Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to Cheltenham?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

Fair play ditch! Great thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Ditchonthehill

Finbar - great tactic but not always guaranteed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I must organise a taxi to collect us on Wed. morn in Bristol airport. 5 of us. Any recommendations ditch?

Finbar
    If you PM me your details to sales@turflegends.co.uk I'll give you the name of a cabbie. I fear if I post on here he'll be fully booked!!
    Cheers
    Ditch

Genuinely not touting for business but....a friend of mine has just sent the following email to me...

"On a separate note, I have a house to let for race week, do you know anyone that would be interested? Details are:

Prime location just off Hales Road within walking distance of the race course and town
    Detached house with parking if needed
    2 twin rooms and 1 double
    Bed and breakfast
    £60pppn"

I don't know the property but the source is good so if anyone's interested let me know and I'll PM contact details.

Ditch

• Advertisement

Finbar
    If you PM me your details to sales@turflegends.co.uk I'll give you the name of a cabbie. I fear if I post on here he'll be fully booked!!
    Cheers
    Ditch

OK, thanks ditch.
    Our landlady said our house was near the Little Owl Pub, Charltonkings. Do you know it?
    I'll tell a mate of mine about that house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 neil cronin

Hello
    i am interested in renting a house for race week from 9th march 2009 to 13th march 2009 4 nights in total for 3 people

regards neil cronin

Genuinely not touting for business but....a friend of mine has just sent the following email to me...

"On a separate note, I have a house to let for race week, do you know anyone that would be interested? Details are:

Prime location just off Hales Road within walking distance of the race course and town
    Detached house with parking if needed
    2 twin rooms and 1 double
    Bed and breakfast
    £60pppn"

I don't know the property but the source is good so if anyone's interested let me know and I'll PM contact details.

Ditch

Hello Neil,

I've Pm'd you the contact details.

Ditch

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Bigron78

Hey Ditch,
    We are attending 3 days of the festival (Wed-Fri). Is it cheaper to pre-book entry tickets or wait until the day? The festival website is offering cheaper tickets in advance, but a source has informed me that it may be even cheaper just to pay on entry. Can you clarify either way? I am travelling from Ireland and will need to get the tickets posted in time.

Also, from viewing earlier posts, I take it that Tattersalls tickets provide the best overall value and mixture at the meeting?

Hi Bigron,

In my opinion Tatts or Club are the better value tickets for the Cheltenham experience, although I wouldn't want to disillusion anyone with Best Mate tickets as pretty much anywhere at Cheltenham is 'electric'. Ref pre-buying tickets: If this was a normal year I would recommend pre-buy but the ticket sales are down and I think buying 'on the door' will be available. Price wise I'm not sure if they will discount on the day. If you are looking to buy on the day I would recommend getting there early as there is always a huge queue before the gates open. The great thing about Cheltenham is there is plenty to do before the first - so if you're in early you won't be mooching around with nothing to do.
    Sorry this isn't definitive help but I hope it helps a bit.
    Ditch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Bigron78

Thanks Ditch. I am goning to book tickets now as it will save a little money and probably alot of cueing.

COME ON WILLIE MULLINS!!

Tuesday 3rd. Has been peeing down at Cheltenham since lunchtime - now 5:15 so we've had approx: 51/2 hours of steady rain. More on it's way so start thinking mudpluggers. Course pretty much ready - bring on the racing. For the going watchers out there recommend www.cheltenham.co.uk and Simon's blog - he's telling it as it is!
    Ditch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭gazman59

ditch i just won a package but no flights or accom just expense money could you reccomend some where to stay for the thurs?

Congratulations on the win Gazman! I don't know what anyones booking diary looks like at this stage- however try Liz Coe at Cheltenham Racing Accommodation or Strozzi Palace - sorry you'll have to Google both for contact details but both have websites. Good luck and have a great trip.
    Ditch

gazman59 wrote: »
    ditch i just won a package but no flights or accom just expense money could you reccomend some where to stay for the thurs?

The Thistle had rooms for €141 a few days ago. It was on hotels.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Cantoris

Apparently plenty of accomodation in Cheltenham so you should be able to get a decent deal in a private house for £60-80 a night max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭gazman59

thanks fin.. yea where would i go to find out about the private houses?

Problem is Gazman - you're only looking for 1 night and most of the 'private house' stuff is for the week. Try and avoid the Thistle if you can - it ain't the best. Sorry I'm not being more helpful but all of the ones I knew to have been taken - that being said I think that there's a few more vacancies around town than usual.
    Ditch

I will be working in the Turf Legends shop in the evenings at the Festival - this is 2 doors up the road from the Queens hotel! If anyones looking for a replica Arkle, Dawn Run, Cottage Rake, Desert Orchid, Red Rum or Golden Miller rugby shirt just call in - even if you're not looking for a shirt just pop in and say hello.

Cheers

Ditch

I'll give a call if I remember to ditch. Should be in the Queens at some stage anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Hi Ditch, are there any facitities for campervans in the town?

Well there we are then folks! Another Festival over - 4 fantastic days racing, many questions answered and a few more created! Thanks to all of you who I met - Maybe we could continue this thread as a posting place for Cheltenham stories.
    Anyway - here's to 2010!

Ditch

Thanks for your help Ditch. I didn't get a chance to call in to you even though we were in the Queens on Wed night.
    Thurs night was spent in a place called Fever. Seemingly I was dancing beside a famous Dublin criminal and I didn't even notice as I was so engrosed in the girl from Swindon that I was dancing with, of course lots of alcohol on board also!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Where can I get a place to stay in 2010?! All the places seem booked already :eek:

Finbar - Anybody who gets engrossed with 'A girl from Swindon' deserves all they get & certainly no sympathy!!! Sounds as if you had a proper Cheltenham experience. I was too knackered to get much action in, however did manage to get into the 21 on Friday night and watch McCoy, Ruby and Mick Fitz 'winding down' Ha. Great Festival bring on 2010.

Keano - let me have an idea of what you're looking for and I'll dig around for you.

Ditch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Cantoris

did manage to get into the 21 on Friday night and watch McCoy, Ruby and Mick Fitz 'winding down' Ha.

Even Carberry made it in for the celebration. 21s a good spot for owners, trainers and jocks during race week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

it would take more than a punctured lung to keep carberry away from the party :D

Where can I get a place to stay in 2010?! All the places seem booked already :eek:

They all couldn't be booked allready. Next Jan. you will have no trouble getting an appartment, house or b&b.

Hey all, watch out! We're planning on coming to Punchestown to have a trade stand for our shirts (www.turflegends.co.uk) The boots on the other foot now - I'll have to asking the questions about the 'away game' - thinking about starting a thread "Help we're coming to Punchestown"

Just to kick it off - how difficult is it to get accommodation in the area? and how busy are the trade stands.

Cheers

Ditch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ifnotwhynot

The trade stands do plenty of business due to their great location. People milling past them all day and if you get a good day weather wise you will be sailing.

I believe there is plenty of accomodation in the area...have you tried Naas/Newbridge..think the Avon Ri do packages for the festival. Not too far from Dublin either if its your first trip to Ireland and want to live it up a little!!!!! :D

Advertisement