Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that i'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭SilverBell

Dades wrote: »
    I wonder if the missis would mind if I traded in the family Passat Estate for this?
    What mpg does the Passat do? Then I'll tell you what one of them does!!:D

You used to have something similar I remember, a 70s SL? What donkey was in it? MPG would be similar I reckon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/450/201206206896870/advert?channel=CARS

This looks like a beauty for the cash.

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

I wonder if the missis would mind if I traded in the family Passat Estate for this?

Grrrr! Why are so many adverts false - this car does not have air con.

What a w116 aircon dash looks like

P1134532.JPG

mike65 wrote: »
    Grrrr! Why are so many adverts false - this car does not have air con.

What a w116 aircon dash looks like

P1134532.JPG

Yeah, he shouts a lot about the condition of the car too, no rust, best in Ireland and all that lark. Its been on Carzone steady since last June at least. I didn't view the car, but the lad who bought my 450SEL last year did.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I had a 350sl,I was getting about 20-22/gal so I suppose the 450 would do 18/19 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 64,777 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That Hondamatic box has...

...2 speeds :p

Will probably do about 25MPG average :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

unkel wrote: »
    Sign of the times - the classic car market is very poor these days...

You can sing that. Tax regime has an awful lot to answer for......got an enquiry for mine from UK today. From a breakers.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/450/201206206896870/advert?channel=CARS

:D Ad says:
    There is a large electric sun room in the car.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Nice car: interesting reverse-pshchology for any would-be dithering purchaser...........'buy it now or I won't sell it'.....!!:rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

galwaytt wrote: »
    Nice car: interesting reverse-pshchology for any would-be dithering purchaser...........'buy it now or I won't sell it'.....!!:rolleyes:

Thats ok..... I'll buy this one instead:)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1978-Mercedes-Benz-450-sel-Rare-Classsic-/150629085972?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2312317314

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

hi5 wrote: »
    There's something wrong with the seats on that one. They're either seat covers or a very poor retrim.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

SilverBell wrote: »
    What mpg does the Passat do? Then I'll tell you what one of them does!!:D
    Not enough for the price of diesel!
    SilverBell wrote: »
    You used to have something similar I remember, a 70s SL? What donkey was in it? MPG would be similar I reckon!
    Interestingly - my old '72 SL actually had the 4.5 liter engine from the SEL under the hood! So I can confidently suggest you'd get MPG in the late teens when driving around suburbia and might get low 20's on long trips!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

90 450SEL for sale in rust free VietNam - US$4,400 (€3,200)

http://www.bonbanh.com/Xe-Mercedes_Benz-Khác-450-SEL-1990-45391.html

then use Google translate.

Only thing that needs to work over there is the a/c - 33c all year, and a black car

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭WDB123

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3041993

w123

Absolute Sh1t seen it today and he is looking for a fortune for everything,
    doesnt speak english has translater

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Capri wrote: »
    90 450SEL for sale in rust free VietNam - US$4,400 (€3,200)

http://www.bonbanh.com/Xe-Mercedes_Benz-Khác-450-SEL-1990-45391.html

then use Google translate.

Only thing that needs to work over there is the a/c - 33c all year, and a black car
    That has to be a lot older than 1990 - the W126 came out in 1979!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

heres a nice project for someone with a bit of space
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3050536

1983 Granada, so thats a whole year to get it up and running,then you benefit from the Cassic Tax
    View2-10181760.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

Not enough for the price of diesel!

Interestingly - my old '72 SL actually had the 4.5 liter engine from the SEL under the hood! So I can confidently suggest you'd get MPG in the late teens when driving around suburbia and might get low 20's on long trips!
    Yep, on long trips I got 20-22 in the 450SEL, and around town, I never really worked it out that well, prob about 15 ish.:D

Anan1 wrote: »
    There's something wrong with the seats on that one. They're either seat covers or a very poor retrim.

Yep, the seats looked messed with. That car is being discussed on another UK forum I'm in, apparently it looks fine in the photos but needs a a lot of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Anan1 wrote: »
    That has to be a lot older than 1990 - the W126 came out in 1979!

looks like the Vietnamese are using the Irish system of car registrations, just put anything on it with no sense of system.
    Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    heres a nice project for someone with a bit of space

1983 Granada, so thats a whole year to get it up and running,then you benefit from the Cassic Tax

Interesting. Fair price either way which is rare enough.
    Saab Ed wrote: »

Sold! Feck it, I would have gone for that at that price, its probably the most underrated Gti of the 80's-early 90's heyday.

Probably a UK import but it looks like its been looked after. The good thing about the BX is that the Celtic Tiger boy racer generation have no interest in them and they tend to stay very original.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Interesting. Fair price either way which is rare enough.

yeah, I wouldnt be surprised to see it with the old wings back on it for a photo, bit of a spitshine and a Grand on the price next week

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DonegalMick

Whats this bad boy worth and what problems might it have. Cheers:)

Whats this bad boy worth and what problems might it have. Cheers:)

W116s typically suffer from rust, hence a good one is hard to find.

Sills, front suspension turrets, firewall, front cross member, boot areas, and then perhaps a few panels might go too!!

This can all be repaired, just a lot of work in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DonegalMick

Thanks SilverBell,
    I would love to buy a good w116 but the price of the cars appear to be from one extreme to the other. You can see w116s in the uk from as little as 1000 to 10,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Diegodelizia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Watch for rust.

Even looking at the mismatched panels on that one would lead me to believe it's hiding some nasty surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Diegodelizia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

I think he could have dragged it out of the undergound park before taking some pictures. They're not great photos and one poster has spotted dodgy body panels already. Who knows what else the darkness is hiding? Also, being in the carpark would make the car harder to examine under artificial light I think.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

You've really got to ask yourself where you're going with these cars. If you want a couple of years of fun, then fine, buy one and do 'holding jobs' / go to the quick 'n' dirty place for your exhaust etc. If you want a 70 grand car long term, forget it. Buy a Kia instead.

That is, of course, unless you want to engage in a long and expensive (and often frustrating) process of undoing the damage done by previous owners who had the above outlook. These cars seem to end up needing something expensive done and once the minimum is done it's sold on when the next sign of trouble shows.

Having said all that, if you've got the money and facilities you're still going to end up with a car costing a fraction of what the modern day version would cost, and you'll be driving something much rarer. Just make sure you have the enthusiasm, money and facilities.

I didn't :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement