Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Whats the story with this phantom 45 lad's?

Just Googled it there. Hard to say really. I can't see how the ref could have seen it. And with such certainty to overrule his umpire.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Might be the last time we see some of the lads in the county jersey,I think now would be the right time if they are to retire,pass on the jersey to next crop coming through,they owe the county noting,have given us some great days out and some of the worst hangovers known to man :D

As for the game,I thought the Dubs were going to be out of sight by half time,they started so well and had us pinned in,but fair play to the lads they dug in and kept plugging away and then we had that period before half time where we got rewarded for pushing up on the Dubs kick out,

I didnt want the ref to blow that half time whistle it just came at the wrong for us and the right time for them,gave them a chance to regroup and sort the thing out,which they did in the second half

Dean Rock should have got MOTM,his free taking was near perfect and got a few scores from play as well,thought he was outstanding

Fair play to the Dubs they are the best team in the country at the moment,have some great leaders on the pitch and a very good manager in Jim Gavin,

Its all over for us for another year,the lads will be back playing with clubs now and before you know it 2017 will be in the door and we will hopefully be back to have a cut off the Dubs again.

Now I must buy a Mayo jersey :D

Only joking,best of luck to both teams in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I'd follow Dublin over Mayo any day of the week, 14.6 times on sunday.

I found/find this whole Mayo for sam crap to tedious and infantile- people who think they are being ironically funny with it- arent, they are just being ironically stupid.

Talk of curses, etc aswell is infuriating nonsense- produce at least one scoring forward and you might win an AI- until then just accept being someones play thing in the final

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭corny

Stoner wrote: »
    One thing I thought Aidan O'Mahony had a good game. Didn't look finished to me.

I know his job meant he didn't have to work up and down the field but O'Mahony's work rate in defence was incredible for an auld fella. Made loads of telling contributions in the last quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

take out the brief spell before half time where we scored 2-4, of which we got two soft goals and you are talking a different game.

What an utterly stupid way to judge a game.

Take out the brief spell before full time and you are talking about how Kerry won by three points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

I'm presuming that is the last time we see Donaghy in a Kerry jersey. He was the driving force behind bringing a superleague team back to Tralee and along with a couple of Americans and Bosnians he is integral to the new side.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'm presuming that is the last time we see Donaghy in a Kerry jersey. He was the driving force behind bringing a superleague team back to Tralee and along with a couple of Americans and Bosnians he is integral to the new side.

There was a photo going around of him sitting in the middle of the pitch with his kid, long after the other players had gone and the stands had cleared. If ever a photo said retired, that did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Just Googled it there. Hard to say really. I can't see how the ref could have seen it. And with such certainty to overrule his umpire.
    100% it came off the defender's hand. I'd a perfect view of it from where I was standing on the hill. I was screaming when the umpire initially waved it wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

keane2097 wrote: »

Take out the brief spell before full time and you are talking about how Kerry won by three points.

its completely relevent in a discussion about that for the majority of the game, we were poor.

its a simple fact that that brief spell kept us in the game and for the other 90%, we were out scored 22 points to 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

keane2097 wrote: »

Well if the history books have said anything....In the last 10 minutes of their last five games Dublin have outscored Kerry 5-20 to 0-8

I think there was something that stalled the game, i think the ref was taking a name and they replayed it on the big screen and i think he saw it there. In real time i couldn't see it myself but i wasnt close in the stadium.

PARlance wrote: »
    There was a photo going around of him sitting in the middle of the pitch with his kid, long after the other players had gone and the stands had cleared. If ever a photo said retired, that did.

Marc and O'Mahoney were last off the pitch too...savouring it all for the lat time i'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

PARlance wrote: »

It's a cracking photo.

In fairness to the man he was in the 2 of the best photos taken on the day:

INPHO_01099395.jpg

AND

1207965.jpg

Though there's a better one where you can see the whole stadium in it of that one with his kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Conor52

its completely relevent in a discussion about that for the majority of the game, we were poor.

its a simple fact that that brief spell kept us in the game and for the other 90%, we were out scored 22 points to 10.

But that's the way sport is, Mayo scored 1-7 in a similar spell before half time last week. I don't see many people suggesting that Tipp are a better team than Mayo. Also Dublin scored 2-3 in 7/8 mins in a spell in the second half of the replayed semi last year. If you took that out they wouldn't won either. Teams have periods of dominance and gain momentum and belief. Half time came a a bad time for Kerry on Sunday as Dublin were rattled. Half time allowed them regain their composure and they kicked on in the last ten minutes. Also kerry had an 11 minute spell (~ 50 mins to 61mins) in the second half where they outscored dublin 4 points to 1 so it wasn't all bad. Our last ten minutes against dublin in the last 4 championship meetings + league final reads 5-17 to 0-8 apparently. Sure if you took them out we'd probably have won a couple of them by your logic :)

BKWDR wrote: »
    Well if the history books have said anything....In the last 10 minutes of their last five games Dublin have outscored Kerry 5-20 to 0-8

I think there was something that stalled the game, i think the ref was taking a name and they replayed it on the big screen and i think he saw it there. In real time i couldn't see it myself but i wasnt close in the stadium.

