Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You Hate Raymond Deane?

Options
  • 02-02-2009 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

Do You Hate Raymond Deane and his eF'in Seachanges? Why the hell could we not study something with a bit of bloody melody?! Whats the point? Its just 12 minutes of noise which sounds like its being played by a group of junior infants who have just found a pile of instruments in the corner of a room.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

YES

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

With every bone in my body.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Does anyone have a link for it or anything? I want to hear this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

On the upside, it IS very easy to talk about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Guitarist-JEM

I don't like it at all...in a way it's not even that original since he got practically every idea from other pieces!..
    sergeant peppers lonely hearts club band is good though!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Yes,I absolutely hate him. Seachanges was made to make every music student cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

God, don't even get me started! I'm terrible at the listening anyway, and at least the sections and themes in the other works are easy enough to pick out. How is playing the violin like a deaf three-year old 'music'???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

With a passion :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mikeglee

On the upside, it IS very easy to talk about...
    That is true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Dante

I can't see what the big fuss about Seachanges is....
    ....Its regarded as one of the best musical rape scenes in modern music!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

It doesn't really bother me, I dislike the mozart one more

It doesn't really bother me, I dislike the mozart one more
    : o

The second movement of the mozart is just exquisite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

Wait till it comes on in the actual exam and the supervisor is like "wtf?". We met him, what a ledge. He kept going "There isnt really much to say about this section" and talking for 15 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

The second movement of the mozart is just exquisite!

I can't really remeber what mozart sounds like except that I don't like it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

...is it a good thing I haven't heard it yet? I heard our teacher discussing it and even she said she hated it.

Fuascailt wrote: »
    Wait till it comes on in the actual exam and the supervisor is like "wtf?".
    Yeah... I think the Totentanz section came up for me, the superviser got some surprise.
    I can't really remeber what mozart sounds like except that I don't like it :P
    It's great! The third movement is a bit of a pain to learn, form-wise etc., but the second movement, while very melancholy, is quite beautiful. Particlarly the 1st and 3rd themes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

...is it a good thing I haven't heard it yet? I heard our teacher discussing it and even she said she hated it.

I don't mind it. I dislike Berlioz and the Beatles more (except for Sergeant Pepper's lonely hearts club band. I love that song). One thing I've noticed is that people hear about it and seem to decide that they hate it before even listening to it.

You probably won't like it though:pac:

I don't mind it. I dislike Berlioz and the Beatles more (except for Sergeant Pepper's lonely hearts club band. I love that song). One thing I've noticed is that people hear about it and seem to decide that they hate it before even listening to it.

You probably won't like it though:pac:

If the replies to this topic are anything to go by, I most likely won't! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭welcomeinjam

Ok I'm gonna step in and defend it. I actually really liked it I think the intro is great it really does bring across the feeling of a scorching sun which was the point. Of course the intro doesn't take a lot of talent to make but it wasn't about sounding good its about painting a picture through music and musical ideas.

Ok I'm gonna step in and defend it. I actually really liked it I think the intro is great it really does bring across the feeling of a scorching sun which was the point. Of course the intro doesn't take a lot of talent to make but it wasn't about sounding good its about painting a picture through music and musical ideas.

Why else would anybody listen to music in the first place?

I don't think the majority of people listen to music purely for the sake of having a lovely picture being painted in their head through the music. I know I don't anyway. If I wanna see a painted picture I'll head to an art gallery in town. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

Well, my Music teacher told me that he, the man himself, said that not even he would sit down and listen to it. :eek: Of course this could be Bull**** :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

It's growing on me. I find everything after the intro quite enjoyable tolerable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mikeglee

I just wanna re-surface this old thread again just to see what people are thinking at this stage of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Cannot WAIT to delete it from my ipod!

Berlioz, Beatles and Mozart will,however,be staying :)

Only good thing I have to say about it is that unlike Mozart's 3rd movement it just has 3 different themes really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭-ME-

I quite like it actually... It's certainly unlike anything I've ever heard before. Very easy to study in comparison Berlioz or Mozart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Ahhh, memories.

I actually grew to like the Deane piece by the time the exam rolled around. I had a really good teacher in Walton's who explained it quite well.

The Mozart piece is nice, but a bit bland, aside from the second movement which I love. The Marche au Supplice from the Berlioz is fantastic.

-ME- wrote: »
    I quite like it actually... It's certainly unlike anything I've ever heard before. Very easy to study in comparison Berlioz or Mozart.

Consider visiting a psychiatrist. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

I did at first, but after two years he's starting to grow on me. It's certainly the easiest set work.

I'm going to get lynched for saying that, amn't I?!

In any case, be grateful you're not doing the other set works (group a). Ever heard the modern piece they have to study?? o______0

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Du

mikeglee wrote: »
    I just wanna re-surface this old thread again just to see what people are thinking at this stage of the year
    yeah it grows on you, actually does have melody in the 3 note cell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Dumbledore

Do I hate Raymond Dean? No He does some good political work.
    Do I hate Seachanges? Absolutely it wrecks my head and is sounds like a donkey being hacked to death by two machete-wielding scumbags.

Advertisement