Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Winfield Motors/Crawford Motors cease trading

Options
  • 28-01-2009 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭

These boys ceased trading midnight last night.

if anyone has a car in there, or are owed money, sort it out now!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

If this keeps up would the last one out please turn out the lights. Thats a biggy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Is that Crawford Dun Laoghaire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Yep i think thats where they are alright. Scary stuff.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Is this winfield that moved out to sandyford ind. est isn't it?
    and wheres your source?
    also if you cars in for repairs theres not a biggie worrie... they ain't gonna keep it.

Havent got a source Lenny, but im not gonna bullsh*t about it either. We've been ordered not to book in any cars, and try to clear the account asap with them. When my manager tells me to stop dealing with them because they ceased trading at midnight last night, thats good enough for me..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Ok.. but I'd just like to point out to my that my place about 10 months ago was the first main dealer garage let some staff go(about 8-10) and rumours were flying around that we were closed too, so rumours are rumours, and I just rang the garage, someone answered at the reception anyway, but didn't introduce what company it was at the open..
    sure winfield was always in the red since they were in rathmines.. hence why they sold out to apartments and moved

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm afraid we Do need a source for that kind of stuff ...you could be from the competition for all I know :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭kiss103

Just phoned up to check when my car is to be delivered and was talking to MD and he told me that they are in recievership ! so i think that's proof enough

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Its true alright.Was announced through the Ford Dealers association this morning at 8.00am.

Tut tut Peasant... Dont you trust me???!:D I am the competition too....;)

Only kiddin!

It is a big hit to the trade tho, Winfield have been around quite a long time.

I feel for anyone who has lost their job as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I bought a car of them last year, they offered the best price on a Ford Galaxy Ghia, I got €5k or 10% off. I bought the car in January 08 and I was the only customer there, I thought January would be the busiest time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Their financial situation hasn't been good even since before the motor trade went down the sh1tter. I remember a big article on their losses a couple of years ago back when times were good.

It really is a shame though to see them both go. Crawford's had been in business for over 100 years and Winfield Motors had always been a respected Ford dealer. Another long established motor business gone.:(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Yeah I could never figure out why Winfield Motors bought the Crawfords garages in the first place.
    They were doing well in Rathmines with a single dealership.

There was talk of a takeover of them last week by another well known Ford dealer but I heard that that fell through yesterday and thats why they closed up shop today.

Theres definitely going to be more closures to come and its the dealers who in the last 2-3 years who invested in huge showrooms who are going to suffer the most with the huge rents/mortgages on these properties.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Their financial situation hasn't been good even since before the motor trade went down the sh1tter. I remember a big article on their losses a couple of years ago back when times were good.

It really is a shame though to see them both go. Crawford's had been in business for over 100 years and Winfield Motors had always been a respected Ford dealer. Another long established motor business gone.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kw6799

Winfield are gone, its a very sad day, Westland Peugeot are gone as well today, the Distributors have a lot to answer for with their "standards", not much point in having a great premises if you have no customers.

This is a lesson for everyone, tell Distributors to get lost when they are trying to spend Dealers money. Car Dealers are car Dealers they should not be defined by their new car sales, profit not sales are the facts.

kw6799 wrote: »
    Winfield are gone, its a very sad day, WestlanD Peugeot are gone as well today, the Distributors have a lot to answer for with their "standards", not much point in having a great premises if you have no customers.

This is a lesson for everyone, tell Distributors to get lost when they are trying to spend Dealers money. Car Dealers are car Dealers they should not be defined by their new car sales, profit not sales are the facts.

Westland are in Liffey Valley right? Link?

If they are gone, its starting to get scary out there.

That would be -
    Winfield
    Crawfords
    Eddie Garry Subaru {**ADMIN EDIT** NB: Eddie Garry is still trading}
    Westland Peugeot

In one week???:eek:

Don't for get BK motors in that list!!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭leon8v

Winfield are gone, its a very sad day, Westland Peugeot are gone as well today, the Distributors have a lot to answer for with their "standards", not much point in having a great premises if you have no customers.

Its an awful shame about these dealers alright and Its terrible news for the staff involved.
    Its not always the distributors fault as regards standards, these are dictated from the manufacturer and a lot of times the distributor is caught in the middle. A distributor wont want to see ones of its dealers going to the wall either.
    Unfortunately these guys are only the start of it, there will be more, lets just hope its not too many but if the market keeps going the way it is, its only a matter of time before the banks close in on a few more unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There will be many shiny glass palaces empty by the summer. The indy "corner boys"
    will survive though.