Marc and O'Mahoney were last off the pitch too...savouring it all for the lat time i'd say.

There we have it, take out all the spells at the end of all the second halves and Dublin are only fair.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/darragh-%C3%B3-s%C3%A9-injury-time-an-x-factor-that-could-decide-sam-s-destination-1.2735323

Also, from Darragh OSé a month ago , i always said this, its like a wall that a lot of players hit at 70 minutes and then they drop and it was evident last Sunday too. 75 and 76 minutes are the norm now.

I'd say the A vs B games in training are 80 mins long for most teams now

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

I'm surprised at some of the negativity on here. We were narrowly beaten by a better team, sometimes it's just that simple.
    As for the "take the 2-4 out and we'd have been wiped out" argument, that was possibly the most decisive, efficient use of temporary superiority I've ever seen. We forced a mistake by pushing up on their kickout, scored a goal, caused panic in their ranks and filleted them between there and half time, it was superb to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Good to hear Ciaran Carey is staying on

WHAT’S Limerick’s loss is Kerry’s gain as Ciaran Carey has said he will be staying with Kerry, despite interest from within his native county.

The three time All-Star is just one of the high-profile figures linked with the Limerick managerial job vacated by TJ Ryan, but Carey has maintained he is going nowhere and is committed to the Kingdom.

“I think that it would be very unfair to any county board or to any group of players if you confined yourself to staying with them for just a period of 12 months,” said Ciaran Carey speaking to the Irish Independent.

“After I took up the Kerry position I didn’t have any formal agreement with the officers of the Kerry board about how long I would be involved with the team.

“As everyone knows, managing a team is a results-driven business and we wouldn’t be talking about me staying on with Kerry for 2017 if we had lost matches on a consistent basis.”

“But, while our year could have been better, it went reasonably well for us, beating the likes of Offaly in the league, beating Laois twice and playing in the round-robin section of the Leinster Championship. So I don’t see any reason why I won’t be involved with Kerry again in next year’s league and championship campaigns,” he said

In 12 months the Patrickswell clubman helped Kerry secure their Division 1B status and guided the hurlers into the senior All-Ireland championship for the first time in 11 years.

http://traleetoday.ie/kerry-hurling-received-big-boost/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

A photo of referee David Gough celebrating with members of the Dublin team after the 2015 All-Ireland has surfaced on Social Media. This "Meath" man lives and works in Dublin and it was an absolute disgrace that he was allowed to referee Sundays game. Not the first time this has happened, as Joe McQuillan did the same to Kerry in 2011 and tried his full best to stop Mayo in 2012 and handed the 2013 final on a plate to Dublin by one point where he highly robbed Mayo.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/martin-breheny-officials-should-not-be-appointed-for-big-games-involving-the-county-where-they-work-35009164.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If we could beat Dublin today then today will be the start of three to four in a row, as for Mayo, yerra well god help the poor auld craythurs.

Our Minor teams deserve huge credit and our rightly glory days are not very far away again. From the Skellig Rock to Scartaglin, Lauragh to Lyracrompane it is the birthright of every true Kerry warrior who wears the green and gold of the Kingdom; we are the True keepers of the ancient flame, Kerry by 5 with Moran and Paul Geaney both bombing Cluxton out of it as they will sit inside on the verge of the square all day.

You'd wanna check the pilot light on your ancient flame chief. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

A photo of referee David Gough celebrating with members of the Dublin team after the 2015 All-Ireland has surfaced on Social Media. This "Meath" man lives and works in Dublin and it was an absolute disgrace that he was allowed to referee Sundays game. Not the first time this has happened, as Joe McQuillan did the same to Kerry in 2011 and tried his full best to stop Mayo in 2012 and handed the 2013 final on a plate to Dublin by one point where he highly robbed Mayo.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/martin-breheny-officials-should-not-be-appointed-for-big-games-involving-the-county-where-they-work-35009164.html

So winning Dublin GAA team visit school where teacher works. Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Paulzx

All GAA referees should be banned from working outside their county. In fact they should be stopped at the border if they try to leave to ensure they aren't infected by any outside influences and remain pure county men.

This will lead to an astonishing improvement in the standard of refereeing.

