Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost 5x01 - "Because You Left" [** Spoilers **]

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Another thing that's getting to me, is that when Ben turned the wheel, the Island moved, either in time or in location, but the Losties are moving in time, separate to the Island, and the Dharma people, the original Others, and anyone/anything else. Why?

Another thing that may never be explained, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

jor el wrote: »
    Another thing that's getting to me, is that when Ben turned the wheel, the Island moved, either in time or in location, but the Losties are moving in time, separate to the Island, and the Dharma people, the original Others, and anyone/anything else. Why?

Also, how did a scan of the area from the side give a top down view of the wheel?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I really liked it. It was a bit of a mindf**k to be sure, but thats when Lost is at its best.

Some observations:

1. Dr. Marvin was a bit of a prick at the start. We never placed much importance in his character (other than "the guy in the orientation videos") - looks to me like he is more important than that, and will probably feature more in this series.

2. I think the end of the Lost game (released last year) makes more sense now - those of you who have finished it will know what I mean.

3. Its interesting that they now have a mechanism to undo everything that happened in the last 4 years. For example, it was nice to see Ethan again. What can they do with the time travel mechanic? Charlie/Anna Lucia/Libby/Eko/Ethan/Nikki/Paulo not dying? I'm just worried that the last episode from Season 6 will have the Losties storming the cabin in Oceanic 815 to get the pilot to turn the plane on a different course. A big magic "Reset Button" is a very lazy plot device, so I hope they don't use it like that.

4. Did they change the time wheel that Ben turned in the Season 4 finale? It didn't look like it was made of papier mâché in the new episode. :)

Good start to the season...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Also, how did a scan of the area from the side give a top down view of the wheel?
    It wasn't a photograph, it was a sonar scan. They scan like that, sort of. By moving them about, you get 3d views.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Was pleased enough with it. I don't mind a bit of time travel. Just want to see episode 2 now.

8/10

For anyone who hasn't seen it like me and wants a look;

Ending to the lost game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mr E wrote: »
    2. I think the end of the Lost game (released last year) makes more sense now - those of you who have finished it will know what I mean.

Its non-canon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Mr E wrote: »
    3. Its interesting that they now have a mechanism to undo everything that happened in the last 4 years. For example, it was nice to see Ethan again. What can they do with the time travel mechanic? Charlie/Anna Lucia/Libby/Eko/Ethan/Nikki/Paulo not dying? I'm just worried that the last episode from Season 6 will have the Losties storming the cabin in Oceanic 815 to get the pilot to turn the plane on a different course. A big magic "Reset Button" is a very lazy plot device, so I hope they don't use it like that.

Yeah but the way Farraday tells it they can't undo anything that has happened in the past. If Desmond didn't know Sawyer when he met him in Series 2 then he can't have met him previously and there's no way that Sawyer can change that. Obviously they might use a bit of the 'listen to me - in the future when x happens you have to do y' to manipulate stuff but hopefully they won't rely on it too much.

Also - I'm presuming the island time skipping thing will cease shortly - a whole series of it would be pretty darn annoying.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I didn't like this much at all, and it has severely dampened my enthusiasm for the series. Time travel me bollocks. What's next, a shower scene and series 2-4 are all a dream?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Info for downloaders
    If anyone downloaded it online and noticed the transmission glitches, it has been propered by 2HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Nom nom nom. Good stuff, not amazing by any means, but very good!
    WTFarraday indeed...
    What's the ending of the game? That video is too long :)
    Kate on the run again, meh...
    I like the Sun Widmore stuff, should go somewhere interesting!
    Are the islanders stuck in that needle skipping for the entire series maybe? Booooring... And like, with the vastness of time, isn't it miraculously unlikely that they will jump to "random" places in time that are so close to their original time? Possibly not so random I guess...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Troublesome

J-blk wrote: »
    Classic Lost mindf**k but I'm not that impressed by it - it's getting really annoying to keep track of "when" they are at this stage and really, can't see any real answers coming by the very end with next season.

I also don't get why Jack is so eager to go back to the island because Locke told him everyone there would die if he didn't... So? From Jack's perspective, he only spent a few months with these people and the only one he really cares about anyway (Kate) got off the island too... I just don't see the motivation to go back, since all they ever wanted up to now was to get the hell off the island.

As for answers in this episode, what answers? We are still drip-fed stuff: oh look, the Dharma guys could have babies, WTF Farraday moments, etc, but what do we know now - really - that we didn't know last season?

Jack is the main person who wants to go back because he is sickened with guilt and that is why he has his drug problem ect. Also, Claire is still on the island who he found out not long after being rescued, is actually his half sister, making Aaron is nephew.

When Ben turned the wheel the island was moved through space and time. It is still unclear whether the island is jumping through time or if the losties are. It is most likely the island is moving in space and the losties are moving in time whereas other people are not, aka the others for reasons yet to be disclosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

I gave the episode a 10, not only because it was an excellent season starter, but also because Sawyer spent it half naked................*drool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭wayne040576

About time they stopped beating around the bush and finally went the sci-fi route. They've been wanting to go this way all time but the network was afraid it would cause the ratings to drop.

It'll be interesting to see if it manages to keep the viewer numbers over the last 2 seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I enjoyed it.. we've had much worse openers than that. It was quite enjoyable.. and Faraday is probably the best cast addition since Michael Emerson and Henry Ian Cusick. Hope tha annoying cow Charlotte is next to go... Daniel seemed quite bothered by her noseblood.. interesting!

But one thing that is slightly bugging me is a slight alternation to what jor el has brought up, and I hope it's addressed soon. The "Losties" on the Island are moving back and forth through time whereas Jack, Kate, Sayid, Hurley (etc) back on land seem to be 3 years ahead. Is this in the same timeline at those on the Island, or are we to believe that this 3 years ahead is IN FACT 3 years ahead on the Island also? And 3 years have passed with Sawyer, Locke, Charlotte, Daniel (etc) jumping through time. It's interesting nonetheless.

As Mr E has said, there's a couple of interesting plot devices they could use with this "time jump mechanism".. but there's an equal number of very shoddy and easy-way-out plot devices they could muster up.

Anyways, great to have Lost back. Gets an 8 from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Thought it was a really good ole Lost ep. Lots of questions, but still we're learning much more stuff. Wanna know how Daniel got to be in the past and the circumstances behind it.

8/10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

basquille wrote: »
    But one thing that is slightly bugging me is a slight alternation to what jor el has brought up, and I hope it's addressed soon. The "Losties" on the Island are moving back and forth through time whereas Jack, Kate, Sayid, Hurley (etc) back on land seem to be 3 years ahead. Is this in the same timeline at those on the Island, or are we to believe that this 3 years ahead is IN FACT 3 years ahead on the Island also? And 3 years have passed with Sawyer, Locke, Charlotte, Daniel (etc) jumping through time.
    If I understand you correctly than no, the two storylines aren't happening at the same time. Think of it like how the flashbacks worked in previous seasons:

Jack saving people on the island in 2004.
    *swooosh sound*
    Jack saving people in LA in 1995/whenever.

The key thing here is the "swoosh". It indicates we are travelling to a different time and place. The way it works this season is the same, just a bit more complex:

The O6 in the real world in 2007
    *swooosh*
    The left-behinders on the island in 1970/1980/whenever the next flash takes them.

Like Richard said, time is all relative.

Ah yes.. makes sense alright... the "swoosh" sound should have been the give-away that there's a time difference alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Good opener. 9/10

Faraday was around back in the day.

Ginger. heh

Hope Faraday finds some way of stopping the time jumping it always gets messy and confusing the more time travelling you involve.

Also it's gone SciFi now. I don't mind but some people will

The island clearly moved in space/location when Ben turned the wheel. The helicopter was flying along and then plop as Hurley put it. IMO this would have affected everyone and everything on the island, the 815ers, the leftover Dharma stations, the Others etc.

However it also seems to have sent the 815ers (plus Juliet who I can't explain) moving through time. Why Juliet is moving through time and Cindy the air hostess isn't I don't know. Why it affected only the Losties I don't know.

