Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

23yr old getting insured on an R6

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

paulieeye wrote: »
    lol...so the options are...
    a) you'll be a slightly better rider
    b) dead

no one could ever get enough training and lessons to handle that as a 1st bike. Only experience will do that

Young lads love big bikes....

calling them coffin dodgers and asking them to get fitted for wooden overcoats wont work. THEY WILL DO IT ANYWAYS.

Why not try and engage them in something more productive LIKE>>>>

giving advise they might follow.

ride the big bike with respect.

get training..!

get into a social groups that can advise you on the way they want to ride. Ride outs and track days. Peeps that listen ,, instead of dictate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

gsxr1 wrote: »

I would never use a sports bike for road riding again. They are not meant to be on an irish road.
    Speaking of Irish roads, the pot holes are on the way back. :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

His first post on boards and he is talking about braking 4/5 laws...good man.

You need to hang out Here a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Robdublin wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm 23 have no bike licence and mad to get out on the road on an R6.

Is it possible to do my full test, buy the bike, insure it with Quinn or whoever else would take me on (?) claim the bike is restricted and get out on the road with it. I'm sure my insurance could possibly be void and I'm not sure what action the guards take on something like this but I'm just exploring possibilities.

Also would it be possible to get insured in the north if you had an address there, buy your bike & do your full english test there (as far as I know you dont need 2 yrs experience before you can ride big bikes up there) get insured and your away?

Any tips on how to get on the road on an R6 ASAP appreciated, thanks.
    If/when you get an R6 + insurance/license, can you please let me know what roads you will be driving on so that I can avoid them?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 maine

A 23 yr old is well capable of driving an R6, sorry guys but its a fact. Stop being idiots! If u want to drive fast u will, whether it be on a bike with a large cc or not. Get over it. Hopefully you already know how to ride a bike, if not you have you work cut out. I am 22 and i have had one and i have raced bikes since the age of 10, our laws are ridiculous, i did my test when i was 16 on an nsr 80 and then i was told i had 2 do it again at 18?! so i went abroad to do it. If you happen to be in the states or another country where u may have an address or may have to work, get one thr and change it for an eu. Do an aon bike test, that will bring down the insurance, if u pass that i presume u deserve to be out thr with the rest of the idiots that doubt you. ur prob looking at about 1500euro for ins. thats the only way ur prob gonna get close to driving an R6. Maybe try out a few track days they are good fun, that might kill ur appetite for a while?!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

maine wrote: »
    A 23 yr old is well capable of driving an R6, sorry guys but its a fact. Stop being idiots!. Hopefully you already know how to ride a bike,

Not saying it's age thing-saying it's a lack of experience thing.

OP says he has no license, and so cannot be said to be overly-experienced. "Hopefully" he can ride a bike is right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Robdublin,

If you are serious about getting into motorcycling then I would follow the path that many of us experienced riders here on boards have, i.e. the one's of us who are still alive. Work your way up, there is no hurry!

I didn't, and wouldn't, start on a 600cc sports-bike.

Consider the other countless models available to you. The new 250 Ninja is a nice bike.

Obviously before you do any of this I would strongly advise getting some beginner lessons with a local school. Lessons are cheaper than replacing expensive fairings.
    Get yourself insured. Be legal.
    Once you buy your bike. Get advanced lessons. The type that teach you how to read road conditions and to anticipate danger, these are invaluable!

If the R6 has one you over then buy it, but get it restricted.

Good luck with it and hopefully after some training you'll become another responsible, safe, and successful rider! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

A 23 yr old is well capable of driving an R6, sorry guys but its a fact. Stop being idiots! If u want to drive fast u will, whether it be on a bike with a large cc or not. Get over it. Hopefully you already know how to ride a bike, if not you have you work cut out. I am 22 and i have had one and i have raced bikes since the age of 10, our laws are ridiculous, i did my test when i was 16 on an nsr 80 and then i was told i had 2 do it again at 18?! so i went abroad to do it. If you happen to be in the states or another country where u may have an address or may have to work, get one thr and change it for an eu. Do an aon bike test, that will bring down the insurance, if u pass that i presume u deserve to be out thr with the rest of the idiots that doubt you. ur prob looking at about 1500euro for ins. thats the only way ur prob gonna get close to driving an R6. Maybe try out a few track days they are good fun, that might kill ur appetite for a while?!!

Six month old thread and you didn't even read it before posting crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

blah blah blah
    resurecting an old thread with no real purpose: :rolleyes:
    spelling: u r kding me
    merit to opinion = "meh"

thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

A 50 year old shouldn't ride an R6 if he never drove anything before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Quint wrote: »
    A 50 year old shouldn't ride an R6 if he never drove anything before.

I think the general point throughout this thread is an R6 isn't a first bike for anyone, no matter what age.

Get yourself a ZZR14 instead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Are you still alive MR R6? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Are you still alive MR R6? :rolleyes:

No.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement