Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl in South Korea

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

chris6 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Moving to Seoul in 3 weeks and I'm looking into mobile phones at the minute. The Arrival Store keep contacting me in relation to their offers but I want to see if there are any better options out there? Looking at getting a smart phone and will be there fore 12 months.

If you are looking to get a smart phone you will be looking at a 24 month contract. My contract is 300 mins 200texts and unlimited data I pay 70,000 won per month and that includes the tarriff and the phone itself (galaxy SII)

I have heard that you can get your phone unlocked here (there is a difference between Korean phones and rest of the world phones somehow) and get minutes and texts and use wifi from wifi spots but you can't use 3g. I don't know exactly how it works but there is a deal like that going.
    Andy!! wrote: »
    For the waygookin already over there, if a recruiter asks for scans of documents like a passport, is it pretty safe to do so? Would be wary just handing out that info. Anyone here particularly knowledgeable on different recruiters/schools? Just wanna check out who is making me offers.

Go for it. The recruiter wants to know what you have so he/she can give you more options. I did that with ATC and I had a load of job offers within the next week!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Thanks. Went ahead and sent on my documents. Also applied to ATC, hadn't heard of them before. I'm sure they have been mentioned a hundred times in this thread already but the amount of information overloads my brain hah. Any other websites people recommend I apply through? I'm looking to go to Busan, so that narrows down my options considerably, so need to be applying for as many jobs as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 bizzleodrizzle

cloneslad wrote: »
    Busan is full of Irish people, those telling you that it's not possible to get a job there are just trying to get you to go places they find hard to fill, as they know they can fill Busan positions easily.

Look for jobs that aren't using recruiters, or that are using decent ones (if they exist)

I was thinking they are trying to push the jobs in strange places on us alright just to get them filled!

Any advice on how to go about searching for jobs that arent using recruiters?

Cheers

Squeekyduck, just root your s2 and then unlock it from the android market.. Really easy.

Squeekyduck, just root your s2 and then unlock it from the android market.. Really easy.

hmmmm...thanks for that! I'll have two smart phones when ever I go home now! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 seamie89

Hey you got lucky! :D might try that approach.

For the waygookin already over there, if a recruiter asks for scans of documents like a passport, is it pretty safe to do so? Would be wary just handing out that info. Anyone here particularly knowledgeable on different recruiters/schools? Just wanna check out who is making me offers.

i recommend you send all the necessary documents once they ask for them (when you are happy with the offer) because some recruiters may not process your details until they receive all your information. Also i went straight through EPIK and did not use a recruiter so i have no experience with recruiters..

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Galwayj

Well feck YBM Education . They offered me a job in Dongdaemun ECC prob 2 week ago over the phone . And they said they would email me the contract . when i emailed them after 2 weeks asking where was the contract , they replied by saying we are waiting for schools to get in touch with us . I replied by asking what happened to the job they offered me over the phone , i got no reply . Urggh.... very annoying

Ah sorry to hear that :/ Must be really disheartening to think you're headed off finally only for it to fall through.

I'm still applying for places myself. I've yet to see an ad ask for my documents to be apostilled AND notarised so I think I'll just leave them apostilled (had a feeling they were similar anyway).

Once I have all my documents, do I need to go to the Korean embassy here and apply for a visa, or do I just take them with me to Korea and a visa is arranged then? If I have to arrange it here, should I have a job offer before applying for a visa? How long will it take?

Once I have all my documents, do I need to go to the Korean embassy here and apply for a visa, or do I just take them with me to Korea and a visa is arranged then? If I have to arrange it here, should I have a job offer before applying for a visa? How long will it take?

When you have all your documents you'll have to send them to your recruiter. When they see that they have every thing and it's all in order they will send you a visa number. Then you have to go to the Korean embassy with a fee (I think it was 40e) and I think I brought passport photos. You have to fill out a form and leave your passport with the embassy for a few days and collect it later.

I gave my passport in on a monday and I collected it on the Wednesday and flew on the Thursday!

Will they accept scans of the documents or will I have to post?

• Advertisement

When the time comes you will have to send your documents. No scans. All original documents. (and photocopied BA/MA degree cert Apostilled and notarised)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Ah sorry to hear that :/ Must be really disheartening to think you're headed off finally only for it to fall through.

