Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New GAA fantasy site

Options
  • 30-01-2009 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

So me and a friend have been working on a GAA fantasy site as a hobby - www.gaamanager.com. We've just got it running for the national football league... it's early days yet, we still have a lot of work to do on the site, but enough of the functionality is there to make it playable for the start of the league. Come sign up and give it a go, let us know what you think. Get your friends to sign up too and get their teams selected and ready for the start of the league tomorrow. We'll be introducing mini leagues soon where you'll be able to host a league for you and your friends to compete in.

We'll be running it for the hurling league too, but we need to get all the hurling teams and players set up before you'll be able to set up teams for that - should be ready early next week.

I know it's a bit short notice for the football league, but we'll be running it as a kind of early beta trial during the league, improving it so we have it perfect for the championship.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Edit it says on the site the deadline for the football was at 6 today......and you posted this after 8?

Tried setting up a team and got a database error straight away

Trying to sort team out now i assume i click a players position and can pick a player from there? It just keeps refreshing the page?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭apkb

great idea:) good work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 DancingOmelette

GAAman wrote: »
    Edit it says on the site the deadline for the football was at 6 today......and you posted this after 8?
    Haha, yeah, was working a late night on it yesterday, got confused about the date and wrote sat 30th... I've changed it to 31st now.
    Tried setting up a team and got a database error straight away
    Oops, the registered confirmation page was linking to the wrong place, I've sorted that now, thanks for the heads up.
    Trying to sort team out now i assume i click a players position and can pick a player from there? It just keeps refreshing the page?
    Are you on the "your team" page? That's just for moving subs around... You have to be on the transfers page to buy players. If you click on the name of a player on the right on the transfers page, it'll give you the option to buy them. We'll be making this smoother and better in the future, the plan is for some nice drag+dropping to buy and organise players.

No probs man i will try buy some players shortly here and let you know if any other probs come up

Edit, if you could change the page where you are buying players to be alphabetic it will make scrolling for particular teams/players easier, the way it is now for example carlow, wicklow then leitrim instead of carlow,leitrim and then wicklow you know?

Another edit just saw the filter had the page scrolled down so didnt see it at first

I clicked about 8 players ot realising you have to choose the number and position, then click transfer layer :o

Was wonderin why i still had €140 million, thought it was a glitch and i was gettin away with murder!

Spotted one mistake, no Eamon Fennell on the Dubs team, dunno bout missin players from other teams though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Good idea - hope you are successful with it! Moar hurling plz. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Should be brilliant and great fun, but i cannot get a team picked , reminds of my own club.

Will keep trying today, good luck with this should be big , have you it patented .

Good to hear some feedback... it sounds like the transfers page is a bit confusing, I'll try and get that sorted out ASAP.
    macadam wrote: »
    Should be brilliant and great fun, but i cannot get a team picked , reminds of my own club.
    What's the trouble you're having? Are you just unsure of how to use the page or is it not working properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

took me 5 mins to figure transfers out ... the website eventually needs to evolve into a drqag and drop interface but.. baby steps first huh ?

also I could have done with an extra 20m in the kitty

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chubba1984

The Limerick football team is full of hurlers. Now I know there have been problems with gettin Limerick players to play both codes but making the entire hurling team play football is hardly the answer!

The Carlow players have very low values while the Kilkenny players have very high values compared to both teams prospects in Div 4 of the league, maybe this could be looked at.

Also what's the deal with substitues, is there a priority in the subs, I want to move my no 5 sub to no 2 but one bein a back and one bein a forward seems it can't be done.

Altogether tho, this is a great idea and I wish you the best of luck with the site DancingOmelette. I'll certainly be logging in every week.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the feedback chubba - we knew we were going to have trouble with some of the players... we were rushing to get the teams organised in time and we don't know every single player so some of the values will be off. Our plan is that we'll get lots of good data on player performance during the league, and we'll be able to get player values sorted for the championship. We can't really change them now during the league or it'll throw off the values of existing member teams - it'll be unfair either on new members or current members. Any feedback you have on player values is good to hear though - keep it coming and we'll take note of it all for the championship :)

Sorry about the Limerick team being hurlers - I imported them from the wrong list, lol. Oh well, at least we have the hurling team for next week. We'll get the footballers in there shortly.

You make a good point with the subs - the order is important, and at the moment subs can't be easily moved. You'd have to sell the player and buy another player for the slot. I'll modify the team page so you can swap subs, I'll post back here when it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rockhammer

chubba1984 wrote: »
    The Limerick football team is full of hurlers. Now I know there have been problems with gettin Limerick players to play both codes but making the entire hurling team play football is hardly the answer!

I think I better standup and take the slack for this. Sorry about the Limerick team, as DancingOmelette has said we've got tied up in trying to get it ready on time. There may be more player mistakes in there :confused: - and if there is simply let us know and we will fix asap.

As for player values - we hope to use the national league as preparation to define the teams, players and values for the championship.

Just try and bear with us for now.... and enjoy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Good luck with it, refreshing to see a GAA fantasy site.
    Just entered a team, all Ulster -1, dont even know if half of them are playing this weekend,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Is it me or is the Cork first team - hell the Cork squad - gone completely AWOL? The vast majority players listed won't be anywhere near the Cork league squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Wheres my €140,000,000. gone cant seem to transfer/buy any players.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

The Cork squad problem aside, and the ood positional mistake, its pretty decent for a site in development. ;)

Could do with maybe 10 more in spending money.

macadam wrote: »
    Wheres my €140,000,000. gone cant seem to transfer/buy any players.
    Sorry macadam! My fault, I accidentaly zeroed the cash of anyone who hadn't selected any players yet while giving people back their money from a player removal issue earlier... I didn't notice it for a while. I've given you the money back now but you won't be able to select a team now till we reopen the transfers after the games this weekend. Sorry again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Rizzla King

Just set up an account and can't pick a team. Am I too late?

Yeah, sorry, you've missed the deadline for this weekend's games... don't worry though, we'll be reopening the league for transfers on monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Great site, looks really promising!

I'm kinda miffed cos I set up my team yesterday and then when I checked my email at half six this evening I got a mail saying some of my players may have accidently been removed from my team. I was just about to leave for the Dubs Tyrone game so I didn't have a chance to change anything and afaik the deadline was 6 o clock so I wouldn't have been able to anyway. Kinda annoying but I guess these things happen when something is in the early stages like this!

Best of luck with it!

Come on Wexford!!!

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm sure quite a few people will have had similar troubles... that's the problem with it being last minute. I was wondering if we should maybe run with it for a couple of weeks until we have everything going smoothly, and then restart it with plenty of notice to all members, give you time to set up a team properly for upcoming games and play it properly form then on... Or would that just upset people playing it currently? What do you guys think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Be as well let it run now as there is only 7 games in the league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 vidic15mu

Decent game,but why has half my team dissappeard??

yeah I think you should use the NFL as a test bed for the championship. make as many mistakes as possible for its sorted for the business end of the season.

sure we've started now, may aswell keep on going now for the league. There could be more mistakes waiting to happen, get them sorted for the championship!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Okey Doke

Registered just now so will I presume I'll be able to take part from this week ready for the second round of fixtures then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Good luck. I'll definitely register for the champo.

ARGH!! Michael Meehan was one of the players that accidently got deleted from my team and He scored 1-5 yesterday!!!

damm I think i had him too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 QPR

When will the scores appear and the league table?

Advertisement