Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl in South Korea

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

Newson123 wrote: »
    You don't have to get your degree notarised (unless the rules have since changed). You need to photocopy it, bring the copy to your college and get it certified as a true copy. This should be free. Then, bring the certified as true copy to be apostillied.

The photocopy of the degre must be notarised and apostiled, not the original. You won't be getting it back after you submit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Newson123

When i got it done, before the last Epik intake, i did not have to get the photocopy of the degree notarised. I had to get it stamped by the University as a certified true copy, which is free, and then i had to get the stamped copy apostilled.

You should probably clear this up with the recruiter. Ask them, does it have to be notarised and apostillied or just apostilied. If it has to be both, you'll have to pay a nice bit of money to get a solicitor to notarise it, and also pay for it to be apostilled. Don't do both, if you don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

How are the interviews going generally? Haven't found a good one yet?

I am getting much better at my Korean interview skills speaking slower intonation etc. Had an interview yesterday and the guy had SUCH broken English. But I feel that I dealt with it well! :)

I had my hopes pinned on two this morning. A BCMOE application that my ATC recuruiter is positive about (will be waiting another 7-10 days on a result) and a Busan Global English village (I had this interview this morning) There were two deal breakers for me (working one saturday a month (i know I'm being picky) and working Halloween, Childrens day AND CHRISTMAS)

(Christmas? What the hell like? Am I overreacting with the prospect of having to work Christmas? I asked 25th December in case Korean Christmas is different but no he said that I would have to work it and that he would see if I could get out of it and work some other day but it seemed to be set in stone...... my mother would FREAK!)

A little help on global English village in Busan is needed here there doesn't seem to be any bad news about it on the internet (none that I can find) Does anyone know anyone working here or have worked here?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

25th of December is a Sunday. So hopefully you should have it off.

dsane1 wrote: »
    25th of December is a Sunday. So hopefully you should have it off.

I looked at that after. God I'd say I'd hear my mother crying over in Korea if I didn't make it home for Christmas.

• Advertisement

You plan on going back to Ireland for Christmas?

You plan on going back to Ireland for Christmas?

Yeah, well at the moment I am....would I be crazy to do that?

I dont know. Im here 3 months and would love to go home for christmas. But it just seems like a crazy amount of money to spend.

I dont know. Im here 3 months and would love to go home for christmas. But it just seems like a crazy amount of money to spend.

Yeah, you do have a point, air fares are ridic. What would you do on Xmas day? It would be an awful lonely day. I'm guessing not every Irish person would go home for Christmas, probably get a few friends around and cook dinner?!

Yeah thats my plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Christmas is no big deal in Korea unlike in the west. As for going home for Xmas if you work in a private school forget about it you might have longer holidays in public school which might make it possible.

Yeah thats my plan.
    ARGINITE wrote: »
    Christmas is no big deal in Korea unlike in the west. As for going home for Xmas if you work in a private school forget about it you might have longer holidays in public school which might make it possible.

Wow that's crazy. Have any of ye heard of Busan Global English Village? Any good or bad news about it. I was interviewed by a guy from the school who gave me a current teachers email address to ask a few questions.

Any info would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Faxed over my security deposit form yesterday, looks like I'll be getting my first choice (Incheon). Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

One of my christmases in korea was spent on a boat from Busan to geoje, then doing my christmas chopping in homeplus and the department store, having dinner, chatting to family on skype and going to bed as I had work the next morning.

My last christmas there involved more of the same, except I didn't have a boat journey to make. I finished work christmas eve at 9pm. Went out for drink with friends, got up the next day, went to the opticians, went to the department store, did some grocery shopping,came home cooked dinner, then had friends over for the evening / night.

We ended up chatting to everyones families on skype as a big group, then as the group got more and more inebriated, we went on chat roullete and made fun of people.

The next day was a sunday, so we didn't have to work. We played soccer and frisbee instead.

It can be annoying not being home for christmas, but when you're living in a country that celebrates it more as a religious holiday and less of a eat lots of food, give and get lots of presents type deal, then you'll live without it. Although they are becoming more and more westernised in their approach to christmas lately.

ok, so its not as crazy as I thought.....I could probably hang out with some friends if I do get over there! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

ok, so its not as crazy as I thought.....I could probably hang out with some friends if I do get over there! :O

Christmas is just a big couple day here so best not to eat out that day. To be honest with Skype and webcams I never felt like I missed Christmas that much. Mind you the three of us (all brothers) use to work in a restaurant/bar so we were mad busy around the holiday season anyway.

Korea is still mostly a Buddhist country so Budda's birthday is a holiday but Easter, Christmas, Little Christmas etc are not official holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Yeah tbh I didn't think anyone would come home for it til you mentioned it. It's a hell of a trek and a lot of money for one day of the year like! It's not something I'd have taken into consideration at all when reading through contracts.

I've just been offers a job with a school in yongcheon.

8.30 til 5.30 m, t, t, f and 8.30 til 8.30 Wednesdays.

Every second Saturday you have to work.

I think Ill have a long hard think about it....if I accept and don't sign any contracts and something better comes along can I change my mind and accept another?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I've just been offers a job with a school in yongcheon.

8.30 til 5.30 m, t, t, f and 8.30 til 8.30 Wednesdays.

Every second Saturday you have to work.

I think Ill have a long hard think about it....if I accept and don't sign any contracts and something better comes along can I change my mind and accept another?

8.30-8.30?

They're very long hours, usually long. I wouldn't accept it if I were you, there are tons of better jobs out there. No contract I've seen has had hours longer than 9.30-6.30 or 2-10, and I've been offered a positions with less hours even - such as 10-6 and 2-8.30. None of them have included Saturdays.

I accepted a position a while back and decided to take a different one a few days later, you're safe enough so long as you haven't sent them your documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

Hey

So does anyone want to try for a Seoul meet-up for boardsies? It was suggested before, but don't think it happened..........

• Advertisement

Just got offered a job in busan with busan global English village 2.3 million won. 1Saturday a month and an apartment near the beach!!

2 jobs 1 day!! :)

Just got offered a job in busan with busan global English village 2.3 million won. 1Saturday a month and an apartment near the beach!!

That sounds good enough...English Villages have a good bunch of people living close together and acting out certain characters that the kids need to interact with when they go to the village. What are the hours like?

8.40 till 4.40 Mon to Fri and 1 Saturday a month. :) as long as it gets the thumbs up here I'm happy....this thread is whopper

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

8.40 till 4.40 Mon to Fri and 1 Saturday a month. :) as long as it gets the thumbs up here I'm happy....this thread is whopper

That one sounds great, congrats on the job offers. 10 days holidays, flights paid etc?

Paid flight, 15 days vacation I am so happy! Session on when I come over guys!!!

Sounds decent enough...how about accommodation?

Congrats!

Accommodation paid for 10 mins walk from the beach :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭virmilitaris

Hey

So does anyone want to try for a Seoul meet-up for boardsies? It was suggested before, but don't think it happened..........

I'm up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I'd def take this one over the other one. 1 sat a month is alright, it is annoying to have to work them but 12 in a year won't kill you.

Also with an English village it's different students all the time. You can re-hash the same material over and over again. It will get boring if you keep doing that, but it does make your life a bit easier if you're not feeling to productive some weeks.

Congrats on the job.

• Advertisement

I thought my Saturday would be paid as overtime but its included in my contract....if I'm asked to work another Saturday then its financially compensated.

In contact with a teacher at the school and she seems to be pleased about things there.

Advertisement