Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBS Launch

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

They are spending less than 30M Eur I think as the balance of the 79M Eur comes from EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

cowboy1981 wrote: »
    ...Ryan's.....cunning plan

Yeah. Sure. :P

cowboy1981 wrote: »
    If Ryan had given the contract to eircom, they would probably have succeeded in delivering, and the exchequer would have had to pay out the funds in full, albeit a lower amount (because eircom already have DSL and Meteor networks, so it couldn't have cost them as much as a completely new network for 3.)
    Not true.
    Meteor is mostly GSM. They have an expensive 3G rollout to do or lose the new licence that Smart thought they had got.

eircom was pretty much going to do the same as 3, but with a better Satellite service and maybe some fixed Wireless. Mostly Meteor HSDPA. They were more realistic about costs so 3 was cheaper and thus was chosen.

Avanti as Satellite supplier is very cheap. Boards rules and other constraints mean I can't give any more analysis than here.

The NBS subsidises the on going costs more than the infrastructure, so after the NBS the prices will go up, especially Satellite. The Satellite service is subsidised a lot hence limited to 8% by NBS scheme.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

So Ryan CLAIMED to be spending €223m when he is actually spending €39m . Some lie that but so typical of the low standards that he consistently sets himself :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    So Ryan CLAIMED to be spending €223m when he is actually spending €39m . Some lie that but so typical of the low standards that he consistently sets himself :(

That's the first thing I noticed. Is there no low he won't go to?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

NBS, move along, nothing to see here,
    what a complete utter waste of money how is this going to help small businesses get decent BB connections and i despair of commentators (re pat kenny's radio show yesterday)n saying ryan has ideas i've seen none of it. stalling and doing nothing, empty announcements just like the rest of the gov. at least i got BB after 3 years of complaining. rock solid connection with no hnges to the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

NBS, move along, nothing to see here,
    what a complete utter waste of money

Oh so true...Here is a piece from the SBP from last august:
    http://www.yourtechstuff.com/techwire/2008/08/where-mobile-br.html

Hopefully it's ok to post it in full...
    "Where mobile broadband speeds vary around Dublin

I spent lots of last week comparing all three networks' mobile broadband products in different locations around the city for a newspaper article. Speeds vary substantially. In Dublin 9 (Drumcondra), O2 reigns supreme with speeds of over 2Mbs. In Harcourt Street, though, it shrinks to under 0.5Mbs. 3, by comparison hits over 1Mbs in Harcourt Street but falls to about 0.6Mbs in Drumcondra. And it's a similar story around different parts of the city.

Incidentally, 3 is set to switch on its extra mobile broadband speed (x2) "any day now", according to executives in the network"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

X2 switch :D

Oh fook lads, who didn't spot that earlier :P

Only helps speed for 1/8 to 1/4 of subscribers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement