Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recession!!how bad do you think things will go?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

A lot depends on the US at the moment. If they decide to make it more attractive for American companies to sell their IP direct from the states rather than using the Irish tax haven, then the irish economy could reach meltdown.

If they don't and we can keep hold of the likes of microsoft, Intel and HP then things may not be as bad as people make out.
    On that thought I wouldn't be surprised if these companies went back to the u.s & the u.s government tried to lure the skilled professionals in Ireland over to the u.s to work for these companies their. after all our high skilled workforce is one of the (at this stage very few) things that keep these multinationals in Ireland.
    piby wrote: »
    Mid-2009: Recession starts to take hold on all sectors of the economy
    late-2009: Irish population begins to become more and more disillusioned with faltering economy and failure of government to tackle issue
    Early-2010: Housing and banking sectors collapse completely. Civil unrest and public demonstrations grow. Government calls in Defence Forces to tackle large scale riots. Other governments around the world report similar problems
    2010-2011: Government fragments and begins to loss all influence. Is eventually toppled by rival vigilante factions who are themselves unable to keep control.
    2011-2013: General period of anarchy
    2015: Nuclear states become desperate. WWIII begins. 17 days later it is all but over.
    2018: Humanity begins to rebuild. The word 'recession' become illegal!
    i hope it never comes to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

late-2009: Irish population begins to become more and more disillusioned with faltering economy and failure of government to tackle issue
    Early-2010: Housing and banking sectors collapse completely. Civil unrest and public demonstrations grow. Government calls in Defence Forces to tackle large scale riots. Other governments around the world report similar problems
    2010-2011: Government fragments and begins to loss all influence. Is eventually toppled by rival vigilante factions who are themselves unable to keep control.
    2015: Nuclear states become desperate. WWIII begins. 17 days later it is all but over.

When does John Connors come into this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks such a situation could well unfold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

I think we can pencil him in some time around 2016/17, there's a vacuum for him to fill there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks such a situation could well unfold.

If you're so sure of it why don't you kill yourself now and get it over and done with?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

SheroN wrote: »
    If you're so sure of it why don't you kill yourself now and get it over and done with?

Because the natural human instinct is not to die, duh. Plus, a nuclear strike wouldnt be the worst way to die, so long as you got caught up in the blast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭gabigeist

Guaranteeing the bank debt bankrupts the government.
    We stop paying debt owed abroad.
    They stop selling us supplies.
    Gas and petrol shortages - leading to electricity shortages.
    Summer 2010, we'll have learnt our lesson and will be saving turf up the Dublin mountains for the coming winter.

I'm kinda looking forward to it:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I've already set a field of spuds so when all the shops have closed I'll be sorted. Ye can then barter with me, a plump chicken and a leg of lamb will get you a decent sack of spuds, might even throw in a turnip if you're sound!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 John Titor 2036

Are you from the future too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Mid 2009: More redundancies and layoffs. Irish people piss and moan but don't do anything about it. Corrupt government still laughing at everyone.
    Late 2009: General public still pissing and moaning, while sitting on their arse's doing nothing about it. Corrupt government seen to wet themselves live on TV laughing at everyone. Opposition parties start to join in the bouts of giggling.
    Mid 2010: All comes to a head when so many Irish people piss and moan about it on the internet that Ireland as a country has been IP blocked by everyone else in the world. Government gone beyond laughing, have invited the Queen of England over for tea every weekend for no reason.
    Late 2010: General election is called, everyone who has been pissing and moaning comes out in force to vote. Fianna Fail win election by landslide victory.
    2011: Ireland implodes on itself due to apathy and stupidity, first country in the world to blow itself up and wipe itself off the world map without the use of any weapon/bomb of any sort.
    2012: The Irish left living around the world start to piss and moan about not having a home country, come together and start a worldwide pissing and moaning group.
    2013: World leaders declare Irish people the cause of the worlds depression, round them up and deport them all to Antartica.
    2014: Antartic starts to melt at a ferocious rate due to the amount of Irish people now living there, pissing and moaning about the cold and lack of sun.
    2015: So much Ice/snow/whatever has melted from the Antartic that 99% of the Earth is now under water, the remaining 1% only has Irish people living on it, still pissing and moaning now about the lack of land to grow anything on and that they're all sick of eating fish.
    2016: War breaks out amongst the remaining world population of Irish people, nearly everyone dies apart from Enda Kenny who now takes it upon himself to declare himself leader of the new world. Great victory for Fine Gael and as Enda is celebrating by dancing on the shoreline, a killer whale leaps out of the water and rips his head off. The end.

Sounds about right to me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Mid 2009: More redundancies and layoffs. Irish people piss and moan but don't do anything about it. Corrupt government still laughing at everyone.
    Late 2009: General public still pissing and moaning, while sitting on their arse's doing nothing about it. Corrupt government seen to wet themselves live on TV laughing at everyone. Opposition parties start to join in the bouts of giggling.
    Mid 2010: All comes to a head when so many Irish people piss and moan about it on the internet that Ireland as a country has been IP blocked by everyone else in the world. Government gone beyond laughing, have invited the Queen of England over for tea every weekend for no reason.
    Late 2010: General election is called, everyone who has been pissing and moaning comes out in force to vote. Fianna Fail win election by landslide victory.
    2011: Ireland implodes on itself due to apathy and stupidity, first country in the world to blow itself up and wipe itself off the world map without the use of any weapon/bomb of any sort.
    2012: The Irish left living around the world start to piss and moan about not having a home country, come together and start a worldwide pissing and moaning group.
    2013: World leaders declare Irish people the cause of the worlds depression, round them up and deport them all to Antartica.
    2014: Antartic starts to melt at a ferocious rate due to the amount of Irish people now living there, pissing and moaning about the cold and lack of sun.
    2015: So much Ice/snow/whatever has melted from the Antartic that 99% of the Earth is now under water, the remaining 1% only has Irish people living on it, still pissing and moaning now about the lack of land to grow anything on and that they're all sick of eating fish.
    2016: War breaks out amongst the remaining world population of Irish people, nearly everyone dies apart from Enda Kenny who now takes it upon himself to declare himself leader of the new world. Great victory for Fine Gael and as Enda is celebrating by dancing on the shoreline, a killer whale leaps out of the water and rips his head off. The end.

Sounds about right to me...

Hehe...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

It'll get so bad we'll all be out in the RDS at Self Aid 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,956 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Perhaps Bono can convince the world banks to write off our debt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭SAVE_ME.222

Ah did you not see Cyberdene Systems are creating 3000 redundancies due to the current economic climate. Manufacturing of all t-1000+ models is being relocated to asia :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,329 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Because the natural human instinct is not to die, duh. Plus, a nuclear strike wouldnt be the worst way to die, so long as you got caught up in the blast!

Screw that. I want to be around with all the three breasted women as Total Recall has led me to believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

tribulus wrote: »
    You're very upbeat man, did you get a job :pac:

Ha, no job yet :) Ah well, fcuk it, I am not looking anymore. I might start looking in a few months, can't be arsed at this moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

as long as people keep their jobs, then the resession will be good for them i think as things will get cheaper and cheaper and its bout time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Recession? What recession?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

m83 wrote: »
    Recession? What recession?

My thoughts exactly

Look on the bright side

Employment = 92%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

schween wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly

Look on the bright side

Employment = 92%

1. Recession

2. ?????

3. Profit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

The recession is hitting me bad, my cleaning lady just got laid, I couldn't afford her AND a hooker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I can see there being riots on the streets within 6 months, maybe sooner, the level of incompetence and brass neckery leading the country is unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

DonJose wrote: »
    The recession is hitting me bad, my cleaning lady just got laid, I couldn't afford her AND a hooker.

I had to read that twice.

Hard times eh?:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Not sure why the nuclear states went crazy there, just because there was a bit of civil disturbance? Did they bomb each other just to divert public opinion, or did they actually bomb themselves in a radical, yet misguided, attempt to curb the street protests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

TBH i think we are going to see 500,000 people on the dole by the end of 2010 simply because FF don't have a clue what to do about the current climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Start applying for yizzer Chinese Visa's now.

John Titor fukk off with your doom and gloom :D

Collie D wrote: »
    Screw that. I want to be around with all the three breasted women as Total Recall has led me to believe

Google it, she already exists :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭book smarts

Ireland- Riots on the streets, Ireland kicked out of Europe, Hyperinflation, food queues, internment camps, mass emigration.

World- Desperate Saudi & China sell US bonds. Dollar collapses. Global Derivatives build up collapses. Hedge Funds collapse. Mass food shortage. US halts wheat exports. Countires halt all food exports. Riots worldwide. Revolution in China, Saudi, Mexico, Eastern Europe. India nukes Pakistan. Israel nukes Iran. US invades Canada....?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Things crappy for the rest of this year. The world is still turning, companies are still in business. They still need services, IP, IT, stationary, cleaning, vending machines, consultants. The economy will keep ticking over . Yes its tough and I hope in 6 months I still have my job, in the mean time i'm cutting back (though i'm going to the big apple in a couple of months and buying a cheap car for cash).

Have a house with the GF but the mortgage (compared to some peoples) is pretty small and we could survive fine if one of us lost our job. We've got a healthy bit of savings and hopefully its safe in the banks:eek:.

Unemployment will probably hit 12-15% by the end of the year but from mid next year I expect a slow recovery to begin. Sad thing is in 10 years or so we'll probably start this whole boom and bust cycle all over again!

And to be perfectly honest irish people in general are such doom and gloom merchants. Even during the good days we had people seeing the darkness and now their having a field day, just STFU and get on with life, this tunnel may be long but we will emerge.

Advertisement