Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accensi0n - Couch potato to 10K in less than 60 minutes

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

accensi0n wrote: »
    Today is going to be a rest day, from running and the gym.

I havn't ran more than 6.2K yet so the plan for the next few weeks is to increase my distance. My time for the 5K was pretty good so my priority now is distance.

I aim to do 8 runs before the Great Ireland Run so was thinking something like the below:

6.7K - Slow
    7.6K - Slow
    8.5K - Slow
    10K - Slow
    6.2K - Fast
    11K - Slow
    6.2K - Fast
    12K - Slow

Any thoughts? Cheers.

Just read through the thread there. Good work!

If you're really aiming for a good time I wouldn't bother with the 11k or 12k runs. Depending on your fitness it could take you a while to recover from these. I would change these to 7/8/9k runs.

When is the Great Ireland Run btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Cheers.

The Great Ireland Run is on the 5th of April.

http://www.greatrun.org/Events/Event.aspx?id=7

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Wow, well done!, you are doing really well!
    I've just started & it sucks having to walk every 2-3 mins! I know I'll get there eventually though!!

MoonDancer wrote: »
    Wow, well done!, you are doing really well!
    I've just started & it sucks having to walk every 2-3 mins! I know I'll get there eventually though!!

Cheers. Legs are knackered at the moment, want to do as much as possible but know that if I overdo it in the next couple of weeks it'll probably feck up my goal.

Yeah, when I started a few months ago I was doing walk/run/walk. Gets a bit frustrating after a while but then you start to realise you're making improvements. I had a 'click day' where I went out and did a constant 3K run when the last time I did it I had to stop about 4 times! That was the first time I got a great feeling from running.

Good luck to ya, keep plugging away and take it easy.

Today

Very slowly.

Some pain on the inside of my right leg just above the knee area. I think it's from Wednesday when I was booting a rugby ball around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

8.5K thats brilliant!!!
    I'm still following your log, you're great inspiration! :D

MoonDancer wrote: »
    8.5K thats brilliant!!!
    I'm still following your log, you're great inspiration! :D

Cheers. Hopefully I can keep it going over the next couple of weeks and do the GIR in sub 60 minutes.

Well done to yourself as well.

Today

9.5K - 60 minutes

With just less than 2 weeks to the GIR this was a "see where I'm at" day. Picked a route that was almost 10K and ran harder than my last couple of runs. I'm happy with the result.

Today

11.2K - 1 hr 15 mins

Wet and windy.

Today

5K - 26mins 55secs

• Advertisement

Gonna start logging my gym sessions as well.

sets x reps
    bw = bodyweight

Today

Squats

bw - 1 x 10
    40kgs - 1 x 5
    60kgs - 1 x 5
    72.5kgs - 1 x 4, 1 x 2
    70kgs - 1 x 3
    60kgs - 3 x 5

Deadlift

70kgs - 1 x 5
    75kgs - 1 x 3

Pullups

bw - 1 x 6, 1 x 4, 1 x 3, 1 x 3

Today

Took it very easy and walked bits of it.

Headed out at about 8am so plenty of traffic. I was timing it but bumped into a friend and had a chat and then there were all the stops I had to make at traffic lights so there was no point.

Today

Gym

Squats

bw - 1 x 10
    40kgs - 1 x 5
    60kgs - 1 x 5
    72.5kgs - 1 x 5, 3 x 3
    60kgs - 1 x 5

Deadlift

80kgs - 1 x 2, 1 x 3

Pullups

bw - 1 x 8, 1 x 4, 2 x 3

9.8K - 1:02:23

Very tough run. Breathing heavy and legs sore in the front upper thigh area. The positive was that I had the sense and mental strength to slow down and just keep going, something I wouldn't have done a couple of months ago.

Gym session tomorrow and no running until the GIR on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi accension best of luck this sunday
    with your very good 5k race time and the fact you have had a few runs around 10k (9.5 to 11.2 i think) you should be quitely confident that you have the speed and stamina to break 60 min .
    best of luck sunday

SUNGOD wrote: »
    hi accension best of luck this sunday
    with your very good 5k race time and the fact you have had a few runs around 10k (9.5 to 11.2 i think) you should be quitely confident that you have the speed and stamina to break 60 min .
    best of luck sunday

Cheers SUNGOD.

Pretty happy with my prep.

Expecting race day to give me that extra drive to reduce my time like in the st. patricks festival 5K.

Today

Lighter weights session than usual on account of me being scared of injuring myself and not being able to do the GIR. :p

Deadlift

25kgs - 1 x 6
    45kgs - 1 x 5
    55kgs - 1 x 5
    65kgs - 1 x 5
    70kgs - 1 x 5

Pullups

1 x 6, 1 x 5, 1 x 4, 1 x 5

Today

GIR - 10K - 1:00:15

Didn't do sub 60 like I wanted to.

This was probably the easiest run I've done and felt grand at the end of it....I wish I had a stop watch with me so that I would have known that I needed to pick the pace up slightly at about 8KM.

Not too bothered cos I know I would have done it in less than an hour if I had a goddamn stop watch! :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

*soothes*

Congrats anyway, you'll *definitely* get it next time.

Cheers. I'll probably go for a 10K run in the next couple of weeks and force myself to do sub 60. :p

Also, I'm going to be stopping using this log and starting one over in the fitness forum. So, to anyone that's reading this, cheers for reading and good luck to in your running!

Thanks for the advice and encouragement that's been posted here too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement