Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England v Italy (pre/during/post thread)

Options
  • 06-02-2009 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

125.gif130.gif
    England v Italy
    Saturday 7 February 2009 3.00pm
    Twickenham, London
    Live on RTÉ2, RTÉ.ie, RTÉ Radio 1; BBC1, BBC Radio 5 Live

England|No.|Italy
    Delon Armitage|15|Andrea Masi
    Paul Sackey|14|Kaine Robertson
    Jamie Noon|13|Gonzalo Canale
    Riki Flutey|12|Gonzalo Garcia
    Mark Cueto|11|Mirco Bergamasco
    Andy Goode|10|Andrea Marcato
    Harry Ellis|9|Mauro Bergamasco
    Andrew Sheridan|1|Fabio Ongaro
    Lee Mears|2|Salvatore Perugini
    Phil Vickery|3|Martin Castrogiovanni
    Steve Borthwick|4|Santiago Dellape
    Nick Kennedy|5|Marco Bortolami
    James Haskell|6|Josh Sole
    Steffon Armitage|7|Alessandro Zanni
    Nick Easter|8|Sergio Parisse
    England replacements: Hartley, White, Croft, Worsley, Foden, Geraghty, Tait.

Italy replacements: Festuccia, Nieto, Reato, J-F Montauriol, Toniolatti, McLean, Pratichetti.
    Referee: Mark Lawrence (South Africa)
    Assistant referees: Joel Jutge (France), Peter Allan (Scotland)
    I think it's difficult to see beyond an England win. No doubt the selection of Bergamasco at scrumhalf points to a forward effort from Italy, and they'll try and frustrate England and drag them into a dogfight. Hopefully Italy can make a game of it, and keep the score within twenty points.
    From England's pov they'll be looking a big performance from their halfbacks who are no strangers to each other from their time in Leicester. The back line is stong, and should have enough to put a few tries on Italy, although the pack is where the real battle is. Looking forward to it, and it will be interesting to see how Italy fare in their first day out.
    Expect a bruising encounter.

Comments

Dont see the Italian team in the above post so here it is.

Italy: 15 Andrea Masi, 14 Kane Robertson, 13 Gonzalo Canale, 12 Gonzalo Garcia, 11 Mirco Bergamasco, 10 Andrea Marcato, 9 Mauro Beragamasco, 8 Sergio Parisse (captain), 7 Alessandro Zanni, 6 Josh Sole, 5 Marco Bortolami, 4 Santiago Dellapé, 3 Martin Castrogiovani, 2 Fabio Ongaro, 1 Salvatore Perugini.

Edit: Curse you and your quick editing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Forza Italia.....!!! Lovely pack, think they'll give England a fright...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I don't see how England could have picked a worse backline given the players they have.

And Tindall's an injury doubt so Noon could be called in. link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Dont see the Italian team in the above post so here it is.

Italy: 15 Andrea Masi, 14 Kane Robertson, 13 Gonzalo Canale, 12 Gonzalo Garcia, 11 Mirco Bergamasco, 10 Andrea Marcato, 9 Mauro Beragamasco, 8 Sergio Parisse (captain), 7 Alessandro Zanni, 6 Josh Sole, 5 Marco Bortolami, 4 Santiago Dellapé, 3 Martin Castrogiovani, 2 Fabio Ongaro, 1 Salvatore Perugini.

Edit: Curse you and your quick editing :p

Yeah, we had some editing problems!

Really hope the Italy pack can front up and put England on the back foot. Parisse MOTM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Defnitly one to avoid for the fair weather rugby fan. It'll be a very interesting spectecale though, looking forward to this new 9 man rugby. I wonder if it will catch one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

The English, in fairness, are hardly light weight in the pack so i think it'll be a good contest up front. Key to this is how well the Italians defend IMO. They can't afford to give up cheap tries like they do on occassion. If they keep themselves in it i think they've every chance at turning them over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Tindall is out, Jamie Noon in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The first thing that struct me was how poor that team is, not that there are better players waiting in the wings.

Goode at 10, Riki Flutey at 12 - one of the weakest 10/12's in International rugby.

That Italian team isn't bad, interesting backline changes - and I've a sneaky feeling they could get something out of England.

zAbbo wrote: »
    The first thing that struct me was how poor that team is, not that there are better players waiting in the wings.

Spot on...going for stability and grunt. As Warren Gatland reportedly said..not worried about the first XV, but I'm glad we're not playing the Saxons. Mischievious probably...but a definite element of truth in there...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Got 8/1 on Italy winning at the half followed by an England victory. More or less what I think will happen too. Italy will push England close for 60 mins I'd say, but they're going to leak tries eventually. I'd be tempted to put money on Italy if the game was in Rome - that English team is quite weak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

This will be great Brian Moore will be at this best in ranting at them for kicking the ball away today!

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Got 8/1 on Italy winning at the half followed by an England victory. More or less what I think will happen too. Italy will push England close for 60 mins I'd say, but they're going to leak tries eventually. I'd be tempted to put money on Italy if the game was in Rome - that English team is quite weak.

Agree Podge, but ever the optimist, i've stuck a pony on the Italians to win...just reckon that England outfit might implode if they cant break the Italians down in the first half...wishful thinking I know, but I've got a feeling about this one, but then I'm also predicting a Scottish win in Murrayfield tomorrow....must be all that crack I've been smoking...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

For anyone with FreesatHD or a SKY HD box or using a DVB-S card with a PC, this match is being shown in full High Definition goodness on BBCHD.

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Love the post juvenal, the crests and everything!! You're really classing this place up!! Good job!! :p

I'd love to say Italy could nick this one, but I just can't see England losing it. Not a great English team at all and I think it will be a tight enough game for about 60 minutes, but my gut says England reasonably comfortable in the end. Should be a good, tough fought game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

wheres good to watch this near croke park?

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Love the post juvenal, the crests and everything!!

+1, very aesthetically pleasing

The BBC are being absurdly overly optimistic about England's chances in this game. They're probably going to win, but they're treating it like a fait accompli - asking about the margin instead of who will win.

I intensely dislike when they have someone leading the crowd for the anthems.

Looking forward to this, if the rugby is awful atleast I'll get a chance to laugh and how poor Andy Goode is.

Looking forward to this, if the rugby is awful atleast I'll get a chance to laugh and how poor Andy Goode is.

You pillock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

:D You must have loved that try!

Oh Italy, why throw to the back on a defensive throw in??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

The balls behind you Mauro... :(

England 7, Italy 0.

Appalling Italian start, shooting themselves in the foot..England wont get an easier try all season...

This is looking ominous for Italy already... lots of mistakes, nerves and Bergamasco looking unsuited to scrum half

Who had 7 minutes for the first bout of 'Sweet Chariot'?

Bergamasco's pass is actually decent enough, it just takes him an absolute age to get the ball away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Masi missed penalty, Italy looking a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭Trampas

Italy are bad

Normal Andy Goode service has been resumed.

• Advertisement

Hmm Andy not so Goode. Two missed pens.

Advertisement