Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US FEMA "Martial Law" camps are on the way as new HR 645 Bill is proposed.

Options
13»

Comments

Full Article:
    Bloomberg wrote:
    Schwarzenegger Opens California Fairgrounds to Homeless Camp
    Share | Email | Print | A A A

By Michael B. Marois

March 25 (Bloomberg) -- California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger said a make-shift tent city for the homeless that sprang up in the capital city of Sacramento will be shut down and its residents allowed to stay at the state fairgrounds.

Schwarzenegger said he ordered the state facility known as Cal-Expo to be used for three months to serve the 125 tent city residents, some of them displaced by the economic recession. The encampment may be shut down within a month, said Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson. The move comes after the Sacramento City Council last night agreed to spend $880,000 to expand homeless programs.

“Together with the local government and volunteers, we are taking a first step to ensure the people living in tent city have a safe place to stay, with fresh water, healthy conditions and access to the services they need,” Schwarzenegger said in a statement. “And I am committed to working with Mayor Johnson to find a permanent solution for those living in tent city.”

California, home to one of every eight Americans, has been particularly hard hit by the housing market collapse after many residents turned to exotic mortgages to afford homes. The tent city, which has long existed along the banks of the America River, gained national attention last month when some of its recently homeless residents were featured on the Oprah Winfrey Show.

The state has one of the highest rates of foreclosure, according to RealtyTrac Inc., an Irvine, California-based seller of real estate data. California home prices dropped 41 percent last month from a year earlier, more than double the U.S. decline, as surging foreclosures drove down values, the state Association of Realtors said today.

State Unemployment

The state’s unemployment rate rose to 10.5 percent in February, as construction, financial and manufacturing companies eliminated jobs, leaving the most-populous U.S. state with one of the nation’s worst job markets.

The shelter at Cal-Exp currently houses about 150 people. It will be expanded by another 50 beds, and will include facilities for families with children.

For Related News and Information:

To contact the reporter on this story: Michael B. Marois in Sacramento at mmarois@bloomberg.net
    Last Updated: March 25, 2009 16:22 EDT

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Somewhere between 150 and 200 people constitutes a city now?

Good grief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

bonkey wrote: »
    Somewhere between 150 and 200 people constitutes a city now?

Good grief.
    The term "tent cities" now seems to be the official term for these encampments across the states, it is used by the media, Video links may not be of the same camps, but would give you some prospective of them. They are spread out and they are continually growing. Cars, RV's vans, portaloos, soup kitchens, refuse build up, etc All this would resemble some kind of a city.

They are a definite eyesore and the solution is obvious, get rid of them "out of site" into the numerous clean "government facilities" This cronic situation dose not look at all good for Obama or America. .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnnOOo6tRs8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvyubNLbbjo&feature=related

They are spread out and they are continually growing. Cars, RV's vans, portaloos, soup kitchens, refuse build up, etc All this would resemble some kind of a city.

Yeah, could nearly be 300 people there soon at this rate.

tent village more like it

The term "tent cities" now seems to be the official term for these encampments across the states, it is used by the media, Video links may not be of the same camps, but would give you some prospective of them. They are spread out and they are continually growing. Cars, RV's vans, portaloos, soup kitchens, refuse build up, etc All this would resemble some kind of a city.

For 150-200 people, it would resemble some kind of large village.

The refugee camps in the likes of Darfur, holding tens of thousands of people...they would be tent cities.

Let there be no misunderstanding...I'm criticising the blatant misrepresentation of the situation by the media, here.
    They are a definite eyesore and the solution is obvious, get rid of them "out of site" into the numerous clean "government facilities"
    Let me see if I understand you correctly...

A government is offering aid to some of its homeless, and you're implying that this is a bad thing? You seem to be suggesting that they should be left to suffer in squalor, rather than be given the benefit of taxpayer's dollars?

• Advertisement

For 150-200 people, it would resemble some kind of large village.

The refugee camps in the likes of Darfur, holding tens of thousands of people...they would be tent cities. ?.

Let there be no misunderstanding...I'm criticizing the blatant misrepresentation of the situation by the media, here.
    Again from the Media.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/mar/26/tent-city-california-recession-economy

A government is offering aid to some of its homeless, and you're implying that this is a bad thing? You seem to be suggesting that they should be left to suffer in squalor, rather than be given the benefit of taxpayer's dollars?
    In the US there are anti Vagrancy laws in existence, homeless are obliged to stay at overnight shelters or official trailer parks.

No one knows of the conditions of these facilities, will there be freedom of movement for those staying (held) there, how will they fare out when they become overcrowded which is inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Why do you keep quoting the media even though they're controlled by the NWO?

In the US there are anti Vagrancy laws in existence, homeless are obliged to stay at overnight shelters or official trailer parks.

No one knows of the conditions of these facilities, will there be freedom of movement for those staying (held) there, how will they fare out when they become overcrowded which is inevitable.
    How do you know they'll be overcrowded? Will this be on propose?

Forgive me if I don't see the relevance.

I made the point that arguing that 200 people do not a city make, and that its bad reporting. You linked to a media article referring to a group of that size as a "city", showing a picture of part of this city which is, frankly, not even large enough to be called a village.

If no-one knows the conditions of these facilities, then its presumptious of you to be suggesting that there is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

Forgive me if I don't see the relevance.

I made the point that arguing that 200 people do not a city make, and that its bad reporting. You linked to a media article referring to a group of that size as a "city", showing a picture of part of this city which is, frankly, not even large enough to be called a village.

Bonkey, you're splitting hairs here when you talk about city vs. village. In America every little town or major metropolis is known in it's own right as a city. It's about the address.

NAME,
    STREET,
    CITY,
    STATE.

DubTony wrote: »
    Bonkey, you're splitting hairs here when you talk about city vs. village.

Let me reiterate: I'm criticising the blatant misrepresentation of the situation by the media.

I find it refreshing to see those who are usually critical of the mainstream media fighting to maintain that they're painting an accurate picture here...and that I am "splitting hairs" by suggesting that the use of the term is not just "reporting the facts", but rather misrepresentation.

I trust we will remember this the next time people try to argue that the media are misconstruing something to further an agenda...that you will again leap to their defence and accuse those distrustful souls of splitting hairs, and that misleading terms are perfectly reasonable as long as one can find any sort of an excuse.

• Advertisement

Bonkey, you're splitting hairs here when you talk about city vs. village. In America every little town or major metropolis is known in it's own right as a city. It's about the address.

NAME,
    STREET,
    CITY,
    STATE.
    When I come to think of it, I can remember calling directory inquiries in LA, the receptionist on the phone would ask me what city was I in, I would reply "Los Angeles", I would then be asked to be more specific, It only then dawned on me that every suburb of LA is classed as a city, IE Culver, Pasadena, Inglewood and approximately 89 others. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Cities_in_Los_Angeles_County

The rest of Americas is the same, the Bay Area which covers San Fransisco, Berkley, Oakland has a total of 101 cities. It wouldn't take much for a group if tents to form a large cluster that could also require an "address" what a more appropriate term to use than to give it a "city". The term "tent city" also exagerates the plight and makes the situation sound more serious than if they were to just refere to them as "tent villages".

BTW there is a shop in South Dublin called "computer City", it would be no more than about 1000sq ft and has less than six people employed there. :pac:

Let me reiterate: I'm criticising the blatant misrepresentation of the situation by the media.

I find it refreshing to see those who are usually critical of the mainstream media fighting to maintain that they're painting an accurate picture here...and that I am "splitting hairs" by suggesting that the use of the term is not just "reporting the facts", but rather misrepresentation.

I trust we will remember this the next time people try to argue that the media are misconstruing something to further an agenda...that you will again leap to their defence and accuse those distrustful souls of splitting hairs, and that misleading terms are perfectly reasonable as long as one can find any sort of an excuse.

This is nonsense and it doesn't change the fact that you are pulling this thread off topic. The media aren't doing anything here other than reporting a story. and in all probability shouldn't be blamed for this "tent city" title. It's more likely that the name was created by the very people who live there or people local to the area. As I've already stated, and Hills has confirmed, in America every area you live in, be it a village or a metropolis is called a city for address purposes. As you seem to have directed that post at me, I can confidently tell you that I've never accused the media of anything on this forum. Surely we'd be better off debating the topic of the thread, and not arguing about arguing or debating the finer points of debating, an activity that is all too popular around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

BTW there is a shop in South Dublin called "computer City", it would be no more than about 1000sq ft and has less than six people employed there.

7 people are employed there. A trading name does not a city make.

This is nonsense and it doesn't change the fact that you are pulling this thread off topic.

I don't understand. You say its off-topic, and then spend the rest of yoru post discussing it...
    As you seem to have directed that post at me, I can confidently tell you that I've never accused the media of anything on this forum.

Every post prior to that one was in response to a different poster...who was also the same poster who supplied the links to the media.

Either which way, I don't see how any of this was on-topic. The people weren't being moved to a FEMA camp. They were not being moved based on HR 645. Basically, we had news articles about how Arnie was doing something for some tiny number of homeless, accompanied with some completely-unsourced comments about "concerns" about how this was possibly the precursor to something bigger.

And away we go again. My last word on this.

You brought up that 200 people doesn't make a city. I explained why it does.
    And then you came back with that pile of sh*te.

I bid you good day sir.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

it is the Precursor to something bigger tho Bonkey, thats the issue here, it starts off small, so small that people ridicule the effort as pointless, but the y get the system worked out in the Beta tests, the homeless form 'Tent City' then they move on to the poor suburbs where people are hoverng on the line and so on and so forth until all the 'undesirables have been relocated, then once they're out of the spotlight, or worse applauded by the right minded upstanding civic community, they move on to the dissidents, then its more groups of undesirables, however this time they have a mandate from the small local communitys (Citys) to remove their Vagrants etc, where does it stop

someone has a sig here on boards as a quote from someone ese in Nazi Germany
    -when they came for the jews I did nothing, when they came for the communists I did nothing, when they came for the gypses I did nothing, until they came for me and there was no one left to speak out- or something like that.

if you read the papers from 1938 churchill was vilified for speakin out about nice mr Hitler and his progressive new system.

sorry to repeatedly goodwin threads but can no one else see the F*ckin patern?????

