Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MyProtein.co.uk

Options
  • 23-01-2009 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all.

What with this recession and all (grumble, etc), I'm gonna probably change to a cheaper alternative in supplements.

The Supplement Factory has been tried unsuccessfully, but I've heard good things about myprotein.co.uk.

Anyone have any experience with them, good or bad?

Cheers!!

JB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I just ordered from www.myprotein.co.uk last saturday, I think my package has just arrived in reception now.

You can get a 5% discount for your first order. You can enter my code at checkout MP99441 I get some referral points too, some discount on future orders I think.

I got 5% off my order using a boards members code. 5% is the best you will get, online many chancers say 10% or staff discounts, this is to dupe you into using their code and them getting the points while you still only get 5%, so keep it with fellow boardsies!

I ordered the flavouring system and some other supplements, I was mainly after the flavouring, but the other stuff is cheap there too. Post was reasonable enough, I think £9 for over a kilo of stuff.

I have heard them recommended on many forums, was going to buy from them before ages ago.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

myprotein.co.uk is great. Delivery very quick and cheaper than anywhere else I've found online.

Oats, glutamine, creatine, protein etc... all good prices.

Be warned - don't go for flavourings unless you are really keen on them. Working through 10kg of vanilla flavoured protein gets kinda sickly after a few months.

If you want to get flavourings go for the bags so that you can mix the flavouring with the neutral tasting stuff as and when you need it (they will give you a tub of unflavoured, plus the flavouring separately in a bag)

For my second order I made the mistake of just getting the flavoured vanilla in a tub.

The first order was just unflavoured stuff... which I will opt for next time when I run out.

BossArky wrote: »
    Be warned - don't go for flavourings unless you are really keen on them. Working through 10kg of vanilla flavoured protein gets kinda sickly after a few months.
    Yes, go for unflavoured protein, there is a section for it. The favourings are here.

I use unflavoured in my oats & cold milk, I blend it into pancake mixtures etc, make mousse with jelly etc, it is very versatile.

My stuff did all arrive, the flavourings must be strong stinks of strawberry without even opening them!

It also allows you to adjust the flavouring to your own taste. If you weighed it out properly you could add it in bulk to say 1kg of powder, and shake it up so you do not have to go using spoons each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I can recommend them too, some tubs I received were busted open when delivered, and they sent replacements for free. Excelent range and good prices too.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

use them all the time, no worries go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

I use them the whole time and their chocolate is one of the best I've tasted, the other not too keen on though. I'm also loving their bcaa as well cheap and effective.

Also they've just changed their bags so they're alot sturdier now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Hi, I've never taken supplements before and I'm only starting to hit the weights like a mo-fo, I want a protien/whey powder/shake type thing. There seems to be loads of different varieties and I'm a bit confused.com, can someone recommend be which product would be suitable?? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

I buy Hurricane XS from them.

Ordered from them numerous times, never a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

Just ordered 2 5lb (2.27kg) bags impact whey protein, and 30g vanilla flavouring off them.
    Came to £44.38 which isn't bad. According to the comments nesquick is also nice as flavouring.
    Used your code as well rubadub. Thanks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Highly recommend them. bulkpowders.co.uk are good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Thanks a million, all! I'll give them a rattle soon :)

Update!!

Ordered my stuff late Thursday night, and received it Tuesday morning, so good delivery time.

I ordered the following:

• True Whey (5lb) Chocolate Mint
    • Instant Milk Protein Choc. Smooth [1kg]
    • Plastic Scoop (Large)
    • MP Blender Bottle - Size: 600ml
    • Plastic Scoop (Small)
    • Creatine Monohydrate - Size: 500g
    • L Glutamine - Size: 500g

In total it came to £71.34, which is €79 or so. I found this excellent value, as it costs at least €150 or so for the same products under a brand name.

After my bad experience with The Supplement Factory, I was pretty dubious (hence why I opened this topic!).

Have to say however, I am stunned by how good all the supplements are. I'll go through them now:

True Whey (5lb) Chocolate Mint

This is under the MP Max label, their brand I guess! Anyways, whey protein powder. Has BCAA's through it too, though I'm not too bothered about that :)

Anyways, taste wise, the choc mint is AWESOME. My missus, who hates all my other shakes before this, loves this. She compares it to a milkshake. What tops it for me is that it's not rotten with water through it, so taste is a winner here!

Mixability is also excellent, never any clumping or lumps of any kind. None.

Instant Milk Protein Choc. Smooth [1kg]

This is a casein protein (well, 78% casein! And 22% whey apparently), and I went for the chocolate smooth flavour.

Taste-wise, its fine. Its not something you'd drink solely for pleasure (not meant to be either, I know! :p) but its in no way bad or offensive to the tastebuds. Goes down easy.

Mixability wise, the only teeny thing I can say is that because it's casein, it does have a slightly 'feathery' texture. But again, never any lumps or clumps.

Plastic Scoop (Large) & Plastic Scoop (Small)

I got these as the bags don't provide the measurements or scoops - the site does. However I've not used the small one at all (I still go by 5g teaspoons of creatine and glutamine!) and the big one will prob get used if I lose an old scoop. Can't say much more!:o

MP Blender Bottle - Size: 600ml

Now HERE was a shocker!! I'm thrilled with the MP shakers - the ones with the wire ball instead of the usual mesh that I always used before. These mix everything up even better, and I can throw in a cup of oats along with my protein and it won't get stuck in the mesh. Also, dishwasher friendly (so the bloody thread on the cap doesn't get fooked up) and just darned lovely :D

Creatine Monohydrate - Size: 500g

Does exactly what it says on the tin - creatine mono. No lumps, no taste which is to be expected. So job done!

L Glutamine - Size: 500g

Same as with the creatine, except the glutamine gives off a slightly bitter taste. Still, nothing too bad!

Overall, I'm actually DELIGHTED with my order from MyProtein.co.uk.
    Everything came as ordered, the products are top notch, and I've made steady gains too. Cost wise, well its a life saver in these cash-starved times :o

Jimmy gives it two thumbs up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Damnit. I'd love to buy off this site but when it arrives and my dad accepts it, i'll be nailed to the door as he "doesn't believe in supplements". Smuggling Whey home from town get's boring. Guess i'll just have to wait till i move out..

*sigh**tear running down one cheek*

Thanks for the update. Agree on the shakers. They're great.

Quick question: Were you generally using milk with the choc mint whey?

Damnit. I'd love to buy off this site but when it arrives and my dad accepts it, i'll be nailed to the door as he "doesn't believe in supplements". Smuggling Whey home from town get's boring. Guess i'll just have to wait till i move out..

Haha, aye, my mothers face when she seen me years ago chowing down 12 Animal Pak tablets in a row... "We send you away to Dublin for college and THIS is what you come back with?!" :p

Just explain to the aul lad that whey and casein are by-products of dairy production!

Khannie wrote: »
    Thanks for the update. Agree on the shakers. They're great.

Quick question: Were you generally using milk with the choc mint whey?

Aye, I do use milk. Just there about 30 minutes ago I decided to give it a shot with water. Tried with the likes of ON 100% Whey in the past, and it tasted yuk. I was actually shocked that it's drinkable. Not near as nice as with milk, but still its drinkable, which to me is excellent if i can't get to milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

tell him to buy you 200g worth of steak every day from now on and compare the price of that to the whey. I dunno.

Nice review Jimmy, wee query on the shaker, is the wire ball easy to clean if you don't have a dishwasher, does the whey get stuck into corners and stuff like you get with a whisk for instance?

tell him to buy you 200g worth of steak every day from now on and compare the price of that to the whey. I dunno.

Nice review Jimmy, wee query on the shaker, is the wire ball easy to clean if you don't have a dishwasher, does the whey get stuck into corners and stuff like you get with a whisk for instance?

I like that suggestion :D

The wire ball is very easy to clean. Here's a pic to see what its like:

shakerbottle_260.jpg

Only weird thing is the rattling when you shake your shaker... but its cool!

And no, whatever you put into it can be cleaned out easily. I find the best thing is either the dishwasher, or else a wee washing-up brush with washing up liquid.

I used to get stuff delivered direct to the post office. You just pop into your local post office and say that you have just moved to the area and are unsure where you will be living and is it OK to get stuff sent there and that you will collect it. Then I just used to ring them to see if it came, they might also look for ID.

Then put your address as "care of"

Wolf Forager
    C/O Glenegeary Post office
    etc
    etc

There was never people in the house to collect mine, so it used to go to the sorting office which was further away.

I also used to get it sent to the post office in college.

Bit messed up smuggling whey from the auld fella! Walk in with a dozen beers and he probably goes "ah, thats me boy!" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

rubadub wrote: »
    I used to get stuff delivered direct to the post office. You just pop into your local post office and say that you have just moved to the area and are unsure where you will be living and is it OK to get stuff sent there and that you will collect it. Then I just used to ring them to see if it came, they might also look for ID.

Then put your address as "care of"

Wolf Forager
    C/O Glenegeary Post office
    etc
    etc

There was never people in the house to collect mine, so it used to go to the sorting office which was further away.

I also used to get it sent to the post office in college.

Bit messed up smuggling whey from the auld fella! Walk in with a dozen beers and he probably goes "ah, thats me boy!" ;)

The people who work in the local post office know my family so tellling them i just moved to the area wouldn't work! :P

I have 3 tubs of protein in my closet. 2 of them are empty and the only reason they're still there is because smugling em out of the house is harder than getting them in :P

I bought a crate of heineken last week and have em out in the shed chilling :P

• Advertisement

The people who work in the local post office know my family so tellling them i just moved to the area wouldn't work! :P
    Just go to the next closest one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

hey guys just wanted to chip in with my feedback.

I placed my first order for some stuff and it came within a week. The quality looks grand, no problem with mixing or anything like that. Would absolutely recommend using them, especially with the decent exchange rate with Sterling.

Also the good news is, since the 25th march they have lowered their shipping to Ireland. It is now £6.95 instead of £9.95. Every little helps! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

Hey have just seen that they have reduced their shipping costs.
    its an excellent site for simple things like Vitamin c, multivitimins, cod liver oil, echinieca, Green tea, Milk thistle (very good for those who have a tendancy to get hammered at the weekends on a regular basis:pac:)

but dont forget to buy the real muscle foods, Eggs, PEANUT BUTTER Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, oats, veg, cinnimon, lean meat, picnic salmon (so cheap), skimmed milk, soya milk(when cutting), cheap fruit from aldi, nuts, cashews for those who dont like the normal nut taste, seeds, honey for your peanut butter, frozen bags of fruit from aldi (1.99 per bag, a few dif varities) fro your smoothees, glucose from any supermarket to add to your whey protein for post workout shakes, sweetners for tea (my usual 3 spoons sugar is down to 2 sweetners and half spoon), cod liver oil(amazing in soooo many ways) and dont forget to plan meals in advance Phew rant over, gonna have me some homemade soup, all ingredients half price in dunnes:D, main ingredients onions and brocilli so tastes crap:( but healthy so yum yum yum:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

Ye might know already, but myprotein are doing 10lb pouches of the unflavoured impact stuff now for £31.75 + postage. Fairly good value imo! Might be a bit handier than buying a couple of 5lb pouches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kwcm

a quick query - if the True Whey already has glutamine, why do you need further l-glutamine supplementation? I'm asking as I'm thinking of getting l-glutamine supplementation - but didn't want to overdo it if I'm already getting enough from true whey.

KC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kwcm

Update!!

This is under the MP Max label, their brand I guess! Anyways, whey protein powder. Has BCAA's through it too, though I'm not too bothered about that :)

Anyways, taste wise, the choc mint is AWESOME. My missus, who hates all my other shakes before this, loves this. She compares it to a milkshake. What tops it for me is that it's not rotten with water through it, so taste is a winner here!

Mixability is also excellent, never any clumping or lumps of any kind. None.

[/I]

sorry - forgot to quote in previuos post.

a quick query - if the True Whey already has glutamine, why do you need further l-glutamine supplementation? I'm asking as I'm thinking of getting l-glutamine supplementation - but didn't want to overdo it if I'm already getting enough from true whey.

KC

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭colmconn

kwcm wrote: »

KC

be warned about the l-glutamine: it tastes god awful. I finished my tub yesterday. never again.

colmconn wrote: »
    be warned about the l-glutamine: it tastes god awful. I finished my tub yesterday. never again.

Where did you get this glutamine? Mine tastes just fine. I mix it with orange sugar-free mi-wadi or whatever. I'm sure it tastes rank on its own, but I've never tried it like that.

kwcm: Maybe see how you're getting by without it first. Only consider it if you think it'll really help improve your recovery times.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭colmconn

Khannie wrote: »
    Where did you get this glutamine? Mine tastes just fine. I mix it with orange sugar-free mi-wadi or whatever. I'm sure it tastes rank on its own, but I've never tried it like that.

kwcm: Maybe see how you're getting by without it first. Only consider it if you think it'll really help improve your recovery times.

got it from myprotein. I was mixing it with their choc-mint protein and the glutamine spoiled the flavour in a big way. plus it's not very soluble.

• Advertisement

That's really weird. I've never had any taste or mixability trouble with mine and I get it from myprotein too. The BCAA powder now....holy jaysus....that's filthy gear.

Advertisement