Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eastwood rants at "soft" generation.

Options
  • 26-01-2009 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭

Clint Calls Us 'Generation Pussy'
    Posted Dec 16, 08 2:09 PM CST in Glossies, Arts & Living

(Newser) – "We live in more of a pussy generation now," Clint Eastwood tells Esquire upon the release of his new film Gran Torino. "Everybody's become used to saying, 'Well, how do we handle it psychologically?' " Eastwood, who grew up having to duke it out with bullies, looks back to a more stoic time: "My father had a couple of kids at the beginning of the Depression. There was not much employment. Not much welfare. People barely got by. People were tougher then."

But stoicism didn't mean a lack of sentiment, Clint adds. "Look how fast—seven years—people have been able to forget 9/11. Maybe you remember if you lost a relative or a loved one. But the public can get pretty blasé about stuff like that. Nobody got blasé about Pearl Harbor."
    Source: Esquire
    http://www.newser.com/story/45398/cl...ion-pussy.html

So what do you say people? Are we a generation that demands everything on a plate without putting the work in to earn it? Or did cranky ol' Clint wake up on the wrong side of the baby? Or maybe, just maybe, this is just a publicity stunt since it coincides with Clints portrayal of a pissed off old man in Gran Torino?

I posted this in AH because it's more than just about a celebrity, it brings up what many people would feel is a reasonable point about the behaviour of "the younger generation". And hey, if we can have a thread about Brand and Ross in AH then why not this?

Oh, and here's 8 not so macho facts about Clint.:pac:

http://www.cracked.com/article_14872...-eastwood.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Is Clint the Citizen?:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I'd say he could still beat me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

LZ5by5 wrote: »

Oh, and here's 10 not so macho facts about Clint.:pac:

http://www.cracked.com/article_14872...-eastwood.html

Its actually 8 facts. The clue is in the link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Personally i think he is spot on. There are kids in college now who don't know what it's like to never have the net, a mobile phone, parents with two cars at their beck and call.

And the amount of sheer pussies knocking about the place is simply sickening.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

It's defo true, but it wont be forever. As each country goes through cycles economically the attitude/toughness of its people are bound to change. It's only natural.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

There are people who know ****-all about anything apart from what they learned in school,thier idea of a hard day's work is sitting in front of a computer screen all day AND they expect to get paid the earth for doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Its actually 8 facts. The clue is in the link

Thanks for the heads up chief, it was a hastened mistake!:pac:
    Dragan wrote: »
    Personally i think he is spot on. There are kids in college now who don't know what it's like to never have the net, a mobile phone, parents with two cars at their beck and call.

And the amount of sheer pussies knocking about the place is simply sickening.:pac:

There is certainly an attitude among certain young people that they have an "entitlement" to everything being handed to them on a plate.

However on the other hand I don't think anyone, especially Americans, has forgotten about 9/11. It was a strange statement by him to make, I mean what was his basis for saying that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dunno about 9/11 as I'm not a Septic or in the USA.

But on the broader point, he is an "angry/grumpy" old man railing against soft kids. Its the birthright of every person to be considered a youthful waster and to then condemn same once they reach a certain age.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,107 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Its not the kids who are wimps, it's the bloody parents. All sense of adventure has gone out of childhood in case they get a scraped knee and have to call an ambulance, which the parents will probably have to pay for in the near future. Or in case they scrape their knees outside your house and you get sued for ambulance/hospital bills...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Its not the kids who are wimps, it's the bloody parents. All sense of adventure has gone out of childhood in case they get a scraped knee and have to call an ambulance, which the parents will probably have to pay for in the near future. Or in case they scrape their knees outside your house and you get sued for ambulance/hospital bills...
    Indeed.

There some woods right across from my house.
    As kids we would spend entire Summers there builing tree houses, dodgy swings which resulted in several broken bones, jumping down the 50 foot cliff in the middle of the woods, getting caught in traps set up by the older kids, who would then give us a kicking for getting caught. The fun was endless.

These days you have to be careful around kids. If you bump into one, you run the risk of being done for assault.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Every child should buy thier parents "The Dangerous book for Boys"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

julep wrote: »
    Indeed.

There some woods right across from my house.
    As kids we would spend entire Summers there builing tree houses, dodgy swings which resulted in several broken bones, jumping down the 50 foot cliff in the middle of the woods, getting caught in traps set up by the older kids, who would then give us a kicking for getting caught. The fun was endless.

These days you have to be careful around kids. If you bump into one, you run the risk of being done for assault.

+1. I cut my hand on a piece of glass in a friend's house a while back and asked for a plaster (shut up Clint, it's not like you never used a bandage). They said they didn't have any because they never needed them. And they had three kids under 10. When I was that age, I could tell you what I did for the last two weeks by looking at my elbows and knees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think he's talking crap.

Isn't the whole point of the society to try to make sure your kids had it a little easier than your generation.

If so then we achieved that, hurray for us!

I agree with the bloody safety police aspect though. Kids should be allowed scrape their knees. On the other hand sports such as downhill mountain biking and skateboarding have never been more popular. I'm confused :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭SAVE_ME.222

It's easy to lecture people on the harshness of life when you have hundreds of millions of dollars and live in a mansion.

I remember there was a thread on Parenting called "somebody allowed my child to fry".
    This wasnt about some kid getting the elctric chair as a result of a bad defence lawyer,no.
    It concerned a six year old who the parents had sent to some summer camp style thing and it came back with a bit of sunburn.
    the mother concerned was even talking about legal action against the owners of the summer camp.
    Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

It's easy to lecture people on the harshness of life when you have hundreds of millions of dollars and live in a mansion.

Never looked at it that way...hmmm...

Well i'm glad its Clint lecturing for a change and not that soft little runt Bono.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

I've no doubts Clint had a tough upbringing,things would have been much harder when he was a kid.
    I think he's right though, I worry that my kids won't be able to look after themselves when the time comes as they are all mollycoddled by their Mother. They get everything on a plate these days!

grahamo wrote: »
    I've no doubts Clint had a tough upbringing,things would have been much harder when he was a kid.
    I think he's right though, I worry that my kids won't be able to look after themselves when the time comes as they are all mollycoddled by their Mother. They get everything on a plate these days!

Break the plate over their heads. Smash those noggins!

That'll learn them! :P

It should be taken into account that he is taking about american youth.
    They are furthur down the mollycoddle line than us at this point in time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Be careful out there .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

He's living in America for fraks sake!
    He's falling across American teenage twats daily, twats that wouldn't last a week in certain estates around Ireland. They would crap themselves.
    I went to an American school for a year and at least half had their head shrinks on speed dial!
    Clint is right in some aspects. America - Kop the fcuk on!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Degsy wrote: »
    I remember there was a thread on Parenting called "somebody allowed my child to fry".
    This wasnt about some kid getting the elctric chair as a result of a bad defence lawyer,no.
    It concerned a six year old who the parents had sent to some summer camp style thing and it came back with a bit of sunburn.
    the mother concerned was even talking about legal action against the owners of the summer camp.
    Pathetic.
    Screw that.
    She needs to go higher up.

I'm taking legal action against the sun. I have freckles and they may develop into skin cancer because of the actions of sol. I also have contact dermatitis which prevents me from wearing sun tan lotion, so I have no defense against this beast. Apart from staying indoors of course.

Biggins wrote: »
    He's living in America for fraks sake!
    He's falling across American teenage twats daily, twats that wouldn't last a week in certain estates around Ireland. They would crap themselves.
    I went to an American school for a year and at least half had their head shrinks on speed dial!
    Clint is right in some aspects. America - Kop the fcuk on!

We're not far behind to judge by the way some people are speaking like the cast of Laguna Beach or The Hills.
    Yesterday i heard some prat say at the top of his voice "Oh my God,i neeed some sushi!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

wrote:
    "Look how fast—seven years—people have been able to forget 9/11. Maybe you remember if you lost a relative or a loved one. But the public can get pretty blasé about stuff like that. Nobody got blasé about Pearl Harbor."

I don't think anyone will forget about the tragedy of 9/11, Clint Eastwood has lost a few screws, Thinks hes the man with no name again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Alarums

He's got a point to be honest. These days we are living in a prolonged state of adolescence. We play video games into our thirties and forties, many of us live at home way past what would have been normal back in Clints day and many of us have never been in a fight and would not intervene if we saw one. When I watch Saving Private Ryan I think "There is no %&$!ing way I would have gotten off that boat.". In comparison to his generation, I think it's fair to say we are soft men.

Alarums wrote: »
    He's got a point to be honest. These days we are living in a prolonged state of adolescence. We play video games into our thirties and forties, many of us live at home way past what would have been normal back in Clints day and many of us have never been in a fight and would not intervene if we saw one. When I watch Saving Private Ryan I think "There is no %&$!ing way I would have gotten off that boat.". In comparison to his generation, I think it's fair to say we are soft men.

There is nothing different about playing computer games than watching a movie, its just interactive entertainment.

People live at home because its impossible to buy a house. In most cases, it isn't a choice. Look what happened to the people that did take the risk of a mortgage ten times higher than what they earn. Each generation does what they have to in order to survive.

As for intervening in fights or running face first into bullets, I don't think its a bad thing that we are less eager to kill or hurt each other. I'd call that progression.

I think we live in a much greedier world TBH. We don't kill each other, our battlefields are in the business and financial world. I long for the day that crap ends and we actually live in a real society and not just dog eat dog which is where we are at for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Alarums

brim4brim wrote: »
    There is nothing different about playing computer games than watching a movie, its just interactive entertainment.

People live at home because its impossible to buy a house. In most cases, it isn't a choice. Look what happened to the people that did take the risk of a mortgage ten times higher than what they earn. Each generation does what they have to in order to survive.

As for intervening in fights or running face first into bullets, I don't think its a bad thing that we are less eager to kill or hurt each other. I'd call that progression.

I agree with everything you said there. I spent most of yesterday playing Fallout 3. My point is you can see why someone of Clints generation would look at ours and think we are a bunch of pussies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Degsy wrote: »
    There are people who know ****-all about anything apart from what they learned in school,thier idea of a hard day's work is sitting in front of a computer screen all day AND they expect to get paid the earth for doing it.
    Don't you work in a library?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The Israel government has the right idea.
    Stick all teenagers in the army for two years when you finish highschool. Toughens them the frak up - I know they do it for self-defence reasons - but the kids come out the other end with at least tougher, stronger and more mentally able to take on this world of dog eat dog.
    I've worked along side them and I can honestly tell you, they have more kop on and awareness of the real world than the gormless twats found draping themselves daily around our shopping centrers dossing about!

Advertisement