Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House building costs around the country - Mod warning in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 angela59

galwaytt wrote: »
    On face value, you are correct.

However, buying used, you are still buying used. It more than likely will not be an efficient home, in terms of current building standards (BER, etc), so the headline figure will be low (purchase), and the cost to run, high. It's long-term value will always be towards the bottom of the market.

I know of one house, 3900 sq ft 'traditional build' - built inside the last two years, and it's heating bill is €3,300 per annum........you truly do get what you pay for......

Even spending the same money on a new, maybe even smaller house, built to the best standards will make it both a cheaper and more comfortable place to live, with lower running cost, and, if you're worried about such thing's, the prospects for it's valuation, down the road, is much better.

As for cost's right now - I'm seeing A2 and higher houses coming in, on client's finished houses, in the region of € 1,000 - €1,300 per square metre. This is complete, turn-key, c/w Solar, UFH, MHRV, Hi-Spec windows (imported ), Rainwater Harvesting, all interior decoration and fit-out.

Was in just such a one last Saturday (360sq m), for the first time since the client's moved in. Ambient temp inside 20deg C, no heat on (not required), energy bill for Sept - Jan was €50 in LPG and 184 litres of oil (AGA). Compare that to the build I mention above........

Firstly heating bill E3300 sounds very execessive, I live in 2800 sq foot house built 18 years ago and oil would be E1000 to be E1500 per annum, sticks coal would be about E720 per annum. We have an AGA which would run through easily 40 liters per week - I only use in December and January - very inefficient way of cooking and heating water.

With regard to what you say about houses, there are a lot of things to factor in, site be it elevated of shetered, orientation of house, size of house. I still say it is cheaper to buy a second hand house with all landscaping etc and upgrade it rather than start from scratch. Payback time on green heating be it geothermal, HRV etc etc is a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

danbohan wrote: »
    they must been on holidays with those figures , aga gives normal usage figures for 2 oven oil model of 40 litres per week !
    angela59 wrote: »
    Firstly heating bill E3300 sounds very execessive, I live in 2800 sq foot house built 18 years ago and oil would be E1000 to be E1500 per annum, sticks coal would be about E720 per annum. We have an AGA which would run through easily 40 liters per week - I only use in December and January - very inefficient way of cooking and heating water.

With regard to what you say about houses, there are a lot of things to factor in, site be it elevated of shetered, orientation of house, size of house. I still say it is cheaper to buy a second hand house with all landscaping etc and upgrade it rather than start from scratch. Payback time on green heating be it geothermal, HRV etc etc is a long time.

Ye're figure of 40l week ties in close enough with the usage I've posted. Still sounds barking mad to me though, to spend that much running a cooker that's not connected to anything.......

It's not the first time I've come across this, either: I know someone with and electric AGA and it costs a fortune to run as well.

Angela - if you're heating that size, in that age house, to current comfort levels, you're doing very well. Go out in to the market though, and you have no idea what you'll end up with.........and whilst you say payback on an efficient house may never come back to you, I respectfully disagree - you're forgetting that energy is set to increase, ad nauseam..........in the same vein - how can anyone justify say, an AGA for 2 mths a year use, and at 40litres/week, as well ........?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Angela - if you're heating that size, in that age house, to current comfort levels, you're doing very well. Go out in to the market though, and you have no idea what you'll end up with.........and whilst you say payback on an efficient house may never come back to you, I respectfully disagree - you're forgetting that energy is set to increase, ad nauseam..........in the same vein - how can anyone justify say, an AGA for 2 mths a year use, and at 40litres/week, as well ........?

galwaytt - I built house 18 years ago, AGA was installed then, oil was cheaper in those days - I wouldn't recommend anyone to install one now as I pointed out in my last point. An AGA can actually use a lot more than 40 liters per week. Oil prices are going up. I have planning permission to build and if I built in the morning what I would spend money on is insulation and more of it, windows, solar panel probably install LPG with condensing boiler with RADS rather than underfloor heating. Would not invest in geothermal, HRV etc - I have priced and researched these items and at age mid 40s payback would certainly be a long time. For the moment it does not make economic sense to sell I would not get the money I pumped into my existing house and if I built - sure it would be better ber rating but I would be a long time finishing off the house to the level I have in the existing house between interior decorating, trees, fencing - electronic gates, etc etc - those things that people don't think about when building are all big money drains.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mmc2010

Hi Angela, I find your post interesting. Why would you not invest in HRV, I would have thought payback would be short enough when the cost of running the system is so low. I'm hoping to build soon and was planning on omitting the likes of HRV and geothermal etc as I can't afford the big outlay and want to keep my mortgage down as much as possible. My husband is obsessed with getting an aga but I think we have agreed on getting a oil-fired stanley range instead, along with an oil condenser burner. Do you think this would be more efficient or am I deluding myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sorry folks but we're going off on a bit of a tangent with the last few posts. Can we get back on topic and stick with posting details of the building costs around the country - either in total or even a breakdown of the individual components. For everything else please search for a related thread or a start a new thread if necessary.

• Advertisement

mmc2010 wrote: »
    Hi Angela, I find your post interesting. Why would you not invest in HRV, I would have thought payback would be short enough when the cost of running the system is so low. I'm hoping to build soon and was planning on omitting the likes of HRV and geothermal etc as I can't afford the big outlay and want to keep my mortgage down as much as possible. My husband is obsessed with getting an aga but I think we have agreed on getting a oil-fired stanley range instead, along with an oil condenser burner. Do you think this would be more efficient or am I deluding myself!

Hi mmc2010,

I personally like opening the windows to ventilate the house and secondly the servicing of the HRV every 3 months - I was put off by what I saw on RTE'S Duncan Stewart's programme "About the House" - a lady had HRV installed, thought she was living in a extremely healthy environment until tests were carried out. The rests showed build up of bacteria, mould, and chemical fumes as the HRV wasn't serviced regularly. So a personal choice I would rather use fresh air. Also unless you are going for UFH - the HRV would go hand in hand with UFH but if going for Rads I don't see the need. You are doubling up if you are going for oil fired stanley range and going for condensing burner - the stanley has a burner which heats radiators. Would you think of going for gas instead of oil - you can order LPG in bulk now. In my existing house I purchased a waterford stanley range but it is electric oven and gas hob and it is very efficient - personally my advice would be to go for something like that and your condensing burner be it oil or gas. You are right to keep your mortgage as low as you can and have a life for yourself with interest rates increasing.

muffler wrote: »
    Sorry folks but we're going off on a bit of a tangent with the last few posts. Can we get back on topic and stick with posting details of the building costs around the country - either in total or even a breakdown of the individual components. For everything else please search for a related thread or a start a new thread if necessary.

Apologies Muffler, that is my fault!

Infraction given to angela59.

Im not posting here just for fun and I certainly dont take too kindly to people deliberately posting off topic after being asked not to. If this happens again a ban will follow.

....another cost, from a site visited 12th Feb 2011, Galway. Large contemporary design, hi spec, A2, 360 sq m / 3900 sq ft approx. Turn-key price, using a contractor, fully fitted, decorated, finished, € 498,000 = € 1383/sq m or €128/sq ft

As usual, YMMV and all that.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....another cost, from a site visited 12th Feb 2011, Galway. Large contemporary design, hi spec, A2, 360 sq m / 3900 sq ft approx. Turn-key price, using a contractor, fully fitted, decorated, finished, € 498,000 = € 1383/sq m or €128/sq ft

As usual, YMMV and all that.

might be off topic but what would current market value of that house be ?

• Advertisement

danbohan wrote: »
    might be off topic but what would current market value of that house be ?

Well, it was built inside the last 9 month's, so it's costs are current, so I don't see it being subject to a 'haircut', if that's what you mean. Basically, it'd be the cost of the house and site added together. I have no idea what the site is worth, so, add..... 75k? 100k?

