Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl in South Korea

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Showtime!12

ekevosu wrote: »
    I'm going to it but I'm already in Korea and managed to get my visa and arc sent out to me without having to leave the country. Where are you going to be based?
    Nice one I'm just waiting on the embassy to send me back my passport with the visa in it. Just contemplating should I book it or wait till it arrives back I'd say the flights could be a bit high if I wait till 3 days before.
    I'm going to be based in Busan, I've done a year in a private school in Daegu before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Guys, are you going to be based in Seoul?

Myself and the girlfriend are heading in a couple of weeks but nothing has been said to us about Orientation. In fact, we were told that we prob wouldn't be getting an Orientation.

We're going to be teaching with SMOE. (Seoul branch of EPIK).

cloneslad wrote: »
    you can do it the following day after you purchase the ID account from what I remember. I think you have a maximum time you can do it in rather than a minimum.

They aren't worth the paper they're written on though.

Now you need a TEFL, minimum 100 hour cert, as well as having a degree to teach for SMOE, unless you have a B.Ed. or 1 year full time teaching experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

Nice one I'm just waiting on the embassy to send me back my passport with the visa in it. Just contemplating should I book it or wait till it arrives back I'd say the flights could be a bit high if I wait till 3 days before.
    I'm going to be based in Busan, I've done a year in a private school in Daegu before.

I'd book the flights now as the visa shouldn't take more than five days to get back to you from what the Korean embassy in Ireland claim.

I'm going to be based in gangwon-do in pyeongchang which is why I applied for the job, that and the 35 days holidays. Lovely area, lots of mountains, national parks, close enough to coast etc but isolated and rural enough so a car is going to be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Got my EPIK interview tonight, any tips?

• Advertisement

Best of luck.

Classroom management, what you know about Korea, teaching style, lesson plan, why do you want to teach.

Speak clearly and not too fast but not overly slow either.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

dapto1 wrote: »
    Got my EPIK interview tonight, any tips?
    I done it last October, so here goes from what i can remember.
    • Why Korea?
      Do you know that life in Korea moves very fast
    • Know something about your top 3 choices of where you want to go.
    • What would you do with a naughty student in class
    • What would you do with a naughty student in class
    • What would you do with a co-teacher who's English is not great and is too shy to speak in front of you
    • What are your hobbies
    • Will you miss home and how will you stay in contact with friends and relatives
    • What do you know about Korean culture, history and food
    • How will you handle large class sizes
    • How will you handle student who have different levels of English

This is all I can think of for the moment, if I think of anything else I'll edit this post.

Best of luck with the interview it's not that hard and last about 40 minutes. You'll be fine ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JohnJoe1987

Hi everyone,

I know these questions were probably answered before but i just have a few quick questions to put my mind at ease. Me and my brother are hoping to go to Korea to teach English as we are getting a bit tired of life in Ireland even though we have jobs but the long term prospects are not good and we would love a change of scenery for a year or two. We both have honours degrees but dont have any TEFL courses done. How easy would it be to get a job? What agency or websites would you recommended us to contact to get the ball rolling. How long would it take to actually be in Korea teaching if I took the right steps from today and any other information along the lines mentioned above would be of a great help, thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭virmilitaris

How easy would it be to get a job?

I'm going to make a few assumptions here.

1. You're alive.
    2. Your native language is English.
    3. You have a degree.

Welcome aboard.

In all seriousness though it's ridiculously easy to get a job. It takes a bit of work to get a 'good' job in a 'good' (read popular) area though.
    What agency or websites would you recommended us to contact to get the ball rolling.

www.worknplay.co.kr or if you fancy an Irish recruiter http://www.tigerenglish.com/

But be warned, recruiters only care about placing you in a job as quickly as possible. If you want to get a 'good' job I suggest looking yourself on websites like worknplay or daves esl (just google it).
    How long would it take to actually be in Korea teaching if I took the right steps from today and any other information along the lines mentioned above would be of a great help, thank you

Minimum ? Assuming you can get all your documents together relatively quickly you could be here well within a month. I actually got out here in less than a week from first applying for a job but there were far fewer requirements back then.

First thing to do is get your gardai clearance. Some people I've talked to had to wait up to a month or more for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 shanem152

Hi guys,

I have a masters in economics and compelted the 140 hour tefl course with i to i

I signed up for the i to i job placement service, with EPIK, is this the best way to go or should i do some hunting myself?

I would prefer to go to Busan, as I like the idea of the beach life etc and not crazy about seoul. Is it possible to be this picky using
    A) the service i to i provide
    B) on my own back

Ive been looking on daves esl cafe, and im struggling to know whats reliable and what isnt! So maybe thats whats good about i to t?

I have my garda clearance (think i have to bring it to foreign affars office and get it stamped, is that correct?), getting my degree translated into english, renewing my passport etc etc , so i just need to get applying now!

I noticed in past answers advice over private or public schools etc , which was the one to avoid again?

Also any employers on daves that are must avoids?

thanks for everything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

shanem152 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I have a masters in economics and compelted the 140 hour tefl course with i to i

I signed up for the i to i job placement service, with EPIK, is this the best way to go or should i do some hunting myself?

I would prefer to go to Busan, as I like the idea of the beach life etc and not crazy about seoul. Is it possible to be this picky using
    A) the service i to i provide
    B) on my own back

Ive been looking on daves esl cafe, and im struggling to know whats reliable and what isnt! So maybe thats whats good about i to t?

Someone else here used i to i, I've never used them. Beware when applying for public school positions in EPIK GEPIK etc because you can only make one application. If you allow more than one recruiter to apply for you, then you'll automatically be denied.
    I have my garda clearance (think i have to bring it to foreign affars office and get it stamped, is that correct?), getting my degree translated into english, renewing my passport etc etc , so i just need to get applying now!

Yes, you must bring it to the dpt of foreign affairs, but you must also bring a copy of your degree there to get stamped too, so hold on a do both together. (it'll not be any cheaper but it will be less hassle than going twice)
    I noticed in past answers advice over private or public schools etc , which was the one to avoid again?

Neither, both have their good and bad points, though generally you won't get screwed over by a public school.

Private schools provide good hours but less holidays than a public school (generally) it's just a matter of doing research on the place you're going to, getting in touch with current teacher etc and making sure the place is good enough to spend at least 12 months there.
    Also any employers on daves that are must avoids?

Wonderland would be my only one that I'd say to consider avoiding without even talking to the current teacher as you'll generally get screwed over.

In saying that, I have a friend whose school recently took over the wonderland name (as it's a franchise) and her boss isn't all that bad. her boss did fire someone about 8-9 months into his contract last may or so...but if you met him you'd have fired him too. She's leaving in May and is struggling to find a replacement because it's a wonderland. Had it have been called something else then she'd prob be okay.

The previous school on the island that had the wonderland name was an absolute nightmare to work for and they closed down in January, one month after bringin over a new teacher from S. Africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 shanem152

Cheers cloneslad, more great advice
    cloneslad wrote: »

Yes, you must bring it to the dpt of foreign affairs, but you must also bring a copy of your degree there to get stamped too, so hold on a do both together. (it'll not be any cheaper but it will be less hassle than going twice)

Would that be a copy of the english translation? or the original?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jan Molby

I agreed to an offer from my boss to find my replacement at my Hagwon in Pyeongtaek, just outside Seoul. I thought it would be a good idea to sign up here to see if anyone was interested. Then I saw this thread..

My school is a Wonderland and I'm the head foreign teacher at it. The school is great and what you have to remember is that like any franchise, each one is different. I have been here 13 months and I am staying another 3, the previous head teacher stayed 2 1/2 years. There's 8 foreign teachers and if further down the line someone wants to speak to them or even any of our previous teachers they can. I've had a fantastic year here, but anyway it's up to you if you're interested. I'll tell it to you straight in the interview.

