Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accensi0n - Couch potato to 10K in less than 60 minutes

Options
  • 03-02-2009 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭

Rightio, stats and background I suppose.

Weight: 60kgs
    Height: 5' 7/8"

Started running at the end of December. Couldn't do a 3K run without stopping 6 or so times.

Longest run I've done so far is 5K in 31 minutes.

My last run was on Sunday 1st Feb which was a 3K run in 16 minutes.

I'm using mapmyrun.com so my times for what I'm running may be off.

Plan on doing the Great Ireland Run on April 5th. Want to do it in less than 60 minutes.

I'll most likely be running Tuesdays and Thursdays and sometimes on the weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

best of luck with it,
    having a goal is a huge motivator, as is putting your log on here - miss a day and you're off the front page,
    there's plenty of encouragement and good advice here though,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

showry wrote: »
    best of luck with it,
    having a goal is a huge motivator, as is putting your log on here - miss a day and you're off the front page,
    there's plenty of encouragement and good advice here though,

Cheers.

From my own past experiences the most important thing to me now is consistency.

Keeping on the front page is obviously the most most important thing though. :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good luck :)

Seems to be quite a few boardsies doing the Great Ireland Run on April 5, hope everyone meets their goals!

Incidentally, my goal is the same as yours, to break 60 minutes for 10k.

Good luck :)

Seems to be quite a few boardsies doing the Great Ireland Run on April 5, hope everyone meets their goals!

Incidentally, my goal is the same as yours, to break 60 minutes for 10k.

Cheers, good luck to you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi asccension as you said yourself the key really is consistency.
    thats the beauty of running , if you keep at it you will improve .
    best of luck with your log and training

• Advertisement

Figured I'd go for a run in the snow this morning.

Step outside, start running...*slidey slidey slidey*

Footpaths of ice, deathtrap.

Walked back inside.

Sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Best of luck Accensi0n!

I am training for the same 10k myself after letting my fitness (and weight) deteriorate badly over the last 2 years. Will be interested to see how you get on and will follow your progress.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Have to agree with Sungod consistency consistency consistency and you will get that target :)

best of luck

Cheers guys.

Today

5K - Ran 3K, walked 500m, ran 1.5K

Having to walk for a while sucked but I havn't ran in a week because of leg pain and ice.

Today

Had to walk a couple of times because my legs were killing me. Right leg felt like it was going buckle.

This stopping to walk malarky is annoying me.

• Advertisement

Today

Had to stop and walk a bit about 5 times...

Legs are still at me.

Left calf is tight and so are a various places in my right leg: shin area, upper front of thigh, back of knee.

I should add: I started squating and deadlifting in the gym twice a week since the end of January. Probably making the running tougher on my legs.

Really want to push past a 5K constant run.

Today

Constant run. Very slowly.

Legs felt better today but right leg was still a bit tight/sore around the shin/calf area.

I was stopping in a certain place over the last few runs which made it a kind of mental barrier. As soon as I got past there I felt really good.

Ran the last 200m harder. When I got back I wasn't that wrecked, felt I could have gone on a bit.

Today

38 minutes

Basic math skills let me down when I got home and calculated that I did it in 28 minutes....lol...if only!

EDIT: At a guess, I'd say I would do 10K in about 65 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

accensi0n wrote: »
    Today

Constant run. Very slowly.

you've hit the nail on the head

constant running.forget about the pace, speed will come naturally when your body just gets used to running.

keep it simple
    if you plan on 4k just do 4k slowly, it doesnt matter how slow, just do it*

your doing great keep at it

*im not working for nike honest:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good luck with your training accensi0n. The fact that you're started and continued a training log here is a good sign. Small steady improvements will get you there. I'd recommend you looking at a 10k beginners schedule (e.g. Hal Higdon) to guide you on your way. Try talk a friend into starting similar training too - as its great to have companionship in your training and it helps with the motivation.

Cheers guys.

Sungod: Yeah you're right. If I start slowly and just keep it going I struggle less. Also though, after about 5K of my 6.2K run today it got easy and opened up naturally without forcing it which was good. Sucks that it takes 5K for it to happen though!

Slogger Jogger: Had a look at those HH guides and wasn't really into them. Just going to keep doing what I'm doing. What I'm going to start doing though is adding onto my runs if I feel good at the end of them.
    Like today, did 6.2K but felt I could have gone on a bit.

Today

Opened up a little earlier than my last run which was good and felt really good throughout the run.

I'm off to Nice, France for a week tomorrow. Relaxy touristy holiday but I'll see if I can get some runs in down along the promenade. :)

Enjoy Ireland losers.

Edit: Just on a bit of a side note. I want to get stronger and heavier so I've been eating every 2-3 hours and lifting heavy weights in the gym. Even though I've been running 3 days a week, I've put on 2 kilos in the last 3 weeks. Just for anyone out there that's trying to put on weight as well as running, it's possible.

26/2

On the promenade in Nice. Nothing since. :)

Yesterday

First run after getting home from holidays.

Was good.

Today

Not happy at all.

I timed a 5K 6 weeks ago and it took me 31 minutes. Today it took.....31 minutes!

I'm doing the St. Patricks Festival 5K next weekend and really feel I should be doing it in sub 28 if I'm to stand any chance of accomplishing my 10K goal.

• Advertisement

Today

5K - 27mins 55secs :D

Pretty happy. Started off at a faster pace and kept it going.

Today

Slowly. Was pretty hard, legs were tired from squating in the gym yesterday.

Airway/chest was starting to tighten which hasn't really happened for a while.

Next run will be the St. Patricks Festival 5K on Sunday.

Weights session in the gym tomorrow and then 48 hours of lovely lovely rest, then go nuts for the 5K.

Good luck to everyone else doing the 5K on Sunday.

I'm aiming for sub 27mins 30secs

EDIT: This will be my first race btw.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good luck! :)

Good luck! :)

Cheers. Looking forward to it.

Today

St. Patricks Festival 5K Road Race

24mins 22secs

woohoo!

Really happy and sursprised with my time.

Legs started hurting early enough because of the faster pace I started at but it's great how a bit of competition keeps you going.

Well done to everyone that took part.

EDIT: Some differance to what I could do a few months ago.

EDIT 2: Me, black T, centre right - http://www.flickr.com/photos/31670380@N07/3356327689/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done Accensi0n, excellent time.

Bally8 wrote: »
    Well done Accensi0n, excellent time.

Cheers.

Today is going to be a rest day, from running and the gym.

I havn't ran more than 6.2K yet so the plan for the next few weeks is to increase my distance. My time for the 5K was pretty good so my priority now is distance.

I aim to do 8 runs before the Great Ireland Run so was thinking something like the below:

6.7K - Slow
    7.6K - Slow
    8.5K - Slow
    10K - Slow
    6.2K - Fast
    11K - Slow
    6.2K - Fast
    12K - Slow

Any thoughts? Cheers.

Today

Weights session in the gym.

Ran 2K to the park. Kicked a ball around for an hour or so. Walked home.

Weather was great.

• Advertisement

Today

Extremely slowly as my legs were pretty knackered. In fact, I went so slowly I managed to make 7.6K last ~59mins. :)

The longest run before this one was 6.2K which means I did an increase of 22.6%. Think I read somewhere not to increase by more than 10% but that seems pretty conservative.

Advertisement