Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recession!!how bad do you think things will go?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hopefully not much worse but I think this year is going to be really crap.
    As of yet I don't see any way out of it, no light at the end of the tunnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

recession!!how bad do you think things will go?

This bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

How are they idiots. Money has to be got into the Governments books somehow. a 1% levy is hardly the end of the world for anyone, and if it is I'd be reviewing my lifestyle/salary. I hate when people crib about how the Government are taking money off them, Do they not realise that the money has to come from somewhere and it can't all be achieved on cutbacks in expenditure.

+1

I'm sick/ was sick of the arguing over the public pay increase

I dont know who was pushing for it, but none of us wanted or needed it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Going to get worse....especially in Limerick with the 1900 Dell jobs gone by end of Jan 2010 and about 10,000 other jobs as a knock on effect.
    My sister works in an auctioneer's firm in Cork and they haven't sold a house since last July.
    She's already on a 4 day week and next week or so the place could actually be closed down.
    Thank christ I'm ok for another year or two which by that time hopefully the economy will be starting to pick up.
    Anyone thinking that the recession is going to end this year is as clearly deluded as the fools who all denied 2 years ago we were heading for one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

efla wrote: »
    +1

I'm sick/ was sick of the arguing over the public pay increase

I dont know who was pushing for it, but none of us wanted or needed it

Lots of people wanted it. I was tired of hearing

Sure the (insert public profession here) do a great job, they deserve more money. That was brought up whenever anybody was threatening strikes. When I'd ask "do you know how much they earn now?" or "do you realise this money comes from taxes?". I'd get the dull stares.

The media have a lot to do with this. If it's boring information like facts or numbers we don't get it. If it's a percentage or a sensationalist headline we get to read it.

So far in my company I've avoided a round of layoffs. Don't have any idea how long I'll keep avoiding that bullet though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

How bad will it get?
    Something like this I guess......

And in the death
    As the last few corpses lay rotting on the slimy
    thoroughfare
    The shutters lifted in inches in Temperance Building
    High on Poacher’s Hill
    And red, mutant eyes gaze down on Hunger City
    No more big wheels

Fleas the size of rats sucked on rats the size of cats
    And ten thousand peoploids split into small tribes
    Coverting the highest of the sterile skyscrapers
    Like packs of dogs assaulting the glass fronts of Love-Me Avenue
    Ripping and rewrapping mink and shiny silver fox, now legwarmers
    Family badge of sapphire and cracked emerald
    Any day now
    The Year of the Diamond Dogs

“This ain’t Rock’n’Roll
    This is Genocide”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

im not agianst the 1% im pissed off that most this is gone on a dole that has been raised by 10euro week, and before those who are unlucky to have lost work, im talkin bout those without a prsi contribution for last year who now have an extra 10euro to spend in time when everything is getting that bit cheaper its a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

manafana wrote: »
    im not agianst the 1% im pissed off that most this is gone on a dole that has been raised by 10euro week, and before those who are unlucky to have lost work, im talkin bout those without a prsi contribution for last year who now have an extra 10euro to spend in time when everything is getting that bit cheaper its a joke.

Ah of course those on the dole are better off :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There seem to be a few doom merchants trying to talk down the Euro, implying that it's going to collapse. Some obnoxious Daily Telegraph American-born journo, Janet Daley, managed to slip it in during BBC Question Time that it would be gone in 6 months time. These people should keep their fucking gobs shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Dexters16

tbh the governement have done things backwards, they should've taxed us more during the good times when the country was booming and then slashed taxes when the going got tough to get us all spending again! its simple economics but no they decided to let us get rich and not raise tax and then tax us more when we're losing jobs and going downhill! idiots is an understatement! the only way we can get out of this is to spend money in order to keep each other in jobs!

the last recession seen prices of guiness hit 1.30!!! eh i dunno bout ye but im still paying 4.00!, also prices of groceries haven't budged much at all.

what about all the cocaine they seized in cork last year?? if it was worth 500 mil then why not sell it back out and make 500 mil profit for the economy? it'd be a quick fix temporarily.

i had another good point to make but forgot it for the moment, will be back later with it.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Dexters16 wrote: »
    tbh the governement have done things backwards, they should've taxed us more during the good times when the country was booming and then slashed taxes when the going got tough to get us all spending again! its simple economics but no they decided to let us get rich and not raise tax and then tax us more when we're losing jobs and going downhill! idiots is an understatement! the only way we can get out of this is to spend money in order to keep each other in jobs!

