Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to fix The Recession

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

I'm in favour of investing in infrastructure. How many construction workers have we got on the dole? Could have them building for our future rather than creating a burden on our finances. Anyway, we're still way behind europe when it comes to the standard of our transport system. So any improvements will boost our economy and help attract investors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

If it was 2006, it could have been done wih a roundhouse kick.:(
    We could always just elect Chuck Norris next time round. It'll all be ok if chuck is in charge!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,027 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ireland is small.

For context, Exxon Mobil has a market capitalisation of about $400bn, which is about ten times the size of the government budget.

So auction off the entire State. Not just govt and the public sector. Ireland as a whole. Position it as a vanity purchase for some middle eastern sovereign wealth fund. Maybe rebrand it "Abu Eire" or something.

There is still loads of money in the world, it's just not here.

/stupid idea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Censor all media who are scaring the **** out of everyone causing them
    to stop spending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭freire

Shiny wrote: »
    to stop spending.

Back again to 'spend what?' - a large part of the problem is that people were spending money they didn't have in the first place. Now you want them to spend money that they know they don't have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

phasers wrote: »
    Put a big hoover in the Dáil and suck up all their money.

Obviously this wouldn't exactly be legal since the TDs wouldn't agree to it, so we'd get Batman to do it. He's on honest guy, he'd use the money to buy all the banks and sort them out. Then he'd commission a giant statue in his honour and construction jobs would be created.

No need to thank me folks.
    Has anyone tried turning the economy off and back on again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Daddio wrote: »
    Do we get to "boot" the crap in the Dail too? I'm all for it.

Yeah, and maybe give it a bit of a kick, that might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Funniest post of the day. End of.

But, we can't have our Gov't building for the future, thats someone elses job.

Cue Homer Simpson music "Can't someone else do it?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

freire wrote: »
    Back again to 'spend what?' - a large part of the problem is that people were spending money they didn't have in the first place. Now you want them to spend money that they know they don't have?

What about those who are currently employed?

They have money(once the bills have been paid), but they aren't spending it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

With the sterling work done by FAS in establishing trade links with NASA, where are all our trained rocket scientists and astronauts?

We need to get this people back to Ireland to foster our space race program.

I propose that by the end of the decade, Ireland should have an Irish pub on Mars. Next send up FF councillors to man the pub, you will have every developer from the solar system with brown envelopes trying to colonize the planet.
    This will lead to very big contracts for all FF's buddies and get everyone back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

spadder wrote: »
    With the sterling work done by FAS in establishing trade links with NASA, where are all our trained rocket scientists and astronauts?

We need to get this people back to Ireland to foster our space race program.

I propose that by the end of the decade, Ireland should have an Irish pub on Mars. Next send up FF councillors to man the pub, you will have every developer from the solar system with brown envelopes trying to colonize the planet.
    This will lead to very big contracts for all FF's buddies and get everyone back to work.

There's a major cost factor involved if FF are in power regarding the space race, the Luas scheme had approx the same budget as the mars explorer, the mars explorer came in on budget and on time, the Luas was extremely late, vastly over budget and didn't even link up. I would be fearful what would happen to our space exploration bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Regarding our space bid, i'm claiming the managers job, ok, i have zero experience and even less ability to make it work in any way, and am guarenteed to give way overestimated sub contracts to my friends. When the public finally finds out i ****ed it up, i'll retire with a 300,000 euro golden handshake and a 75,000 euro pension, just like all the other useless cnts running this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Stuff the EU and their farcical rules.

Bring back "Guaranteed Irish" stickers on products!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Hmm.... I think we should install Linux. It'll take a while to get it working properly and it may not be compatible with some parts. But think of it like this, in the end it's free and will use up a lot less resources. :pac:

Dord wrote: »
    Hmm.... I think we should install Linux. It'll take a while to get it working properly and it may not be compatible with some parts. But think of it like this, in the end it's free and will use up a lot less resources. :pac:
    Even the MS-DOS days of Haughey seem like a best case scenario at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

A few empty egg cartons and some sticky back plastic should work wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Shiny wrote: »
    to stop spending.

That's what Vladimir Putin does, we live in a democracy and I would like to keep it that way, regardless of our economic status.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Post of the recession!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Blush_01 wrote: »
    A few empty egg cartons and some sticky back plastic should work wonders.

Maybe we could get MacGyver to help! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Can't someone else do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭themilkyone

spend your way out of it. thats what Obama said and he's doing pretty well for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

galwayrush wrote: »
    It can't be fixed, we just gotta get away from it.;)

eh have you not noticed?! you cannot get AWAY from it! were in a GLOBAL credit crunch! wayhey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

eh have you not noticed?! you cannot get AWAY from it! were in a GLOBAL credit crunch! wayhey!

I hear the economic climate is pretttty good in Mars.

Advertisement