Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Maintenance of an audi 4.2l v8 S6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

holy hell. Well that seals that. He said he can have it done for a few hundred. I'll leave him take care of it and pay a few hundred more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You can change the belt for a few hundred, thats but half the job (well not even that!) The roller tensioners, water pump etc should also be changed as the new belt will put a strain on the older components which could then let go.

To be honest, it sounds like you could be walking into a minefield, many a complex barge thats not worth that much and which a vendor just wants to shift will be repaired/maintained at minimal cost and important stuff will be ignored and then a hapless buyer gets landed with a lemon than will cost as much to fix as it did to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

It's pricey, but not quite that bad!

I got the timing belt done on the RS6 a couple of months ago, I'm pretty sure the non-turbo 4.2 V8 is the same (open to correction!).

Here's the diagram and parts list:
    rs6timingbeltnb5.jpg

Including a new waterpump and thermostat, the timing belt side of the job came to €680 + VAT for parts.
    Labour, including an engine service (oil + filters) came to €722 + VAT.

This was all in an Audi main dealer, totals up to just under €1600 inc. VAT.

Heh! You have the same catalogue I have!

I stand by my thoughts in the second paragraph though. The OP should read through
    reviews for the V8 engine A6 models here

It's actually a private sale. it's on 70000 so it's due the big service alright i was assuming that was what he meant. He said he was going to get his mate who he says is an auditech to do it so he'd get it cheaper for a few hundred(pounds). Thanks for the heads up mike. Alarm bells tingling a bit now so i'll make sure the proper service is done before i go any further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,983 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Or buy an S-class or a 7-series. No cambelts to worry about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Wow, Mike65's link is a real treasure trove... never knew about it!

Hey guys quick update. Talked to the guy today. CB not done but he has the full Kit from Audi and would sell car with the kit for 5250GBP. Would take 5500 with the CB done inc full service. Seems Genuine. It's a Saloon 00 in Nogaro Blue with black alcantara int 74000miles A5 Alloys. Had it a year. I have a mate who could do the CB on a weekend gratis. Opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

DanGerMus wrote: »
    Hey guys quick update. Talked to the guy today. CB not done but he has the full Kit from Audi and would sell car with the kit for 5250GBP. Would take 5500 with the CB done inc full service. Seems Genuine. It's a Saloon 00 in Nogaro Blue with black alcantara int 74000miles A5 Alloys. Had it a year. I have a mate who could do the CB on a weekend gratis. Opinions?

Any link to the add? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

• Advertisement

Car looks the business. Wouldn't be mad one the badges though. Did you ask him if they were replica wheels?

Minor details though.

I'd say take the car and the kit and do it yourself. Make sure everything is done to your standard from day one, no worries.

Meant to ask about the wheels. I will. Yeah badges would be off for sure. Might leave it debadged or pop proper ones on. Can't stand fakers you'd swear being an S6 wasn't good enough. Guy seems to like his cars had a passat W8 before this and has an X5(not my kinda thing) now. Works for british gas. Prob do a HPI check so and pick up this weekend.

Meant to ask about the wheels. I will. Yeah badges would be off for sure. Might leave it debadged or pop proper ones on. Can't stand fakers you'd swear being an S6 wasn't good enough. Guy seems to like his cars had a passat W8 before this and has an X5(not my kinda thing) now. Works for british gas. Prob do a HPI check so and pick up this weekend.

Aye i don't understand changing the badges. You won't be able to, but he might, be able to sell the number plate. Could be worth a few bob, although it would more than likely take more than the few days to sort it out.

Edit: On the note of the badges, they render the plate pointless do they not?

Indeed they do, just adding to the silly pointlessness. Re the licence the thought had crossed my mind about sekking it do i not own the reg once it's sold to me or does it die once its transferred out of the country. I have relations in England could i transfer ownership to my name at their address and try to shift it from there or something. Any other ideas maybe. Hey what if i leave the car reg'd to my uncle how long could i get away with the tax and vrt and that? sure this kind of thing has been discussed in the UK thread.

Indeed they do, just adding to the silly pointlessness. Re the licence the thought had crossed my mind about sekking it do i not own the reg once it's sold to me or does it die once its transferred out of the country. I have relations in England could i transfer ownership to my name at their address and try to shift it from there or something. Any other ideas maybe. Hey what if i leave the car reg'd to my uncle how long could i get away with the tax and vrt and that? sure this kind of thing has been discussed in the UK thread.

To save yourself any bashing, just pay the VRT. Few begruders hiding in the woodwork will be along soon to give out about that lol!

I'm not sure re the registration, but i'm fairly sure you could transfer it into your Uncles name. See what it's worth first, then decide if it's worth the hassle.

quick flick on ebay possibly worth a couple hundred to the right buyer. Dunno nothing is goin to stop me picking it up this weekend though. Not up on soccer is there a match in Manu this weekend as the flights that were a tenner last time i checked (for different date) are now 150!