The contract is for 12 months, 2.2mil, good apartment, 10 days vacation and up to 25 hours teaching. Anyway pm me for more information and to exchange e mails or skype details.

shanem152 wrote: »
    Cheers cloneslad, more great advice

Would that be a copy of the english translation? or the original?

I used an apostiled notarised copy of my degree which was in Latin and had no problem. They never asked for an English translation from me. I know it's been mentioned on this thread so better to be safe but I think Latin is fine. Ring the Irish embassy and double check although they have given me advice in the last month that was off the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RadioClash

Jan Molby wrote: »
    I agreed to an offer from my boss to find my replacement at my Hagwon in Pyeongtaek, just outside Seoul. I thought it would be a good idea to sign up here to see if anyone was interested. Then I saw this thread..

My school is a Wonderland and I'm the head foreign teacher at it. The school is great and what you have to remember is that like any franchise, each one is different. I have been here 13 months and I am staying another 3, the previous head teacher stayed 2 1/2 years. There's 8 foreign teachers and if further down the line someone wants to speak to them or even any of our previous teachers they can. I've had a fantastic year here, but anyway it's up to you if you're interested. I'll tell it to you straight in the interview.

The contract is for 12 months, 2.2mil, good apartment, 10 days vacation and up to 25 hours teaching. Anyway pm me for more information and to exchange e mails or skype details.

What's Pyongtaek like incidentally? Not interested in the job mind you, but I know there's an expanding military base there. Must be decent foreign food options around/nightlife etc.

Yep, Footprints sent off my application yesterday. Incheon 1st choice, Busan 2nd. Can't wait!

Why in God's name would you want to live in Incheon? It's what depression would look like if it took an urban form.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

RadioClash wrote: »
    Why in God's name would you want to live in Incheon? It's what depression would look like if it took an urban form.

Well having never been to Korea, I made the decision based on researching it and what others who have lived there have told me. But thanks for your constructive input.

Well having never been to Korea, I made the decision based on researching it and what others who have lived there have told me. But thanks for your constructive input.

Sorry, didn't mean to come off as snarky.It's just for my money it offers by far the least of any major city in Korea. I'd be going for Busan every day of the week, that's a great city, especially in summertime. Best of luck with your experience either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 trickydave

I used an apostiled notarised copy of my degree which was in Latin and had no problem. They never asked for an English translation from me. I know it's been mentioned on this thread so better to be safe but I think Latin is fine. Ring the Irish embassy and double check although they have given me advice in the last month that was off the truth.

apostillesd///notarised////

whats the difference?

i sent for an english copy of my degree too, and there was an option for ten euro to get it authenticated, so i ticked that, is that either of those?

i realise i have to bring it to FA to get apostillised, but do i really need to go to a solicitor for this notarisation? it sounds expensive?

trickydave wrote: »
    apostillesd///notarised////

whats the difference?

i sent for an english copy of my degree too, and there was an option for ten euro to get it authenticated, so i ticked that, is that either of those?

i realise i have to bring it to FA to get apostillised, but do i really need to go to a solicitor for this notarisation? it sounds expensive?

Not sure what authenticated in that instance means, maybe give a ring and ask is the quickest way. There are notaries everywhere (listed on interweb) and to get it notarised will cost about 10 euro or thereabouts. Then take it to the FA to get apostilled. Garda check is already notarised by Garda supertendent so only needs apostille. Do this on degree copy not original but bring the original with you in case they ask.

• Advertisement

Sorry, didn't mean to come off as snarky.It's just for my money it offers by far the least of any major city in Korea. I'd be going for Busan every day of the week, that's a great city, especially in summertime. Best of luck with your experience either way.

Korea is what you make of it yourself anyway, hopefully embracing the differences, enjoying them and learning from them, not moaning all the time that they aren't western enough. Make friends, try different things and you'll love it.

Incheon has some nice parts to it and isn't a million miles from Seoul either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭virmilitaris

Spilled my coffee after reading that, haha. A goose goose (Bupyeong) regular were you ?