We don't know how it would have affected the Dharma people as they are all dead (bar Ben who is no longer on the island) when the wheel is turned.
    basquille wrote: »
    I enjoyed it.. we've had much worse openers than that. It was quite enjoyable.. and Faraday is probably the best cast addition since Michael Emerson and Henry Ian Cusick. Hope tha annoying cow Charlotte is next to go... Daniel seemed quite bothered by her noseblood.. interesting!

IIRC didn't Des have a nosebleed during 'The Constant' and Faraday said that essentially it meant he was going to die unless he found his constant which he did in Penny. Presumably this is the same thing that is affecting Charlotte so maybe she is on her way out.

kevmy wrote: »
    IIRC didn't Des have a nosebleed during 'The Constant' and Faraday said that essentially it meant he was going to die unless he found his constant which he did in Penny. Presumably this is the same thing that is affecting Charlotte so maybe she is on her way out.
    Yeah, that's what I assumed alright.

All the better.. probably the least interesting of the new cast additions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

accchh dunno about all these hacks 'omg that was so amazing' it was just a good episode and it is great to have Lost back but i think the episode suffered abit and we'll have to suffer abit of having some patience.. nothing major was revealed or answered as usual and as per the men themselves thsi will be more confusing than any other season so i expect to wait until the last 5 episodes to get some movement on the serious things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭epo addict

Who was firing all the flaming arrows at the losties on the beach???
    So funny that Niall or Neil got hit he was wrecking my head:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Decent enough entertainment, but I've no huge interest in time travel stories and wacky sci-fi, and it looks as if this series is going to abandon any lingering hopes I had that there might be a rational scientific explanation.

Even Jack 'Man Of Science' Shephard seems to have given in to the lunacy.

I'll keep watching until the end but I don't really care anymore who lives or dies. (or dies and is reborn, or is immortal, or who exists everywhere etc).

6/10, but I'll bump it to 7 for "It points north John".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I have to admit, I'm a little underwhelmed with the time travel stuff as well. I've no problem with the Sci-Fi angle, I just wish it made more sense. Time travel almost never makes sense. It's just a minefield of paradox and plot-holes and other problems.

The only type of time travel I like is the predestination-paradox variety. e.g., Time traveller goes back in time to stop his wife from dying, only to find out that it is the very act of going back in time that leads to her death. There's one timeline and it can't be changed. The first Terminator and 12 Monkeys are good examples of this.

The Lost writers do seem to be going this direction in season 5, but it contradicts what they've done previously (and are continuing to do) with Desmond. I dunno, I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt, but I reckon they're going to end up in Back to the Future territory, i.e., it'll all be very entertaining but won't make the slightest bit of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Thought the episodes were fairly crap really. I don't know, its just lost its appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭fobs

I enjoyed this episode but do not like the time travel bit. I thought the writers said at the start of Lost it was not going down the Sci-fi route and that there would be a scientific explanation to it all. Now it seems to be in the Heroes vein...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I was disappointed.

I don't mind the sci-fin angle but I though they might go a bit more original.

To be honest the whole thing looks like an elaborate episode of quantum leap right down to the flashing white light when they "jump".

I though mirror matter might be the way to go. It hasn't been done to DEATH in Sci fi yet. Time travel, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The scripts are still excellent, the acting magnificant but they plot is starting to look like it was hastily thrown together. I could be proved wrong of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

fobs wrote: »
    I enjoyed this episode but do not like the time travel bit. I thought the writers said at the start of Lost it was not going down the Sci-fi route and that there would be a scientific explanation to it all. Now it seems to be in the Heroes vein...

Yeah it's Sci-fi people. The writers always intended it to be sci-fi but ABC didn't think a sci-fi would be such a big hit so they told the writers to say that it wasn't sci-fi. As it has gone further down this route obviously some people won't like it and that's fair enough.

However I do think (hope!!) that the writers have a proper plan to tie all this together. I would hate to think they are totally making it up as they go along. They have had an end date since before the start of last season. I got the impression that at that stage the sat down and planned out the major events to bring it to it's conclusion. That would have been the best thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

kevmy wrote: »
    Presumably this is the same thing that is affecting Charlotte so maybe she is on her way out.

that'd be a shame, she's cute in a piercing kinda way

Advertisement