Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loto or Euromillions? Best Odds

Options
  • 07-02-2009 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

So which is it? What do i have the best chance of winning?
    I know the Irish lotto added some numbers in the last couple of years does it still offer better odds than Euromillions?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

How many numbers are in the lotto? How many are in the Euromillions? How many do you have to match in each to win the big prize?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

How many numbers are in the lotto? How many are in the Euromillions? How many do you have to match in each to win the big prize?

Yeah that's all it's about really...

People always think the more people who play, the less chance of winning. But that's not true...you have the same chance of winning whether you're the only one playing or whether there's a million people....the amount of people playing only matters if you don't want to have to share your winnings with someone else who also won.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

irish lotto - 42 numbers - 6+1 for jackpot
    euro - 50 numbers - 5+2(the +2 being between 10 numbers) for jackpot

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Saruman wrote: »
    I know the Irish lotto added some numbers in the last couple of years does it still offer better odds than Euromillions?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

hmm... so more numbers for the Euromillions but you only need 5 numbers and two lucky stars?

And you need 6 numbers for the Irish Lotto although i do not think you need a Bonus number as figting irish said.

So im going to go with the Irish lotto as having better odds.

Does that sound right?

• Advertisement

hmm... so more numbers for the Euromillions but you only need 5 numbers and two lucky stars?

And you need 6 numbers for the Irish Lotto although i do not think you need a Bonus number as figting irish said.

So im going to go with the Irish lotto as having better odds.

Does that sound right?

yes defo

but i'd prefer 15 mil than 1 mil :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I would rather the €115m or whatever the max is, like that Limerick woman got :D

No more recession woes, even if i win only €1m that would kick the recessions ass :D

I would rather the €115m or whatever the max is, like that Limerick woman got :D

Theres no max prize, theres a max number of rollovers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

Em, I worked this out a while ago so I'm not sure if these figures are correct or not:
    The odds of winning the Irish lotto are 8 million to 1 approximately and the average jackpot is 2 or 3 million(?)

The odds of winning the euromillions is 76 million to 1 approximately and the average jackpot is between 15 and 25 million.

So the Irish lotto pays out one eigth of what the euromillions normally pays but you are 9.5 times more likely to win it. I'd say you're better off doing the Irish one because you have a much better chance of winning a small prize than on the euromillions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I would be happy with 250 K.enough to finish my house and be debt free.

• Advertisement

Em, I worked this out a while ago so I'm not sure if these figures are correct or not:
    The odds of winning the Irish lotto are 8 million to 1 approximately and the average jackpot is 2 or 3 million(?)

The odds of winning the euromillions is 76 million to 1 approximately and the average jackpot is between 15 and 25 million.

So the Irish lotto pays out one eigth of what the euromillions normally pays but you are 9.5 times more likely to win it. I'd say you're better off doing the Irish one because you have a much better chance of winning a small prize than on the euromillions.

but second prize in euromillions is practically the same as the irish lotto jacktop

and i think the second prize in the irish lotto is something crap like 20 grand lol

galwayrush wrote: »
    I would be happy with 250 K.enough to finish my house and be debt free.

but you'd still be slaving away for the rest of your life working 9-5?

foock that

but you'd still be slaving away for the rest of your life working 9-5?

foock that
    Of course i'd love more, always did, it's just now i'm ****ing desperate.:(

Of course i'd love more, always did, it's just now i'm ****ing desperate.:(

haha

thats what happens when you think its a good idea to buy a 300k 4 bed house with a garden the size of your mickey

but second prize in euromillions is practically the same as the irish lotto jacktop

and i think the second prize in the irish lotto is something crap like 20 grand lol

Aye, to be honest I just do the euromillions anytime its ridiculously high like 80 million plus, just to shut my brain up!

Just after reading this on wikipedia. This guy actually put into practice what we have all considered at some point!!

"""Lotto 6/36: 1988–92

In Lotto's inaugural 6/36 format, six numbered balls were drawn from a lottery machine containing thirty-six balls. Players could win a share of a guaranteed £250,000 jackpot by matching all six numbers, or win smaller prizes by matching four or five numbers. If no winning ticket was sold, the jackpot rolled over for the next draw. Drawings continued each Saturday night until 30 May 1990, when the National Lottery introduced a midweek Lotto draw on Wednesday nights. Lotto draws have been held twice weekly since that time.

In a 6/36 lottery, the odds of matching all six numbers and winning the jackpot are 1 in 1,947,792, so at Lotto's initial cost of £0.50 per line, all possible combinations could be purchased for £973,896. This theoretically left Lotto vulnerable to a brute force attack—and when the jackpot reached £1.7 million for the May 1992 bank holiday drawing, a 28-member Dublin-based syndicate, organized and headed by Polish-Irish businessman Stefan Klincewicz, attempted to put theory into practice. Klincewicz's team had spent six months preparing by marking combinations on almost a quarter of a million paper playslips. In the days before the drawing they tried to buy up all possible combinations and thus win all possible prizes, including the jackpot.

The National Lottery tried to foil the plan by limiting the number of tickets any single machine could sell, and by turning off the terminals Klincewicz's ticket purchasers were known to be using heavily. Despite its efforts, the syndicate did manage to buy over 1.6 million combinations, spending an estimated £820,000 on tickets. It had the winning numbers on the night—but two other winning tickets were sold, so the syndicate could claim only one-third of the jackpot, or £568,682. Match-5 and match-4 prizes brought the syndicate's total winnings to approximately £1,166,000, representing a profit of around £310,000 before expenses.

Klincewicz later appeared on the television talk show Kenny Live and capitalized on his short-lived notoriety with a self-published lottery-system book entitled Win the Lotto."""

haha

thats what happens when you think its a good idea to buy a 300k 4 bed house with a garden the size of your mickey

I didn't,;) i bought a 2 acre site 12 years ago and built a 4,000 sq ft house plus 1,000 ft attic on it as i had money and a 100k 5 year loan. don't feel like waiting 4 more years to borrow another 60k to finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Even if you lived 20 lifetimes you probably wouldnt win the lotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The odds of winning the €uromillions is 1 in 1:76,275,360
    The odds of winning the Irish Lotto is 1:5,245,786

So technically you are nearly 15 times more likely to win the Irish Lotto but if the Jackpots are greater than 15:1 them the €uromillions is your best bet

The odds of winning the €uromillions is 1 in 25,425,120,000:1
    The odds of winning the Irish Lotto is 3,776,965,920:1

So technically you are nearly 8 times more likely to win the Irish Lotto but if the Jackpots are greater than 8:1 them the €uromillions is your best bet

Those odds are very wrong but the ratios are close enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,291 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Try the Ballyjamesduff Blotto for good odds.

Match 4 from 25 numbers, 1 in 125000 odds :pac:

• Advertisement

Those odds are very wrong but the ratios are close enough.
    Fixed. I totally fcuked up my first calculations

I didn't,;) i bought a 2 acre site 12 years ago and built a 4,000 sq ft house plus 1,000 ft attic on it as i had money and a 100k 5 year loan. don't feel like waiting 4 more years to borrow another 60k to finish it.

i was only taking the mickey :D

fair fooks to ya :cool:

if i win tonight, i'll give ya 60k

Fixed. I totally fcuked up my first calculations

my ratios were off it seems!:pac:

i was only taking the mickey :D

fair fooks to ya :cool:

if i win tonight, i'll give ya 60k

I know you were taking the micke;) I laughed because people payed 440K upwards for houses in my area, they are probably worth 150K less now. If they bought land and built, they would have saved at least the 150K in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Try the Bookies lotto. You'll get €100,000 matching 5 numbers from 6 drawn. Its a lot more than the Irish main lotto for teh same amount of numbers. ( i think 6 numbers is max payout of 150k) http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_mainlottery&xgame_type=IR

Now, would you prefer having the greater odds of getting 100k from the bookies or hell of alot much lesser odds of a million quid from the main lotto?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zreba

The odds of winning the €uromillions is 1 in 76,275,360:1
    The odds of winning the Irish Lotto is 5,245,786:1

So technically you are nearly 15 times more likely to win the Irish Lotto but if the Jackpots are greater than 15:1 them the €uromillions is your best bet

are you sure it's not:

The odds of winning the €uromillions 1:76,275,360

because your game seems to be very optimistic :)

zreba wrote: »
    are you sure it's not:

The odds of winning the €uromillions 1:76,275,360

because your game seems to be very optimistic :)
    Jaysis If I've to correct that fcuking post anymore tiimes :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Lotto is extra tax for people who are bad at maths.:D
    I believe the national lotto pays out roughly 45% of the takings. Need I say more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 moleyC

I don't know about Jackpots, but in relation to the smaller prizes, I only do the Euromillions now, I used to do one line on the Irish lotto twice a week and one on the Euro and after a while I noticed that I would win a few bob on the Euro maybe 3 times more often than the Irish, hence I stopped doing the Irish lottery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

realcam wrote: »
    Lotto is extra tax for people who are bad at maths.:D
    I believe the national lotto pays out roughly 45% of the takings. Need I say more?

Tell that to that one in limerick

Advertisement