Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

23yr old getting insured on an R6

Options
  • 05-02-2009 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I'm 23 have no bike licence and mad to get out on the road on an R6.

Is it possible to do my full test, buy the bike, insure it with Quinn or whoever else would take me on (?) claim the bike is restricted and get out on the road with it. I'm sure my insurance could possibly be void and I'm not sure what action the guards take on something like this but I'm just exploring possibilities.

Also would it be possible to get insured in the north if you had an address there, buy your bike & do your full english test there (as far as I know you dont need 2 yrs experience before you can ride big bikes up there) get insured and your away?

Any tips on how to get on the road on an R6 ASAP appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

You will not get insured on an R6 unless you have a few years no claims bonus. And with good right to......you will hurt yourself. You are talking about wanting to drive it unrestricted which is just madness, there are so many things wrong with your post, i just dont know where to start!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Have you got an organ donor card yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Do your full test, buy the bike, insure it!

By the time you do all of this you will be 25 or 26 probably. Its feasible (but very costly) but whats your rush lad? What bike are you gonna learm to drive on first, a school bike?

My advice: apply for your provisional licence and get then get some approved, then after that if you like riding a motorbike and can afford it, buy a suitable one for doing your test and driving around getting practice ie 200 to 650 cc.

best of luck with your test!

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

How much biking experience do you have? That's a crazy bike to start with, even if someone was silly enough to give you insurance.
    The limitation on the Irish licence is there for a reason - so you can get near-death experiences at lower speeds and learn from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

Don't. You don't have a clue what you'd be getting yourself into.
    Really, don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Seriously, starting on an R6 is madness! I reckon you wouldn't get it home from the garage or from where ever you bought it from!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Popeleo wrote: »
    How much biking experience do you have? That's a crazy bike to start with, even if someone was silly enough to give you insurance.
    The limitation on the Irish licence is there for a reason - so you can get near-death experiences at lower speeds and learn from them.

There has never been any proof that restricting people to low powered bikes is safer and there is some evidence that the restricted bikes are more dangerous in certain situations.

But please don't go believing that they have restricted licences for our safety because it's not. They just want to ban them and are slowly but surely getting there.

There is nothing wrong with getting on a full power bike as a novice, but lots of proper training is required. Not just a few lessons to get you licence.

OP, the North has the same restricted licences we have and the only way to get a Direct access licence is to establish residency in England or Wales and apply there.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

^

I actually agree with you (apart from the banning paranoia bit:D). BUT the fact that the authorities here don't give a toss about driver or rider training makes restrictions preferable IMHO. Maybe it's seen as adequate in a car but not a bike. You're basically forced to educate yourself by booking rider training or just through experience over time.

I have friends that have done (cage) driving tests in Germany and Japan - their descriptions of the hoops they had to jump through to get a licence make Ireland's system laughable by comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

There are lots of things wrong with your post that I genuinely would question whether you are mature enough to get out on a machine like an R6.
    if you have never driven a bike before, any motorbike will feel silly fast, especially compared to a car. I used to have a daytona 675 before my present r1 (675 is a competitor to the R6). let me tell you, the 675 was bonkers quick. You really need to get a bit of experience behind you before you contemplate a bigger bike. Its not just the acceleration that can catch you out, its learning how to handle the frights and things that can and do go wrong regularly when you are out on a bigger bike. Such as when the rear wheel kicks out on a wet day , springs to mind.
    Please do not take offense at this or other posts. We are genuinely trying to prevent another statistic in the newspapers.
    If on the other hand you like the look of the R6 , you may be able to get one factory restricted. I know suzuki do a gsxr600 factory restricted. Nobody can tell looking at it its restricted or full power. Factory restricted bikes also tend to hold their value better.

Alternatively, a fantastic starter bike, and fairly quick to boot... looks the bomb as well...
    http://www.yamaha-motor.co.uk/products/motorcycles/125cc/yzf-r125.jsp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Robdublin

I agree that an R6 is a monster of a bike for a begginer which I am. I caught the motorbike bug when I rented a cbr400 in Thailand three years ago and that was an unbelievably quick bike. I bought a CBR 250 during the summer for 2 months and did small mileage around the backroads in Meath where I live, illegal, dangerous, immature say what you will. I'd love a nice 4 cylinder bike to be legally allowed drive at the weekend and the odd time during the week. The Yamaha r125 is a great looking bike and I also thought about an Aprilla rs125 but the sound of the engine would eventually drive me mad.

Any other options out there?

Thanks for all your advice and concern, its much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

take it to mondello and do a track training day. Thats the right place for an R6.

you will learn more in one day about sports bikes than 2 years of road riding.

Keep it on the track.

get your self a wee supermoto for the road.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Robdublin wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm 23 have no bike licence and mad to get out on the road on an R6.

Is it possible to do my full test, buy the bike, insure it with Quinn or whoever else would take me on (?) claim the bike is restricted and get out on the road with it. I'm sure my insurance could possibly be void and I'm not sure what action the guards take on something like this but I'm just exploring possibilities.

Also would it be possible to get insured in the north if you had an address there, buy your bike & do your full english test there (as far as I know you dont need 2 yrs experience before you can ride big bikes up there) get insured and your away?

Any tips on how to get on the road on an R6 ASAP appreciated, thanks.

I would advise you to buy a wooden overcoat and a plot of ground before you get on that bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Get a licence, get legal and get some lessons before you kill yourself or one of us!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Such as when the rear wheel kicks out on a wet day , springs to mind.

Yeah, because that never happens on a 125...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Del2005 wrote: »
    There has never been any proof that restricting people to low powered bikes is safer and there is some evidence that the restricted bikes are more dangerous in certain situations.

But please don't go believing that they have restricted licences for our safety because it's not. They just want to ban them and are slowly but surely getting there.

There is nothing wrong with getting on a full power bike as a novice, but lots of proper training is required. Not just a few lessons to get you licence.

OP, the North has the same restricted licences we have and the only way to get a Direct access licence is to establish residency in England or Wales and apply there.
    Right so letting someone hop onto an unrestricted bike that is capable of 160 miles an hour is safe? Your argument that restrictions aren't there for our safety is totally and utterly absurd, you really need to take off the tinfoil hat.
    FruitLover wrote: »
    Yeah, because that never happens on a 125...

Its a hell of a lot more forgiving doing it on a 125.

TO OP- If you're set on a 600 get one and get it restricted or a factory restricted one if possible, you might miss out on some of the thrills but you won't be coming home to your family in a body bag. And then when you have the experience of a couple of years of biking and a couple of years of NCB under your belt get yourself an unrestricted R6.

Right so letting someone hop onto an unrestricted bike that is capable of 160 miles an hour is safe? Your argument that restrictions aren't there for our safety is totally and utterly absurd, you really need to take off the tinfoil hat.

If a person has proper training it's as safe as any other bike. And when you have proper training you learn that the throttle goes both ways, you read the road and drive for the conditions.

Also bikes are designed for the power the put out, they have brakes and tires to match. When they are restricted they aren't preforming to their abilities and can be more dangerous then the full powered version in some cases.

And if it's so dangerous to let novices out on full power bikes why does the UK excluding NI, which has some of the highest road safety standards, allow it?

If a person has proper training it's as safe as any other bike. And when you have proper training you learn that the throttle goes both ways, you read the road and drive for the conditions.
    A couple of lessons won't give you the experience needed to ride a powerful motorbike well, its takes years of experience.
    Also bikes are designed for the power the put out, they have brakes and tires to match. When they are restricted they aren't preforming to their abilities and can be more dangerous then the full powered version in some cases.
    I admit there is certain occasions when not having the power can be dangerous, but the extra power in a novice's hands is much more dangerous.
    In the world of cages you just don't give a learner driver a Ferrari for their first car, why should it be any different in the world of bikes, a learner should not have something as powerful as an R6.
    And if it's so dangerous to let novices out on full power bikes why does the UK excluding NI, which has some of the highest road safety standards, allow it?
    Just because their licensing laws are different than ours doesn't mean that it makes them right. Someone from the UK could make the argument that since we have restriction here that it must work right? The UK also have a CBT which means that you couldn't just get your learners permit and hop on a bike for the first time and go belting down the motorway at 160 miles an hour.

I'm honestly astounded by your attitude, I can't see how on earth anyone would think that a beginner should be on something as powerful as an R6 unrestricted. You need to take off the tin foil hat and stop giving ridiculous advice that will get someone killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

:confused:

the brakes and tyres being over specified is more dangerous?

only reasonable arguement Ive read about restriction is that in an overtaking situation it may be dangerous, as the bike may run out of poke at an inoportune moment

A couple of lessons won't give you the experience needed to ride a powerful motorbike well, its takes years of experience.

Where did I say a coulpe of lessons was OK? I said proper training, they are 2 totally different things.
    I admit there is certain occasions when not having the power can be dangerous, but the extra power in a novice's hands is much more dangerous.
    In the world of cages you just don't give a learner driver a Ferrari for their first car, why should it be any different in the world of bikes, a learner should not have something as powerful as an R6.

But a cage learner can do their test in a full power Ferrari if they want. And after they pass a similarly woefull test as we do, they have no restrictions on what they can drive.
    Just because their licensing laws are different than ours doesn't mean that it makes them right. Someone from the UK could make the argument that since we have restriction here that it must work right? The UK also have a CBT which means that you couldn't just get your learners permit and hop on a bike for the first time and go belting down the motorway at 160 miles an hour.

I'm honestly astounded by your attitude, I can't see how on earth anyone would think that a beginner should be on something as powerful as an R6 unrestricted. You need to take off the tin foil hat and stop giving ridiculous advice that will get someone killed.

The only reason why we have a restricted licence is because our goverment actually implimented an EU directive quickly, and this directive was later resinded as there was no prove to back up the claim.

And is CBT not training? And once you pass your CBT in a car park you are free to get onto your 160mph bike and go onto the road, fully legal if you are over 21.

You have just as much chance of crashing and being killed on a moped if you don't know what you are doing. It's all about training not power. If you think someone is safe on a low power bike so be it. But I'd much rather have a trained rider on a powerfull bike, then someone going into a shop and buying a <25kw bike and riding out onto the street having never sat on a bike before.

Wossack wrote: »
    :confused:

the brakes and tyres being over specified is more dangerous?

only reasonable arguement Ive read about restriction is that in an overtaking situation it may be dangerous, as the bike may run out of poke at an inoportune moment

I ment the bike being restricted makes them more dangerous, the tires and brakes wheren't an issue. Since all the non factory restricted bikes are done by partially blocking the inlet track and restricting the throttle movement the bikes are in certain circumstances more dangerous as the bike can't do what's asked of it , and it is designed to do, due to the restriction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

have been riding approx. 3 months and have a restricted Er 5. Even that was a fair bit of power for someone starting off, in my humble opinion.

Even though I was never going mad it took a few near misses and one spill to teach me my limitations.

Obviously 3 months & a restricted bike is a microcosm of the whole 'power & experience combination' argument, but it has taken me near enough that long to have a proper appreciation for the capabilities of the bike I'm sitting on, especially when dealing with traffic etc.

This is all after a fair bit of training prior to getting the bike too.

I honestly cannot see the rationale for hopping onto a 600 cc bike straight away-if nothing else a nasty incident has the potential to put you off biking at an early stage & ruin yr enjoyment of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭jmck87

R6 as a first bike :eek:

Yeah yeah go on about how its no different if you get proper training bla bla....but the temptation and ability will always be there to whack open the throttle....and if you dont make mince meat of yourself...well youll need a change of boxers after the trip!

My first bike was 33hp after been driving cages for years....and I was thinking wow **** this is quick on the first few spins.....its more than enough for a novice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 DomShelley

Tomohawk has it to the ground, Will personally kick the sh*t out of you if you even think of tearin around on a bike with viod insurance,

Your only going to kill yourself or make life harder for us decent people who do things right !!!!

I bought a 08 Lancer last year and in August a guy drivin a uninsured car smahed me out of it. Cost 8k of damage to my car and also another car, 4k each.

Do things right man, its not worth the hassle, he was put away for his crime too, court for a month or two over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

[qutoe]Yeah, because that never happens on a 125...[/quote]

For sure it can happen on any bike. But a bigger supersports bike unrestricted will get you into trouble a lot quicker. And if you drop it , there is massive expense in replacing plastics. Typically getting a supersports or superbike rpaired is a LOT more than a 125. I know this from experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Dutch_Druid

To swer your question, check the www.quinn-direct.ie website and see the motorcycle quote section. They'll cover you on most bikes, and they're presuming that the bike is restricted. If you get in an accident, you're f*cked, they won't cover you at all

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

Read most of the replies, TBH most bikers that are serious will do their time on the smaller CC bikes and work up the experience.
    Biking is something to be respected, u need to respect a bike or it will end up putting you 6ft under.

I know a few young guys that got on bikes without a clue, it took some spills before they finally realized bikes aren't toys.

Don't be another statistic!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

The R6 sports bikes power is very frantic. At 7000 rpm it starts to kick in.

By 10000 - 15000rpm you will be leaning over the front to keep a it on the deck.

I know. I have one.

I am all for learners and young lads having a large capacity machine.

Its a much steeper leaning curve and if you manage to make it through a couple of year, I belive it will make you a better rider.

But something like a Dominator big single, or Hornet 600 would be a much easier big bike to learn on.

Life is long. A little experience is a great benefit to safety and predicting traffic. Lads have all the time in the world to progress to more aggressive machinery.

I would never use a sports bike for road riding again. They are not meant to be on an irish road.

Obviously there is no point in trying to reason with someone with no sense whatsoever. I really hope that nobody ever listens to your advice Dell2005 because with that attitude you will get someone killed. Unrestricted R6's aren't for beginners, and anyone who thinks they are aren't in their right mind.

Unrestricted R6's aren't for beginners, and anyone who thinks they are aren't in their right mind.

Too right, I've been riding nine years now and would still be wary on a bike like that. Brilliant yokes but I reckon you need a good few years experience to ride one properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

gsxr1 wrote: »
    and if you manage to make it through a couple of year, I belive it will make you a better rider

lol...so the options are...
    a) you'll be a slightly better rider
    b) dead

no one could ever get enough training and lessons to handle that as a 1st bike. Only experience will do that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement