Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Expensive Crisps in Ireland???

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 IrishBusiness

how about 5 choc bars for 2 euro in eurostretcher - i think thats a bargain. nice bars too, cadburys and the like :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

how about 5 choc bars for 2 euro in eurostretcher - i think thats a bargain. nice bars too, cadburys and the like :)

It is a bargain for the republic, I often succumb to this deal, however in the north pound shops, the same 5 bars cost £1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 IrishBusiness

poo! that takes a bit of the joy out of it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Not the shops but the suppliers. The costs invloved in packaging have gone up somewhat in the last few years. Suppliers increase their price so the shops pss this increase on to their customers.
    Sorry, but that's complete bull**** and I'm sick and tired of hearing this excuse on the radios and tv every day.

A galaxy chocolate bar in my local Centra costs 99cent.

If I walk 200 yards down the road I can by the exact same bar for 80cent.

The bars are identical, packaging is the same. Plus, surely Centra would be better able to buy in bulk and get more discounts than the small corner shop down the road.

I suppose they'll tell me its transport costs....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 jenbecca

But sure look at the differance between stg prices and euro even if they charged the extra vat it would be but no they charge about 50 to 100% on top of this.
    Did a small shopping in tescos when the weather was really bad a few weeks ago enough for about 3 days exactly what I would normally buy but no extras cost 94 euro My normal shopping in the north for a week including nappies, wipes etc for two kids, box of beer, 2 to three bottles of wine. That enough to feed a family of four! cost me 96 euros last thursday. I very rarely go over the 100euro mark. And they wonder why the shops over here are empty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

K4t wrote: »
    Sorry, but that's complete bull**** and I'm sick and tired of hearing this excuse on the radios and tv every day.

A galaxy chocolate bar in my local Centra costs 99cent.

If I walk 200 yards down the road I can by the exact same bar for 80cent.

The bars are identical, packaging is the same. Plus, surely Centra would be better able to buy in bulk and get more discounts than the small corner shop down the road.

I suppose they'll tell me its transport costs....:rolleyes:

Tell you what. Go open your own Crisp making factory. Then you try justify the costs of making the crisps and packaging them and the logistics involved and staff costs and then come back on here and tell me its bull****.

The simple fact some shops make very small profit and some try make as much as possible. If people stopped paying the 96c then that shop would realise the error of his ways.

But costs have gone up everywhere. So whether you think its bull**** or not its fact.

jenbecca wrote: »
    But sure look at the differance between stg prices and euro even if they charged the extra vat it would be but no they charge about 50 to 100% on top of this.
    Did a small shopping in tescos when the weather was really bad a few weeks ago enough for about 3 days exactly what I would normally buy but no extras cost 94 euro My normal shopping in the north for a week including nappies, wipes etc for two kids, box of beer, 2 to three bottles of wine. That enough to feed a family of four! cost me 96 euros last thursday. I very rarely go over the 100euro mark. And they wonder why the shops over here are empty

Its funny how folk now jump on the NI bandwagon when a few years ago the argument would be in reverse. Of course not counting the cost of living and tax rates and wages in the North attributes to the cost of products. This going across the border thing is getting old very fast. If you like it better there move there. It would be like somebody in Spain driving into France and getting things cheaper then driving back to Spain to complain about how dear Spain is. Two completely different countries even if we are attached by the hip by history and geography.

Its not just the good times i have been shopping in the north im 25 and have been shopping there for as long as I can remember. Even when the stg was at it high you got better deals its the shops on the border counties that take the biscut. The government is telling us to shop around for the best price that happens to be across the border. Im not going to shop here until they reduce their prices as all it would be doing is throwing money away. Sure if I bought it here the government would get taxes but I would trust them with a cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭dunworth1

jenbecca wrote: »
    Sure if I bought it here the government would get taxes but I would trust them with a cent.

if they don't get taxes everything will go up more and there will be more cutbacks on education health etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭L.R. Weizel

I think part of the price increases is the PC brigade pressuring them into reducing the fat in their crisps by using a healthier (but more expensive) oil in the production process

(-_-)\

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭L.R. Weizel

Tell you what. Go open your own Crisp making factory. Then you try justify the costs of making the crisps and packaging them and the logistics involved and staff costs and then come back on here and tell me its bull****.

The simple fact some shops make very small profit and some try make as much as possible. If people stopped paying the 96c then that shop would realise the error of his ways.

But costs have gone up everywhere. So whether you think its bull**** or not its fact.

How many bags of Taytos did they give you to spout this apologist crap?

Do YOU run a crisp making factory? You're just making the presumption the costs are justified.

You tell people to "vote with their feet" but at the end of the day, you're the one trying to get people to consider that the insane prices we're paying may be reasonable. One person "voting with their feet" will never feel like they make a difference, but getting up on a pedestal trying to convince people there isn't a problem will have a much bigger effect.

So at the end of the day, it's the fault of people like you(of which Brian Cowman is one).

How many bags of Taytos did they give you to spout this apologist crap?

Do YOU run a crisp making factory? You're just making the presumption the costs are justified.

You tell people to "vote with their feet" but at the end of the day, you're the one trying to get people to consider that the insane prices we're paying may be reasonable. One person "voting with their feet" will never feel like they make a difference, but getting up on a pedestal trying to convince people there isn't a problem will have a much bigger effect.

So at the end of the day, it's the fault of people like you(of which Brian Cowman is one).

Ok you are going to put me in the same category as Brian Cowan eh how??? To counter act my argument how the fook do you know it isnt rising costs?

Look I dont buy crisps nor have I ever worked for a crisp company nor do I care but the sad fact is costs are rising across the board not just for the retailer but for the manufactures also. But you can say my argument is silly all you want but I can turn that back on you and say your argument is silly. See where that gets you. No where. Its a revolving door.

And people like me though coming back to that what type of person am i?

I dont make 100k a year. Im certainly not rich by any mean. I recently lost my job due to recession and I found the best way to manage money is to shop around and stop buying high priced items that are not a neccessity like guess what yes crisps. I buy fresh products all the time and avoid high prices when I can.

So again what type of person am i?

but getting up on a pedestal trying to convince people there isn't a problem

And I never said there wasn't a problem simply stated that there is such thing as rising costs which in itself is a problem no matter what way you look at it. So why don't you swallow your own words and get off Your pedastal.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Bit silly comparing prices that were 3 years ago to now. Why not also make a comparison of how much we earned 3 years ago and how much we earn now. See if we are getting less for our money??
    Paddy_man wrote: »
    Hunky Doreys are the recession busting €0.96 in Centra in Sathill, Galway...
    What the hell is going on? Is this the same in every Centra?? I remember when taytos were 13p.... 30c was the price 3yrs ago.... These shops are taking the p***.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Paddy_man

Why am i comparing prices with 3 yrs ago, i'm not, i'm comparing prices with other shops now... The vending machine at work, the one in the train staion, small independant shops in the City charge a maximum of 85c (work vending machine, 65c, unsubsidised btw) for the same pack of crisps...

I picked this product as an example of the high prices for some products in these chain stores (we buy in bulk so you pay less, ya right), as its something that a lot of ppl pick up at the counter without noting the price.. I'm not saying that ppl shouldn't pay these prices, hell, if i really wanna bag of crisps and i have the money, i'll pay it, but not without asking myself if i really really want to pay that skyhigh price, and most of the time i dont..

Its up to everyone to make their own choice to pay a higher price or not, but if i made a few ppl check out the price of the "unnecessary" items they pick up at the til and save a few quid, then i'm happy out...

Cant wait for the budget, for the rise in the tax I pay from my wages, food, drink, breathing, sleeping....

Would prices in vending machines be cheaper as they don't have much overheads like staff to pay for on a daily basis running of a shop costs etc. I know vending machines need restocked etc but they are not manned 8 or 9 hours a day

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jclare56

heya,

i jus noticed thsi the other day - hunky dorys are my crisp of choice and are 99cent in my local centra. i did thank the person behind the counter for my cent in change from a euro but i did feel slightly robbed....
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

If you think the price of a bag of crisps is expensive now... they'll be even more expensive if government gets their way and lobs a tax on them! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭thealltimelow

a shop in cahir co.tipp has crisps for about 1.25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Hey!!
    I work in a shop!I charge what I'm told to charge not the girls fault

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭poodles

€1.03 I was asked for for a packet of Hunkey Dorys in the Centra across from the Galway Airport.

Bah humbug

Advertisement