Incheons a big place and some parts are depressing holes but there are some great places too.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

My Korean friend told me living in Incheon would be a bad idea but it is my second choice on my preferred list so you never know I could end up there.

Has anyone here gone through an interview with EPIK?
    My interview is on Friday, I'm sh!tting a brick at the thought of it.

Also, does anyone know how long it takes for them to apostille your documents if you go directly to the office and get them to do it there?
    I have very limited time in Dublin tomorrow.

When you bring your docs/visa package to the embassy, do they tell you which day it will be ready and is it guaranteed to be ready that day?

The SMOE co-ordinator emailed me asking me to email him my flight details once I've booked so that arrangements can be made to pick me up from the airport, but I thought I could only book the flight once I have the visa in my hand?

How lond did your visas take to process in the embassy and are they definitely ready when they say they will be? Don't want to book a flight and then miss it cause they visa process was delayed in the embassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Showtime!12

kraggy wrote: »
    When you bring your docs/visa package to the embassy, do they tell you which day it will be ready and is it guaranteed to be ready that day?

The SMOE co-ordinator emailed me asking me to email him my flight details once I've booked so that arrangements can be made to pick me up from the airport, but I thought I could only book the flight once I have the visa in my hand?

How lond did your visas take to process in the embassy and are they definitely ready when they say they will be? Don't want to book a flight and then miss it cause they visa process was delayed in the embassy.

Ya, I'm in the same situation, I booked a flight with Ethiad for next Wednesday and dropped all my documents at the embassy on Friday. The girl there said the longest it would take was five working days. I left an envelope with them to post my passport back to Kerry but I'm thinking of calling and telling them that I'll collect it cause it could take till late Tuesday evening. I'm hoping that they have in the post 2m but if not i'm just gonna tell them to hold on2 it for me.
    If it is delayed it will cost me 100 to change my flight which isn't that bad considering it will be gone up by that much if I was to book it a day or 2 before.

hyperbaby wrote: »
    My Korean friend told me living in Incheon would be a bad idea but it is my second choice on my preferred list so you never know I could end up there.

Has anyone here gone through an interview with EPIK?
    My interview is on Friday, I'm sh!tting a brick at the thought of it.

Also, does anyone know how long it takes for them to apostille your documents if you go directly to the office and get them to do it there?
    I have very limited time in Dublin tomorrow.

The apostille is done on the spot as it's just a stamp so they should be able to do it straight away once they see your notarised copy. Bring the original just in case.

The EPIK interview I did was for gangwon-do so perhaps a bit easier than most as the lady interviewing was the head of regions education and had perfect American english and was very friendly. I didn't really get asked many teaching questions at all. She told me halfway through I had the job and even let me choose my location out of what was on offer. Just relax, have a look at the list of questions posted by someone earlier in the thread and let us know how you get on. Best of luck.

You can book the flight at any stage as Irish people don't need a visa to visit Korea (we get a 3 month tourist visa automatically). The visa is only needed when you land in Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Im trying to get my interview tomorrow. Just got the email about it today. Ill try and make a list of questions tonight to prepare.

What did people wear?? Shirt and jacket? I want to look nice, thinking blouse and hair and makeup nicely done...might wear my pj bottoms underneath...they will never know!!

Im trying to get my interview tomorrow. Just got the email about it today. Ill try and make a list of questions tonight to prepare.

What did people wear?? Shirt and jacket? I want to look nice, thinking blouse and hair and makeup nicely done...might wear my pj bottoms underneath...they will never know!!

Most people do phone interviews. Have you arranged to a skype interview or what?

• Advertisement

You can book the flight at any stage as Irish people don't need a visa to visit Korea (we get a 3 month tourist visa automatically). The visa is only needed when you land in Korea.

If you're going over to teach English, you need an E2 visa which is different to a tourist visa.

It's needed before you go over to Korea and can be got from the South Korean embassy in Dublin. I'm getting my visa package from Korea by Fedex tomorrow, then have to bring that to the embassy in Dublin, wait about 5 days for them to process it and then I can book the flight.

Advertisement