Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child abuse not in 10 commandments ??

Options
  • 26-01-2009 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

I suddenly realised that priest's that rape children are not breaking the commandments:
    Exodus 20:2–17
    C1}2 I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery;
    C1}3 Do not have any other gods before me.
    C1}4 You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
    C1}5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me,
    C1}6 but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.
    C2}7 You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not acquit anyone who misuses his name.
    C3}8 Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy.
    C3}9 For six days you shall labour and do all your work.
    C3}10 But the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God; you shall not do any work—you, your son or your daughter, your male or female slave, your livestock, or the alien resident in your towns.
    C3}11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but rested the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and consecrated it.
    C4}12 Honor your father and your mother, so that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.
    C5}13 You shall not kill
    C6}14 You shall not commit adultery.
    C7}15 You shall not steal.
    C8}16 You shall not bear false witness against your neighbour.
    C9}17 You shall not covet your neighbour’s house; you shall not covet your neighbour’s wife,C10} or male or female slave, or ox, or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbour.

Now I realise some will say C10 means children along with slaves and shed.
    Covet
    1 : to wish for earnestly <covet an award>
    2 : to desire (what belongs to another) inordinately or culpably
    intransitive verb
    : to feel inordinate desire for what belongs to another
    cov·et (kvt)
    1. To feel blameworthy desire for (that which is another's). See Synonyms at envy.
    2. To wish for longingly. See Synonyms at desire.
    v.intr.
    To feel immoderate desire for that which is another's

Now before someone start Quoting bits of the bible from here and there, these are the LAWS right here from the mouth of GOD (???). These laws say nothing about sexually abusing/raping children, only dont worship statues or desire someones ox, if you do then your children will suffer for four generations:
    So no wonder "some" priests do feel indifferent to common law & real moral views.
    Deliver Us from Evil Part 1
    The Whistleblower Priest

Are children protected by GOD's 10 commandments 4 votes

Yes (God says children are to be loved n' protected)
    0% 0 votes
    No (God says honouring him is more important than children)
    100% 4 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Is the bible not rife with child abuse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Thats just sick :mad:
    I think basic instincts of an adult would not have to be in the ten commandments to protect all children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

shqipshume wrote: »
    Thats just sick :mad:
    I think basic instincts of an adult would not have to be in the ten commandments to protect all children.
    Define "basic instincts".

Rb wrote: »
    Define "basic instincts".
    To see a child and know you should protect them.To feel need to be protector and nurturer.
    I don't know i go with my gut instinct and i would have to protect its human instinct i feel.
    A man or woman who goes out and commits adultery knows its wrong,So therefore make a decision against their gut when they decide to go ahead.
    Pedo's know its wrong and still do it.
    i am getting tired so sorry if i am not making it clear:o

I dont follow bible words i do how i feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

Rb wrote: »
    Is the bible not rife with child abuse?

The God of the bible had no problem sending an angel to kill the innocent firstborn sons of Egypt, I doubt he'd have a problem with child abuse.
    Jehovah wrote:
    I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents

Those priests might have just been doing the Lord's work...

But seriously, the ten commandments are obviously flawed to anyone with a brain as an absolute moral code. Jesus trumped all ten later on with "Thou Shalt Love Thy Neighbor as Thyself". While you can still nitpick this line it's nearly spot on as a code of behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

OP, just because something is not in the 10 commandments, doesn't mean anything. Religions do not hold a monopoly on morality. IMO people have a certain degree of morality built into them-like the Golden Rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

people have a certain degree of morality built into them

Except some priests...

sionnach wrote: »
    Except some priests...

edit sorry didnt see some lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭mickeydevine

Are you Fritzl's lawyer or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭sukikettle

What ignorance I see before me. Girls were given in marriage at the onset of puberty. And yes it is written in the bible under the law of God it is forbidden to have sexual relations with various family members and there were consequences...you need to read the full story of Moses before you make a comment such as the above

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

The Ten Commandments are not the only commandments binding on Christians, the Moral Torah in it's entirety is, and the laws of the Prophets, and the Laws of Jesus and the Apostles. Child abuse would definitely fall as a violation to laws such as "Love your neighbour as yourself", and "Do unto others as you would have done onto you", as well as regulations in the book of Ephesians for how one should deal with their children. Considering that any sexual relations outside of marriage is deemed an act of fornication, this would also give credence to child abuse also being forbidden.

sionnach wrote: »
    Except some priests...

I meant to say "most people". There are certain people, due to their environmen or genes or both, that are going to be the exception.

And you may wish to add "some people" to your above quotation-"some priests" do not have a monopoly on paedophilia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭sukikettle

I'd recommend in two thousand years if we all survive...we who live in the noughties will have little to brag about without slinging mud at those who lived another two thousand years ago. We're a right Sodom and Gomorrah bunch and look how they ended up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

OP, just because something is not in the 10 commandments, doesn't mean anything. Religions do not hold a monopoly on morality. IMO people have a certain degree of morality built into them-like the Golden Rule.

Nor do the 10 commandments claim to encompass all the moral guidelines for Christians, or even for Jews.

The OP is a classic piece of muppetry that takes a little slice of the Old Testament Jewish law and then somehow tries to apply that to Catholic priests as if it were the only moral code that applies to them. Such a ham-fisted and ineffectual attempt to construct an argument against religion must have an intelligent atheist like Bertrand Russell spinning in his godless grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

The poll seems loaded, going just by whats in the brackets I would pick both.

God says children are to be loved n' protected

AND

God says honouring him is more important than children.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

PDN wrote: »
    The OP is a classic piece of muppetry that takes a little slice of the Old Testament Jewish law and then somehow tries to apply that to Catholic priests as if it were the only moral code that applies to them. Such a ham-fisted and ineffectual attempt to construct an argument against religion must have an intelligent atheist like Bertrand Russell spinning in his godless grave.
    I am inexorably compelled to agree with PDN.

I considered closing this thread on the basis of it's FAIL quotient, but sure now it's in play we might as well leave it as an example. Unless you guys want it in Christianity? ;)

I have to say, for once, I agree with PDN. It's a very weak argument with no grounding at all. The 10 commandments aren't the only Christian laws to abide by.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Dades wrote: »
    I am inexorably compelled to agree with PDN.

I considered closing this thread on the basis of it's FAIL quotient, but sure now it's in play we might as well leave it as an example. Unless you guys want it in Christianity? ;)

No, no! This thread will get mod-sticked from behind and buried in a shallow virtual grave if it comes crashing into the Christianity forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Dades wrote: »

Throw him to the lions centurion...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Thwow him wuffly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

yef! stwike him to the flaw!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I'm quite amused that now about half this thread is discussing whether this thread is going enough to leave open...

Before you tie a knot in this thread, can I use it to afix a button to my shirt?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Before you tie a knot in this thread, can I use it to afix a button to my shirt?

It's posts like this that make me wish there was a 'Huh?' button next to the 'Thanks' button...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

These are the types of threads that give atheism a bad name ... we should vote whether or not to send him to the gulags .. ahem ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

certainly nought to do with atheism

• Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

One important point that I think is being missed here: the Commandments were a reflection of their time and circumstances, not some kind of universal law. You have a leader of a tribe who's struggling to keep control, so he has to put a divine "spin" on the rules he wants people to follow. Perfectly logical: "you won't listen to me, so now 'God' is laying down the law". Off up the misty mountain goes Moses, to come back down with a couple of tablets with laws carved on them. Who did that? "'God' did it."

If I lay it out like that, it reads like something out of The Lord Of The Rings - or vice versa? Tolkien was very well-acquainted with the Bible, though he didn't take it as seriously as his colleague C.S. Lewis did. :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

bnt wrote: »
    One important point that I think is being missed here: the Commandments were a reflection of their time and circumstances, not some kind of universal law.

Christians would assert that they are an integral part of the universal law of mankind.
    You have a leader of a tribe who's struggling to keep control, so he has to put a divine "spin" on the rules he wants people to follow. Perfectly logical: "you won't listen to me, so now 'God' is laying down the law". Off up the misty mountain goes Moses, to come back down with a couple of tablets with laws carved on them. Who did that? "'God' did it."

What are you basing this view of the revelation of the Torah from? Speculation? If so I think if one was to refute the divine based on the teachings of Moses one would have to provide more than mere speculation.
    If I lay it out like that, it reads like something out of The Lord Of The Rings - or vice versa? Tolkien was very well-acquainted with the Bible, though he didn't take it as seriously as his colleague C.S. Lewis did. :rolleyes:

Tolkien was actually a key player in bringing the former atheist Lewis to the Christian faith in his 30's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

One important point that I think is being missed here: the Commandments were a reflection of their time and circumstances, not some kind of universal law.

That isn't really the point that is being missed, the point that is being missed is that the Ten Commandments were not the be all and end all of Jewish law. In fact there were whole books of the Old Testament giving over to Jewish law, chapters and chapters of the stuff.

Now these laws were nonsense, and by modern standards rather barbaric, and the idea that they came from a super powerful deity rather than simply tribal elders, stretches plausibility to the point ridiculousness.

But there is little point in someone attacking a religion for something it doesn't actually teach. The fact that the Ten Commandments doesn't mention child abuse doesn't mean anything because lots of things were not mentioned in the Ten Commandments that were outlawed or regulated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

sukikettle wrote: »
    I'd recommend in two thousand years if we all survive...we who live in the noughties will have little to brag about without slinging mud at those who lived another two thousand years ago. We're a right Sodom and Gomorrah bunch and look how they ended up
    Well no Sodom and Gomorrah is a load of bull**** because it questions the whole "loving and kind benevolent God" who is in fact more like a sexed up Hitler tbh and most of us have the ability to think for ourselves about morality at least we don't need to derive it from some messed up book thank you very much but please I don't wish to be insulted missus! :rolleyes:

Advertisement