Good point but it probably wouldn't have won them many votes. Everybody was having too much of a good time.

what about all the cocaine they seized in cork last year?? if it was worth 500 mil then why not sell it back out and make 500 mil profit for the economy? it'd be a quick fix temporarily.

They put it into the water supply in the hope that people would forget about the recession and stop giving them grief.[/QUOTE]
    i had another good point to make but forgot it for the moment, will be back later with it.....

See? It's working already

ha, so it is!! my other point was that the media have made a right c**t of things! because of them they ppl are running scared, companies not taking the risk so laying off people! i reckon for all of us to save money we should not buy these newspapers and tabloids and see how they like it!!! think if you buy a paper for 2euro each day you'll save 14euro a week! and ya wont need to be reading the b******t they try to feed us with!

also, for the last 10-15 years companies have made huge profits from the celtic tiger, surely to god they could run for one year with the current staff one a small deficit!! just cause they wont make a 40% profit margin or that they just cut jobs!

i hope the rumours are true that the polish having gone home from ireland are looking to earn the same wages as here and that Dell and the likes dont save any money by moving! speaking about dell though, a neighbour of mine worked for them and they were building that plant in poland the last 3-5 years so it was always in the pipeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Hagar wrote: »
    There's going to be some crippled child in Ethiopia with cataracts walking 12 miles to a post office to send us €2 to feed an Irish baby before this is over.

Top class.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

i reckon for all of us to save money we should not buy these newspapers and tabloids and see how they like it!!! think if you buy a paper for 2euro each day you'll save 14euro a week! and ya wont need to be reading the b******t they try to feed us with!

Good advice for the boom times too.

ha, so it is!! my other point was that the media have made a right c**t of things! because of them they ppl are running scared, companies not taking the risk so laying off people! i reckon for all of us to save money we should not buy these newspapers and tabloids and see how they like it!!! think if you buy a paper for 2euro each day you'll save 14euro a week! and ya wont need to be reading the b******t they try to feed us with!

also, for the last 10-15 years companies have made huge profits from the celtic tiger, surely to god they could run for one year with the current staff one a small deficit!! just cause they wont make a 40% profit margin or that they just cut jobs!

i hope the rumours are true that the polish having gone home from ireland are looking to earn the same wages as here and that Dell and the likes dont save any money by moving! speaking about dell though, a neighbour of mine worked for them and they were building that plant in poland the last 3-5 years so it was always in the pipeline.

Had they any reserves, this would probably be possible, but not only did many of them spend their reserves during the boom, on properties etc, they also borrowed big bucks to cover the funds that had been pissed away. In addition to the loans, they then decided that it would be a great idea to have the biggest overdraft that they could squeeze out of their local friendly bank manager.

And then the the income stopped flowing in...................:eek:

anyone happen to know who replaced the celtic tiger with the celtic donkey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

I'll know it's bad when I can't wipe my arse with money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 .boards.ie

It is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. People who think it is going to be ok anytime soon are deluding themselves.

It is one big snowball effect that has only just started, if even. The knock on effect of companies going bust or downsizing, the job losses, people who bought over priced houses when they couldn't really afford them, the repossessions and the general sh1t that most of the worlds economies are in means a ruff ride for at least 2 to 3 years.

