Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl in South Korea

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 trickydave

Lovely thanks ~Cool Running~!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

trickydave wrote: »
    ah ok, that clarifies it!

Just gave a ring there, 50 euro for notary, man this process loves money!

Cheers for all your help ekevosu, nice questions list above too!!

Try a few places, shop around. I got 3 documents notarised for €30.

dapto1 wrote: »
    Try a few places, shop around. I got 3 documents notarised for €30.

Why three?

I have an honours degree and a masters, but i presume i only need the masters in english and notarised etc etc, the other one is irrelevant now, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Why three?

I have an honours degree and a masters, but i presume i only need the masters in english and notarised etc etc, the other one is irrelevant now, right?

I got my degree and two teaching certificates apostilled. The certs didn't need to be! According to the recruiter I'm using for EPIK, you do need your undergrad and Masters apostilled. Might be different for hawons though, don't know.

dapto1 wrote: »
    I got my degree and two teaching certificates apostilled. The certs didn't need to be! According to the recruiter I'm using for EPIK, you do need your undergrad and Masters apostilled. Might be different for hawons though, don't know.

Im going for EPIK aswell.

But I emailed, i to i just now, they are organising my EPIK application and they said

"Hello,

Thank you for your email.

I would advise you have the degree of the highest standard translated, notarized and apostilled. You could then mention in your CV that you have the other degree also."

sweet..might leave it be for a while then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

I got my degree and masters apostilled but they only asked for my degree. I did send a scan of the masters though. They might need both when calculating your pay scale at epik.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Newson123

I know someone in pyeongtaek, but i've never been there. It's about an hour and a half to 2 hours from the centre of Seoul. It's kinda rural, but is on the subway. There's a pretty big foreign teacher community there.

I started in a Public School in Seoul at the beginning of March.

Bring over a few pairs of shoes. In a public school, black shoes, black pants or slacks and a shirt is fine. I brought over a suit. There probably was no need as it can take up alot of room in your luggage. If possible, bring over some irish whiskey or baileys or something. Give it to your Principal and V-P on the first day. Bring as much tea as you can.

Bring over enough clothes to last you for a month or two. yes, you can buy all of that stuff over here, but you're new in a strange land. For your first few weeks, buying a proper fork will prove challenging enough, let alone shoes!

From what i hear, you're better off to get a Public School job, if at all possible.

Also, i think this is important. If you can get into Seoul, do it. You will not regret it. This is especially true, if this is your first time travelling and/or you're young. Seoul is where it's at. Whatever you want to do is just a subway ride away.

You don't need a CELTA/CELT to get into Seoul. You do need a 100 hour TEFL course. They are alot cheaper. Also, try and get some experience. There will be summer camp jobs in Ireland going over the summer (you'll need a CELT for them most likely), or get volunteering experience.

Also, buy a laptop in Ireland and bring it over. Cameras, for example, are alot cheaper here, but laptops are about the same (from what i can gather). It could be a pain changing them from Korean to English if you get it here.

Don't buy a netbook either. You might as well spent an extra hundred or two and get a decent laptop. It WILL be worth it in the long-run.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

This thread is invaluable so thanks to everyone for their input.

My EPIK interview is done and dusted. It went okay, I was extremely nervous so I stumbled over a few questions but as time went on I felt more at ease and I was able to answer the questions easier.
    I will find out next week if I am successful or not.
    Fingers, limbs, toes, eyelids and everything else crossed!

I got the job!! 4 hours later I found out, I can't frecking believe it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Showtime!12

My Visa arrived in the post so I'm all set for Weds as long as I can figure out where to come up with the cash to survive my first month!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

hyperbaby wrote: »

Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

OMG Congrats Hyperbaby!

Any tips on questions? How long was your interview. Did you do a skype webcam interview?

Did you find out where you would be based?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JohnJoe1987

Just had a phone interview for a job in a hagwon yesterday morning. The school is called Hello Segye (World) language school in Bupyeong, Incheon city. Is this a good location?

The interview was with an irish teacher who i am replacing and he gave me good information about the school regarding being paid on time and that his boss was a good man.

