irish accent....which seems to be pretty much all Irish actors.

Also, before anyone suggests otherwise....I'm 100% Irish. I don't know of any blood relatives who are not Irish.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

The posh dublin accent is the worst. Every other kind of accent I would tolerate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Big difference between the Hollywood stage Irish accent and what we hear in Dublin / Ireland and abroad .Dont think you could say the Irish accent is horrible when there are so many variations of it, some very nice and pleasent on the ears compared to the few which are horrible .But every race has it's share of horrible accents ,some British American and Aussie ones spring to mind .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

To be fair there's far worse accents out there.Do yo mean all Irish accents as there is a large number?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I like Irish accents, what I hate is when people go out of their way to make their accent less Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

well when you start a sentence with 'like' ,it mean you have that irish accent that everyone hates no matter where your from..but in all fairness we have a great accent.im proud of showing it off anyways forin:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Well I don't really mean the hollywood accents, more like the accents you hear on the shite are-t-e programmes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭sneakerfreak

only some northern accents and some dublin accents are ok

everyone else sounds like gards and tinkers

FACT :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭badabinbadaboom

Ah come now boyo, sure tis like the heavenly choir are crooning a lullaby everytime some soul a-blessed with the delightful Irish brogue opens his Gab, sure tis'nt it like me Da used to say when I brought up such a worry before him, he would lower his glass from his lips call another round and say, "Ah come now boyo, sure tis like the heavenly choir are crooning a lullaby everytime some soul a-blessed with the delightful Irish brogue opens his Gab, sure tis'nt it like me Da used to say when I brought up such a worry before him......"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

I like most Irish accents. I don't like the posh Dublin one. What do they think they are like? Wannabe Americans....
    And I don't like the Dundalk accent. Thats wrecks my head. Instead of saying "there" its "daay-ugh" so annoying.
    I like pretty much like any other Irish accent though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

tech2 wrote: »
    The posh dublin accent is the worst. Every other kind of accent I would tolerate

Yerr oi no wo' yerr meeahn.

• Advertisement

Take filums ;)

Victoria Smurfit has a nice accent .

Colum Meany's is funny and very typical dub .

Coiln farrell's is a south county dublin accent via LA

Brendean gleesons another typical dub acccent but very pleasent /funny on the ears .

None of the above is what I would call a horrible Irish accent

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Davidius wrote: »
    I like Irish accents, what I hate is when people go out of their way to make their accent less Irish.

well i hate when people go out of there to make their accent more irish......like Hector O'Hooleywhatever....he wrecks my head!!

Dustin the turkey doesnt do the Irish accent justice '' atall atall ''

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

what's wrong with the irish accent? english accents annoy me, the way they say aaaayyy instead of eeeee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭IHATELIBERTAS

yeah i love my accent tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Without an Irish accent it'd be impossible to sing this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXb_MhvIIzY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Mark200 wrote: »
    Does anyone else hate the Irish accent? I can't stand it. Like I'm sure I have one, but not a strong one. I cringe every time there's an Irish actor on TV with a strong Irish accent....which seems to be pretty much all Irish actors.

Also, before anyone suggests otherwise....I'm 100% Irish. I don't know of any blood relatives who are not Irish.

No sure how could you hate your own accent? I don't particularly like the sound of my own voice when I hear it but what I really hate is idiotic shams we have in our society today, they really piss me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Its great for picking up girls when when live abroad.

Never did me no harm ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ScarlettOHara

I am a southern belle gentlemen ( seeing as I am the original scarlet woman I won't be addressing the ladies in attendance) I quite like the way I talk, my pa ended up breaking his Irish neck and avoived all that civil war hullaballoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

I don't hate it, but when foreigners go on about how they love the Irish accent i just can't understand why.
    What I hate is people who think having an Irish accent must go hand in hand with having poor grammar. And being told I sound posh just because I speak English properly (albeit in an Irish accent).

