Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl in South Korea

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭col89

I've received a job offer and I'm not sure whether I should take it or wait until something else comes along first.

Would anyone who knows about South Korea be able to tell me if this offer sounds good?:

Job Type - hagwon in Osan city, Gyeoggi Province (around 50min away from Seoul); Salary - 2.1M Won; Working Schedule - 2:00pm~8:30pm; Teaching hours - 30hrs/week; Overtime pay - 18000/hr; Housing Type - Single housing; Paid Vacation - 8 days per year; Round Trip plane ticket / Severance Pay / 50 % of medical Insurance / Paid National Holiday included.

I'd appreciate it if there was anyone that personally traveled to South Korea and knows about this area, or at least to what's close to it. I've heard of people getting brilliant areas, like near the beach or some kind of beautiful scenery, but I've also heard some horror stories about where people have been located.

If anyone could advise me on this one, it'd be great! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

col89 wrote: »
    I've received a job offer and I'm not sure whether I should take it or wait until something else comes along first.

Would anyone who knows about South Korea be able to tell me if this offer sounds good?:

Job Type - hagwon in Osan city, Gyeoggi Province (around 50min away from Seoul); Salary - 2.1M Won; Working Schedule - 2:00pm~8:30pm; Teaching hours - 30hrs/week; Overtime pay - 18000/hr; Housing Type - Single housing; Paid Vacation - 8 days per year; Round Trip plane ticket / Severance Pay / 50 % of medical Insurance / Paid National Holiday included.

I'd appreciate it if there was anyone that personally traveled to South Korea and knows about this area, or at least to what's close to it. I've heard of people getting brilliant areas, like near the beach or some kind of beautiful scenery, but I've also heard some horror stories about where people have been located.

If anyone could advise me on this one, it'd be great! :)

it's quite a small city. there are prob regular buses into seoul. It's not near the beach if that's what you are after. If you want to be close to a nice beach then don't look for places in the seoul area (even though this place is good bit outside seoul proper).

there are beaches in Gyeonggi, but they are not the nicest in Korea.

The school doesn't seem too bad, though the holidays are quite short.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 badbuzz

Hey lads, great thread, loads of info.

As regards the application for public school jobs starting in February 2012, should I be signing up with a recruiter now in order to have the best chance/choice of the public school I work in, or is it too early?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Anyone here go to K League matches regularly? How much are tickets? I'll probably be in Incheon.

Edit: badbuzz, I'd say it's not too early to be signing up anyway, if you're looking at public schools/EPIK. Definitely not too early to start getting apostilles etc. But remember not to get your Police Certificate too early, as I think it needs to be dated no more than six months before you would start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

badbuzz wrote: »
    Hey lads, great thread, loads of info.

As regards the application for public school jobs starting in February 2012, should I be signing up with a recruiter now in order to have the best chance/choice of the public school I work in, or is it too early?

Too early...leave it for a couple of months at least. Agencies will be focusing on the September intake for now. Having said that there are always schools that are looking for teachers outside of the Feb and Sept periods unless you particularly want Feb '12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Newson123

dapto1 wrote: »
    Anyone here go to K League matches regularly? How much are tickets? I'll probably be in Incheon.

Edit: badbuzz, I'd say it's not too early to be signing up anyway, if you're looking at public schools/EPIK. Definitely not too early to start getting apostilles etc. But remember not to get your Police Certificate too early, as I think it needs to be dated no more than six months before you would start.

I live near World Cup Stadium, Seoul. I've been to an International (which was about 20,000). I've never been to a K-League game, but tickets are around 10,000 Won, depending on the match.

Baseball is the big sport here, though, and i'd recommend you check it out.

Also,

I'd be up for a meet-up next Saturday in, say, Dillinger's, Itaewon at 8 or 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

dapto1 wrote: »

Hey, ya I got to FC Seoul matches whenever I can. Its only 10k in and always easy to find a seat. Altho I was at a match last Saturday and the crowds were massive. I couldn't believe it, I think it was because of the good weather. They won the K league last year but are doing very bad this year. Altho they are still in the Asian Champions League. They are playing Incheon United next Saturday in what should be a good game.

Here is a few pictures I took at a recent game
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72460187&postcount=758

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Just got my visa number there now and they're booking my flights!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

How exciting for you! :D
    When and where are you starting?

hyperbaby wrote: »
    How exciting for you! :D
    When and where are you starting?

Seongdang-gu (soo many different spellings, not sure if that's right?!) on July 27th. I've 3 days training and then a week off :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

In what part of Korea is it located?
    Best of luck with it :)

hyperbaby wrote: »
    In what part of Korea is it located?
    Best of luck with it :)

In Seongdang-gu in Seoul :) Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hells Kitchen

Guys i've just been offered a contract. Everything seems pretty good but for one part.

In the case of missed working days covering the entire year due to national holidays or other factors, make-up classes will be scheduled on a Saturday.

How many national holidays are there in Korea? Would that be a deal breaker for you? The position is in Seoul and i spoke to an American guy teaching there who was very positive about the school. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

How many holidays does the contract state you are entitled to?

ARGINITE wrote: »
    How many holidays does the contract state you are entitled to?

It says 12-15 days. The middle part of my initial post is exactly what is says about working Saturdays to make up for national holidays. I'm not sure what to make of it really.

If you could talk to the current teacher again and see what he says about it that would be best. It sounds a little of putting to say the least. The Koreans don't have a huge amount of public holidays compared to Ireland.

Guys is it standard to book and pay for your own flight and then get reimbursed when you arrive.

Guys is it standard to book and pay for your own flight and then get reimbursed when you arrive.

Depends on the school ours were paid for before we left Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Just found the school I'm supposed to go to on a blacklist. Busan English village / busan global English village.

What do I do. It was written in 2009. I've not signed a contract yet but my brother did a quick search and found it.....

Wtf? Do I yell at my recruiter or what????

• Advertisement

Link?

http://blacklists2003.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Employers&action=display&thread=82

I had an interview with mister Kim. I'm going to email my recruiter mark with some questions about the contract when I get home.

What do you guys make of it? I can post my contract and correspondance with a current teacher there?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 king of cork

Re: Mr Kim
    http://briandeutsch.blogspot.com/2010/12/national-human-rights-commission-rules.html

The blacklist you linked dates back to 2009 as does the above link.That was when Busan Global Village opened, maybe it's got its act together since then. Definitely ask the current teacher about working hours, overtime, holidays etc - what you really need to know is whether Mr Kim is still a slave driver. Have you asked on Daves?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Hey

Which TEFL courses are sufficient to get employment in Korea?
    Is a degree necessary also?

Cheers

Re: Mr Kim
    http://briandeutsch.blogspot.com/2010/12/national-human-rights-commission-rules.html

The blacklist you linked dates back to 2009 as does the above link.That was when Busan Global Village opened, maybe it's got its act together since then. Definitely ask the current teacher about working hours, overtime, holidays etc - what you really need to know is whether Mr Kim is still a slave driver. Have you asked on Daves?

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?p=2440019

This is my contract. My brother says that if I go over and hate it I can come and live with him in Cambodia. I dunno what to think now. I'm annoyed, scared, upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

guitarzero wrote: »
    Hey

Which TEFL courses are sufficient to get employment in Korea?

None

Is a degree necessary also?

It's a strict legal requirement.If you don't have one, then look somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 king of cork

@squeakyduck

Well i can understand you're being peeved etc, but the whole process of upping sticks and heading off to the land of the morning calm is essentially a brave move. There is always a gamble: some might say just go for it, it's an adventure (and bring an extra set of documents!)

I saw the negative reaction to the contract on Daves but the main thing that would turn me off is the Saturday work.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Do_Lers

My Co- teacher is driving me mental!! 2 weeks ago she told me i had all of august off no desk warming nothing the school shuts down (Im teaching in a public school) and my camp finishes on July 31st. I asked her numerous times was she sure and she assured me she was sure. Brilliant!! I can go to a family wedding at home in Ireland and it wont seem like a rushed visit. TODAY she tells me actually I have 7 days off even though they dont need me to be in school i can only go home for 7 days, this seems like the most STUPID thing. Surely I could just say ok and go home anyway? What are the chances of getting caught? I wouldnt mind but everyone I know will be working and there is only so much seoul solo I can take! What do ye think?

@squeakyduck
    I saw the negative reaction to the contract on Daves but the main thing that would turn me off is the Saturday work.

Thank you for your reply King of Cork! :)

I posted a thread on Daves cafe just to see if anyone has acutally worked in this school and if possible I would try and talk to them about it over Skype. My brother said if I can try and get a skype interview with some of the other teachers over there. They will be more "honest" over the phone......The American girl I was emailing about the job seemed to have no pet peeves about the job and that mister Kim (the principal) was a good, fair man.

I know word of mouth is one thing, but a thread on Dave's cafe where I could find a job like this/for this school is worrying to me. I seem to be going on and on about it, but I don't want to waste a year under a slave driver, I do want to immerse myself in this country and see what it has to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭col89

Just one general question: What websites have people found to be useful when it comes to receiving replies on applying for jobs? The only one I found to be of any use was TEFL.com but it advertises the same advertisements over and over, so I don't know whether I'm missing out on any better websites that could offer more jobs.

Advertisement