Do you think it was unusual for a teacher that i am replacing to be doing the interview? Also has anyone ever heard of the school as I was trying to find info about it online but didnt find anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

ah ok, that clarifies it!

Just gave a ring there, 50 euro for notary, man this process loves money!

Cheers for all your help ekevosu, nice questions list above too!!

Do NOT pay 50 euro to get your documents notarised.

You DO NOT need to get it done by a Notary Public. A normal solicitor will do, as long as they are a Commissioner for Oaths. Most, if not all, solicitors are. It should only be 10 euro per document. It is the standard charge. A Notary Public charges 40/50 euro per doc but you don't need to get it done by one of them. I got mine done recently so it's up to date information.

Remember you also need your Police Check notarised too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭virmilitaris

Just had a phone interview for a job in a hagwon yesterday morning. The school is called Hello Segye (World) language school in Bupyeong, Incheon city. Is this a good location?

I already answered this, didn't you see it ?

Bupyeong is a good centre on the edge of Incheon towards Seoul. You can be in Seoul in 30 minutes on the subway and in Itaewon (Foreigner central) in 40.

There are several foreigner type bars, lots of restaurants, a decent nitelife and a lot of other foreigners there too.

I live quite close to it and it's definitely one of the best areas on Incheon.
    The interview was with an irish teacher who i am replacing and he gave me good information about the school regarding being paid on time and that his boss was a good man.

I might know him then but I'm not sure about the guy I'm thinking of school's name.
    Do you think it was unusual for a teacher that i am replacing to be doing the interview?

Nope. Quite usual.

What the school cares about;

1. Do you qualify for a working Visa ?
    2. Can you speak English ?

You're hired.
    Also has anyone ever heard of the school as I was trying to find info about it online but didnt find anything?

Do you know the address ? The name of the teacher who interviewed you ? PM me.

OMG Congrats Hyperbaby!

Any tips on questions? How long was your interview. Did you do a skype webcam interview?

Did you find out where you would be based?

My interview was 40 minutes long.
    The interviewer asked me:
    Why did I want to become an EFL teacher?
    Why Korea?
    What are my short-term and long-term goals?
    Tell me about your teaching experience to date?
    How do you feel about working with a co-teacher?
    How to deal with a disinterested student?
    My favourite thing when I visited Korea?
    What will be the hardest thing about Korea?
    How will I deal with the different levels in class and the age of the students?
    Have I lived or studied abroad?
    Went through all of the application form very quickly, except the essay.

I asked a load of question near the end when I got over the initial jitters!

Won't find out where I'm based until I send in all my documents, just waiting on one more document to be sent back to me and then I can send all the documents to them.

kraggy wrote: »
    Remember you also need your Police Check notarised too.

cool runnings just said on the last page that you dont? and i saw no mention of it on i to i website,
    think its jus apostilled, not notarised...

just a quick question regarding jobs in public schools. My friend and I are hoping to travel over together in the next two months. Would it be possible to get work in the same public school or would it be easier in hagwons?

just a quick question regarding jobs in public schools. My friend and I are hoping to travel over together in the next two months. Would it be possible to get work in the same public school or would it be easier in hagwons?

If you go on to daves esl cafe ,there are many different opporutunities for 2 people etc so you should be able to find either

cool runnings just said on the last page that you dont? and i saw no mention of it on i to i website,
    think its jus apostilled, not notarised...

Sorry, my mistake. Because you're police check is an original, it doesn't need to be notarised. But you're degree photocopy does, because it's not an original.

So you should only have to pay a solicitor 10 euro. And then pay Dept of Foreign Affairs for 2 apostilles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

My interview was 40 minutes long.
    The interviewer asked me:
    Why did I want to become an EFL teacher?
    Why Korea?
    What are my short-term and long-term goals?
    Tell me about your teaching experience to date?
    How do you feel about working with a co-teacher?
    How to deal with a disinterested student?
    My favourite thing when I visited Korea?
    What will be the hardest thing about Korea?
    How will I deal with the different levels in class and the age of the students?
    Have I lived or studied abroad?
    Went through all of the application form very quickly, except the essay.

I asked a load of question near the end when I got over the initial jitters!