PS i now need an Auto lesson never driven one.

quick flick on ebay possibly worth a couple hundred to the right buyer. Dunno nothing is goin to stop me picking it up this weekend though. Not up on soccer is there a match in Manu this weekend as the flights that were a tenner last time i checked (for different date) are now 150!

PS i now need an Auto lesson never driven one.

Very easy to drive an auto.

Right so, starting off with most autos you will have four options to choose from. In this order, P R N D (Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive).

When the car is stationary, ie. if you are parking it etc. you will be selecting park.

When reversing, you will be pushing your foot on the brake, and then (normally there is a button on the back of the gear level) which you will press and then pull it into the relevant gear. Note. You now have a gear selected. Taking your foot of the break will end in the car starting to reverse. Normally they will reverse at a steady speed for 3-4 mph without you touching the accelerator. If you want to stop, or slow the reversing speed, feather the brake, or push it completely.

Neutral is neutral. The car is free rooling. Foot on the brake to stop the car.

D. Once you have selected D, and take your foot off the break, the car will start to go forward. To stop it going forward, push the break. To make it go faster, push the accelerator. Very simple. (On some cars, when you push the accelerator to the floor, you can push it that bit more, feels like you are pushing a button with the accelerator, and this tell the car you want to give it a bit of welly, and depandant on revs, it will drop a gear if needed)

Tiptronic. Once you are in D, slide the gear stick to the right into the tirtronic mode. This is essentially a manual, without a clutch. Just being in tiptronic, the car will now go into high revs through each gear.
    To change down a gear, simple flick the gearstick down towards you once, to change up gear, flick the gear stick up. To go back into normal driving mode, push the gear stick back to the left.

Remember, your left foot is now redundant, it now gets a good rest. If I have left anything unclear let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,983 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Way too complicated ^^^

Get into car. Disable or remove left leg - don't use it until you get out of the car! Gear box is in P. Start engine while right foot is on the brake pedal. Move gear into D. Lift right foot off brake pedal and onto accelerator pedal. Off you go...

unkel wrote: »
    Way too complicated ^^^

Get into car. Disable or remove left leg - don't use it until you get out of the car! Gear box is in P. Start engine while right foot is on the brake pedal. Move gear into D. Lift right foot off brake pedal and onto accelerator pedal. Off you go...

Believe me, I've been on many a test drive with people who haven't driven Autos. Alot easier and shorter to explain in person, but alot of people find it complicated at first.

Hey lads thanks for that hopfully i'll be able to figure it out from those guidelines. Haven't finalised it yet but i'm goin to call him in the morning and hopfully organise it for Sat or Sunday. He's in Manchester is it quickest to come by Holyhead Dun Laoighre or Fishguard to Rosslare. Not a fan of Boats if i'm honest less time on the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Believe me, I've been on many a test drive with people who haven't driven Autos. Alot easier and shorter to explain in person, but alot of people find it complicated at first.

Always funny when the newbie auto driver puts their left foot on the brake pedal and slams everyone into the windshield. :D

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Always funny when the newbie auto driver puts their left foot on the brake pedal and slams everyone into the windshield. :D

Done it myself twice lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Not so much fun if you're behind them though! :D

That said, left foot braking is the way to drive automatics, it just takes a bit of time and practice for it to become instinctive and controlled.

Done it myself twice lol!

An embarassment to your sex, Sir!

awe crud. Got a hpi report and i gotta say not happy.

He declared the Cat D to me and explained that someone had bumped him and only caused damage to suspension for which he got a quote and on the grounds of this the car was written off as uneconomical repair but he took the car and got it fixed himself. His story seemed fine BUT...

Anyway if i'm right the dates of reg don't match up with his story as the date of last reg change came after the write off which seems like to me that he got the car and fixed it after. also 6 owners!!!

i'll attach the report..opinions. Maybe i'm reading it wrong.

I'm confused as to how the reg system works over there, so i can't comment on that.

Was it damaged in it's first year as well as being damaged last year? I'd do another check on it before you go over, but be very weary of what you are buying.

At the same time, a lot of cars will have been crashed at one point, but as long as they are repaired right it's no biggy. Maybe one of those AA checks might be of benifit to you?

That lad who bought it early last year obviously bought it, fixed it, and sold it on not so long later for a profit.

I wouldn't be too shy in bargaining with the current owner.

Edit: I'm just wondering, since it has gone through the same reg twice, maybe that's why it is showing damage for the first time. Maybe it's just showing while it was under that S6KSR reg it was damaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭frag4

the six pervious owners has my alarms ringing.
    Seems nobody loved the car to keep it long enough.
    A person buying a car like this would be very sure of what they want.

frag4 wrote: »
    the six pervious owners has my alarms ringing.
    Seems nobody loved the car to keep it long enough.
    A person buying a car like this would be very sure of what they want.

Car is nine years old. One of those owners was for two months. That leaves five. 5 owners for a high performance car in 9 years is nothing to get excited over. Nearly 2 years per owner.

I always worry if a car has had "too many" owners.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    I always worry if a car has had "too many" owners.

It's like saying a car has too high mileage, it's all about averages;)

Advertisement