Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Winfield Motors/Crawford Motors cease trading

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm that <rumour> are gone? Just got it on the grapevine so unconfirmed as of now.

Nope definately not gone.Rumours were just that-rumours!!!Dangerous that!!!Think these threads should be kept to Confirmed closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Nope definately not gone.Rumours were just that-rumours!!!Dangerous that!!!Think these threads should be kept to Confirmed closures.

+ 10000

please folks, only name names if it is absolutely certain and confirmed (by independent sources) that that business has indeed closed.

The recession is bad enough as it is, I would hate to see yet more people out of a job just because of rumours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

peasant wrote: »
    + 10000

please folks, only name names if it is absolutely certain and confirmed (by independent sources) that that business has indeed closed.

The recession is bad enough as it is, I would hate to see yet more people out of a job just because of rumours.
    +1 and only with related press links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

Pity about Westland - any sales staff that I dealt with there were decent and straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Hellrazer wrote: »

Who ya talkin' bout here Hellrazer? Westland? If so I am sorry to tell you that they are gone. Their used car department, Online Autos closed a couple of weeks back and Westland itself closed up last night. Heard it from the horses mouth today. Bad news!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Who ya talkin' bout here Hellrazer? Westland? If so I am sorry to tell you that they are gone. Their used car department, Online Autos closed a couple of weeks back and Westland itself closed up last night. Heard it from the horses mouth today. Bad news!

No not westland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

peasant wrote: »
    + 10000

Sorry about that post guys. I was really only asking the question ,not trying to start any rumour. Im in the trade myself and know all about the hard times. Wont happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Guys its getting scary out there. Another two big dealers have gone to the wall this week. I've confirmed it myself, but i have no link so i wont be naming names as yet. PM me if you want to know who it is.

Its getting seriously bad now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Guys

Please be careful when you say that car dealerships have gone out of business. This is a very difficult period for the motor trade and the last thing anyone in the that business needs to to read that they business is closed when it is not. Please double check before assuming.

I am just off the phone from Eddie Garry Car Sales - www.eddiegarrycars.com , they answered the phone with "Eddie Garry Car Sales" and I had a pleasant conversation with Eddie Garry himself. Eddie explained that he was lucky enough to be able to reduce his stock early on from 120 to 40-50 cars and felt that someone may have mis read the stock reduction as going out of business instead of a good business strategy, and that they are most definately still in business.

A free plug for The Service Centre at Eddie Garry Cars (where they service every make and model from €99) for not shouting down the phone and for appreciating the "social" web.

Thanks

V.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

re the original dealers mentioned in the thread, I'm not surprised they've gone. I had occasion twice over the last year to visit the showroom in Sandymount looking to buy a 2nd hand car and both times they were less than friendly. In fact, they were only marginally more friendly than the worst ever dealers I visited, which shall remain nameless (clue - they are in Sandyford Ind Estate and sell German cars!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭reverandkenjami

Got word today that a well known opel garage on the long mile road has gone under. Drove past it on the way home and its cleared out. Getting bad out there

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Got word today that a well known opel garage on the long mile road has gone under. Drove past it on the way home and its cleared out. Getting bad out there

Heard about 10 days ago that was coming.

In fairness, building new premises/moving/changing marque every 6 months was never goign to end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

I presume the reason places are closing is they cannot service their loans - loans for premises? I would assume if no significant loans can reduce staff numbers to match the current sales levels...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Brienoian

I drove past the old Winfield Motors site on Maxwell Road. It looks open again. There was a few cars parked outside and seemed to be business going on.
    Does anybody know if they have reopened?

Advertisement