Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Some real bangers tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

unkel wrote: »
    Last time I was in Mayo, I had a quick look around a few car parks and half the cars weren't taxed.

Haha ya we never pay tax down here:D

peasant wrote: »
    17 months NCT for 375 Euro

http://www.adverts.ie/car/saxo/saxo/bargain-citroen-saxo-with-17-months-nct/508223

Needs a front indicator lens and a bit of kurust on the back and that'll do it until you throw it away in 17 months

Thats a great bargain, the damage wouldnt bother me for the next 17 months. Such cheap motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,308 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Last time I was in Mayo, I had a quick look around a few car parks and half the cars weren't taxed.

I find that hard to believe. You might find alot of people letting it run for a week or so into the month that tax was due before taxing it but Id be surprised if you found more than 1 in 10 that were truely being driven without tax.

That lexus would be a likely candidate though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

mickdw wrote: »
    I find that hard to believe. You might find alot of people letting it run for a week or so into the month that tax was due before taxing it but Id be surprised if you found more than 1 in 10 that were truely being driven without tax.

It's not really, loads of untaxed cars in these parts.

• Advertisement

I always check cars for tax here in mayo, just a habit and 25% have the tax out for more than 2 months. I know well paid people who dont tax their cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

my tax is out at the end of the month, im currently earning 260 euro per week, my tax is 100 euro for 3 months, although 100 doesn't sound like much its a considerable portion of the fu(k all that i'm earning. i will do my best to pay it, but i'm confident at this stage that it won't be on time.

i know this sounds like a poor state of affairs, but maybe if you could buy 1 months tax, it might encourage compliance in these tough times? i wouldn't have half as much a problem finding 30 euro next week for 1 months tax.

andyseadog wrote: »
    my tax is out at the end of the month, im currently earning 260 euro per week, my tax is 100 euro for 3 months, although 100 doesn't sound like much its a considerable portion of the fu(k all that i'm earning. i will do my best to pay it, but i'm confident at this stage that it won't be on time.

i know this sounds like a poor state of affairs, but maybe if you could buy 1 months tax, it might encourage compliance in these tough times? i wouldn't have half as much a problem finding 30 euro next week for 1 months tax.

Ya its not easy mate, all you can do is try your best, personally I have never let the tax lapse on my car by more than a week. It does annoy me when I see untaxed cars belonging to people who have a better income than me. I think people should pay their way and if they can't afford to tax the car they should get a different means of transport. Not have a dig but free loaders wouldn't be my favourite people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

kermitpwee wrote: »
    Ya its not easy mate, all you can do is try your best, personally I have never let the tax lapse on my car by more than a week. It does annoy me when I see untaxed cars belonging to people who have a better income than me. I think people should pay their way and if they can't afford to tax the car they should get a different means of transport. Not have a dig but free loaders wouldn't be my favourite people.

i get where your coming from alright, honestly i'm terrified driving around without a disc in the window. generally guards are decent enough if your tax is out by a few days but i'd rather not be leaving it to chance. a big fat fine and a couple of points on your license is all anyone needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Way off topic but perhaps the 'free loaders' pay more tax in one year than most earn and feel that forking out thousands in a false tax is unjust.

• Advertisement

E39MSport wrote: »
    Way off topic but perhaps the 'free loaders' pay more tax in one year than most earn and feel that forking out thousands in a false tax is unjust.

I reckon most folk on decent money pay their motor tax to be honest.

Yes i see where your coming from. Only problem is that motor tax is not a false tax, it is real. It doesn't matter how much income tax you pay you must pay motor tax. There is no exemption for poor people when they are paying motor tax and thus there should not be any acceptance of non payment of tax by people that can well pay for it. Yes motor tax is crazy in this country but thats the law. Until its changed we should pay our way. If these free loaders couldn't be arsed to pay motor tax what else are they trying to evade?

RoverJames wrote: »
    I reckon most folk on decent money pay their motor tax to be honest.

Yes most do, but there is a surprising amount of people who don't. I would expect a teacher of 15 years to be able to pay motor tax on a 1.3 car for they year but I know 2 that dont, admittedly the second guy has a 2 litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,126 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I find that hard to believe.

Well my research was far from scientific and I can't even remember the specifics :p

What I do remember is that about half of the local cars I saw parked (in Castlebar in July of last year) were out of tax. In the hotel car park (outside Castlebar), older local cars (probably local staff on low wages?) nearly NONE were taxed while most of the visitor cars were taxed.

Of all the checkpoints I've ever been stopped in Ireland (probably a couple of hundred times), ALL of them were in the Dublin area.

People are calculating. If there is very little or no chance they will be done for driving without tax, why tax the car? They're obviously getting away without paying in Mayo (and probably many other places in the country)

Of all the checkpoints I've ever been stopped in Ireland (probably a couple of hundred times), ALL of them were in the Dublin area.

And you live where :P

In fairness though check points in rural Ireland would be rare enough, In Cork City if I saw one a fortnight I wouldn't be surprised but I could go a few months without seeing one. Since end of Feb I've met 3 (I know this as my tax disc expired end of Feb, done online friday night so new disc on the way), no comments about the tax from any of them, one of them breathalysed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I Was VB wrote: »

Great motor. I have to keep reminding myself that I paid just Eur 750 for mine. It's the type of car that you want to drive around the block once more before getting home.

I'm curious about the '1 owner from new' bit though given the atrocious spelling.

Great motor. I have to keep reminding myself that I paid just Eur 750 for mine. It's the type of car that you want to drive around the block once more before getting home.

I'm curious about the '1 owner from new' bit though given the atrocious spelling.

Does the nct not have a date on the sticker to say the date it was tested? They used to have, not sure now.

http://www.gumtree.ie/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/lexus-ls400/76301833

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Does the nct not have a date on the sticker to say the date it was tested? They used to have, not sure now.
    They used to, but the format changed slightly when the new crowd took over, maybe they don't anymore. I'm also heavily sceptical about "one owner from new" - one previous owner before the current (eastern european, most likely) owner.
    EDIT - "eastern european" not to taken as a negative thing, just that the style of the ad suggests it...

langdang wrote: »
    They used to, but the format changed slightly when the new crowd took over, maybe they don't anymore. I'm also heavily sceptical about "one owner from new" - one previous owner before the current (eastern european, most likely) owner.
    EDIT - "eastern european" not to taken as a negative thing, just that the style of the ad suggests it...

Yes I need to check a few disks, as I have put thru a few cars lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,308 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well my research was far from scientific and I can't even remember the specifics :p

What I do remember is that about half of the local cars I saw parked (in Castlebar in July of last year) were out of tax. In the hotel car park (outside Castlebar), older local cars (probably local staff on low wages?) nearly NONE were taxed while most of the visitor cars were taxed.

People are calculating. If there is very little or no chance they will be done for driving without tax, why tax the car? They're obviously getting away without paying in Mayo (and probably many other places in the country)

Im in Mayo. You would see a checkpoint about once a year on average. Still I see most people do tax their car. I do know of one particular guy who bought a new van in 07 and hasnt been taxed since the first years tax ran out. I dont quite know how he is getting away with that. Its scandalous. Most people here used to be slow in paying for a few weeks but in the last couple of years, that has stopped too as gardai tightened up a bit on that.

• Advertisement

Yes I need to check a few disks, as I have put thru a few cars lately.

Now look at the disk on this
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2002659

Maybe there is no consistency been applied by the ncts, its strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,126 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Now look at the disk on this
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2002659

Maybe there is no consistency been applied by the ncts, its strange.

What's wrong with it? You do know you can have the car tested before it is due and the test will then be valid until 2 years after it was due? So this car was due on 26th of April, but got tested on the 16th March

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

What's wrong with it? You do know you can have the car tested before it is due and the test will then be valid until 2 years after it was due? So this car was due on 26th of April, but got tested on the 16th March

Look at the lexus and see can you tell me what date it was tested on? No you cant as its not on it. My question is why is this so?

http://www.gumtree.ie/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/lexus-ls400/76301833

You would think that it would have the test date like the other car, is there some inconsistency with NCTS or is there something else awry?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ALfa 166 3.0V6 auto: http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201104201000411

It'd be a shame to run it into the ground, and looking after it would be expensive, but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lillil

You would think that it would have the test date like the other car, is there some inconsistency with NCTS or is there something else awry?

Was looking into this recently and couldn't figure out what the story is either.
    It's handy to know the last test date as there are cars out there with say 6 moths NCT left on them but the last test date is only a few weeks back.
    Thus you know the car was without a test for 18 months and it is something you might want to question the seller about.

Anan1 wrote: »
    ALfa 166 3.0V6 auto: http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201104201000411

It'd be a shame to run it into the ground, and looking after it would be expensive, but still...

Unique number plate, no sh1t :pac:
    (I know I know)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2001826

Full?id=5737761

Anyone an hour from him surely worth a look.

Updated 3 hours ago as sold. Looked like a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,091 ✭✭✭✭Esel

andyseadog wrote: »
    i get where your coming from alright, honestly i'm terrified driving around without a disc in the window. generally guards are decent enough if your tax is out by a few days but i'd rather not be leaving it to chance. a big fat fine and a couple of points on your license is all anyone needs.
    No points for no tax, afaik.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Esel wrote: »
    No points for no tax, afaik.

correct.:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement