Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rambler 30 day dublin bus tickets

Options
  • 04-02-2009 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

The Super Value on Aston Quay is selling 30 day Rambler bus tickets for 80 euros (usually 100). This means you save money even if you only do a 1.60 each way commute.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

How does a 30 day rambler work, do you have to use it over 30 consecutive days, or can you use it over a longer period?

Also is this a smart card type?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

bk wrote: »
    How does a 30 day rambler work, do you have to use it over 30 consecutive days, or can you use it over a longer period?

Also is this a smart card type?

http://www.dublinbus.ie/fares_and_tickets/monthly.asp

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

patrickc wrote: »

Thanks, so it is consecutive days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Thanks, so it is consecutive days.

The Rambler?
    Rambler 30 day ticket offers unlimited travel for 30 non-consecutive days on all Dublin Bus scheduled services including AIRLINK and Xpresso (excluding Nitelink, Ferry Services, Tours and Special Events)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Can this be used for daily commute; i.e. once in the morning, once in the evening, 5 days a week?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭mcguyver

non-consecutive days so I could use this once a week for unlimited travel over 30 weeks? All the other tickets are for 30 consecutive days maybe its a misprint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

mcguyver wrote: »
    non-consecutive days so I could use this once a week for unlimited travel over 30 weeks? All the other tickets are for 30 consecutive days maybe its a misprint

Yeah the definition doesnt seem to be the clearest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

That seems to be right. The catch might be on the "A use by date is printed on the front of the smartcard."

Did anyone get one of these cards? What was the use by date?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's not a misprint. I use a 5-day Rambler and it works the same way for 5 non-consecutive days. The use-by-date on my current card is November 2010.

So technically, yeah, with the 30-day Rambler you could use it once a week for 30 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Drakar wrote: »
    The Super Value on Aston Quay is selling 30 day Rambler bus tickets for 80 euros (usually 100). This means you save money even if you only do a 1.60 each way commute.

what expiry date was on the one you got???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

mcguyver wrote: »

AFAIK Rambler tickets are to be used for 30 consecutive days. Rambler Handipacks however, are (for one week) a booklet of 5 separate one-day tickets.

I doublt very much that one single ticket could be used for non-consecutive day travel....to much like hassle tbh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They don't do Rambler handipacks anymore. All 5/30 day Rambler tickets are smartcards now. And they ARE valid for non-consecutive days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Have a 5day rambler and its non consecutive days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Nice. I'm gonna get 2 of these and that'll be my bus fare for my second semester of college sorted (have to get 2 buses each way, ugh). Student fares on Dublin bus are a complete joke.

Nice. I'm gonna get 2 of these and that'll be my bus fare for my second semester of college sorted (have to get 2 buses each way, ugh). Student fares on Dublin bus are a complete joke.
    Well you can get a 30 consecutive day student ticket for €82. Or a 7 day for €20. Versus the regular price of the Rambler the student ticket would normally be better value. Although the unused days from weekends/sick days/holidays can add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'm only in 4 days a week so consecutive day tickets don't really suit me. Was using the travel 90 handypack up until now.

There's no monthly bus only ticket for students. Just bus/rail or bus/luas. There's no 5 day bus ticket for students, just 7 day tickets. They go out of their way to make it just as expensive for students to use the bus. Plus they jacked the price of their student bus/rail ticket up by a stupid amount in January, therefore I stopped buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

hey guys have been wondering about this actually!

every trip to city costs me 3.60euro now(return) ,if i am going to take a bus once/twice a week ,should i just get the 5days Rambler ticket?

seraphimvc wrote: »
    hey guys have been wondering about this actually!

every trip to city costs me 3.60euro now(return) ,if i am going to take a bus once/twice a week ,should i just get the 5days Rambler ticket?
    3.60 altogether? Then no.

€3.60 x 5 days = €18

vs.

€20 for the 5 day Rambler.
    Was using the travel 90 handypack up until now.
    I was thinking of switching to this actually. It would save me 2 euro. But it would depend on the first bus not getting stuck in traffic and the second actually coming on time — which is a bit too much to ask of Dublin Bus sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Expiry date was Nov 2010. And like a few other people mentioned it just gives you unlimited travel for 30 individual days (which dont have to be consecutive), so it works out at 2.67 a day (with this reduced price ticket). Looks like the reason they are offering them cheap is they are printed with the old price (this ticket used be 90 euros before the prices went up in january), so they had to sticker the 100 over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

This would seem like a very good way to get to the airport. Airlink single is €6, return is €10 (€5 each way). With a 30 day rambler, you pay ~€2.70 for each day that you use it. So, a trip to the airport is less than half the price of a normal Airlink ticket. I know I certainly will make more than 15 round trips to the airport before the end of 2010. Brilliant deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Student card monthly is 82 euro and it includes luas but it is consecutive days unfortunatily. Still a good deal. Not that much of a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

undo wrote: »
    This would seem like a very good way to get to the airport. Airlink single is €6, return is €10 (€5 each way). With a 30 day rambler, you pay ~€2.70 for each day that you use it. So, a trip to the airport is less than half the price of a normal Airlink ticket. I know I certainly will make more than 15 round trips to the airport before the end of 2010. Brilliant deal.

Pretty sure it excludes airlink.

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Pretty sure it excludes airlink.

No, the rambler very much *includes* airlink. I use ramblers on the airlink all the time. From http://www.dublinbus.ie/fares_and_tickets/monthly.asp (emphasis added):

Rambler 30 day ticket offers unlimited travel for 30 non-consecutive days on all Dublin Bus scheduled services including AIRLINK and Xpresso (excluding Nitelink, Ferry Services, Tours and Special Events)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Yeah that's a good deal for anyone who goes to the airport regularly. Even at full price it's €3.30 for the trip, and the bonus of any additional bus journeys on the day are included as well. It's a good find, whether it's €80 or €100

2 other good ones at regular price:

Travel 90 Adult 10 Journey Smartcard - €18.00
    So €1.80 for 2 or more journeys (i.e. unlimited travel within 90 mins of first use) Excludes Airlink.
    This ticket is good if you need to take 2 buses somewhere, or are going to spend less than an hour in the city.

5 Day Rambler Smartcard - €20.00
    So €4 per day, for 5 non-consecutive days, includes Airlink.

Two more notes:

* I just went to the SuperValu and got my 30 day rambler. They have a sign there saying all bus tickets 20% off, i.e. not just the 30 day rambler.

* When you need to take the airlink and don't feel like getting a multi-day ticket, you have two options: A single airlink ticket (€6) or a one-day rambler (€6 as well). Obviously, the latter one is a better deal as it is valid on any connections as well.

undo wrote: »
    They have a sign there saying all bus tickets 20% off, i.e. not just the 30 day rambler.

Do you know, did that include the travel 90 card?

Do you know, did that include the travel 90 card?

I did not ask about any other tickets but if I remember correctly, the sign said "all". Of course, it is only valid while stocks last.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I don't know if this would be any good to me. Does a day rambler allow you to take 2 journeys per day? or does it just mean 1 journey. Mite buy a few of these if the expiry is nov 2010.

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Does a day rambler allow you to take 2 journeys per day?

A rambler ticket allows you to travel on as many daytime routes as you please. You could get on the bus at 5am or whenever they start running and keep criss-crossing town until late in the evening. Airlink and Xpresso are also covered; Nightlink is not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Any number of journies in a day.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement