Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl in South Korea

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭brianw1

Hey Brian. I'm actually talking to ok recrutment at the minute as I saw a lot of good reviews for them online. Was talking to Bonnie the other day on Skype so hopefully be sorted in the next week or so.

With the apostille did you have to make an appointment to get it done or do you just turn up and queue. Also you only got 2 documents done. I thought I needed 3? Two copies of the degree and the garda clearance cert?

i didn't go there in person but sent them to the dfa through registered post, it took 2 weeks to get them back

you need only one copy of your degree apostilled for the visa, not sure where you read that you needed 2 copies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Football Friend

brianw1 wrote: »
    i didn't go there in person but sent them to the dfa through registered post, it took 2 weeks to get them back

you need only one copy of your degree apostilled for the visa, not sure where you read that you needed 2 copies?

Cool, I think you can just go up on the day and get it done so that will save me a bit of time. I'll head up Monday or Tuesday next week.

You're right I researched again and it is only 1 copy of degree. Last question. Is it the original garda clearance or a copy of it that you got notarised and apostilled? I suppose it doesn't really make a diff either way if it's apostilled but just curious as to what you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭brianw1

I apostilled the original clearance cert. There was no need to notarise as it wasn't a copy and it was stamped by the superintendent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I've heard a few claims that if applying for a second visa in Korea, you don't need to send an apostilled degree. I don't think this is true, but can anyone enlighten me?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

I've heard a few claims that if applying for a second visa in Korea, you don't need to send an apostilled degree. I don't think this is true, but can anyone enlighten me?

You mean applying for an E2 visa for the second time?

I came to Korea as a teacher on two separate occasions and needed the apostilled degree for both....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭RingTheAlarm!

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of applying for a visa for a job which starts at the beginning of March and I'm getting a bit anxious about time. If I get the visa issue number generally is it emailed to me and do I then have to present this at the consulate or do I need a hard copy? I am sending out my docs by courier so it should arrive in a few days but I'm scared that I won't get the visa on time. Has anyone has any experience of this please?

RingTheAlarm!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 angryangel

I wouldn't sweat it too much, that's a fair bit of time, but do stay on it and get your stuff in. When I couriered documents (about 18 months ago) they were very fast, then the turn around was pretty quick. I can't remember exactly but I think it was a week for my visa number to be emailed to me.

I recall just needing the number at the consulate, so if it's emailed it should be fine. You have to fill in a form with the details. Call the consulate to confirm what form you need to fill in and also what documents to bring.

There's plenty of time as long as you don't delay doing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Marie212

Hi! I want to go teach English in August. I'm in the middle of filling out the application for Sabis but now I've been looking into EPIK and it seems more appealing! So UAE or Korea? Anyone who has been to either got any recommendation?

Marie212 wrote: »
    Hi! I want to go teach English in August. I'm in the middle of filling out the application for Sabis but now I've been looking into EPIK and it seems more appealing! So UAE or Korea? Anyone who has been to either got any recommendation?

Why is EPIK/South Korea looking more appealing to you now? What are you hoping to get out of the experience of teaching abroad?

I don't know anything really about SABIS/UAE, but have taught in Korea (though not with EPIK).

My motivations for going was mainly financial. I wanted to save a fair bit of money while having a comfortable lifestyle. And that was very achievable.

Let us know some specific questions and we can give you our thoughts :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Are any documents you get only valid for 6 months? I want to get stuff apostilled next week but will they be good for September 2015?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Football Friend

kaji wrote: »
    Are any documents you get only valid for 6 months? I want to get stuff apostilled next week but will they be good for September 2015?

Hey Kaji, you need to get your copy of you degree and original garda clearance apostilled but I think the garda clearance can't be older than 6 months when you're applying for you visa so it would be safer for you to apply for you garda clearance around May (you will get it within 2 weeks) and having all your docs ready by the beginning of June..will still give you plenty of time to get organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

When it comes to applying for anything official/immigration/government-related in Korea, get every document you need and then get the ones that you think you might need as well...Korea is notorious for chopping and changing the required documents and procedures for various things and often you get told different things by different officials which causes huge knock-on confusion when people like us try to find out what the deal is by word-of-mouth.

What's worse is that if you're short a document or a stamp or whatever, generally speaking the various departments can be notoriously inflexible and rigidly inhuman, and won't care what another official told you or didn't tell you and will give you very little if any leeway or understanding.

They love paperwork and stamps and officiousness here and if it's decided you don't have one of the items on whatever list of requirements they've dreamed up on a given day, then you might be in trouble if you get a Hitler at your desk.

When it comes to applying for anything official/immigration/government-related in Korea, get every document you need and then get the ones that you think you might need as well...Korea is notorious for chopping and changing the required documents and procedures for various things and often you get told different things by different officials which causes huge knock-on confusion when people like us try to find out what the deal is by word-of-mouth.

What's worse is that if you're short a document or a stamp or whatever, generally speaking the various departments can be notoriously inflexible and rigidly inhuman, and won't care what another official told you or didn't tell you and will give you very little if any leeway or understanding.

