Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl in South Korea

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

The whole phones not working thing confuses me, the iPhone is out over there, surely mine will work over there too, right? It's apparently on the SHOW network which is a part of Korea Telecom...Don't want to have to part with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Considering this myself if I can't find subbing work in Éire!

Can I ask- say on average, how much money can you hope to have saved up by the end of the year if you've seen it through to the end of the contract? (just based on average salary)

And.... can you do a 6 month stretch or do you absolutely have to sign up for 12 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

Most gigs are for a year although it's not unheard of to have the odd one with a six-month contract.

I came across something a few months ago as well, a government-sponsored/public school program for people without a degree (you have to have two years of a degree course done though and meet all the other usual requirments). Pay is a bit lower as well but there are six-month contracts available. Damned if I can remember it properly now but there's definitely a website out there somewhere, maybe some of the other folks here can point you in the right direction, or tell you if I have anything incorrect there.

As regards saving money, people already in Korea say you could live fairly well and come home with about 9k saved after a year. It all depends on how you want to live the year over there, you might even save more but personally I think it'd be a waste to spend a year abroad and be scrimping and saving all the time.

cloneslad wrote: »
    Actually, now that I think about it more. (my current netbooks charger is an all in one plug) but some chargers such as my g.f's dell laptop comes with a chrger split in two pieces, with a seperate cable running from the power brick into the plug socket. If yours has this then you can easily go into any of the local knick knack stores here and buy the exact same connecting part but with a korean plug on the end of it. this will save you from having to carry an adapter connected to an already big plud, this can also be done with playstations and x-boxes providing they have the power brick.
    Cheers Cloneslad, yep the laptop already has the power brick so all I need is either the different cable with the two-pin plug or alternatively, the two-pin adapter. The power brick takes care of the voltage and frequency difference, as I understand it, and I think after further investigation that most of my stuff will work at 220 V or whatever.

Sure as long as the laptop can be fired up I'll be alright.

Seriously though, all this electrical confusion, my head Hertz.:p

*Runs*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

rivalius13 wrote: »
    The whole phones not working thing confuses me, the iPhone is out over there, surely mine will work over there too, right? It's apparently on the SHOW network which is a part of Korea Telecom...Don't want to have to part with it!

yes they do have the iphone over here and yes you can take yours over here with you.

but

you can stop calling it an iphone and start calling it an itouch as soon as you land because you won't be able to make or receive calls on it. (unless you have the skype app and connect to a wireless network).

The phones over here are on a closed network, it's not like back home when you can take your phone abroad and connect to a different network through roaming. They don't use sim cards for most phones and networks can not be accessed through roaming....at all....no way around this!!

I have my phone here with me and it will work in china, philippines and loads of other countries but it will not work in korea.

• Advertisement

The 6 month job is for people who have completed only 2 years of a bachelors degree from a recognised 3rd level college/uni. It was set up by the government 2-3 years ago and is called TaLK (teaching and learning in kore) it is not for people who have already completed their degree as they can apply through EPIK and get a public school job there plus you only get 1.5million a month so it would be crazy to do it.

Also, with public / private school jobs for those eligible for an E2 visa you can come to korea anytime throughout the year when you find a job the TaLK program only has 2 hiring sessions per year.

for more info for those with only 2 years completed check this out for more information: LINK

as for saving money. It all depends on what you earn, where you live and how you like to enjoy yourself. also if you get a good number of days off for holidays then you will spend money travelling.

most first timers will start on 2.1-2.2 mill a month.

lets lake 2.2 million as an example.

deduct 200,000 for tax, pension, insurance etc etc
    then 100,000 for bills per month
    that will leave you with 1.9million.

you would be doing really well to spend 1.9 million a month. Even going out drinking most weekends (social drinking, not whiskey . brandy drinking) you would do well to even spend 900,000 of that per month.

I reckon with enjoying yourself, eating out and having fun you could easily save anywhere between 1.1 and 1.4million a month.

so if you go with with saving approx 1.3 a month for 12 months plus 2million bonus at the end of your contract (minus tax etc)

you could save 17.6million a year.

thats without buying a few luxuries / unplanned things / vacations here and there so I would deduct perhaps 3 million of that for those.

it would give you about 14.6 million in savings

which according to xe.com today is about €9500 for the year.

None of these figures account for any overtime you may get throughout the year. (I work special classes in winter and summer, 3 a day for 4 weeks, which give me and extra 2.4million)

myself, I will be happy enough if I have more than 8k after the year in savings, (I don't drink but I also believe in enjoying myself and not worrying about money) it will allow me to go travelling around s.e. asia when I finish and also go home with a nice amount leftover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Thanks folks! Well I can understand how some people go for the chance of a year abroad and to earn money and get more travel in on their holiday breaks, etc. but for me I would be only considering this for the money I'd save so say 9-10k wouldn't really be enough of an incentive for me this year anyway! I've already done the backpacking thing so my motives are purely about the money!! :)

And I think those figures are right, even if I'm not travelling as much as some while there.. it'd definitely be hard to come back with any more than 14-15k.

Is there any more money to be earned in Dubai/Japan maybe?

pog it wrote: »
    Thanks folks! Well I can understand how some people go for the chance of a year abroad and to earn money and get more travel in on their holiday breaks, etc. but for me I would be only considering this for the money I'd save so say 9-10k wouldn't really be enough of an incentive for me this year anyway! I've already done the backpacking thing so my motives are purely about the money!! :)

And I think those figures are right, even if I'm not travelling as much as some while there.. it'd definitely be hard to come back with any more than 14-15k.

Is there any more money to be earned in Dubai/Japan maybe?

Teaching in Japan (In the JET program) is difficult to get in to and to add further ballache, it takes about a year to sort out the application and visa issues.

You will also have to pay for your own accomodation in Japan and things are more expensive there too.

As for Dubai, you will need to have a teaching degree to get a look in plus you will then have to compete against loads others with experience in the field too.

I'm sure you could save 12-13k in Korea if you wanted. 2.0 x 13 is 26million for the year after tax plus your one month severance pay.

26 million is €17,200 with today's exchange rate.

that would give you 4 grand or so over the year to spend how you so wish.

4k is slightly over 6,000,000won, so you would have 500,000won a month to spend how you so wish.

It could def be done and considering this does not account for any special camps or overtime you could accrue then it would be more than possible. I just know that I couldn't be bothered sticking to a budget over here because for me, coming back to Korea again was just a way to ride out the boredom of nothing to do after graduating from the masters and not getting a good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Hi,

This is a great thread with some really useful info. Thanks to all especially those currently based in Korea.

Anyway i'm currently preparing to leave in a few days to work on the EPIK programme for the first time.

I just have 2 questions to those who might be able to help me.

1. Would it be recommended that I bring teaching books or resouces, if so what would be useful?

2. Not related to teaching but more to life in Korea, what is the story with bedsheets and pillows? :D Is it recommended that I bring my own? As from my research 'western style bedding' is not available or extremely expensive, is this true?

Regards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

FlashD wrote: »
    Hi,

This is a great thread with some really useful info. Thanks to all especially those currently based in Korea.

Anyway i'm currently preparing to leave in a few days to work on the EPIK programme for the first time.

I just have 2 questions to those who might be able to help me.

1. Would it be recommended that I bring teaching books or resouces, if so what would be useful?

2. Not related to teaching but more to life in Korea, what is the story with bedsheets and pillows? :D Is it recommended that I bring my own? As from my research 'western style bedding' is not available or extremely expensive, is this true?

Regards :)

Good to hear that you are moving out here. Yes I would suggest bringing a couple, general ESL books that gives you some tips or practical advice how to teach English. A grammar book might be useful too. To be honest a lot of information can be got from the web but having a book or two shows the co-workers and management that you at least look the business.

I would buy sheets in Korea. There are not expensive at all and if you are taking over from someone and essentially sleeping in their bed do you really want to use their sheets and pillows??!!! Once you come to Korea there are lots of bedding shops around and they are not expensive at all. Besides the weather is pretty hot now so I do not use a blanket (actually for more than half a year I don't use a blanket in Korea).

Good luck on the job and let you know how you get on.