No really cannot agree about Distributors and Manufactures, anyone who has dealt with a Distributor in Ireland in the past five years knows the score. Go to places like France, Spain, Italy and others the garages are not that great.

Distributors saw "block exemption" as an excuse to push for "their" dealers to have the best premises to enhance their product. What they (dealers) forgot was that Distributors were spending Dealers money promising increased sales on better premises, where are the promises now.

Everyone back to small premises and lower overheads please (if you can) small is beautiful, there will be blood on the streets now, once a few "names" go it will start a run.

Thats the facts.

No really cannot agree about Distributors and Manufactures, anyone who has dealt with a Distributor in Ireland in the past five years knows the score. Go to places like France, Spain, Italy and others the garages are not that great.

Distributors saw "block exemption" as an excuse to push for "their" dealers to have the best premises to enhance their product. What they (dealers) forgot was that Distributors were spending Dealers money promising increased sales on better premises, where are the promises now.

Everyone back to small premises and lower overheads please (if you can) small is beautiful, there will be blood on the streets now, once a few "names" go it will start a run.

Thats the facts.

We are going off topic here but I dont fully agree there, Of course it looks great to have a big impressive showroom and what marque wouldnt want their product sold from one, but if the dealer was basing spending that amount of money based solely on promises of increased sales, then really they shouldnt be in business in the first place. Would you build a million euro showroom based solely on someone promising you sales? Come on, nobody is that naieve. The owners of these dealerships didnt have their arms twisted up their backs when building these showrooms.
    There are plenty of huge showrooms in cities across all those countries you listed, just like there are plenty of small franchised dealerships in Ireland who didnt seem to have to spend millions? Maybe more astute owners?
    Just to clarify, I am not saying in any way that I dont have sympathy for these dealers, I do, an awful lot, and for the staff moreso. But I dont think its fair to push all the blame onto distributors.

• Advertisement

Westland are in Liffey Valley right? Link?

If they are gone, its starting to get scary out there.

That would be -
    Winfield
    Crawfords
    Eddie Garry Subaru
    Westland Peugeot

In one week???:eek:

Yes westland are deffo gone!
    closed last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Can anyone confirm that <rumour> are gone? Just got it on the grapevine so unconfirmed as of now.

Yea someone in work said they heard it there "rumour" there cars were taken off the fore court two weeks ago?
    rumours are nasty, they drive business away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Lenny wrote: »
    rumours are nasty, they drive business away

Absolutely - we all need to be careful about what we're saying on these threads.

Dealer most certainly did have their arms twisted, some Dealers with franchises for twenty years were looking at loosing the franchises they built up if they did not commit to building, in fact termination notices were issued in advance and if they built they got new contracts, costs are what are driving people out of business, franchises have a higher or lower standards depending on the distributors decisions.

It will not be long till all distribution will be controlled from the country of origin they will close offices in Ireland, so long see ya.

We all have to set our sights a little lower in the future.

AudiChris wrote: »
    Absolutely - we all need to be careful about what we're saying on these threads.

I agree

It will not be long till all distribution will be controlled from the country of origin they will close offices in Ireland, so long see ya.

I wouldnt be so sure about that.
    You sound like you have a chip on your shoulder about a distributor.
    Anyway getting back on track, its unfortunate about these dealers and their staff. Hopefully they will get some sort of compensation as jobs in the motor trade are hard to come by at the moment.

leon8v wrote: »
    I wouldnt be so sure about that.
    You sound like you have a chip on your shoulder about a distributor.
    Anyway getting back on track, its unfortunate about these dealers and their staff. Hopefully they will get some sort of compensation as jobs in the motor trade are hard to come by at the moment.

No Leon no chip just a simple fact look into it and you will see that it is a fact.

No Leon no chip just a simple fact look into it and you will see that it is a fact.

I have and thats why I dont agree. We'll agree to disagree on it.

• Advertisement

leon8v wrote: »
    I have and thats why I dont agree. We'll agree to disagree on it.

Yea we have it Leon the staff yep we got that, but garages go out of business to this degree because of overhead and lack of sales, if you looked into it then you would know, pity you have to show your ignorance of the issue on a forum like this but I guess you you have looked in it so we can all be happy now.

I will sleep better tonight knowing "you have looked into it" but ask the guys out of work and they will tell you.

Advertisement