They love paperwork and stamps and officiousness here and if it's decided you don't have one of the items on whatever list of requirements they've dreamed up on a given day, then you might be in trouble if you get a Hitler at your desk.

Very sound advice. :-)......Plus one on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thinking of heading to Korea later in the year. I researched it a few years back but opted not to at the time but am looking again now. I believe the visa situation has changed now and you have to do an interview in a Korean embassy. I have a Masters so my preference would be to seek university work, however I understand being over there on the ground is much better to land these in demand positions than trying to apply from abroad. Which obviously means a problem getting a visa. Is there any way around this problem, eg. if I travelled to Seoul on a tourist visa and landed a job can I then fly to Japan and enjoy a 3 week holiday there whilst also scheduling an interview in the Korean embassy in Tokyo? Or is there a rule that the embassy has to be in your home country or a country where you are actually living ?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭HenryChinaski

Ah, university jobs are hard to get from overseas, but not impossible. The main thing is you'll need a March start for most of them, so you've probably missed the cut-off. Some do hire for September too, but these days it seems like most of the universities have got most of their teachers running March to March now. Also, even with a masters, a lot of universities prefer people who have at least a year's experience in Korea. I'm assuming it's because they want teachers who have adjusted to the culture or whatever. On a final note, the job market in Korea is definitely in decline. Well, it's actually so over-saturated that the salary and benefits are really disintegrating. Pay is down, holidays are way down, working hours are up, and a lot of places are no longer offering return flights, and instead they're only offering one-way. If you have a masters and are serious about teaching at university level, you'd probably find better opportunities elsewhere.

Ah, university jobs are hard to get from overseas, but not impossible. The main thing is you'll need a March start for most of them, so you've probably missed the cut-off. Some do hire for September too, but these days it seems like most of the universities have got most of their teachers running March to March now. Also, even with a masters, a lot of universities prefer people who have at least a year's experience in Korea. I'm assuming it's because they want teachers who have adjusted to the culture or whatever. On a final note, the job market in Korea is definitely in decline. Well, it's actually so over-saturated that the salary and benefits are really disintegrating. Pay is down, holidays are way down, working hours are up, and a lot of places are no longer offering return flights, and instead they're only offering one-way. If you have a masters and are serious about teaching at university level, you'd probably find better opportunities elsewhere.

Yeah, I would second everything said here by Henry......especially the part about most universities wanting people with experience in Korea first. A few acquaintances of mine (with Masters) did an academy job for the first year and then were able to move onto university work the following year.......You could be lucky though, but like Henry said, even so, the bulk of the jobs would be next March.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭JFitzgerald

Hi,
    sorry - slightly off thread - but can anyone point me in the direction of teaching in taiwan with footprints recruiting?
    anyone know much about this?
    ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭roosh

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thinking of heading to Korea later in the year. I researched it a few years back but opted not to at the time but am looking again now. I believe the visa situation has changed now and you have to do an interview in a Korean embassy. I have a Masters so my preference would be to seek university work, however I understand being over there on the ground is much better to land these in demand positions than trying to apply from abroad. Which obviously means a problem getting a visa. Is there any way around this problem, eg. if I travelled to Seoul on a tourist visa and landed a job can I then fly to Japan and enjoy a 3 week holiday there whilst also scheduling an interview in the Korean embassy in Tokyo? Or is there a rule that the embassy has to be in your home country or a country where you are actually living ?
    Here is a facebook group where uni jobs are regulalry posted. You could search previous posts for info. or ask people who are currently working in unis.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/foreignprofessors/

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SYLT

Some really good info in this thread! Would anyone know what's the best agency to use these days? Tried accessing a few of the websites mentioned earlier in the thread but no luck!

Any help is much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Muahahaha, Choccie Lover and HenryChinaski is spot on what they said.

Not only is it almost impossible to get a Uni job in Korea, while outside it, it's becoming more and more about who you know (it's how I got in, the Irish are a very tight knit community over here with the Korean Gaelic League, soccer, etc.). Also, as well as a having a Masters, more and more Unis are looking for 3 years experience with said qualification.

However, don't let that completely put you off. There is no harm in applying to every Uni post you see. You never know, you may get lucky. I have a bit more info, should you have any more questions just ask here or send me a private mail.

PS: another good website for Uni vacancies is Dave's ESL Korea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

SYLT wrote: »
    Some really good info in this thread! Would anyone know what's the best agency to use these days? Tried accessing a few of the websites mentioned earlier in the thread but no luck!

Any help is much appreciated.

Korvia are a good recruiting company, especially for Seoul and around Seoul (GEPIK)

I originally used Footprints, they got me a job with CNOE (Chungnam Province) , they were very helpful. But I never contacted them or needed them after I set foot in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Conzea

Hi,
    I've started looking into teaching in Korea and just have to say that this board is incredibly useful. I won't be going for two years because I have to finish my degree but I definitely feel I have a head start now I'm doing a TEFL and started learning a little Korean.

I've read some stuff on the Waygook.org forums and there seems to be a far higher percentage of people on there complaining about their experiences compared to Boards. Most of the posters are Americans and and I don't want to paint with a broad brush (here it comes though) but a lot of them sound like whiny f***s who can't understand how a country could dare to be different than the US.

So I'm wondering what your experience of American expats is because judging by those forums and the many many youtube videos they put up they seem to be quite annoying. I understand that way more Americans go over to teach in Korea so obviously generalising is unfair but what were your experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Conzea wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've started looking into teaching in Korea and just have to say that this board is incredibly useful. I won't be going for two years because I have to finish my degree but I definitely feel I have a head start now I'm doing a TEFL and started learning a little Korean.

I've read some stuff on the Waygook.org forums and there seems to be a far higher percentage of people on there complaining about their experiences compared to Boards. Most of the posters are Americans and and I don't want to paint with a broad brush (here it comes though) but a lot of them sound like whiny f***s who can't understand how a country could dare to be different than the US.

So I'm wondering what your experience of American expats is because judging by those forums and the many many youtube videos they put up they seem to be quite annoying. I understand that way more Americans go over to teach in Korea so obviously generalising is unfair but what were your experiences?

I met the love of my life who is an American in Korea. We're still together over 3 years later. Honestly, the amount of people that I've met who are ignorant to Americans in Korea is huge. Yes, there are annoying Americans, but there are annoying Irish people, British people, South Africans, Australians and Canadians. The worst kind of people I met in Korea as expats were the small minded ones. Seriously though, you're going to teach in a new country with a totally different culture (believe me, Korean culture is much more grating than American culture) so you might want to try being a little bit open minded.

Yes, people on Dave's are complainers. How do you know they are American? A lot as far as i know are British. The main problem with people on Dave's is that they are lifers. They have been in Korea for ages and hate it but don't leave for whatever reason. You'll meet all nationalities that have fallen into that.

It's not the Bush years anymore, I really thought America bashing had gone out of style. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Conzea

Ah yeah you're probably right I do sound a little small minded. I was just surprised how small minded the posters were complaining how things weren't exactly the same as in the US. All they seemed to want to do in Korea was to recreate the US by going to American food chains and shops and then complain how things were not 100% as convenient.

To be fair I found other threads where people were pointing out the positives of Korea and I got the sense that the complaining was mainly just venting so I was a little harsh. I was asking because I've made friends with Americans's who are doing a semester or a year in college in Dublin and they were sound so I was checking them teaching in Korea wasn't a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭irishrepeat2

Why is EPIK/South Korea looking more appealing to you now? What are you hoping to get out of the experience of teaching abroad?

I don't know anything really about SABIS/UAE, but have taught in Korea (though not with EPIK).

My motivations for going was mainly financial. I wanted to save a fair bit of money while having a comfortable lifestyle. And that was very achievable.

Let us know some specific questions and we can give you our thoughts :-)

Im a science student interested in trying something different. I can go during the summer for 4 months or take a year out or whatnot after graduation.

Like anyone I don't have much money but anything over breaking even is grand. I wana have the experience more so and not lose money.

But yet any advise in doing that if its even possible and what qualifications I'd need?

Any advice would be brilliant.

Im a science student interested in trying something different. I can go during the summer for 4 months or take a year out or whatnot after graduation.

Hi Irishrepeat. Unfortunately, you won't get a job unless you have a degree (that you need to get apostilled along with a copy of your sealed transcripts and CRC.)

Even if you did have a degree you'd also find it hard to get a four month contract, 99% of contracts are for 12 months.

PS: When you say you're a science student I'm presuming you're an undergrad, if you're a postgrad; apologies!

Hope this helps

Hi Irishrepeat. Unfortunately, you won't get a job unless you have a degree (that you need to get apostilled along with a copy of your sealed transcripts and CRC.)

Even if you did have a degree you'd also find it hard to get a four month contract, 99% of contracts are for 12 months.

PS: When you say you're a science student I'm presuming you're an undergrad, if you're a postgrad; apologies!

Hope this helps
    thanks for the advice.ah Il be done in 2 years.

I dont mind going for a year in the slightest its just it might look strange on my cv when I leave me science area for a year.

do you think its worth it to experience the culture etc?

Yeah definitely worth the experience, but it depends on what you mean by culture, on what lines?

Ps, if you're into it, there's a Gaelic football league here between the 3 big cities and plenty of soccer leagues for foreigners

I guess id like to try something thats a challenge. be an affordable way to travel long distance too.

should probably look into it later on in my degree.

Thanks a lot mate. need advice give us a buzz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Nymeria

Hey, just wondering if anyone can give me some help or ideas.... I'm looking into going to Korea early next year and have just started the process of sorting out documents etc.

I have looked through quite a few pages on this thread (apologies if I have missed it) but haven't seen anyone mention the process of getting a UK degree notarised/ apostilled.
    I got my degree in Edinburgh, I'm now back in Ireland, and wondering if anyone knows what I need to do. I will have to fly over to Edinburgh some time next month anyway, so should I email my university and ask them for more copies of my degree transcripts? Do I then get them apostilled here, or does it have to be in the country that I studied?

Thanks.

Advertisement