• Advertisement

Teaching in Japan (In the JET program) is difficult to get in to and to add further ballache, it takes about a year to sort out the application and visa issues.

You will also have to pay for your own accomodation in Japan and things are more expensive there too.

As for Dubai, you will need to have a teaching degree to get a look in plus you will then have to compete against loads others with experience in the field too.

I'm sure you could save 12-13k in Korea if you wanted. 2.0 x 13 is 26million for the year after tax plus your one month severance pay.

26 million is €17,200 with today's exchange rate.

that would give you 4 grand or so over the year to spend how you so wish.

4k is slightly over 6,000,000won, so you would have 500,000won a month to spend how you so wish.

It could def be done and considering this does not account for any special camps or overtime you could accrue then it would be more than possible. I just know that I couldn't be bothered sticking to a budget over here because for me, coming back to Korea again was just a way to ride out the boredom of nothing to do after graduating from the masters and not getting a good job.

I remember that with my first paycheck in Korea I bought a digital camera for 600k won. Other than that I saved a lot, sending the bones of 5,000 Euros back to my bank account in Ireland (I got paid 1.8 million in those days). Korea is definitely the place to come to if you want to save money.

Pog it, if you have to pay off some debt or only going to stay here a year and want to make lots of cash you could work various side jobs (privates, another school, companies class, etc) although they are technically illegal. Basically, where ever you go you can make money, it just depends if it allowed by the state or not. If you do not care about the risks and are careful the you could make an easy 4+ million won a monthand send it to Ireland but if you got caught then they would surely fine you and kick you out. Depends on how desperate you are I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

I have been applying for jobs for about 6 weeks now with mixed fortunes. I got no offers for the first 3 weeks or so and lately I have been getting quite a few. I've turned down these for various reasons - illegal contracts, rural locations, dodgy recruiters etc. I am hoping to get over there during September or, at the latest, early October.

Can anyone help me with some location information?

I am trying to get a place in Seoul or Busan but everyone seems to have the same idea. I have no problem living outside Seoul (within 1 hour) or outside Busan (Gimhae-type distance). With the flood of applicants is this still achievable? I have been offered Gwang Ju and am considering it at the moment (too isolated?). I was also contacted about Bundang which I would definitely take.

Anyone know about Daegu and Daejeon for foreign teachers?

Also, with regards to TigerEnglish - I signed up with them months ago, did the TEFL course they recommended, and emailed the recruiter numerous times. They contacted me about 1 job in the middle of nowhere and nothing since.

So, the process from beginning to end, how long does it all take? I went down to the Gardai last Friday to get my background check dealy sorted out, will give the university a shout tomorrow to look into the proof of degree that they're looking for nowadays.

I'm guessing asking which company is best isn't a great question since it's subjective and it's not like you'll be able to compare multiple ones really...

Oh, yea, applying to public schools, I see their intake is in February, are public schools a viable option for a first timer? Or are they sought after because of the nicer holidays and such? I'd like to get to Incheon since I have a few friends over there and figure it would help with assimilation into the whole thing.

I have been applying for jobs for about 6 weeks now with mixed fortunes. I got no offers for the first 3 weeks or so and lately I have been getting quite a few. I've turned down these for various reasons - illegal contracts, rural locations, dodgy recruiters etc. I am hoping to get over there during September or, at the latest, early October.

Can anyone help me with some location information?

I am trying to get a place in Seoul or Busan but everyone seems to have the same idea. I have no problem living outside Seoul (within 1 hour) or outside Busan (Gimhae-type distance). With the flood of applicants is this still achievable? I have been offered Gwang Ju and am considering it at the moment (too isolated?). I was also contacted about Bundang which I would definitely take.

Anyone know about Daegu and Daejeon for foreign teachers?

Also, with regards to TigerEnglish - I signed up with them months ago, did the TEFL course they recommended, and emailed the recruiter numerous times. They contacted me about 1 job in the middle of nowhere and nothing since.

There are some places right outside Seoul which are very close; Yong-in, Ansan, Anyang, Suwon and Bundang, which you mentioned. The communities in the smaller cities farther outside of Seoul, such as Daegu and Daejeon do have smaller expat groups but in general they seem to be closer or tighter compared to Seoul or the nearby cities. It depends on your style.

My first year was in the countryside, a small town of 30,000 people with 3 other native English teachers and although it had some good points, I regret that I didn't go to a bigger city. Any place that is around 500,000 or more will be decent enough, if you are near Seoul then even better, although if you wish to save a lot of money, being nearby Seoul isn't such a good idea. In the end it depends on your personality and I would say go for a decent size city to place it safe.

rivalius13 wrote: »
    So, the process from beginning to end, how long does it all take? I went down to the Gardai last Friday to get my background check dealy sorted out, will give the university a shout tomorrow to look into the proof of degree that they're looking for nowadays.

I'm guessing asking which company is best isn't a great question since it's subjective and it's not like you'll be able to compare multiple ones really...

Oh, yea, applying to public schools, I see their intake is in February, are public schools a viable option for a first timer? Or are they sought after because of the nicer holidays and such? I'd like to get to Incheon since I have a few friends over there and figure it would help with assimilation into the whole thing.

I am not sure about how long it takes now but with regards to your last paragraph I think going for a public school position is a great starting point. Even better than an institute or private school in my experience and opinion.

Well lads and ladies, it seems like I'm finally over the hill. Did my embassy interview today and picking up my passport on Friday, flying out for a (hopefully) good gig in Ansan next Tuesday.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who made such valuable contributions to this thread, it's been immensely helpful since I kicked all this off last June. You're all bleedin' great altogether so cheers and if I run into any of ye over there, I'll stand you a pint or three. I might even force you to drink Cloneslad!:)

Well lads and ladies, it seems like I'm finally over the hill. Did my embassy interview today and picking up my passport on Friday, flying out for a (hopefully) good gig in Ansan next Tuesday.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who made such valuable contributions to this thread, it's been immensely helpful since I kicked all this off last June. You're all bleedin' great altogether so cheers and if I run into any of ye over there, I'll stand you a pint or three. I might even force you to drink Cloneslad!:)

Great to hear! Can you tell us a little about your teaching gig? Who are you going to be teaching? How many hours? Private or public school? etc

Hope it all works out well.

I will be expecting a post in a few weeks letting us all know how you are settling in and how Kimchi and soju have destroyed your body.

If you have any problems or questions with regards to settling in or anything like that, just let us know and we will be quick to answer them, I'm sure.

As for getting me to drink...I may need a large whiskey now to help me recover from the huge state of shock I have gotten into......I can't believe what just happened......a cavan man offering to pay for stuff, it's a miracle :p

Great to hear! Can you tell us a little about your teaching gig? Who are you going to be teaching? How many hours? Private or public school? etc

Private school gig teaching 7-12 year olds, average of ten little'uns per class or thereabouts. Didn't fancy pitching myself right into the big public school classes and co-teacher thing, although I can see myself considering it if I stay on beyond my first year.
    It ticks all my boxes - hours are 2.30-9, Monday to Friday and there's an adult class that all the foreign teachers take it turns to do once a fortnight or something. I like the idea of getting some adults teaching experience without having to regularly start at stupid o'clock and finish and half-past crazy. And there's an Irish lad working in the school already and a couple of lads from England too, so it should be alright socially as well.

Bought a load of tacky stickers and a few Oireland glitter pens in town today, for the kids. It's my natural Cavan generosity kicking in again. I reckon I can double my money on them selling to the chislers, they love that stuff I heard they'd sell their granny for a leprechaun pen.:D

And yeah I've already tried kimchi here in Dublin alright. It's like eating fireworks. Jasus it's more like an endurance test than a meal.

As for you cloneslad, the real shock is when the tab comes and I've - cough cough - 'forgotten' my wallet. But besides, nobody from any of the 31 counties would ever offer to buy drink for a Monaghan man, the rate ye put that stuff away up there!

Cavanmaniac, you're missing all the craic with the fleadh! Or do the Koreans have a K-Pop equivalent? -shudder-

• Advertisement

Private school gig teaching 7-12 year olds, average of ten little'uns per class or thereabouts. Didn't fancy pitching myself right into the big public school classes and co-teacher thing, although I can see myself considering it if I stay on beyond my first year.
    It ticks all my boxes - hours are 2.30-9, Monday to Friday and there's an adult class that all the foreign teachers take it turns to do once a fortnight or something. I like the idea of getting some adults teaching experience without having to regularly start at stupid o'clock and finish and half-past crazy. And there's an Irish lad working in the school already and a couple of lads from England too, so it should be alright socially as well.

Bought a load of tacky stickers and a few Oireland glitter pens in town today, for the kids. It's my natural Cavan generosity kicking in again. I reckon I can double my money on them selling to the chislers, they love that stuff I heard they'd sell their granny for a leprechaun pen.:D

And yeah I've already tried kimchi here in Dublin alright. It's like eating fireworks. Jasus it's more like an endurance test than a meal.

As for you cloneslad, the real shock is when the tab comes and I've - cough cough - 'forgotten' my wallet. But besides, nobody from any of the 31 counties would ever offer to buy drink for a Monaghan man, the rate ye put that stuff away up there!

they also like little coins and stuff like that too, just different things they can't usually get where they are.

The korean kids love for stationary is rediculous. I have had kids buying new pencil cases to replace a pencil case as it now has a black mark on the outside of it, even though they only bought it a few days prior to this. I used to buy a pencil case at the end of august and lose it sometime in the middle of september and then that was me pencilcase-less for the rest of the school year.

Monaghan people drink because it takes away the memory of where they live :o:o
    Clones people drink because it takes away the memory that they live so close to cavan ;);)
    because I don't drink so I moved to korea :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭girvtheswerve

Hey guys, half contemplaing a trip to do some teaching.

I have a degree in english and I did an online i to i teaching course a couple of yrs ago, i also did some substitute teaching for a bit.

Would this be sufficient to get a decent job over in Korea?

Any advice appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Fretser

Hi All,

I have to say there is some really valuable information on this thread. I'm in the process of applying for jobs in Sth Korea right now. I haven't decided where i would like to teach just yet.

I am doing my TEFL course now with i to i and have worked in engineering for the past 5 yrs.

I have a question. Are the requirements for visa application changing after September 01st this year? I heard that they no longer require a coy of a degree or transcript of results. Instead i heard that they are looking for a letter from the college verifying the course i attended which then has to get an Apostille stamp.

Is this correct?

Hey guys, half contemplaing a trip to do some teaching.

I have a degree in english and I did an online i to i teaching course a couple of yrs ago, i also did some substitute teaching for a bit.

Any advice appreciated

once you have a degree then you will most likely get a job unless there is something completely wrong with you or you don't try hard enough to secure a position.

Getting a job where you want to get one can be more difficult however.

I would suggest getting in touch with as many recruiters as posible if you are looking for a hagwon job. The more people you have working for you, the beeter chance you have of securing a good job in your favoured location.

You could also look at some of the classified on davesels, pusanweb and craiglist.

Be careful and be sure to research the school. Don't just take the 1st job that comes along because you think you might not get anywhere else. Ask to speak to current teachers through e-mail or on the phone, or even both.

Oh, and goodluck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Requirements to teach in Korea.

Korean government Visa requirement: Degree in anything. Be a native English speaker.

Employer requirement: Have a pulse.

It's more than sufficient.

Fretser wrote: »

I have a question. Are the requirements for visa application changing after September 01st this year?

Is this correct?

The following is the release of changes

Conversation teacher(E-2) related system improvement notice.

1. Aim of improvement.
    When first applying for the visa status for the first time, although it takes some time we will verify the qualification thoroughly. After the verification is done the related procedure will be greatly simplified.

2. The details
    ○ Criminal background check reinforcement
    - A criminal background check from your own country's government which covers the whole country's information is required.
    - According to the Korean immigration law a criminal background check from the Korean Ambassador of your country will not be accepted.(But, if the document is issued by the verification of your own government and it is proved, the document will be exceptionally accepted.)
    - Until 2010.12.31 the criminal background check from either central government, local government or the Ambassador in other country except Korea will be accepted. But, when the time applying for alien registration or the next sojourn related application is made, you will have to hand in the criminal back ground check which is nation wide version.
    - Foreign conversation teacher(E-2) who came into Korea before 2010.7.15 and does not fit in the required condition of the changed regulation of handing in the Criminal Background Check document, which covers the whole country's information. Foreigner must hand in the sufficient document the immigration office requires. After 2011.1.1 if foreigner makes an application related to sojourn(extension, workplace transfer, visa status transfer, activities beyond the limits of current status) should hand in the sufficient document. The Criminal Background Check document is required once during the foreigner's Korea sojourn period.
    *caution: Although the sojourn related application is made before 2011.1.1, and the expiration date of the foreigner's visa status is after 2011.1.1 should also hand in the sufficient document to the foreigner's local immigration office by the time the application is made.

○ The change of 'self verification of the original diploma' system
    - Starting from 2010.9.1
    applying for the visa issuance number and sojourn related work(extension, workplace transfer, visa status transfer, activities beyond the limits of current status)should hand in a diploma copy or a obtained degree certificate or a graduation certificate, which has gotten a apostille stamp or a verification from the Korean consulate of the foreigner's own country or a verification from the Korean Council for University Education to the immigration office. The document is required once during the foreigner's Korea sojourn period.
    *caution: Although the sojourn related application is made before 2010.9.1, and the expiration date of the foreigner's visa status is after 2010.9.1 should also hand in the sufficient document to the foreigner's local immigration office by the time the application is made.
    * The original rule for submitting the original diploma and sealed transcript system will be abolished.(from 2010.9.1)
    * Submitting the sealed transcript will be omitted.(from 2010.9.1)

○ The simplification of required documents of re-applying for a certificate of visa issuance approval
    - Criminal background check
    · Those who had stayed overseas under 3months to issue a visa status can omit the document.(If staying over 3month overseas, the document should be submitted when the foreigner applies alien registration.)
    - Certificate of obtain degree
    · Those who submitted a verified document can omit it.

○ An additional sojourn period when applying for a certificate of visa issuance approval.
    - When the visa status is issued, additional 1month (term of contract+ 1month) will be added to the term of a contract.(within maximum 2 years)
    * Example) When applying for a certificate of visa issuance approval. after making 1year contract between a teacher and the employer, teacher will get additional 1month from the ending date of the contract.

○ Marijuana test is added to the drug test list.
    - Since the crime related to Marijuana is happening again and again, Cannabinoid test has been added to the drug test list.
    * List of medical check : To check the fact of taking drugs such as Philopon, Heroin, Meta Amphetamine, Amphetamine, Marijuana etc. TBPE test and Cannabinoid test should be taken.

○ Medical check can only be done in specific hospitals.
    - For the reliance of the result of the drug test the headquarters of immigration is going to select a specific hospital which has a perfect system for the drug test.
    - To select a specific hospital the headquarters of immigration will get help from the Ministry of Public Welfare of Korea. Hospitals which have perfect check system will get the priority of the selection. And to give less difficulty for those who live far the selection will be made near every local immigration offices. Also official announcement will be made.
    * In the closest future medical check document will be accepted when they are from the selected hospitals.

○ A revision of HIV infected people regulations.
    - By the regulation, just because of the reason infected to HIV, no rejection will happen when applying for a certificate of visa issuance approval or get their visa status canceled or will not be forced to leave Korea.(from 2010.7.15)

For further information contact the immigration call center (1345 without district number)

The small text with the strikethrough does not apply to you as a first time visa applicant.

you are correct with what you said about your transcripts not being needed any more, this has been done away with.

You are also correct (kind of) with not needing the copy of your degree as you can just get a letter from your university / college but the copy of the degree is the easiest thing to get, rather than having to go to the college / university and get them to create a letter then get it appostilled / notarised etc.

Just photocopy your original degree, and get it apostilled/ notarised. It is much easier than having to deal with the admins in the uni and will be a hell of a lot quicker too.

the entire regulations for the new visa application process can be found here

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭sweetthing

Anyone have any recommendations on recruiters beside tiger English? Have applied with them but although they have been on regular contact with my mate and I they have said that it could be 2-3 months which worries us. have also been in touch with people recruit.com who we haven't heard from in months (no joke-they're worse than useless!), teachkoreans.com who advised us it would be tricky to get work in the major cities we'd prefer (although at this stage we'd accept any old place) and footprintsrecruiting.com who advised us to wait till the next public school intake of teachers in february of next year (not a hope of waiting that long)...so has anyone got the details of a recruiter that has helped them sort out work, it would be really appreciated! Really seems to be quite a lot harder to get work recently than from what I've been hearing off people before...definitely not a case of if you've a pulse, you've a job anymore!

sweetthing wrote: »
    Anyone have any recommendations on recruiters beside tiger English? Have applied with them but although they have been on regular contact with my mate and I they have said that it could be 2-3 months which worries us. have also been in touch with people recruit.com who we haven't heard from in months (no joke-they're worse than useless!), teachkoreans.com who advised us it would be tricky to get work in the major cities we'd prefer (although at this stage we'd accept any old place) and footprintsrecruiting.com who advised us to wait till the next public school intake of teachers in february of next year (not a hope of waiting that long)...so has anyone got the details of a recruiter that has helped them sort out work, it would be really appreciated! Really seems to be quite a lot harder to get work recently than from what I've been hearing off people before...definitely not a case of if you've a pulse, you've a job anymore!

If you try www.worknplay.co.kr you might find some decent jobs and recruiters. Actually, there are a lot of smaller recruiters there who naturally have to try harder to fill up the jobs so it might be better for you. The bigger the company then the more applications they have to go through. A smaller company might be more effective.

It's true that the majority of public schools have hired by now and the next intake will be early next year (Korea's school year starts in March) but I am sure that there are still a few schools who didn't find a teacher yet and also some schools have after school programs too. However, to be honest, if you want to really get a job in Korea quickly then I think you have to bite the bullet and come over here first. Except for my first job, I was in Korea for all other jobs. It's a good advantage.

Being in country helps your application a lot and I am sure that many schools and recruiters consider it a great advantage that they will send you to Japan for a visa run rather than paying a full ticket to Ireland and back. Also, being here helps you see what's going on, meet the manager/owner face-to-face, look around the school, get to know the area, start networking, etc. All difficult to do from Ireland.

That's my advice if you want to start work soon. To be honest the teaching market seems to be getting flooded so naturally people in country have more preference than others.

Be careful and be sure to research the school. Don't just take the 1st job that comes along because you think you might not get anywhere else. Ask to speak to current teachers through e-mail or on the phone, or even both.

I totally agree about taking the 1st job that comes your way comment.

It's amazing how many people grab the first thing they see. I do not know if it is desperation, lack of funds, job conditions seem too good to be true or a combination of them all but it seems that some people can be a little impatient and bullied into taking a position. If the recruiter is saying "take the job quickly before it goes" or "it's down to two people and you are one of them, hurry hurry and sign the contract!" Do not be under any illusions. They are hired to get a teacher as quickly as possible but you do not have to jump at the first job you see.

Type the recruiter's email address into Yahoo or Google and see how long they have been advertising that job. Very possible that it has been a while.

So take your time and pick your job carefully. Make sure that you are confident with your decision at the end of the day. It's a big step to come to Korea and if a recruiter keeps pushing you or trying to rush you then you are better off with another recruiter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭cassi

However, to be honest, if you want to really get a job in Korea quickly then I think you have to bite the bullet and come over here first. Except for my first job, I was in Korea for all other jobs. It's a good advantage.

Being in country helps your application a lot and I am sure that many schools and recruiters consider it a great advantage that they will send you to Japan for a visa run rather than paying a full ticket to Ireland and back. Also, being here helps you see what's going on, meet the manager/owner face-to-face, look around the school, get to know the area, start networking, etc. All difficult to do from Ireland.

That's my advice if you want to start work soon. To be honest the teaching market seems to be getting flooded so naturally people in country have more preference than others.

I dont think you can do this anymore for your first job. You're required to have an interview with the embassy in your home country. Im not sure of any way around it.

Advertisement