Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Eircom to cut off Music File Sharers ..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

MRPRO03 wrote: »
    I think it would. The p2p system would recognise the file as an exe, the user downloads the file, and changes the extension back to mp3, and it should work fine.

Obviously because the record companies are too stupid to figure out that "Britneys latest hit.exe" is not the same as "Britneys latest hit.mp3", but all these people still using Eircoms wep key aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

I think it would. The p2p system would recognise the file as an exe, the user downloads the file, and changes the extension back to mp3, and it should work fine.
    Not with torrents it wouldn't. Rename the file and you'll have problems with your torrent. As far as anyone else connected to the tracker is concerned though, you've still got a copy of the file they're all down/uploading.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

eircom isn't spying on you, the record companies are. and the way they do that is to monitor torrent sites ad trackers and join the leeching pool for their own copyrighted material.

by downloading any file with any extension in exactly the same way you are they can see everyone else downloading the same thing and have a nice complete list of their IP addresses. with some very simple software they can filter out all the eircom users and hand eircom a list of those IP addresses with a date, time and what file they were downloading and Eircom then match that info to whatever users had those IP addresses and send out mails and you get a black mark next to your account.

the third time that happens, assuming you're dumb enough to (a.) stay with eircom and (b.) continue to download mp3's, eircom will pull the plug on your account.

assuming that eircdom do actually enforce this, using P2P to download mp3's on an eircom connection will get you banned. exactly how strictly they enforce it depends entirely on their own discretion, but you're not going to wriggle out of it by changing a file extension, wich you can't do before you download a file anyway, that would have to be done by the uploader and since he's not going to give a toss about one or two feckless eejits in ireland not getting the latest albums that's not going to happen either.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The filename and extension doesn't matter at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

is there any info about the other isps,or are eircom simply been used as scapegoats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Jarrath

Just out of curiosity, will Peer Guardian do anything to help protect yourself?

Not sure how effective as a peer filter system it is...

Jarrath wrote: »

not really,as someone said earlier its not fool proof,and as i said earlier aswell,a court could simply order the company to reveal the ips,it has been used in the united states

just made me think too,when you laugh about it,china has one of the strictest censorships in the world when comes to the internet,yet it still has blatant piracy,so it kinda gives the 2 fingers to the record companies dont it?

it's probably pretty effective at stopping 'official' snooping from the likes of giant servers in Microsoft HQ or other such places, but it's not going to do a thing to stop an employee of a company, or any contractors they may employ on the side from logging everything from an unknown external internet connection, or even a public one like a wifi hotspot or similar.

it's probably better than nothing, but i wouldn't be betting my life on it being foolproof by a very long shot.
    Fred83 wrote: »
    just made me think too,when you laugh about it,china has one of the strictest censorships in the world when comes to the internet,yet it still has blatant piracy,so it kinda gives the 2 fingers to the record companies dont it?
    china's one and only interest is protecting China itself, not record companies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

lmimmfn wrote: »
    basically Eircon will lose £

Surely €?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Well it can't hurt to use it. I use http://iblocklist.com/list.php?list=bt_level1 to get my black-lists. It's updated regularly.

Here's a list of DtecNet's IPs --

64.5.62.16 - 64.5.62.23
    67.19.76.16 - 67.19.76.23
    67.19.145.184 - 67.19.145.191
    67.19.195.32 - 67.19.195.79
    67.19.195.240-67.19.195.255
    67.19.195.240 - 67.19.195.255
    67.19.198.16 - 67.19.198.39
    67.19.198.48 - 67.19.198.63
    67.19.198.80 - 67.19.198.95
    67.19.199.32 - 67.19.199.47
    67.19.199.96 - 67.19.199.127
    67.19.203.168 - 67.19.203.207
    74.52.138.216 - 74.52.138.223
    74.55.55.64 - 74.55.55.159
    74.55.62.16 - 74.55.62.63
    74.55.62.128 - 74.55.62.255
    75.125.165.96 - 75.125.165.111
    80.63.58.96 - 80.63.58.96
    80.199.118.192 - 80.199.118.199
    174.133.137.48 - 174.133.137.191

The range in bold is DtecNets software servers so blocking that one will stop their software from connecting as a peer.

It's worthless as protection and use will always be used in evidence against you. There is no reason for users of Legitimate P2P content to use it.

You do realise DtecNets public IPs aren't the ones used by the "real" sniffing clients? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

watty wrote: »
    It's worthless as protection and use will always be used in evidence against you. There is no reason for users of Legitimate P2P content to use it.

You do realise DtecNets public IPs aren't the ones used by the "real" sniffing clients? :)

I don't use it myself, I just posted those details for anyone interested. DtecNet doesn't use a distributed software so there must be a fixed set of IPs that they own. As for PG2 been used as evidence against you, well unless you're taken to court and have your PC seized that's not gonna happen.

I don't use it myself, I just posted those details for anyone interested.
    O RLY? :rolleyes:
    Well it can't hurt to use it. I use xxx to get my black-lists. It's updated regularly.
    DtecNet doesn't use a distributed software so there must be a fixed set of IPs that they own. As for PG2 been used as evidence against you, well unless you're taken to court and have your PC seized that's not gonna happen.
    where else would it be used against you, in a McDonald's to stop you buying a burger?
    The range in bold is DtecNets software servers so blocking that one will stop their software from connecting as a peer.
    and you think that's the only set of IP addresses they might use to track your activities?

all they need is their software, a laptop and someone with a working pair of legs to walk into any internet cafe or wifi hotspot or even hire an outside contractor to do the work from somewhere other than their registered offices anywhere in the world with internet access.

if you think they are not aware of people using peerguardian and are unable to get around such a simple method of blocking what they are trying to do then you will find yourself sorely mistaken before very long at all.

why do you think the police user plain clothes detectives as well as uniformed officers? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

[QUOTE=watty;58819520][B]Open to all kinds of abuse:[/B]

[LIST]
    [*]Wrong IP or date/time  given. But 4 times? Even so eircom is likely to look at usage logs.

[*]eircom can use this as an excuse to disconnect heavy users. There might not be a report at all.

[*]Rights holders only see IPs + date/Time and *MAYBE* eircom reports of how many warned how many times and how many disconnected. They can have no idea how firmly or not eircom implement reported IPs. There is NO 1:1 user/IP mapping and an IP of a disconnected user can be reused by another copyright infringer. One IP can come up 100s of times. The Rights Holders can't know if that's one person or a hundred.

[*]How to you appeal on 1st warning if you KNOW it's a mistake as you NEVER do warez etc?
    [/LIST]

[B]However many press reports and posts here are badly inaccurate and sensationalist.[/B]

Something was going to be done and honestly I can't think of a better arrangement. Especially if eircom is flexible to a point and neither exploits the Rights Holders nor the subscribers lack of transparency.

eircom don't actually need to change T&C. They can already disconnect you very nearly at their own whim. (excess traffic, suspect copyright infringement).

There is no criminal prosecution here in this. If the Rights Holders did get court orders for users details (which they could), then it's a civil prosecution (sue), the burden of proof is very much less than in a criminal case.

People are also not going to get sued or investigated*. Ignore REPEATED warnings and you get disconnected. eircom can do that anyway if they want to heavy users. 

[B]Other questions[/B]
    [LIST]
    [*]Are repeated infringers ever "light users"?

[*]Does a "warning" expire with time so you are back to "zero"?
    [/LIST]

There are lots of intelligent questions to ask that we don't have answers to. Hysteria and trying to justify copyright infringement or "rubbish" the deal are not logical responses.

(*People involved in OTHER illegal activities of course will be discovered by Court Order and investigated. No change to that as it already happens. Garda even traced a [B]scammer[/B] to an Internet Cafe in Dublin and caught him when he came back. The scammer didn't know to use each Internet cafe only once and for minutes).[/QUOTE]

Lots of interesting questions there :)
    Have any been answered? Will Eircom answer any of them ?
    I'm most intrigued by this "warning system" . 3 strikes and you're out but how long does the first warning last for ? Similar to how a yellow/red card warning/infraction you get here lasts for a week.

What tools or power have record companies with regards the likes of a Rapidshare? I told a friend about this story last night and he said he was "Grand because (he has) rapidshare". Rapidshare is very big is it not ? Surely they'd want to tackle sharing of their copyrighted material there too ?

DeVore wrote: »
    My favourite game (LotRO) uses torrenting to distribute very very large updates. As does Wow. As does most Blizzard games.

Are they going to discriminate or is all P2P and torrent traffic fair game?

DeV.

I've used Dimeadozen which is semi-legit. In the last few weeks I've downloaded a fair few concerts and about 10gigs of DVDs. I'm assuming EirFailcom can see the ammount I download and have a peek ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭L.R. Weizel

It isn't really fair to be "Peeking" into that sort of thing to begin with.

Dime have a setup where the artist/management/record label can request to have a particular band removed from their trackers and banned from being listed. That seems pretty fair to be honest but I'm just wondering (and sorry if this seems like overreacting) will the likes of Dime users get caught up in it?

if you're using their network to do it and are doing something which has already had them dragged into court over and had to make an out of court settlement about then, yes it probably is fair. :)

unless you use the 'encrypted transport' setting that you get in some torrent clients your ISP is perfectly capable of using existing technology to 'see' what you are downloading. even encrypted transport only prevents people from seeing what you are downloading as it passes through their systems, but it will not protect you from peers connected to the same torrent seeing your IP address and since they are also downloading the same thing they will know what you are downloading. if one of those peers is someone wrking for a record company then you are fooked.:)

• Advertisement

I'm assuming EirFailcom can see the ammount I download and have a peek ?
    They could do. That's not what is happening in this situation though.
    Apart from the fact that they're not doing any 'peeking' in this situation, considering that you agreed not to share copyrighted material when you signed up for Eircom broadband they are pretty much within their rights. Are their T&Cs appropriate for an ISP? Probably not, but that's not the issue here.
    will the likes of Dime users get caught up in it?
    If the various *AAs decide to target Dime trackers and there are Eircom subscribers who share copyrighted music using Dime trackers, then yes, probably.

The term "copyright music" might be where it gets a little grey. There's no torrents on Dime that have commercially available music or videos. There's live recordings of gigs recorded by a fan but obviously he doesn't own the copyright per se.
    There's also some videos like Old Grey Whistle test clips that weren't released on the DVDs. There was one torrent I saw that had 2songs by a band from the Whistle Test but had the third song they played left out of the torrent as it was released on a DVD.

It's sour grapes if you're going to go after DIME I think , especially as they've put a lot of work into keeping stuff off of it that the record labels request.

The term "copyright music" might be where it gets a little grey. There's no torrents on Dime that have commercially available music or videos. There's live recordings of gigs recorded by a fan but obviously he doesn't own the copyright per se.
    There's also some videos like Old Grey Whistle test clips that weren't released on the DVDs.

The group, BBC, Concert organisers etc own the copyright. No greyness at all.

Fans recording at a concert are breaking copyright, people uploading shows recorded of TV are breaking copyright, There is no "per se" about it. The fan has made an illegal live recording.

In the UK personal recordings may be made legally from TV if (I think) kept no more than a year. Personal recording from TV you don't date stamp and forget to erase may be a grey area. Uploading it later does 100% break copyright.

However no-one has specifically said they are "going after Dime". But they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Would sites like rapidshare be fine to use since they can't directly monitor your downloads?

How do you know the *AA can't?

I'd not assume that.

The guy wrote: »
    Would sites like rapidshare be fine to use since they can't directly monitor your downloads?
    Under the settlement, the record companies will supply Eircom with the internet provider addresses of all persons who they detect illegally uploading or downloading copywrite works on a peer to peer basis
    Rapidshare is not peer-to-peer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Rapidshare is not peer-to-peer.

Doesn't mean the servers are not being monitored, either with or without RS's consent.

It's only a matter of time before the various *AAs go after RS to reveal information on infringers, or to get them to block downloaders.

jor el wrote: »
    Doesn't mean the servers are not being monitored, either with or without RS's consent.
    Don't see how it would happen without RS' consent unless it was being done illegally, and they've run into trouble with that sort of thing before.
    jor el wrote: »
    It's only a matter of time before the various *AAs go after RS to reveal information on infringers, or to get them to block downloaders.
    They've already tried...it'll be like playing whack-a-mole though. The German RIAA got an injunction against RS a couple of years ago, but it specified preventative measures rather than post-event prosecution. RS will be about as eager to implement that as Eircom are to implement deep packet inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

So for Eircom to prosecute using Rapidshare wouldn't they half to break the law?

If it came up that someone was using Rapidshare for downloading music wouldn't Eircom have to admit that they allowed packet sniffing by another company, wouldn't that be illegal?

• Advertisement

So for Eircom to prosecute using Rapidshare wouldn't they half to break the law?
    :pac:

Eircom wouldn't be prosecuting anyone.

If you get broadband from eircom you agree not to share copyrighted material...so if they cut you off for doing so they are just enforcing their terms and conditions.
    If it came up that someone was using Rapidshare for downloading music wouldn't Eircom have to admit that they allowed packet sniffing by another company, wouldn't that be illegal?
    tbh I don't know how to even start answering this...my answer is no.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement