Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You Hate Raymond Deane?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Dumbledore wrote: »
    Do I hate Raymond Dean? No He does some good political work.
    Do I hate Seachanges? Absolutely it wrecks my head and is sounds like a donkey being hacked to death by two machete-wielding scumbags.

Someone who's clearly on the trolley. Good man yourself.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Lol I don't hate it - the main melody is really nice! It's the totentanz and dies irae that rapes my ear canals.... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Honestly? Not really, and when our class got to meet him, he wasn't half as angry or jealous as everyone makes him out to be.
    At first it grated a bit, but I actually sort of like it now :p
    I LOVE the Mozart and Berlioz though! I think Un Ball in particular is the nicest section we get to study.
    Dunno why but the Beatles pieces never really did it for me . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

you hate raymond deane and raymond deane hates you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

The fact that people here are saying that they hate the Mozart, the Berlioz and Seachanges just shows that people don't appreciate what they don't understand/find familiar...I'm willing to bet that most of the people saying they don't like the Mozart/Berlioz have never listened to another piece of classical or romantic music, and the Deane is just the same, I'd say people don't like it because they never listen to any modern music. I do like it, maybe not as much as the music I normally listen to, but it's not fair to slate it just because your ears arn't used to that kind of music.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mikeglee

The fact that people here are saying that they hate the Mozart, the Berlioz and Seachanges just shows that people don't appreciate what they don't understand/find familiar...I'm willing to bet that most of the people saying they don't like the Mozart/Berlioz have never listened to another piece of classical or romantic music, and the Deane is just the same, I'd say people don't like it because they never listen to any modern music. I do like it, maybe not as much as the music I normally listen to, but it's not fair to slate it just because your ears arn't used to that kind of music.

I like mozart and berlioz, however I disagree with your point on Deane.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

Superintendent: *presses button, thinking about how are lucky they are to listen to music for the entire exam.*

CD Player: *Shrieking violins*

It's definitely not the nicest piece..lol
    He should've stuck with the nice violin piece.

mikeglee wrote: »
    I like mozart and berlioz, however I disagree with your point on Deane.

Would you care to elaborate? :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Well Deane has written some lovely contemporary music (check out some of his arrangements for string quartet) but Seachanges is more of an experiment than actual music IMO. Great for analysis but not so great for the ears :P:rolleyes:

Would you care to elaborate? :)

In my opinon, I don't think that it's possible to catorgorise this piece of music because it's so unique. Basically, I do not think that many people want to get used to it because my friend, let's face it, it is a lot of useless noise with the odd element of a nice progression throughout. Which in turn, turns people away from it because they don't want to hear a nice part and then get thier ear drums punished by a piccolo thats played at ultr-sonic levels. In my case, if I want ot hear a good piece of music I'll stick with something like Mozart.................or Iron Maiden!:cool::D

• Advertisement

The fact that you described it as noise proved my point, your ears don't recognise the music in it...just like I'm sure if you listened to some out there jazz. But, if you started listening to that kind of music, you'd eventually appreciate it. Just like how parents call heavy metal or dance music noise, because they arn't used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Saffy

yes, I hate seachanges!!
    and its probably going to come up as Q1:rolleyes:

The fact that you described it as noise proved my point, your ears don't recognise the music in it...just like I'm sure if you listened to some out there jazz. But, if you started listening to that kind of music, you'd eventually appreciate it. Just like how parents call heavy metal or dance music noise, because they arn't used to it.

I surrender! You are a worthy advisory

I wish leaving cert papers could say that...

Advertisement