You brought up that 200 people doesn't make a city. I explained why it does.
    And then you came back with that pile of sh*te.

I stopped discussing the point when you complained about it being off-topic, and reverted to discussing the content that was added.

If you choose to call getting back on topic "that pile of sh*te", that's your lookout.

it is the Precursor to something bigger tho Bonkey, thats the issue here,

How do we know its a precursor? There is nothing in any of hte media content linked to suggesting such a thing. Rather, we've been shown something relatively normal, and are then told that its some sort of worrying pre-cursor...with no evidence to back up that claim.
    where does it stop
    Arguing that this is the start of something is like saying that the creation of halting sites for travellers in Ireland was the first step in a plot to exterminate all travellers in concentration camps, and asking where that would stop.

someone has a sig here on boards as a quote from someone ese in Nazi Germany
    -when they came for the jews I did nothing, when they came for the communists I did nothing, when they came for the gypses I did nothing, until they came for me and there was no one left to speak out- or something like that.
    When someone can show that they're coming for anyone, I'll be the first to speak out. While people are arguing that state aid is some sort of evil plot, though, I'll be the first to point out that this is just an unfounded claim.
    sorry to repeatedly goodwin threads but can no one else see the F*ckin patern?????
    What fu*kin pattern? You're cherry-picking one event from history, ignoring all thats different about it, and saying "this must be the same". Meanwhile, you're ignoring countless other events from history which are a much closer match and which weren't precursors to any program of extermination.

Volunteers Joined Mao, then they rounded everyone else up and marched for a while
    volunteers joined Pol Pot, then they rounded everyone els up and marched for a while
    Voluntreers joined Pinochet, then they rounded everyone else up and marched for a while

it starts off with volunteers, then as they get moer power it becomes mandatory, then its an us and them situation eiter you are with us or you are the enemy, its not an isolated incident in history more a recurring patern, the specifics of each situation may be varied but the end result is usualy the same

Volunteers Joined Mao, then they rounded everyone else up and marched for a while
    volunteers joined Pol Pot, then they rounded everyone els up and marched for a while
    Voluntreers joined Pinochet, then they rounded everyone else up and marched for a while

it starts off with volunteers, then as they get moer power it becomes mandatory, then its an us and them situation eiter you are with us or you are the enemy, its not an isolated incident in history more a recurring patern, the specifics of each situation may be varied but the end result is usualy the same

So you're saying that anyone out to get volunteers is really trying to rule the world?

I pointed this out before, but you didn't respond to the post...

You're arguing that "B comes from A" equates to "A always leads to B".

Conspiracy Theorists look for people to voluntarily join their various movements. Are they all out to rule the world?

• Advertisement

OK to answer your point, we're debating B, the private army concept

OK to answer your point, we're debating B, the private army concept

Only a few posts ago, they were being rounded up as a precursor to widescale forced internment. You referenced to the "when they came for..." comments. You made it clear that you saw this as a pattern the same as what the Nazis in Germany got up to....concentration camps, possibly hinting at mass execution or genocide.

Now, you're saying that we're discussing private armies? We're not discussing private armies, MC. We're discussing the suggestion that offering someone aid is a well-established "pattern" that somehow leads to forced internment.

You've produced examples about how other forms of voluntary membership have, in very, very few cases, led to something mandatory....and even then, you're describing something completely different. To use your Godwin approach, its like suggesting that the Nazi concentration camps were the same as the Hitler Youth.

The world is full of voluntary organisations. Amongst those, there is no shortage of state-run organisations where membership is voluntary. There is no shortage of voluntary aid organisations. There is no shortage of state-sponsored, aid programs.

Of course, if we look at that vast number, we'll quickly see that there is a pattern. We see that voluntary organisations are almost-without-exception exactly what they appear to be. They are voluntary. We see that aid organisations are almost-without-exception exactly what they appear to be - organisations which offer aid. We see that state-run, voluntary aid programs are almost-without-exception what they appear to be.

Your pattern involves ignoring this vast majority of examples and just looking at the exceptions and arguing that just because they exist, we have reason to believe that this specific example is another such exception. The similarities you point to - they're similarities shared by the myriad of non-sinister cases that you ignore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

These people will never give up their weapons.

Oh yes they will , with psychotronics technology , when the grid is in place .:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

espinolman wrote: »
    Oh yes they will , with psychotronics technology , when the grid is in place .:cool:

What's this grid you speak of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

A combination of resurrection and word eating. :]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

espinolman wrote: »
    Any update on the grid, Espinolman? Is it time to start worrying yet? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

You want fries with those words you're eating, Bonkey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Well, the 'fries' might actually give him something to eat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement