Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eastwood rants at "soft" generation.

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

I agree with Biggins, sign those lil monsters up to the army right away. I tell ya, there's nothing better for a child than to mould them into trained killers. Sure look at everyone over thirty here, if they weren't frolicking in the forests as kids they were out in the firing range working on their 200-yard mortar targetting. It all went wrong for this country when Playstations and iPods and the internet was invented and it's in no way hypocritical for me to say that.

Actually, it's not turning them into trained killers. you take little scumbag of about 18. He never finished school cos he didn't bother his arse going in, has a few offenses under his belt (say robbing some people and getting in a few fights), tells everyone including his family to **** off when they try and help and is generally a pain in the arse and is steadily getting worse.

So they put him in the military for a bit.The first thing he is trained is following every bit of direction he is given and he is punished if he doesn't. A Sergent isn't related to you and doesn't give a **** how upset he makes you and nor does he feel sorry for you. They're there to make a tight unit of soldiers, and they need to weed out the arsehole in some people. From what I can see, you're trained not be an idiot before you can even look at a weapon.

The problem a lot of these little ****ers have nowadays is discipline, I'm only 22 but I can see it myself. That's why they're sent to the army, to learn a little bit of it because some of them never have it.

What Clint is saying is by the time his generation were 18 they were very grown up already. When my generation hits 18, they're still fairly lost. It's also extremely unfair to assume all students are bums and depend on mammy. A fair few work for their own pittance and keep themselves afloat. I did it myself because I wanted to. And I'm the typical hippy haired, IT guy who builds PCs and weighs about as much as his shoes.

Clint's right though. People seem to willing to take handouts and the quick fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,326 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The Greeks and Romans used to complain about the young and how they were soft and not real men like (.....) back in the day. Positions in the phalanx were determined by the perception of the youth being a bunch of pussies. The argument is nothing new, but if each generation is progressively softer than the one proceeding it, Adam must have been one tough f***er. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

kowloon wrote: »
    Adam must have been one tough f***er. :D

He needed to be:
    Eve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

Who's "today's generation"? And believe me, my parents would consider my generation to have had it too easy - and I'd be one of the older posters here (30). They're right too - we've had it piss-easy and now we're in terror because of the recession. I don't know what age you are, but the average age here is about 25 so there's a good chance you fall into that age category - if so, you're no-one to talk (not meant in a nasty way). However, you could be one of the rare 50-somethings to post on Boards - and if so, my apologies. :)[/quote]

im not saying i slaved away like my grandparents b8ut youre missing the point

i dont have to be clints age to agree with him when he says people (myself included ) are soft and have it way too easy

i can remember my granny telling me and my sister that she used to walk 6 miles to school in the snow without shoes

me and my sister were in stitches when we heard the story

dont even try to tell me todays generation arent complete pussies compared to our grandparemts or even parents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Wagon wrote: »
    When my generation hits 35, they're still fairly lost.
    FYP.
    madmik wrote: »
    dont even try to tell me todays generation arent complete pussies compared to our grandparemts or even parents
    Of course I won't. I agree completely.
    My mum's in her early 60s - they took baths in rainwater, used oil lamps for light, the house would get so cold there was frost inside the windows, they did the several miles walking to and from school every day.
    But at least they had a house and they always had enough to eat - that was what it boiled down to ultimately back then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

kowloon wrote: »
    The Greeks and Romans used to complain about the young and how they were soft and not real men like (.....) back in the day. Positions in the phalanx were determined by the perception of the youth being a bunch of pussies. The argument is nothing new, but if each generation is progressively softer than the one proceeding it, Adam must have been one tough f***er. :D
    QFT

I also agree with tallaght01 on the point about what constitutes softness. It's not all about going grrrr and having a hard physical labour existence. Taking his particular discipline, medicine. OK you have the silver spoon types who do it, but no matter how easy the home life is it is a bloody tough job to train for and a tough job to do. Oh yea some bloated golf playing consultant living on the back of years of work is one image some have, but IME(rellies and mates in the game) they're the rarity. The workload of young doctors makes a job down the mines look easy, certainly from a pure mental exhaustion point of view, never mind emotional exhaustion. These people make life or death decisions on an almost daily basis. Same for nurses too. IMHO I would say most doctors are tough, both mentally and physically. If they're not they won't last. I wouldn't envy them TBH.

I think people are less stoical as much as anything. They're less resistent to the stresses and strains of life and tend to mask it with drink drugs and other distractions more than maybe previous generations. There's an expectation of "more" all the time, which previous generations didn't have to nearly the same extent. There is an impatience in people. Even the internet has brought great access to knowledge yet I come on here and as an older guy am shocked how little people actually know when the answer is a search engine click away. So much info yet so little filter on many, simply because they've not been taught to learn.

I would also say that we live in a more feminised or better a more juvenile society for want of a better word. Things that are considered masculine, are often considered undesirable. On the one hand I laud the fact that men are allowed have more expression for their feelings, on the other hand I don't need to be lambasted just because I don't emote over every damned thing in sight.

On the subject of skin cancer, IMH very unscientific O;) I suspect that skin cancer is as much to do with diet as sun exposure. Look at the skin cancer rates, they drop off as one goes further south in europe where there is more UV exposure. OK the locals would be darker over generations but equally they will have been slowly exposed to the sun from an early age, which would build up resistance. Add in that a diet high in lycopene and beta carotene protects from UV damage.

While I do think acute strong sun exposure is bad particularly in young pale skinned children, I also feel lack of sun exposure on a daily low level may actually be detrimental long term. As dudess said we evolved white skin because of our higher latitudes. Not to protect or not protect from sun exposure, more to increase our uptake of vit D. A damned important vitamin which while present in food doesn't come close to getting it through the skin. Indeed white skin was one of the first adaptations of early europeans for just this reason. Black skin this far north leaves you open to higher chances of rickets, bone weakness among other things. Interesting article I read on afro americans. The further north in the US they lived the higher their incidence of high blood pressure, heart disease, bowel cancer, osteoporosis and a few other nasties. Looking at our sedentary indoor lives and wearing sunblock everyday, I would put good money that most northern europeans are low on vit d.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

madmik wrote: »

Who cares? What do you suggest? Dismantle all of the machinery that makes manual labour easier? My Dad had to support his entire family when he was my age. Not becuase he wanted to show how much of a hard man he was, or how he could compare to his own impressive father but because he had to. That's it. It was that or starve.

Nobody knows their limits until they are truly pushed to the brink. But I can say with some certainty that no matter how bad the next few years will get economically, we as a generation will adapt and overcome it despite our alleged mollycoddled lifestyle. And it wont be because we need to prove that we can stand shoulder to shoulder with our parents, it'll be because we'll have to do it to SURVIVE. We're human, we may seem and behave like pussies but our strongest instinct is still to survive. Fúcking internet warriors...

Which brings me to this:
    Biggins wrote: »
    ...and the other remain half will still be defending, while the gormless twats are crapping in their pants crying for their mammies, daddies and playstations, hiding under their beds!

Get a grip, there's nothing shameful about being afraid of war.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

On one side we're getting told video games turn people into violent killers.
    On the other we're being told they're turning us into war fearing wimps.

Which is it? :confused: I'm gonna go with neither.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

javaboy wrote: »
    On one side we're getting told video games turn people into violent killers.
    On the other we're being told they're turning us into war fearing wimps.

Which is it? :confused: I'm gonna go with neither.

Listening to the Last Word there it appears that Brain training is a con and all.
    It's all tumbling down around us. Next thing they will be telling us that fully cooked chickens and hams I find on the side of the road won't increase my health bar.
    In the words of BritBrit Spears, If you Seek Amy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Degsy wrote: »
    Balls.
    If the parent had seen one of the "in loco Parentis" applying suncream to the child she'd be whinging about them touching her child and she'd probably seek legal action on the basis that they were feeling her kids up.
    When i was a kid people got sunburned all the time and it didnt do anybody any major harm aside form a bit of discomfort.
    Whingers and wimps thats all some people are.

Whatever about the cause of skin cancer. You have obviously never seen anyone badly burned from sunburn.
    My own father a tough man got absolutely destroyed with sunburn on his back a few years ago (through a tshirt but no suncream) and he was in serious pain and discomfort, couldnt sleep with it.
    I dread to think of a child getting burnt like that and I would do my utmost to prevent that happening my kid or any kid for that matter.
    imo you are talking sh1t.

I do not agree that it was better years ago. That people were somehow tougher and therefore better because of the beatings and abuse they received or the reign of fear and power the catholic church had over people.
    People lives were ruined by the likes of that.
    This country has moved on and for the better. The freedom of choice and help available to most of us nowadays is not negative in the least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Listening to the Last Word there it appears that Brain training is a con and all.
    It's all tumbling down around us. Next thing they will be telling us that fully cooked chickens and hams I find on the side of the road won't increase my health bar.
    In the words of BritBrit Spears, If you Seek Amy.

Well brain training won't make you smarter but there is some evidence to suggest it can help keep off illnesses such as Alzheimer's.

It never really promised to make people smarter and the brain age thing was only ever a score really to keep you involved.

Its a bit unrealistic to say it does nothing, it keeps your brain active which is better than vegetating in front of a tv watching soaps. At least you'll be able to solve Sudoku's really fast so if you end up in a cave with 3 door ways and have to solve a puzzle to find the right door, you sorted!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

thebman wrote: »
    Well brain training won't make you smarter but there is some evidence to suggest it can help keep off illnesses such as Alzheimer's.

It never really promised to make people smarter and the brain age thing was only ever a score really to keep you involved.

Its a bit unrealistic to say it does nothing, it keeps your brain active which is better than vegetating in front of a tv watching soaps. At least you'll be able to solve Sudoku's really fast so if you end up in a cave with 3 door ways and have to solve a puzzle to find the right door, you sorted!

I think Matt Cooper was referring to this sort of stuff:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/158302/study_nintendos_brain_games_dont_trump_pencils.html

Just to complete this threads ultimate derailment from its original topic of the coolest man evar calling us all pussies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

it's his generation's fault for working so hard to enrich the proceeding generations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

I think Matt Cooper was referring to this sort of stuff:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/158302/study_nintendos_brain_games_dont_trump_pencils.html

Just to complete this threads ultimate derailment from its original topic of the coolest man evar calling us all pussies.

would be alot worse if someone like tom cruise called us pussies

being called a pussy from the outlaw josey wales aint so bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Clint Eastwood is not Harry Callaghan or Bill Money. He is an actor. He made the most self indulgent career decision imaginable. Anyone who is a normal person who works for a living doing a job they don't like is a thousand times tougher than Clint.

Advertisement