Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that i'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Capri wrote: »
    (Just watching Texas Car Wars - profit of $8,800 made on an old 62 Ranchero - seems to be 4 guys working flat out for 2(?) weeks = $1,100 (€823) / week (?) for each chap , then ?? weeks of nothing = €100/ week ?????? )

I won't be giving up the day job - unfortunately

That just about sums up the classic car business here too to be honest, the cars are money pits and the financial rewards are pitiful,:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Hearse 1 wrote: »
    Is that DAF still in that field? Any idea if there is anything salvagable on it?

Wonder would Google satellite show anything :confused:

That just about sums up the classic car business here too to be honest, the cars are money pits and the financial rewards are pitiful,:(.

What I was saying was that some here are fooled by looking at TCW, etc. and think it's the road to riches, but like all 'reality' TV it doesn't show you the downsides.
    I'd love to be able to have a well lit workshop, access to proper tools, and when the resto was finished know that it'd be sold in a week or two so I could start the next project :rolleyes: - BUT THIS IS IRELAND :mad::mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^ What's being in Ireland got to do with it?

If the cost of all the labour+parts is more than any potential profit then it doesn't matter where you are, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Dades wrote: »

If the cost of all the labour+parts is more than any potential profit then it doesn't matter where you are, surely?
    Too many people who accept driving around in rot boxes, most cars that turn up on done deal and the like are in a lot of cases mot failures that are flagged on over here or just general rubbish so as a result the market is naturally depressed here because a lot of people either don't care or don't know what they are driving as long as it doesn't have to be tested and has cheap tax. Then why would they pay top money for a lovingly cared for car when they see lots on done deal for €1500 or less! The sooner we get mandatory testing for cars the sooner we will get a stable classic car market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

For sale since 15/08/2010

What was that you were saying Capri about a quick turnaround? :pac:

invest4deepvalue.com

I've said it before here, Ireland has a (emigrating :rolleyes: ) population of c.4 mil compared with 62mil in the UK and 340mil in the US - so there's a ?% better chance of flogging your restored classic in the UK/US than lil' ol' Ireland :( Labour/parts prices have less to do with it than sheer lack of punters :rolleyes:

For sale since 15/08/2010

What was that you were saying Capri about a quick turnaround?

We should have an 'Ad watch' section here to depress ourselves - see how long an ad's been up on DD / ?? etc. When I see 'SOLD' on an ad I say 'VERY LUCKY MAN' ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

Hearse 1 wrote: »
    Is that DAF still in that field? Any idea if there is anything salvagable on it?

If I get a chance Ill go up and have a look but the last time I saw it, it was looking ok

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭WDB123

We should have an 'Ad watch' section here to depress ourselves - see how long an ad's been up on DD / ?? etc. When I see 'SOLD' on an ad I say 'VERY LUCKY MAN' ;);)[/QUOTE]

Or they put a realistic price on it to get rid of it ;)

to many people look at a high standard car,and think that there rot box is worth a few quid less,very few people have a realistic view of valuations

a good quality classic is not a cheap item, no matter what the make

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭quattro777

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

^200 hundred photos! should have spent less time with the camera and more with dolly and hammer.

hi5 wrote: »
    ^200 hundred photos! should have spent less time with the camera and more with dolly and hammer.

Missing front bumper rubber, rear one wobbly, bottoms of doors/sill line :eek::eek: De-badged or missing badges ? I may be wrong but I think the 2000GT had vinyl seats with integrated headrests , and a pair of pedal rubbers might help him sell it - FOR €??? :eek::eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I've said it before here, Ireland has a (emigrating :rolleyes: ) population of c.4 mil compared with 62mil in the UK and 340mil in the US - so there's a ?% better chance of flogging your restored classic in the UK/US than lil' ol' Ireland :( Labour/parts prices have less to do with it than sheer lack of punters :rolleyes:
    Grand so, I just thought you were *blaming* Ireland (and all those who sail in her) rather than just lamenting the lack of potential buyers due to demographics. :)
    kev1.3s wrote: »
    Too many people who accept driving around in rot boxes, most cars that turn up on done deal and the like are in a lot of cases mot failures that are flagged on over here or just general rubbish so as a result the market is naturally depressed here because a lot of people either don't care or don't know what they are driving as long as it doesn't have to be tested and has cheap tax. Then why would they pay top money for a lovingly cared for car when they see lots on done deal for €1500 or less! The sooner we get mandatory testing for cars the sooner we will get a stable classic car market.
    I'd say a lot of people driving rot boxes would drive better cars if they had the money. I doubt there's many people driving a €1,500 car who went out with a budget of €5,000 and thought - "cool a rot box for cheap!"

But, yeah, no doubt there's cars out there that shouldn't be on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Dades wrote: »
    Grand so, I just thought you were *blaming* Ireland (and all those who sail in her) rather than just lamenting the lack of potential buyers due to demographics. :)

I'd say a lot of people driving rot boxes would drive better cars if they had the money. I doubt there's many people driving a €1,500 car who went out with a budget of €5,000 and thought - "cool a rot box for cheap!"

But, yeah, no doubt there's cars out there that shouldn't be on the road.
    I'm not saying that someone with a budget of 5k would buy a **** car for 1.5k but how can someone with a genuinely good car achieve what it should be worth it when there is so much tarted up rubbish out there for buttons! That's why all the good cars are leaving the country, if they fail an mot in the UK they are worth project car money and that won't undermine the values of the good cars

I'd love to get stuck into this http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4619604

At least you can see it in it's sins, and parts are easy to get from the US. And it'd be worth something if done right ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

I'd love to get stuck into this http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4619604

At least you can see it in it's sins, and parts are easy to get from the US. And it'd be worth something if done right ;)

Is it really? Not a particularly desirable model imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Is it really? Not a particularly desirable model imho.

Yeah, needs to be totally stripped, possibly welded, resprayed, probably new front end, shocks and springs, brake lines and pads, possibly discs, wheels and tires too. Probably looking for €3k, put €7k in to it and sell for what, €7.5k maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

would need to pick up that mustang for marbles to make any sense of restoring it,i bought a 69 coupe last year ready to roll local to me,ok its
    a 6cyl 250ci but it was ready to be driven and enjoyed with no work,you
    wouldnt see 7k in that car flittering away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭oceanman

might be good for anyone needing parts!http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4623326

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

68deville wrote: »
    would need to pick up that mustang for marbles to make any sense of restoring it,i bought a 69 coupe last year ready to roll local to me,ok its
    a 6cyl 250ci but it was ready to be driven and enjoyed with no work,you
    wouldnt see 7k in that car flittering away

Thing about fixing up stuff is it's a slow (affordable) trickle of cash, fix it when you have time/cash and some things are repairable off them. (Fixed my Shelby rear foldable glass with clear sealer - wasn't too much of that back in the 80's !)

oceanman wrote: »

Consul 315, bit of overspray on the engine bay :o Otherwise a cheap project :rolleyes:

Respray in the engine bay on this one too ??? Granny MkI

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4627674

Red Ford nite ?? - smart wee van http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4626926

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Consul 315, bit of overspray on the engine bay :o Otherwise a cheap project :rolleyes:

Respray in the engine bay on this one too ??? Granny MkI

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4627674

Red Ford nite ?? - smart wee van http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4626926

Where do you see the respray in the engine bay of the Granada?

ronaneire wrote: »
    Where do you see the respray in the engine bay of the Granada?

Fan cowling/air cleaner box ?? :confused: OR could be sunset/street lighting :cool: Car looks too clean for a respray tho' ?

Had a Chasseur MkII estate, bronze/matt blacked chrome trim - a/t went so so did the car :(http://www.flickr.com/photos/45701009@N00/4425986630/in/faves-47504763@N05/

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4619604

The seller must have that car 30+ years.
    I remember it being used as his everyday car!

It would be nice to see it back on the road as it was quite solid the last time I looked at it and it has nice old Dublin registration number.

Attached is a couple of photos of it taken 2001.

who went of the bother of restoring this :Dhttp://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4628637

• Advertisement

oceanman wrote: »
    who went of the bother of restoring this :Dhttp://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4628637

Reminds me of a (talented mechanic) friend of mine years ago - was offered Porsche 356 to restore,he turned it down in favour of a 73 Fiat 127 :eek::eek::eek: , and then complained when there was a bearing noise in the 127 g/box after he'd restored it !!! :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement