Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Do i Make My Own Website

Options
  • 24-01-2009 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi,
    I im a newbie to all this stuff so i dont really know what im doing:confused:, But i would like to make my own website and i dont know how.

Could anybody help??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

maybe read a few tutorials on html/css get some free webspace and off you go :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭the lil man

il try it now thanks alot

ive made a html but i dont know what to do with it and how can i make it a www. thing on the address bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭road_2_damascus

Yes, go onto youtube. There is tons of stuff about how to do it. I would try using Blogger first and see how you get on. It will show you how your ideas will look on screen, its he very basic idea of the concept of building a site. By the way, you will see loads of stuff about a thing called Site Build It on youtube, ignore it! Its just ads for pyramid sales in the guise of web design sofware. I use Dreamweaver, look up beginners guide to using it on youtube. I think you can download an evaluation copy (30 day trial).. best of luck

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Create an index.htm or .html page, thats your homepage . Upload it to the root of your hosting server and it will act as your homepage, ie the www.yourdomain.com or ie will point to it. If you dont have hosting or a domain then you can test it offline on your own machine and get them down the line if you want. A domain is the address of the site eg www.whatever.com, hosting is the space needed to store your webpages and files. Create other pages and then link them from the homepage eg make a contact page and put some stuff on it then create a link to it from the homepage. Thats just the basics of what to do.

Have a look at www.w3schools.com for some tutorials.

• Advertisement

so are you only using html for the hole website or is that just for the start

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Well it looks like you'll have to start with HTML anyways. It's all HTML end of day but server side scripting can be used to generate it dynamically.

Like Axwell mentioned, take a look at www.w3schools.com

You will also have to get familiar with how sites are hosted. You can't just magically turn it into www.yoursite etc. You will have to purchase a hosting package for this.

You don't need to host the site anywhere at moment, make it first then host it. You are getting ahead of yourself trying to host it. Get to know HTML first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

The others have proberly told you most of how to make a website, but i will tell ya how anyway!

1: a domain is a website address (URL) like www.google.ie for exmple.
    2: a server is where your website is stored,
    3. a host stores your website on their server.

what i would do is: get wysiwyg (what you see is what you get) html editing software like: microsoft expression web 2/3 (costs money) then in time, learn some html which you can use on expression web aswell.

or you could use Notepad (its on your computer if you have windows) and download a FPT uploader for free, and buy host and domain (€50 quid from a US host), publish! and your website is finished!

hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I'm finding Codelobster fairly useful as an editor, and FileZilla's great for FTP.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Tim M-U wrote: »
    or you could use Notepad (its on your computer if you have windows)

If your gonna use notepad go for notepad++ its free and has lots of features for coding such as syntax highlighting - much better than notepad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Where are you at now? Have you got a .html file with a few tags?

Open it in a browser. Then make changes to the text of the file in notepad or whatever, save, then refresh the browser to see the changes you made. (there's a lot of that)

As the others said, in order for it to be accessible to everyone on the internet via www it has to be hosted on a remote server with a hosting company. You can get your own domain name and have it pointing at your website on that hosting server so when people type www.yourdomain.com into a browser they are served your files. Learn more html offline first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Hi,
    I im a newbie to all this stuff so i dont really know what im doing:confused:, But i would like to make my own website and i dont know how.

Could anybody help??
    What type of website do you want to have? What will you be putting on it? Why do you want a website? Who are you? What's your background? Have you any technical or programming experience? Are you interested in learning any of the technical stuff or would you rather avoid it?

Seriously. How do you expect us to help you without telling us more about your needs.

p wrote: »
    What type of website do you want to have? What will you be putting on it? Why do you want a website? Who are you? What's your background? Have you any technical or programming experience? Are you interested in learning any of the technical stuff or would you rather avoid it?