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭braftery

What is the Market Value of any house ?

Example:

A cottage over looking the sea in kerry might be worth €50k to a local farmer and might be worth €500k to an American millionaire's wife.

It is the same house on the same land, the only difference is the level of desire and the depths of the pocket.

However if the owner of this house does not want or need to sell, he might not take any offer under €1 million ....

So what is the market value of the cottage over looking the sea ?

danbohan, galwaytt and braftery all banned for 3 days for posting off topic despite a clear warning being posted to stay on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

i love this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Thats a good price.

OK, 210 m2 storey and a half dwelling, no kitchen, tiling, painting, kerbing, sewerage treatment or connections included. Included are 1m footpath, 804 drive, white suites, deal fixings, DG uPVC windows and doors, knapp plaster finish to cavity walling, etc., etc.

€ 190,000

For comparison purposes:
    315 m2 single storey, no kitchen, tiling, painting, kerbing, or connections included. Included are Sewerage treatment System, well & pump, 1m footpath, 804 drive, white suites, deal fixings, DG uPVC windows (TG north facing) and doors, knapp plaster finish to cavity walling, etc., etc.

€ 245,000

kboc wrote: »
    i love this thread
    Why?

Just building extension and looking for quotations , the build is
    In mayo so how much should I expect to pay per sq ft. Want to reroof original two bedroom house changing it to tiles. One of the bedrooms is ensuite currently quoted 30k is this reasonable?
    This thread is about the actual costs to build a house in different parts of the country - a cost comparison if you like. It is not to be used for people to look for prices and has nothing to do with extensions.

Please open a new thread in the Prices/costs forum.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 NewBuildA

We are building on the Galway/Roscommon borader near Athlone. Its a 2 story house, 4 bedrooms 2,500sq ft for €160,00 with a contractor. They are providing the builders finished but the following are not included kitchen, tiling, painting, flooring, or connections like ESB etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Troy McClure

2400sq/ft. With heat pump and underfloor heating. MHRV and airtight house. 1.5 story with concrete floors. NO-flooring /tiling/ kitchen/ painting/ landscaping. Builder has excellent reputation.
    200k incl VAT.
    Opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 darkstream

Building North Louth, €225,000 inc vat. Dormer 240sqm to A3 BER rating standard. Solid Oak internal doors and staircase, UFH ground floor and radiators 1st floor run with oil. Concrete floors on both levels. Granite window cills, vista therm A rated windows, 6sqm of solar panels. Natural slates, Garage, landscaping to front and rear. Seen builders previous work and is to a very high standard.
    Doesn't include tiling, painting, flooring or kitchen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ewanalex

NewBuildA wrote: »
    We are building on the Galway/Roscommon borader near Athlone. Its a 2 story house, 4 bedrooms 2,500sq ft for €160,00 with a contractor. They are providing the builders finished but the following are not included kitchen, tiling, painting, flooring, or connections like ESB etc.

Hi Can you PM me your builder's details where you obtained this quote please, were not based too far from you in the midlands and would be curious to see what other builders in the area are quoting.

We're at the begining stages of a 1.5 storey build with large double garage. House is 250SQM or 2650SQF in total.

Quotes so far are €226000 builders finish inc VAT and Garage. Spec quoted is concrete floors upstairs UFH throughout. And top spec insulation. Kerbing is included but no landscaping.

Other quotes from 3 other builders fall inline with the above quote also, so i am guessing the quote we have received is not that bad.

?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KedRev

<SNIP>

Mod edit: The thread is for posting prices people have paid - not what it will cost to build.

Anyone looking for ideas as to the costs involved in building a new house should post in the Prices/costs forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭braftery

<SNIP>

Mod edit: See my post above

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭stephentbb2000

Completed our new build in Christmas 2009. The house was built using a contractor, it is a bungalow with a converted upstairs with Veluxs instead of dormers. Total size 2350ft, price included painting internally and externally (we provided the paint), all tiling (we provided the tiles) tripple glazing through out. The price did not include site excavation which amounted to €13,000 and extras which amounted to €10,000 nor did it include road opening fees. The cost of the build was €190,000.

Completed our new build in Christmas 2009. The house was built using a contractor, it is a bungalow with a converted upstairs with Veluxs instead of dormers. Total size 2350ft, price included painting internally and externally (we provided the paint), all tiling (we provided the tiles) tripple glazing through out. The price did not include site excavation which amounted to €13,000 and extras which amounted to €10,000 nor did it include road opening fees. The cost of the build was €190,000.
    Adding your site excavations and extras to the build cost works out about €90/sq.foot. Thats fairly good. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

Hi, hope somebody finds this helpful.
    I found a lot of info on boards.ie myself when researching my build. Thanks to all the contributors. Anyway, here goes...

House cost 180 grand (Build time: Jan 2011 to December 2011).
    270 square meters.
    Timber frame, with block outer skin, 1.5 story, 1 chimney, no garage.
    Breakdown:
    Designed myself, architect tech draw up, submit planning app ~2.6k
    Design very simple, house is mostly a box, with no intricate roofs etc
    Engineer ~1.5 - 2k oversee build.
    County council development cost 8k (ouch! - 2.5km from main road)
    Builder: Brought it to builders finish i.e. plastered inside, but no screed floor (~150k)
    Included:
    Ground fill: 5k (hilly site), , foundation 135 square meters.
    Standard timber frame, standard roof construction.
    Insulation: 300 mm rock wool in loft, 200 mm rock wool in wall. Wish I put more in (not that house is cold - its just something you can't change later)
    Also, walls were sealed with air tightness membrane and tape.
    19 Double glazing (PVC) and 2 large triple glazed (Alu) windows, Slide door (PVC), Front door (wood) back door (Glass/alu) from munster joinery ~12k
    External: Standard roof tiles, plastering etc. nothing fancy.
    Electrics, average 3 double plugs per room: 8k

After Builders finish stage (another 25k):
    Screed floor: 80mm kingspan insulation 2.5k, 1400 screed, 700euro to lay it.
    Plumbing: 9.5k, fired first plumber as he was useless (probably wasted 2 grand here - but he was worth firing for slowness, lack of engagement).
    Heating (oil): Underfloor downstairs, radiator upstairs.
    Solid oak kitchen (2nd hand): 1k, found in local newspaper (fitted myself, learned on the job)
    12 solid oak doors (2nd hand): 900euro, found online (fitted myself, learned on the job)
    8 mahogany doors (2nd hand): 250 euro, local newspaper (again fitted myself)
    A bit over a grand spent on door frames, skirting, architrave.
    About 2.5k on carpets.
    Kitchen/living room Porcelain tiles ~80 square metres ~2k (tiled myself, learned on the job)
    3xBathrooms fully tiled: ~60 square metres ~800euro
    Bathroom tanking ~600 euro on waterstop liquid, tape, adhesive, grout etc
    Bathroom fittings (Standard toilet, sink, 1xbath, 2x shower: everything bought in sales ~1k)
    Sewage: 2.5k for a Tri-cel reinforced plastic sewage plant (doesn't need to be backfilled with concrete - that saves a few quid)
    Ground-works/Paths(one side of house&front door step)/sewer pipes: 6k
    Multimedia: 25mm pipes from attic to each room. Can feed multiple aerial/sat down pipe when needed, with no breaks from satellite to tv etc.

I think I was able to pick up a lot of stuff (e.g. kitchen and doors) from people clearing out their house before bank forclosure. I couldn't believe how cheap I got the kitchen and the doors. I easily saved myself 10 grand here.

Great post kyeev. :)

Thats exactly the type of detail we like to see posted here.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 flanh

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Go read the first post in this thread flanh, particularly the bit in bold! ;)

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

flanh wrote: »
    <SNIP>
    I'm going to be consistent here. 2 weeks ban applied on the flanh account for ignoring multiple warnings not least the warning in the thread title.

Advertisement