Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish defense force's problem with color blind people

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Duffers

Blank rounds will not be confused with live rounds, as blanks are fired from a different mag, and are crimped.
    As for describing UK Forces personnel as cannon fodder; I have never met a soldier who has held such views of another. I find such views reprehensible.
    People from other countries read this forum, and I hope they do not see people with your views as representative of our country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Duffers wrote: »
    Blank rounds will not be confused with live rounds, as blanks are fired from a different mag, and are crimped.

Really?? I have always used the standard Mags for Blanks.

Also, if you are depending on Colour's to tell the difference between blank and ball ammunition, then you should not be using the weapon.

The mags you will be issued in training for the L85A2 will have a lip that extends upwards from the mag, designed to prevent live rounds being loaded. Always lower the lip when cleaning the mag, it catches a lot of carbon!!!

The mags you will be issued in training for the L85A2 will have a lip that extends upwards from the mag, designed to prevent live rounds being loaded. Always lower the lip when cleaning the mag, it catches a lot of carbon!!!

Oh I forgot you were in training for the Royal's. I was talking about the Steyr!!!

Sorry, I presumed that would be the case with the Steyr also! I will be very interested to hear how you feel the two weapons compare against each other....colour blind or not! I have heard the same thing you mentioned, that the red/green deficiency can make it easier to spot cam, have you noticed that on stalks/obs stances? :confused:

• Advertisement

Sorry, I presumed that would be the case with the Steyr also! I will be very interested to hear how you feel the two weapons compare against each other....colour blind or not! I have heard the same thing you mentioned, that the red/green deficiency can make it easier to spot cam, have you noticed that on stalks/obs stances? :confused:

I've never been on proper stalks and ****e, but yes I can pick out a camoed position fairly well and have to give a full on indication to most other people,

"It's right fcukin there", evidentally is not a proper way to indicate a target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

True enough.

The point stands though; in both the armed forces and in civilian life, there's plenty of colour dependant signals and communication, and in the armed forces, there's just far less margin for error. It doesn't help that the two colours that tend to crop up especially are Red and Green...

That said, I do appreciate why it's frustrating, OP.

Im colourblind and can tell the difference between red and green flags. Anyone who says they cant cos they are colourblind is talking utter bollocks.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

The Defence Forces gets more than enough qualified applicants that are not colourblind, so why should they bother opening this up even further?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Im colourblind and can tell the difference between red and green flags. Anyone who says they cant cos they are colourblind is talking utter bollocks.:mad:

The only person I know with colour problems have problems not with all green and red. But certain shades and hues of red and green. Sometimes similar shades and hues of other colours too, but mainly green and red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

As long as a soldier can see a white flag they should be ok

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fitzyked

BostonB wrote: »
    The only person I know with colour problems have problems not with all green and red. But certain shades and hues of red and green. Sometimes similar shades and hues of other colours too, but mainly green and red.
    thats the problem i have exempt its easy to mix up dark blue and purple or dark purple and black

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

Just build a bridge and GET OVER IT!!, there are good reasons for colour blind tests , as already stated, You don't need a green card to join the US army, they are so hard up for recruits they'll take anyone, they may even promise you a green card after 5 years enlistment , even you, and it should be a bit more exciting than "parading with Dad's army in a car park"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

You do realise that this is a resurrected thread, right?

And by the way, your information is wrong.

NTM

Savage93 wrote: »
    Just build a bridge and GET OVER IT!!, there are good reasons for colour blind tests , as already stated, You don't need a green card to join the US army, they are so hard up for recruits they'll take anyone, they may even promise you a green card after 5 years enlistment , even you, and it should be a bit more exciting than "parading with Dad's army in a car park"

Yes, you do need a green card. They won't help you get one.

There aren't really that good of reasons for it, only for certain trades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Savage93 wrote: »

What good reasons? The brits and yanks don't think much of the rule, as they gladly accept people who can't safely distinguish certain colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 eannamor

I'm sure this has been said before in the thread but it is down to the simple fact that the PDF have never been short on applicants. They can be as select as they want. I would also assume that it has something to do with the claims put in against the army some years ago about hearing loss. The military simply wants to protect itself against any possible litigation by filtering out anyone with the slightest irregularity to their physical condition, so that they cannot be blamed for its presence, occurence or degradation. I am currently awaiting call to medical for general service, and though I am an active member of the reserves I do wonder if I will pass (not implying that being a reservist entitles me to anything, simply that one will be distinctly more rigorous than the other). As such we both may be in the same boat, refused for a tiny detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

eannamor wrote: »
    II am currently awaiting call to medical for general service, and though I am an active member of the reserves I do wonder if I will pass .

My advice for you would be to book a medical with your family G.P. and address any problems you may have coming up to the army medical.. You've only got one go at the medical, and fore warned is fore armed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

BostonB wrote: »
    I know at least one person who can mix them up.

Lets hope they don't have blank and live ammo painted those shades eh? Joking aside I'd say its very rare situation where it would be a problem. You're not likely to go for bomb disposal etc.
    Well, not that you mention it, this comes to mind :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

The ignorance of the condition displayed by some here is apalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 onthefloat123

Is the Ishiara used to determine colurbliness in the medical?

Post edited by onthefloat123 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

"your friend" is an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 onthefloat123

So I assume you’re saying it’s a bad idea? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Advertisement