I'm still applying for places myself. I've yet to see an ad ask for my documents to be apostilled AND notarised so I think I'll just leave them apostilled (had a feeling they were similar anyway).

your degree copy must be notarized by a commissioner of oaths, then apostilled by the dept of foreign affairs. Your police check must be apostilled by the dept of foreign affairs, it doesn't need to be notarized because it has been signed by the superintendent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 seamie89

Once it is time to send your documents to Korea, send them all together by registered post in order for you to have a tracking number on the package. Send the originals of all documents except your degree which is a photocopy of the original (notarised and apostilled)

All my documents were held back in the process with EPIK for over 2 weeks as one of my references was not ink signed and dated by my previous employer! I and i had to wait to receive a new reference letter and then post that off to EPIK in order for my documents to go through the process.

seamie89 wrote: »
    All my documents were held back in the process with EPIK for over 2 weeks as one of my references was not ink signed and dated by my previous employer! I and i had to wait to receive a new reference letter and then post that off to EPIK in order for my documents to go through the process.

Ah for gods sake. Guess I won't be bothering with EPIK! In any job descriptions I've read they only state apostilled, but I get the feeling they are being overly casual about it and the experiences you guys have had are a bit closer to the mark.:pac: Better get it notarised then. It's already apostilled though, is order an issue? Would help if I understood what these things actually meant hah. :D

What's the situation with looking to leave in the next month or before? When are busier times for hiring new teachers?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Galwayj

Got a offer of a job in Changwon with Avalon . Anyone know anything about them ?

I've just been told by a recruiter that the government changed the rules this year and now require their own original copies of criminal background checks and degrees, which they will keep! Anyone know about this? That would be another 40 for apostilles, and god knows how much for another copy of my degree, over a hundred at least! Never mind the extra wait... damn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I've just been told by a recruiter that the government changed the rules this year and now require their own original copies of criminal background checks and degrees, which they will keep! Anyone know about this? That would be another 40 for apostilles, and god knows how much for another copy of my degree, over a hundred at least! Never mind the extra wait... damn.

How do you mean another 100? You just need to photocopy it (50c) , then get it notarised by a commissioner of oaths (most solicitors are COA's, 10 euro) then get it apostilled by the Department of Foreign Affairs (20 euro). So that's 30 euro.

Also, when I came to Korea, as far as I remember, I sent my docs to the recruiter, they sent them on to immigration. Are you sure you understood your recruiter?

Ah for gods sake. Guess I won't be bothering with EPIK! In any job descriptions I've read they only state apostilled, but I get the feeling they are being overly casual about it and the experiences you guys have had are a bit closer to the mark.:pac: Better get it notarised then. It's already apostilled though, is order an issue? Would help if I understood what these things actually meant hah. :D

What's the situation with looking to leave in the next month or before? When are busier times for hiring new teachers?

What's already apostilled? YOu can't get something apostilled before getting it notarised as far as I know (except the Garda clearance which doesn't need to be notarised as it's signed by the Gardai and the DFA know it's original and authentic).

kraggy wrote: »
    How do you mean another 100? You just need to photocopy it (50c)

They say they want a set of originals for themselves.

What's already apostilled? YOu can't get something apostilled before getting it notarised as far as I know (except the Garda clearance which doesn't need to be notarised as it's signed by the Gardai and the DFA know it's original and authentic).

The clearance is apostilled, and so is the degree. The degree has not been notarised. I've talked to several recruiters, they all ask for the apostille, but none have mentioned notarisation. Maybe it's because as you say its a given because it should be done first?

Just to be clear, what exactly did you get apostilled? The original degree or a copy of it?

• Advertisement

Andy, are you just taking the pi$$?

Just to be clear, what exactly did you get apostilled? The original degree or a copy of it?

Original. On the back.

Andy, are you just taking the pi$$?

Care to elaborate?

Original. On the back.

Care to elaborate?

Yes, I've never known somebody to get so many things so wrong in all my life.

You ask for answers, you get them, you do something else, then you ask if it's still okay.

Then

You ask for more help to remedy the mistakes you've just made, and when you get that, you say it's not what you wanted to hear, so you do something else.

http://teachenglishinkorea.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23&Itemid=27

Read that, do what it says. You can even scroll down for the extra information relevant for Irish people.

If you do that, you'll have no problems.

You ask for answers, you get them, you do something else, then you ask if it's still okay.

Pure fiction. I followed everyone's advice, the only thing I got wrong was the order in which to get the notarisation and apostille on the degree. If you're going to make BS claims, find the post that explicitly notes that there is an order that I have to get them in (before I realised my error). From what I read it just seemed I had to get both, and there wasn't a specific order. I asked for an explanation about what the two processes were, fair enough, people don't know. Maybe if someone had, I would have realised that one had to be done before the other. Not that I'm complaining, most people have been quite helpful in this thread, and made things easier by giving out advice. That link you provided clears some things up, but it's the first I've seen of it.
    Yes, I've never known somebody to get so many things so wrong in all my life.

Really? Over-exaggeration of the century much?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭inverted_world

Pure fiction. I followed everyone's advice, the only thing I got wrong was the order in which to get the notarisation and apostille on the degree. If you're going to make BS claims, find the post that explicitly notes that there is an order that I have to get them in (before I realised my error). From what I read it just seemed I had to get both, and there wasn't a specific order. I asked for an explanation about what the two processes were, fair enough, people don't know. Maybe if someone had, I would have realised that one had to be done before the other. Not that I'm complaining, most people have been quite helpful in this thread, and made things easier by giving out advice. That link you provided clears some things up, but it's the first I've seen of it.

Really? Over-exaggeration of the century much?:pac:

I don't think Cloneslad is referring to the fact that your degree isn't notarised. It's that you used your original degree.

You don't need to use your original degree.

You should use a copy.

That's why it needs to be notarized. It verifies it as a true copy.

You should not use your original degree. You won't get it back once you send it to Korea.

The Department of Foreign Affairs won't put an apostille on a copy without a notary's stamp. So once you get a copy, you should FIRST bring it to a Notary Public and THEN get it apostilled.
    Your garda check doesn't need to be notarised because it is the original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

:D:D Who sent their original degree to Korea?

...never mind now I see. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

I don't think Cloneslad is referring to the fact that your degree isn't notarised. It's that you used your original degree.

You don't need to use your original degree.

You should use a copy.

That's why it needs to be notarized. It verifies it as a true copy.

You should not use your original degree. You won't get it back once you send it to Korea.

The Department of Foreign Affairs won't put an apostille on a copy without a notary's stamp. So once you get a copy, you should FIRST bring it to a Notary Public and THEN get it apostilled.
    Your garda check doesn't need to be notarised because it is the original.

I remember being told pretty much the same as the other lad though, it MUST be your original degree or pay for another copy of your degree from the college.

In the end the school were so desperate to get someone in, I think I got away with "bring it to the consulate" when you get here, which I never bothered doing...

:D:D Who sent their original degree to Korea?

...never mind now I see. :pac:

No one thankfully :pac: And I would never post my original anywhere lol. I was told that I did have to bring my original to Korea though, thats why I assumed that the apostille goes on the original. After all, this is the case with the criminal background check, correct? I, like Toilet, was under the impression that the original needed to be apostilled/notarised. Maybe someone here specified that a photocopy was required, but I never saw it. Plus, I've shown dozens of recruiters a scan of my original degree apostilled and they didn't say anything.

Anyways, currently having more trouble finding a position to be honest. Started looking in Seoul after peoples recommendations here but it's hard to get an offer. There's tons of jobs going, but unfortunately what seems to be hundreds of applicants! Will keep looking though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

My apologies if my query has been addressed earlier in this thread, but I do not have the time to go through all 196 pages to check!

Myself and my girlfriend are exploring the possibility of going to South Korea for a year to teach English. For obvious reasons the employers that provide you with accommodation appeal to me, but we want to live together. What options do we have available to us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Soldie wrote: »
    My apologies if my query has been addressed earlier in this thread, but I do not have the time to go through all 196 pages to check!

Myself and my girlfriend are exploring the possibility of going to South Korea for a year to teach English. For obvious reasons the employers that provide you with accommodation appeal to me, but we want to live together. What options do we have available to us?

You'll probably have to get private jobs. So just apply to the recruiter as a couple and wait. It might take a bit longer but there are plenty of schools that hire couples and give you one apartment.

Advertisement