Seriously. How do you expect us to help you without telling us more about your needs.

i wanted to become an affiliate marketer and i know there is a lot of time and effort to be put in but i havent yet. i wanted to learn how to create websites to use it for affiliate marketing. so i want to get used to how to make a website and do a few before i actualy start. i have no technical or programming experience:(

Believe me it can take years of practice to get to a professional stage. It's a long road - dont' mean to put you off but you won't magically start making websites and if you are very serious and doing it as a business, I might suggest find someone that can make websites and you stick to business sides of things while you get to grips in your own time

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Believe me it can take years of practice to get to a professional stage. It's a long road - dont' mean to put you off but you won't magically start making websites and if you are very serious and doing it as a business, I might suggest find someone that can make websites and you stick to business sides of things while you get to grips in your own time

i would just like to be able to get a few bob off it every now and again as an extra help

That's fair enough, but its a difficult business. Websites don't make money easily. You need serious traffic in order to get any affiliated purchases. Best luck with it though :)

and how would i get traffic to it
    and do you build websites yourself??

and how would i get traffic to it

You can't get just traffic to come. You must have an attraction to get them to come to your site. It might take years to build up a website that people would go to often. You could always pull a stunt like http://www.milliondollarhomepage.com/ ;) - I personally wouldn't waste my time. Getting traffic is not an easy thing.
    and do you build websites yourself??

I do indeed

alright.
    thx for all your help

i wanted to become an affiliate marketer and i know there is a lot of time and effort to be put in but i havent yet. i wanted to learn how to create websites to use it for affiliate marketing. so i want to get used to how to make a website and do a few before i actualy start. i have no technical or programming experience:(
    Ok. I would start by setting up a blog on wordpress.com and start to write some interesting articles and generate some traffic. That would be a good start for someone with your angle. It's a good way to dip your toe in the water and get online quickly! :)

• Advertisement

p wrote: »
    Ok. I would start by setting up a blog on wordpress.com and start to write some interesting articles and generate some traffic. That would be a good start for someone with your angle. It's a good way to dip your toe in the water and get online quickly! :)

ok and do you do it yourself and if so did you start this way

ok and do you do it yourself and if so did you start this way
    I'm a web designer, so I design sites for people who need my skills. I don't try make money directly from the web myself.

I started by learning HTML & CSS, and then by learning about design over a number of years during which I worked in various companies with skilled developers that I could work with to build what the client needed.

alright thx
    do you know any free domain name sites

tk domains

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

What! Forget all that css/html stuff if you are totally new to it.

Look into wordpress and joomla or some of the other simple cms's

Unless you are planning a career in web design or get very seriosuly into it as a hobby etc - there is no point in taking years to learn languages if all you want is a website!

Zascar wrote: »
    What! Forget all that css/html stuff if you are totally new to it.

Look into wordpress and joomla or some of the other simple cms's

Unless you are planning a career in web design or get very seriosuly into it as a hobby etc - there is no point in taking years to learn languages if all you want is a website!

alright thats just what i wanted to hear:D
    thx alot

how is this for a start http://killiandavis.wordpress.com

how is this for a start http://killiandavis.wordpress.com

So you have two affiliate links up for starters from your blog. Have to say i clicked on the first one and I cant stand those ones that say are you sure you want to leave when you click away from the site and give you a pop up box, then it says do you want to speak to someone about a special offer...its at this stage i just sht down the browser and never go back to the site that lead me there, not the best approach to get traffic or keep it.

Axwell wrote: »
    So you have two affiliate links up for starters from your blog. Have to say i clicked on the first one and I cant stand those ones that say are you sure you want to leave when you click away from the site and give you a pop up box, then it says do you want to speak to someone about a special offer...its at this stage i just sht down the browser and never go back to the site that lead me there, not the best approach to get traffic or keep it.

alright thx for the heads up!
    What affilliate sites would get the best traffic. like what products

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

If you've no design skills but want to get going quickly you could have a look at something like DevHub.

I only came across it this morning (and saw the word affiliates) so can't vouch for it.

It is probably best to build your own.

Advertisement