I will be waiting in the wings like a vulture to pick the bones off the carcass of one dead Celtic tiger and all the stupid people, with the master plan of making a mint during the next boom :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I would be surprised if the wheel becomes uninvented before this sh1t comes right again.

Explain how something can become uninvented...? Is that possible? :P

I think the worste is yet to come, in 2010 things will begin to come back slowly, it will be a good few years before things are back to normal. I give it 4 years.

You're not going to die, you might lose your new BMW X5, your 6 bedroom luxury home and you might actually have to shop in aldi and lidl (Which have very high quality produce). People are afraid they won't have all these luxuries that we have been used to for the past 15+ years. It's not the end of the world, that date is set in 2012 sometime :)

For people not working, we can still manage, I am sure of it. It will be tough, but we will get through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Explain how something can become uninvented...? Is that possible? :P

I think the worste is yet to come, in 2010 things will begin to come back slowly, it will be a good few years before things are back to normal. I give it 4 years.

You're not going to die, you might lose your new BMW X5, your 6 bedroom luxury home and you might actually have to shop in aldi and lidl (Which have very high quality produce). People are afraid they won't have all these luxuries that we have been used to for the past 15+ years. It's not the end of the world, that date is set in 2012 sometime :)

For people not working, we can still manage, I am sure of it. It will be tough, but we will get through it.

You're very upbeat man, did you get a job :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

A lot depends on the US at the moment. If they decide to make it more attractive for American companies to sell their IP direct from the states rather than using the Irish tax haven, then the irish economy could reach meltdown.

If they don't and we can keep hold of the likes of microsoft, Intel and HP then things may not be as bad as people make out.

The greedy people, the ones who went out and bought properties because they could sell them in a year and make a €100k profit, they are ****ed well and truely, but joe soap who kept their head down, has a nice steady job should be ok.

Futurism wrote: »
    I'll know it's bad when I can't wipe my arse with money.

I pity the waitress if you go to a restaurant and leave a tip.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

**** it, it'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

LeahBaby wrote: »
    Oh my God I hate reccesion talk.

Leah in the shop yesterday..

Nosey,has to know it all lady : Jaysus, I heard about your job over there.
    Leah: Ah yeah, sure what can ya do(hoping lady takes this as a rhetorical question)
    Nosey Bitch: Jaysus, there's no jobs out there. It's scary. I know this lady who's son works in...
    What the?!
    What are you doing ?!?!

Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!

*Warning, I will stab anyone with a lotto pen who talks to me about the recession.

Agreed...

I recently put a recession jar in my workplace and anyone who talks about it has to put a euro in the jar or they get a kick from me (customers included)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Great! Everything's gonna be aaaaaalllllllllllright! ;)

:D
    LOL

/cue impromptu party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭road_2_damascus

zuutroy wrote: »
    Top class.:D

No. 1 in the African charts will be '..Do they know its Ramadan..'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

We will become a 3rd world country.

50% unemployment, crippling national debt. Houses will go down further than most expect.

but it's okay if we become a 3rd world country, sure wont Bono and Bob Geldolf just play a few tunes for us and we'll all be saved! im delighted for he greedy gits that built a house in any bit of a pothole they found! such good land that could've been made into something good was ripped up for a housing estate!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

I would say the recession will be gone in a few months......if I was an uninformed fool, that is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

Mid-2009: Recession starts to take hold on all sectors of the economy
    late-2009: Irish population begins to become more and more disillusioned with faltering economy and failure of government to tackle issue
    Early-2010: Housing and banking sectors collapse completely. Civil unrest and public demonstrations grow. Government calls in Defence Forces to tackle large scale riots. Other governments around the world report similar problems
    2010-2011: Government fragments and begins to loss all influence. Is eventually toppled by rival vigilante factions who are themselves unable to keep control.
    2011-2013: General period of anarchy
    2015: Nuclear states become desperate. WWIII begins. 17 days later it is all but over.
    2018: Humanity begins to rebuild. The word 'recession' become illegal!

Advertisement