• Advertisement

Paulzx wrote: »
    All GAA referees should be banned from working outside their county. In fact they should be stopped at the border if they try to leave to ensure they aren't infected by any outside influences and remain pure county men.

This will lead to an astonishing improvement in the standard of refereeing.

POTY

---

Officials should not be appointed for big games involving the county where they work

Amazing headline from the Indo. Don't we have all the jobs up here with all the population?

I can imagine if we lost on Sunday some sort of "Meathman conspires to give Kerry a final berth" Not a hope.

BOLLOX!

---

What's great is the general consensus around the game though is we all seem to generally agree he had a whopper.

Whatever about my mood towards ye or the football team or Star since... ****, I've never seen anything like it reaction wise from Kerry fans. Not that you need me to tell ye or that my opinion is even cared for.

But thanks.

---

Also that's great news re Carey for the hurling team. Whatever natural animosity I have for the football team, it doesn't stretch to the hurling team and and I want it keep going from strength to strength.

Is it 1998 that ye last played in Munster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Martin Breheny giving Roy Curtis a run for his money with that tripe.

"Noone is questioning his integrity", he says, after highlighting the incident which eventually, it could be argued settled the game.

Yet he goes and writes an aricle on one of the biggest selling newspapers highlighting the issue and putting food for thought into idiots' minds who will buy into it and leaves a shadow over who is all in all one of the best referees in the country.

You have got article space, martin. Write about the football. Leave the conspiracy theories to the odd rambler on boards.ie

Martin Breheny giving Roy Curtis a run for his money with that tripe.

"Noone is questioning his integrity", he says, after highlighting the incident which eventually, it could be argued settled the game.

Yet he goes and writes an aricle on one of the biggest selling newspapers highlighting the issue and putting food for thought into idiots' minds who will buy into it and leaves a shadow over who is all in all one of the best referees in the country.

You have got article space, martin. Write about the football. Leave the conspiracy theories to the odd rambler on boards.ie

That doesn't sell papers for INM though.

Sure "there's no malice" in that article.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I can tell ye that that is not the attitude of most Kerry people. Yes we're disappointed but apart from a few people I've not heard anybody claiming that the ref robbed us or the fact that he was working in Dublin is an issue. It seems to be people outside the county making most of the noise. He made some honest errors during the game but that's the case in almost any game.

Joe McQuillan did the same to Kerry in 2011 and tried his full best to stop Mayo in 2012 and handed the 2013 final on a plate to Dublin by one point where he highly robbed Mayo.

He did a fairly bad job in 2012 then , fairly sure Dublin were robbed with Mayo's antics that day.

And in 2013, taking over a minute to take a free at the end of stoppage time is hardly the referee's problem...

The people who look at Sundays epic game and say that the referee did an excellent job are by far the majority. The rest is sour grapes....

mickeyk wrote: »
    I can tell ye that that is not the attitude of most Kerry people. Yes we're disappointed but apart from a few people I've not heard anybody claiming that the ref robbed us or the fact that he was working in Dublin is an issue. It seems to be people outside the county making most of the noise. He made some honest errors during the game but that's the case in almost any game.

Oh of course not. Only skywanderer has even suggested it. It's mad. I just can't even imagine how anyone watching it last Sunday could even come up with that being a feasible argument.

He did a fairly bad job in 2012 then , fairly sure Dublin were robbed with Mayo's antics that day.

And in 2013, taking over a minute to take a free at the end of stoppage time is hardly the referee's problem...

The people who look at Sundays epic game and say that the referee did an excellent job are by far the majority. The rest is sour grapes....

That was unbelievable. I mean what the hell was he at!!!

Skywander posts in other threads suggest other such doozies as Dublin paying off the linesmen and ref, Dublin players on 70k a year, Dublin are corrupt also that if Kerry had beaten Dublin on Sunday it would have been the start of 3 or 4 in a row for Kerry.

*confused crying shrugging bangingheadofftable emoji face*
    Originally Posted by skywanderer
    Professional players getting paid €70k a year versus an amateur organisation and scumbag players and corrupt referees, enjoy Dublin your money always does it, because style, grace and grandeur is something you will never have, city nackers.

Skywander posts in other threads suggest other such doozies as Dublin paying off the linesmen and ref, Dublin players on 70k a year, Dublin are corrupt also that if Kerry had beaten Dublin on Sunday it would have been the start of 3 or 4 in a row for Kerry.

*confused crying shrugging bangingheadofftable emoji face*

Almost as if he wasn't real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Lads, just in: the Gooch admitting Kerry are a pro team. OMG, someone ring Breheny fast.

Outrage, 70k a year. Free cars. All the butter you can eat etc :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement