Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl in South Korea

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

After reading your post, I went into citizens information to ask. They've never heard of such a thing. Anyone else on here know otherwise, or what kind of document would substitute?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Hey guys,

I think this may have been asked before, but I can't find the answer anywhere. My co-teacher is asking me for a Certificate of Residence from Ireland so I won't have to pay tax here.

I have no idea what it is or how I could get one. Does anyone know about this? Has anyone else needed one or managed to get one?

Thanks!

When i lived in Argentina you could go to the police and they would call out to your house and fill out a form confirming that you lived there so if you were applying for stuff it was confirmation of your address like how we would have esb bills, driving licence etc.

I would love to find out if there is such a thing though here in Ireland........

When i lived in Argentina you could go to the police and they would call out to your house and fill out a form confirming that you lived there so if you were applying for stuff it was confirmation of your address like how we would have esb bills, driving licence etc.

I would love to find out if there is such a thing though here in Ireland........

Apparently not... I asked the guy at citizens information, and his remark was, 'we are not that sort of country' :pac: lol whatever that meant.

Also... what should the reference letters read like? I have one already from a company I used to work at, but it reccomends me at that particular job, I guess it says I'm a good worker generally... I was wondering if this would be ok?

Also, I'm finding the won to euro conversion difficult to get my head around. Is 10,000 won basically around €10?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 PrincessPeach

Hey guys,

I think this may have been asked before, but I can't find the answer anywhere. My co-teacher is asking me for a Certificate of Residence from Ireland so I won't have to pay tax here.

I have no idea what it is or how I could get one. Does anyone know about this? Has anyone else needed one or managed to get one?

Thanks!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but from what I've been told Ireland doesn't have a fiscal agreement with South Korea. Every other citizen of a native English speaking country gets at least some amount of their tax/pension back, but not the Irish. Typical, eh?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Andy!! wrote: »
    Also... what should the reference letters read like? I have one already from a company I used to work at, but it reccomends me at that particular job, I guess it says I'm a good worker generally... I was wondering if this would be ok?

When I got my reference letters I was looking for a job with EPIK if you go on the epik site epik.go.kr there is a layout that they want you to follow. I used these letters for hagwon jobs too, make sure you get a few copies so you can open one and scan it if needed.
    Also, I'm finding the won to euro conversion difficult to get my head around. Is 10,000 won basically around €10?

1000 won is roughly about 65c so 10000 won would be about 6.50 :)

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=Andy!!;7787420

1000 won is roughly about 65c so 10000 won would be about 6.50 :)

Ah here that's gonna blow my mind lol! Thanks for the replies. I'll have a look at epiks format for references.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Muinteor

Definitely apply for EPIK/TALK programmes over Hagwons

Muinteor wrote: »

Why? Aren't Hagwons recommended for people starting out? I've heard people say a good hagwon is better than a public school, whats your experience? Also, public schools are kind of done hiring for now, correct?

Sent off for my garda certificate of character today, here's hoping it gets back quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭roosh

Hey guys,

Thanks!
    MY CT asked for the same. One of the teachers that was here before got a letter from the revenue commissioners saying that he was a tax paying resident between certain dates, but wasn't sufficient for avoiding tax.

I think they want one saying that you are a resident, as opposed to that you were a resident. I got one from a solicitor bcos the Scottish teacher that I replaced got a similar one.

no idea if it will work, but had to get one just to get the CT off my back.

Why? Aren't Hagwons recommended for people starting out? I've heard people say a good hagwon is better than a public school, whats your experience?
    Muinteor wrote: »

I applied for both. I was rejected by EPIK so I got a hagwon. It's good to spread your options.

Public school has nicer hours and a decent amount of holidays, my friends who work public all say that your co teacher makes or breaks your time there. If you have a good one great....if you have a bad one or someone that you don't get on with it will be a little bit more difficult. Also with public schools you may be the only foreign teacher there!

Hagwon has its pros and cons. Longer working hours, 10 days holidays and the potential prospect of closing down with no decent amount of warning time. You will have other foreign teachers (I work with 3 other Irish, a kiwi and an American) which is great. I work in a hagwon, I've heard other people bitching about their jobs but I've really lucked out on my job. They treat me great, my school is closing down in May and they even went out of their way to find me a new job! :)

• Advertisement

Thanks duck :) Can I come work in your hagwon? ;)
    roosh wrote: »
    MY CT asked for the same. One of the teachers that was here before got a letter from the revenue commissioners saying that he was a tax paying resident between certain dates, but wasn't sufficient for avoiding tax.

I think they want one saying that you are a resident, as opposed to that you were a resident. I got one from a solicitor bcos the Scottish teacher that I replaced got a similar one.

no idea if it will work, but had to get one just to get the CT off my back.

What's a CT? What would I need to give to a solicitor so they could write that I've lived here since the early 90's? Is there somewhere else I can get a letter like this? Hmm. Want to get as many documents like this sorted, just to be safe, don't want to be tearing my hair out over there trying to sort out letters.

Does anyone know of a good expat korean website with a forum?

I have an android app for learning my numbers. What is the difference between Native Korean numbers (hana, dul, set) and Sino-korean numbers? (il, ee sahm)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

CT=Co-teacher.
    I have a superb co-teacher for 14 classes a week and an absolute wench of a co-teacher for 6 classes. I absolutely dread teaching with he. Also as far as I know, 90% of the time there is only one native teacher per school.

http://www.eslcafe.com/
    http://www.waygook.org/
    Not exactly a forum but good information here
    http://www.korea4expats.com/

Also, I use waygook regularly and haven't used eslcafe in awhile so i'm not sure how decent it is.

Oh the numbers issue, such a pain in the arse.
    For money, phone numbers, counting, bus numbers, etc use il, eee, sam.
    oh yeah when telling the time the minute part
    For books, tickets, pieces, people, trees, birds, etc use hana, dul, set
    and oh yeah when telling the time the hour part

hyperbaby wrote: »
    Oh the numbers issue, such a pain in the arse.
    For money, phone numbers, counting, bus numbers, etc use il, eee, sam.
    oh yeah when telling the time the minute part
    For books, tickets, pieces, people, trees, birds, etc use hana, dul, set
    and oh yeah when telling the time the hour part

LOL Oh god :D

They are taking the mick with both number systems needed for telling the time! :pac: That's just trolling foreigners!

EDIT: Thanks for those links!

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone knows anything about Ulsan?

A friend of mine has been offered a public school job there, in August, and he was wondering what the place is like? Anyone know is it a good city?

Is it located near Busan, did I hear?

Any and all info. would be gratefully received.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

LOL Oh god :D

They are taking the mick with both number systems needed for telling the time! :pac: That's just trolling foreigners!

EDIT: Thanks for those links!

It's tres confusing.

for example:
    2:15 = 두시 십오분 du shi shep o poon, which is basically 2 hours 10 5 minutes.
    I think that is correct anyway.

Random question for the ladies: :o

Can you get Max Factor in Korea?
    In particular this: http://www.maxfactor.co.uk/uk/products/Face/Foundations/Facefinity/shade.aspx

If not, what's the make-up situation like? I'm super pale and when I lived in Argentina I couldn't get ANYTHING to suit me cause it was all the darker, tanned shades.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PES4

Cheers to Cloneslad and SpatialPlanning for the earlier advice in this thread.

As suggested I was upfront and honest about my situation and was allowed to delay my start date. I leave on Wednesday to begin teaching in a public school (got lucky) in Gimhae. Cheers for the info guys, this is a really great thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

Random question for the ladies: :o

Can you get Max Factor in Korea?
    In particular this: http://www.maxfactor.co.uk/uk/products/Face/Foundations/Facefinity/shade.aspx

If not, what's the make-up situation like? I'm super pale and when I lived in Argentina I couldn't get ANYTHING to suit me cause it was all the darker, tanned shades.

You can definitely get Max Factor products easily in Korea.

I'm not sure about your particular foundation shade though. Like yourself, I'm super pale. I use Bourjois though, which isn't common in Korea, so I brought my own year's supply.

Having said that, if you are ever stuck, you can go to Lotte Department Store and they should definitely have it there. It's a massive place with every make-up product under the sun. They even had my Ivory Bourjois shade, but everything is way over-priced in there.

Bottom line, to be safe, I'd bring over a few bottles of your foundation and get the rest of your make-up products over there.

I've read on here that Emirates is probably the best choice to fly with... is this still the case? I'd be looking at going mid summer which isn't going to help finding a cheap ticket, but currently I'm getting quoted prices from Dublin to Incheon for around 860. Not half bad considering I would be going half-way around the world, but still I'm looking around for the best deal. Anyone know of a site/airline where I could find a slightly better deal? What factors might affect the price going down on some days?

I'm operating on the assumption that I very much doubt a hagwon/public school is going to pay my airfair, correct? :pac:

Would people reccomend I find a job before going over there? Or do I need to have one to get an E2 or other working visa? I would love to have about a week to enjoy the country before starting working.

I'm operating on the assumption that I very much doubt a hagwon/public school is going to pay my airfair, correct? :pac:

Would people reccomend I find a job before going over there? Or do I need to have one to get an E2 or other working visa? I would love to have about a week to enjoy the country before starting working.

I think you pretty much have to get a job first if you haven't been over before because of the E2 rules. But they seem to change all the time! some one on here probably knows better than me.

Private school should pay for your airfare. I had a few recruiters tell me that they don't prepay nowadays especially from Ireland but I said it was non-negotiable for me and I'm flying out next week: recruiter/school sorted and paid for everything!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭inverted_world

Thanks, everyone!

I suspected that Ireland didn't have such a thing. I don't mind having to pay tax (though I have 28 teaching hours per week, so I suspect I'll be hit with a hefty bill!), but I got the impression that it would be more convenient for the school if they didn't have to deal with that.

I know another Irish teacher here, and she hadn't a clue what I was on about either. That was sufficient information for my co-teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭inverted_world

I've read on here that Emirates is probably the best choice to fly with... is this still the case? I'd be looking at going mid summer which isn't going to help finding a cheap ticket, but currently I'm getting quoted prices from Dublin to Incheon for around 860. Not half bad considering I would be going half-way around the world, but still I'm looking around for the best deal. Anyone know of a site/airline where I could find a slightly better deal? What factors might affect the price going down on some days?

I ended up flying with Lufthansa.

The price for Emirates shot up to 1300 by the time my visa number was ready, but Lufthansa stayed around 860. They allow you to book an extra 23kg suitcase for only 60 euro, so I was able to bring 46kg plus 8kg carry on plus a laptop.

I think a lot of schools expect you to pay for your flight, and they reimburse you after you arrive. I'm pretty sure that all public schools expect this.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

I flew to Korea with Etihad and found them great. I flew home with Emirates. I actually preferred Etihad (yummy food, nicer aircraft, really nice attendants), but Emirates has the 30kg luggage allowance which is sweet and excellent in-flight movies etc.

I've always booked flights through the Expedia.co.uk website, but I've read on this forum (I think) that if you go through the American site, you can get it cheaper. Not sure on that though.

A lot of public schools and hagwons seem to pay the flights in advance, but that's not always the case. I've worked with two different hagwons. In both cases I had to pay the flights upfront, but was re-imbursed a day or two after arrival. So I wouldn't necessarily see it as a red flag that your school isn't paying upfront. Just make sure you talk to a current teacher and see how promptly they were refunded their ticket.

Also, as a first-timer, I would definitely recommend having your school sorted out prior to going over.

Etihad are decent as well, and were cheaper than Emirates when I was looking. My mother flew return with Lufthansa for around the same price as I flew one way with Etihad, but she flew in January, whereas I flew in October. It might just depend on each particular airline at any given time.

skyscanner.net and expedia.com are worth checking out.

whoever you're flying with, it might be worth registering with their loyalty programme before flying (or perhaps booking) because you will probably get an increased luggage allowance. I got an extra 5kg, or something like that, with Etihad.

BB cream is sent from the gods. I stopped using my revlon because of it! It's cheap like 15k in etude house but all the makeup stores sell their own ones. When you buy in the stores they usually give you samples of the different types of makeup! :)

Wow, thanks for all the information guys! I had no idea that paying for the flight was so commonplace, that's great to hear. :D I don't mind paying if they will pay me back later. If they offer to pay upfront, who arranges the flight?

I've been reading up on other aspects while I wait for documentation to come back etc. I think I'm going to go with KBE bank once I'm over there, they seem to be alright and pretty foreigner friendly. Not sure on the phone front yet. What network do you guys use? Is the system over there more like the american one (i.e. mostly bill pay and not as much value?) I'm hoping my Sony Xperia works over there, it's only a year old, it's just down to bandwidths and radio signals that I have yet to check. Still have to get it unlocked anyways.

Thanks again for all the advice. I really should sit down properly one day are read all 190 pages of this thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭HenryChinaski

Anyone know if the medical examination currently includes testing for weed? I smoked right up to my departure last year and had no issues but now I'm having trouble finding a definitive answer on the cannibinoid test. Some people are saying yes, they are testing, others are saying don't worry about it. I have six weeks 'til my new contract starts, less than three until I go back to Korea. I'm ust trying to weigh up my options regarding whether I could get away with a few wee puffs over the next week or two??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I was able to bring 46kg plus 8kg carry on plus a laptop.

You brought almost as much as I weigh!!

I've always booked flights through the Expedia.co.uk website, but I've read on this forum (I think) that if you go through the American site, you can get it cheaper. Not sure on that though.

I got a flight from Seoul to Tokyo, stayed 5 days there and then a flight from there to Dublin, via London.

This cost $600 on expedia USA, as opposed to €1350 as quoted on the expedia Ireland site.

Anyone know if the medical examination currently includes testing for weed? I smoked right up to my departure last year and had no issues but now I'm having trouble finding a definitive answer on the cannibinoid test. Some people are saying yes, they are testing, others are saying don't worry about it. I have six weeks 'til my new contract starts, less than three until I go back to Korea. I'm ust trying to weigh up my options regarding whether I could get away with a few wee puffs over the next week or two??

You could just stop smoking it for a while, then you wouldn't have to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Not sure if it tests for weed but if it does and you are caught with it in your system then you are really f***ed! Unfortunately I seen a friend get caught with some of it in their system.

Losing your job and contract will be the least of your worries. Your in Korea and they are very strict on any drugs, you will basically have no rights and im not exaggerating.

As cloneslad said you could stop smoking it and not worry

• Advertisement

Surely you smoke to relax? I'm assuming that's why people smoke pot. But, this is causing you worry, because there might be an impending drugs test that you have to take.

See where I'm going with this? ;)

I was reading a Korean guide book in the library today, Lonely Planet's one I believe, and it basically stated Busanians are brash and some negative things besides hah. Anyone that's ever been there felt the same way? :D

Japan has a month long tourist rail pass that's a lot cheaper for tourists, so they can get around and see the whole country. It has to be bought outside of Japan of course. Does Korea have something similar to this?

Also is this a real IMAX screen in Busan? http://www.bigmoviezone.com/txshows/theaters/index.html?uniq=915
    The Dark Knight Rises is coming out this summer ;)

Advertisement