Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Expensive Crisps in Ireland???

Options
  • 02-02-2009 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hunky Doreys are the recession busting €0.96 in Centra in Sathill, Galway...
    What the hell is going on? Is this the same in every Centra?? I remember when taytos were 13p.... 30c was the price 3yrs ago.... These shops are taking the p***.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Paddy_man wrote: »
    What the hell is going on? Is this the same in every Centra?? I remember when taytos were 13p.... 30c was the price 3yrs ago.... These shops are taking the p***.

Not the shops but the suppliers. The costs invloved in packaging have gone up somewhat in the last few years. Suppliers increase their price so the shops pss this increase on to their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

That, plus there is now less competition in the market place.

Tayto, Hunky Dory, King and Perri are now all made by the same company - Largo foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Those blasted Pringles - aren't they worse?

I'm glad I hate crisps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭MaryCat!

OUCH!!:eek: 96 cent is a bit OTT! Think they are about 70-75 in my local

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Im glad they went up in price it sure stopped my love for them. One less crappy food substance down me gob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

Hah! I got charged 96c for a packed of Hunky Dorys a couple of months ago.

I actually rang Hunky Dory's or whoever they are and complained about the price of them. They said that have received many complaints about it. They used to be 69c or something. They apologised but explanied that they set the RRP and basically shops can charge what they like for them!!! I got a nice voucher out in the post for my troubles. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Anyone noticed both Tayto and Hunky Dory now have new 'recession' packaging? Both are 50cent from the vending machine in work! Much better value in the 6pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dante

The days are long gone when a Pound could get a packet of chikatees, 2 frodo bars, 10 penny sweets and a mint aero in the local newsagents! ***Sad Face***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lidl crisps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I think part of the price increases is the PC brigade pressuring them into reducing the fat in their crisps by using a healthier (but more expensive) oil in the production process

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭StroppySu

This is where the beauty of chickatee's, johnny onion rings etc comes in... tasty goodness for WAY less than the other crisps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Anyone noticed both Tayto and Hunky Dory now have new 'recession' packaging? Both are 50cent from the vending machine in work! Much better value in the 6pack.
    the multi-packs are always smaller bags of crisps!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

These shops are taking the p***.
    Convenience stores are always expensive, buy in bulk in supermarkets instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Hah! I got charged 96c for a packed of Hunky Dorys a couple of months ago.

I actually rang Hunky Dory's or whoever they are and complained about the price of them. They said that have received many complaints about it. They used to be 69c or something. They apologised but explanied that they set the RRP and basically shops can charge what they like for them!!! I got a nice voucher out in the post for my troubles. :D

I think I might try that - anything for free crisps...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

mike65 wrote: »
    Lidl crisps.
    are horrible.

I paid 60c for walkers lately, I usually buy em with other stuff and silly me, I dont pay attention to the cost.. so I thought it was a bit much. Seems it was cheap!

Oryx wrote: »
    are horrible.

I paid 60c for walkers lately, I usually buy em with other stuff and silly me, I dont pay attention to the cost.. so I thought it was a bit much. Seems it was cheap!

part of the reason that so many places get away with it is that they don't display the prices for their crisps, and then alot of them have registers that dont let customers see the price as they're being scanned & don't give out receipts unless you ask, so the prices of their rip-off items are well hidden

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I remember paying 90c for Manhattan popcorn-that was the last time i bought popcorn....

fecking rip off!

so you PAID the 90c then?

that's why they charge it, because people do pay

but like with any other "rip-offs" you should vote with your feet

eg. any shop that doesnt display bar/crsip/drink prices, I just wont shop there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Not quite recession "busting" then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

so you PAID the 90c then?

that's why they charge it, because people do pay

but like with any other "rip-offs" you should vote with your feet

eg. any shop that doesnt display bar/crsip/drink prices, I just wont shop there
    Nah i didn't notice... i had other things like a sambo and water.
    I noticed when i asked for a receipt and i was shocked! FFS Manhattan crisps.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Dunnes have a 6pk of Tayto for 95 cent at the moment. They also have 12pk of their own brand for 1.50. Not bad - they taste OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭marble

I AGREE BUT I LIKE READY SALTED

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I remember when taytos were 13p

I remember when Tayto Crisps were 2.5p and they came with a free manual record player that played the Irish Tayto advert of the time. 1973 was the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I remember walkers 6 pack was 1.10 2 years ago, now they are 1.70, thats over 50% increase

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Hula Hoops 24 for 3 euro in the 2 euro shop.

The irony is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

& don't give out receipts unless you ask hidden

Businesses are required by law to issue a receipt with every single transaction. The fact that they are getting away with it shocks me!!
    It is one thing not to give you one, but if you ask for one and they say they cannot give you one then I would report the business immediately.

No receipt = Breaking the law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

Stores like centra, spar and the like will always be more expensive try Lidl there very cheap or where i am there is a 2 euro world and a discount world and you would get pringles 3 for 2 euro not to sure about Hunky Dorys but they do have Tayto aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Paddy_man

Now they're €1.03 for a bag of Hunky Doreys......... WTF!!!!!!
    Not even seen them for €1 in vending machines, never mind a fkin shop.... COME ON CENTRA... DONT TAKE THE PISS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 jenbecca

This country is a complete rip off. I do most of my shopping now in the north as needs must. But you can get pringles in asda for 74p and what are they here 2-3 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭horsebox1977

105 in my local shop!
    I was about knock the shop keeper out but she was about 17!.
    It's actually unreal the amount these people think they can charge.
    I pay 60/70 cent in work for hte same packet.

On a seperate rip off note.
    My local spar offer 2 selective bars for 1 euro and in my local Topaz garage 1 bar is 1.15
    Go figure

Advertisement