Irish accents i quite like are:
    1. Dublin - not D4 or skanger, the "real" Dublin accent is lovely (most of the time). "Oranges, three for a euro!"
    2. The Cork accent on some people.
    3. The Kerry accent
    4. Northern Irish accent, if its not too strong.
    5. Non-regional - think newsreaders on TV3. Ahhhh.

I dislike:
    1. Limerick accent (I'm from Limerick)
    2. North-East accent (Meath, Louth, Monaghan) - they just sound thick, sorry.
    3. Midlands - vowels sounds are three times too long and sound like they are being made by a lame donkey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

At least with Irish accents I know where I stand. I've had a colleague for the past three years and I'm still non-the-wiser as to whether he is just a very posh bloke from South Dublin or whether he's from America.:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ronan001

What accent would you like to have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

fryup wrote: »
    well i hate when people go out of there to make their accent more irish......like Hector O'Hooleywhatever....he wrecks my head!!

totally agree he really turns the irish up to the max its foolish
    Svalbard wrote: »
    I don't hate it, but when foreigners go on about how they love the Irish accent i just can't understand why.
    What I hate is people who think having an Irish accent must go hand in hand with having poor grammar. And being told I sound posh just because I speak English properly (albeit in an Irish accent).

Irish accents i quite like are:
    1. Dublin - not D4 or skanger, the "real" Dublin accent is lovely (most of the time). "Oranges, three for a euro!"
    2. The Cork accent on some people.
    3. The Kerry accent
    4. Northern Irish accent, if its not too strong.
    5. Non-regional - think newsreaders on TV3. Ahhhh.

I dislike:
    1. Limerick accent (I'm from Limerick)
    2. North-East accent (Meath, Louth, Monaghan) - they just sound thick, sorry.
    3. Midlands - vowels sounds are three times too long and sound like they are being made by a lame donkey.

quite agree with this too...

ya cant beat a dublin accent...middle/working class but educated is absolutely top notch for story telling, humour, banter etc..

navan accent is worst along with 'carraig mac cross' in monaghan its a total muck savage accent..

absolute hate country folk who come up to dublin for college or work etc after school and adopt a south d4 type accent..should be shot! f*ucking wannabees idiots aaaaarrrrgh hate you people!!! f*ck off ya pieces of sh*t

rant over!

oh i like when people up north say 'i' for yes....cool it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Piriz wrote: »
    totally agree he really turns the irish up to the max its foolish

quite agree with this too...

ya cant beat a dublin accent...middle/working class but educated is absolutely top notch for story telling, humour, banter etc..

"educated" isn't exactly a accent group:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

latchyco wrote: »
    Take filums ;)

Victoria Smurfit has a nice accent .

Colum Meany's is funny and very typical dub .

Coiln farrell's is a south county dublin accent via LA

Brendean gleesons another typical dub acccent but very pleasent /funny on the ears .

None of the above is what I would call a horrible Irish accent

They're all variations on a Dublin accent, be it a posh, put-on Americanised accent, or the born and bread and buttered salt o' the earth northside Dublin accent.

There are other people out there - with other accents! Or do you only like Dublin accents?
    fryup wrote: »

He's from Navan. Most people I know from Navan speak more or less like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

....I'm 100% Irish.

And do you drive a taxi?.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

You say you hate the 'irish' accent - why exactly? There is such huge variety that you can't lump them all in as one accent. Mayo, Kerry, Dublin, Cavan...... just some examples that are very different from each other. Do you hate them all?

Is it really our accents that you hate or our pronunciations and tones? Are there other accents that you hate, say for example the aussie accent or a french accent, or is it purely the irish one that you dislike?
    Piriz wrote: »
    oh i like when people up north say 'i' for yes....cool it is!

Aye.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

Don't get why you hate Irish accents either tbh. Some are not good at all, but on the whole, I think our accents are grand. Shur!
    I like 'aye' too. Although originally a Scottish thing. But I like most Scottish accents!

Advertisement