Won't find out where I'm based until I send in all my documents, just waiting on one more document to be sent back to me and then I can send all the documents to them.

Wow 40 minutes long is really something! What is the position? They are being really thorough I guess. Wow 40 minutes!

Sorry, my mistake. Because you're police check is an original, it doesn't need to be notarised. But you're degree photocopy does, because it's not an original.

So you should only have to pay a solicitor 10 euro. And then pay Dept of Foreign Affairs for 2 apostilles.

ah right i see, cheers kraggy!

ITs a bit confusin, like a rang a solicitor today and she was like, il witness that no bother, free if you like, and i was like notarise it? and she was like... hmm im not sure if i can notarise it exactly, you might need a public notary to do that, but i dont do i, shel do/? right?

Wow 40 minutes long is really something! What is the position? They are being really thorough I guess. Wow 40 minutes!

Mine was 45 mins. Did it 3 weeks ago.

Flying out this Friday. Going working with SMOE in Seoul and my visa will be ready on Thursday, so booked a flight for Friday, which arrives lunchtime on Saturday. Said to the recruiter that I might be arriving on a Saturday and he never metioned any problem. Emailed him the flight details today and he replies back saying that there won't be anyone available on a Saturday to meet me at the airport so could I rebook my flight? Or alternatively, I can arrive, make my way to a motel for 2 nights and head into work Monday morning, from the motel for my first day at work.

I'm livid. But at the same time, I got an email from the SMOE Co-ordinator saying that transport had been arranged for me. But to contact EPIK for the information.

But he didn't give me a number for EPIK. So I've to wait up late tonight and try and sort this mess out. Cause if I do need to change flights, I need to do it asap.

Really didn't want this mess so close to going. And it's the second major fúck up by my recruiter.

ah right i see, cheers kraggy!

ITs a bit confusin, like a rang a solicitor today and she was like, il witness that no bother, free if you like, and i was like notarise it? and she was like... hmm im not sure if i can notarise it exactly, you might need a public notary to do that, but i dont do i, shel do/? right?

You need someone that is an official notary that can notarise it. Kraggy is right though about the cost. 10 euro should be plenty.

Well, it might have been 5 minutes shorter if I hadn't asked him loads of questions near the end, once I got over the initial nerves. The average time is 30-40 minutes.
    It was just for the regular EPIK position.

What's people's experience of getting their first choice of location?
    I'm still waiting on one set of transcripts and then I can send off the forms.
    HURRY UP COLLEGE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RadioClash

Public schools, highly unlikely, never heard of them having more than one NET. Hagwons do sometimes like taking on couples though. Although I don't know if you're a couple ;).

RadioClash wrote: »
    Public schools, highly unlikely, never heard of them having more than one NET. Hagwons do sometimes like taking on couples though. Although I don't know if you're a couple ;).

No we are just friends. Would they not take two people to work for them if they were just friends? I don't intend on pretending to be a couple :(

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RadioClash

No we are just friends. Would they not take two people to work for them if they were just friends? I don't intend on pretending to be a couple :(

I'm quite sure it is possible but you may have to do a bit of digging. Explain it to a recruiter and see what they can do for you. Some schools like hiring couples because they only have to provide one apartment. You might find it easier for the two of ye to gun for separate jobs in the same area though, I dunno.

RadioClash wrote: »
    I'm quite sure it is possible but you may have to do a bit of digging. Explain it to a recruiter and see what they can do for you. Some schools like hiring couples because they only have to provide one apartment. You might find it easier for the two of ye to gun for separate jobs in the same area though, I dunno.

The public school I was hired for has two nets, me and an Australian guy. They previously had an American couple. I have read a lot of jobs advertising for couples / friends as it helps people settle easier.

The American couple at the school from last year left their contract early directly after taking a 2 month vacation and making a tip out if the two apartments they were given.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭virmilitaris

Or alternatively, I can arrive, make my way to a motel for 2 nights and head into work Monday morning, from the motel for my first day at work.

Did you get this sorted ?

If you need help finding your way to wherever you're going in Seoul you can give me a bell. I'm free most Saturdays, pm ne for my num.

Or if you tell us where you're going I can find a cheap motel for ya and give you directions.

Advertisement