Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTEs love afair with Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Huh ? That "there is also" doesn't wash; Nationwide includes Dublin, and shows that go "around the country" also include Dublin.

So what you've basically posted is that there are national shows and there are shows about Dublin.

Why not national shows and shows about Cork, Limerick or Galway ?

*sigh*

My point was that they don't just do programmes about Dublin.

People need to get rid of the chip on their shoulder and realise that Dublin is our capital city and is bound to attract more programming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Every country does this, American shows/movies are disproportionately NY/LA, French novels/films are all in Paris, Japanese stuff in Tokyo, etc. It's actually difficult to name Irish things not set in Dublin, Belfast or a tiny village somewhere in d'Wesht: Angela's Ashes, The Butcher Boy, Pure Mule ... anything else?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The Magdalen Sisters FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

I once posted a link to Soupy Norman on the Peoples Republic of Cork forum and got rounded on by the natives. People need to chill out when it comes to the geography of Television making.

Soupy:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=9ddWlNQrUNI

A better comedy than anything that's currently on any TV station in these islands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

capital d has been a long time coming, we should welcome more locally produce programes and local issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

what ever happened to the morning tv news program rte was going to do from cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

994 wrote: »
    Every country does this, American shows/movies are disproportionately NY/LA, French novels/films are all in Paris, Japanese stuff in Tokyo, etc. It's actually difficult to name Irish things not set in Dublin, Belfast or a tiny village somewhere in d'Wesht: Angela's Ashes, The Butcher Boy, Pure Mule ... anything else?

I doesn't mean it is right.

In realation to Drama's by RTE not set in Dublin

The Riordans
    Bracken
    Glenroe
    DDU/Making the Cut
    Pure Mule (As mentioned)
    Eureka (It may have been Belfast, co-produced with BBCNI)
    Falling for a Dancer
    Amongst Women
    Love is the Drug
    On Home Ground
    Southside (A soap from Cork, in the 1960s)

There was about 20 years between Tolka Row and Fair City.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Degsy wrote: »
    The only thing RTE has a love affair with is untalented writers,directors,producers and actors.
    And that fat slob Gerry Ryan obviously.

C'mon Degsy.

It's abit redundant to use the words untalented & Gerry Ryan.

The only thing RTE has a love affair with is untalented writers,directors,producers and actors.
    And that fat slob Gerry Ryan obviously.

Yes Dublin people as the OP suggests :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

C'mon Degsy.

It's abit redundant to use the words untalented & Gerry Ryan.

Fat,then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Punchbowl wrote: »
    I once posted a link to Soupy Norman on the Peoples Republic of Cork forum and got rounded on by the natives. People need to chill out when it comes to the geography of Television making.

Never post there. Ever. That was your first mistake.

Anyway, back on topic, weren't a few recent RTE dramas set in the country somewhere? And anyway, what difference does it make?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

janeybabe wrote: »
    Never post there. Ever. That was your first mistake.

Anyway, back on topic, weren't a few recent RTE dramas set in the country somewhere? And anyway, what difference does it make?

It makes a difference to the OP or well eh we wouldn't be in this thread I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

ScumLord wrote: »
    RTEs factual programing is nationwide but all their dramas/comedy's have been Dublin based in the last few years and the vast majority of them have been terrible.

Oh no you don't! Trying to blame Killinaskully on us? I don't think so OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

i'm guessing the OP has never seen an episode of 'come wesht along the road?':pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

I try to avoid RTE and TV3 but TV3 seem to get around the county for the news more than RTE who seem to be entirely fixated on Dublin. I mean Jim Fahy FFS. Is this why the west rarely gets airtime because we would have to listen to that guy. TV3 news is still sh_te though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

Now I have a (maybe) uncalled for hatred of all things Dublin so I'm very biased

That's possibly the most hilarious thing ever posted on boards. Do people like you actually exist?? Is there a hidden camera on us all?
    The people from the country may be all kinds of backwards and uncivalised

Agreed. But don't you think it's best not to encourage such people by giving them exposure on TV though? I say ban them all to TG4 and let the forwards and civilised 'city folk' enjoy RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Wheels wrote: »
    That's possibly the most hilarious thing ever posted on boards. Do people like you actually exist?? Is there a hidden camera on us all?
    Yes people like me exist, there are actually still more Irish people living outside Dublin than in it, believe it or not. I know they told you the world was destroyed and nothing could live out here but it's not true, their only trying to control you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 listerdave

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Huh ? That "there is also" doesn't wash; Nationwide includes Dublin, and shows that go "around the country" also include Dublin.

So what you've basically posted is that there are national shows and there are shows about Dublin.

Why not national shows and shows about Cork, Limerick or Galway ?

About a quarter of the population live in the greater Dublin area.

listerdave wrote: »
    About a quarter of the population live in the greater Dublin area.
    Exactly most Irish people don't live in Dublin so why so much Dublin content.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Exactly most Irish people don't live in Dublin so why so much Dublin content.

Probably because advertisers think country folk dont have any money or are too tight to spend it. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

I read somewhere that 40% of ROIs population lives within a 100km radius of Dublin city centre. (not sure how accurate that is)
    If so it seems right that there's a lot of Dublin content.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭thejuggler

As far as I know Nationwide is put together in Cork (although filmed around the country) Similarly the saturday morning kids tv show is partly based in RTE Cork - I think it alternates every second week with Dublin.
    John Creedons late night show on radio one is made in Cork and over the years there have been shows produced in Cork - the consumer show Streetwise with Martina O'Donoghue is one that springs to mind.

Soaps are probably made in Dublin for cost reasons - RTE have large studio facilities there and most of the actors and technical staff are based there too.

schween wrote: »
    I read somewhere that 40% of ROIs population lives within a 100km radius of Dublin city centre. (not sure how accurate that is)

It is the economics of advertising. Advertisers want the ABC1s and the majority of ABC1s are urbanites regardless of city and to a certain extent young affluent people with disposable incomes (Someone may be able to define ABC1s better).

Now all city people (or townies) think the same and they also have easier access to shops and businesses, so they are more inclined due to their closeness to shops to spend more money.

This is not to suggest that rural people don't have money but it is to suggest that they don't spend as much or as often.

However RTÉ also know that most of their audience is outside Dublin, since on so many occasions when RTÉ direct shows at the Dublin audience they tend to look down on the lack of sophistication that should come from such shows, and this is why Kinnanscully has been so successful since it isn't aimed at Dubliners.

So really while RTÉ may want that audience it should really leave that audience alone and think about their public service remit to the rest of the country.

Also TV3 the other national broadcaster seems to forget everyone outside the walls of its studios let alone Dublin.

Also I am not trying to suggest that rural people are un sophisticated rather they just don't have as big a chip on their shoulder as urbanites.

Also I may be wrong but you will get the same kind of statistic if you use Athlone as your base, In actual fact I wouldn't be surprised if athlone has more then 40% of the Irish popluation living 100km away from it.

Athlone to

Dublin 123km
    Cork 212km
    Galway 130km est
    Belfast 170km
    Killkenny 121km
    Letterkenny 200km est

I think RTE should relocate and only have Athlone based shows :)

thejuggler wrote: »
    Soaps are probably made in Dublin for cost reasons - RTE have large studio facilities there and most of the actors and technical staff are based there too.

You don't have to pay actors as much with in a certain radius of dublin. This may have been a reason why RTÉ brought their Agri-soap to Wicklow.

Elmo wrote: »
    It is the economics of advertising. Advertisers want the ABC1s and the majority of ABC1s are urbanites regardless of city and to a certain extent young affluent people with disposable incomes (Someone may be able to define ABC1s better).

Now all city people (or townies) think the same and they also have easier access to shops and businesses, so they are more inclined due to their closeness to shops to spend more money.
    If they think like that their missing out on allot of custom. (although all this isn't really true now with the collapse of the construction industry but up until last year it was true.

If you took a drive out all the small by roads around my (typical small town I'd say) you'd see it's full of these massive mansions, just about everyone in my area was a builder in some way and made fortunes.

Within 10 miles of me I have access to a state of the art gym, and a good few supermarket including Aldi, Lidl and Tescos. Are city folks really any closer than 10 miles to them kind of services (in general)?

The services may not be in the same town but there within easy access, probably just as easy as anyone living in an estate around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

I think this is the main reason for RTEs failure rate. Now I have a (maybe) uncalled for hatred of all things Dublin so I'm very biased, but all RTEs shows are about Dublin for Dubliners yet if you look back on some of the most popular Irish shows (or shows based in Ireland) they where all based in the country. Father Ted, Podge and Rodge even Glenroe. Most the popular films set in Ireland took place in the country or small towns around Ireland.

The people from the country may be all kinds of backwards and uncivalised but their interesting and funny in a way city folk just can't be.

The fact is Dublin is a capitol city like any other and it's displayed in tv, by RTE as a city on a par with NY or London when it's nothing like them. They try to make Dublin look sleek and trendy when it's barely good at attempting to be those things. Dublin comedy is still trying to catch up to urban comedy in the UK and US which is their big problem, if I want to see that kind of comedy I'll just watch shows from the US or UK.

Your problem seems to be with Ireland not Dublin, also is there anywhere else in Ireland you would reckon is closer to "NY" or London, (and before you say it, I am not saying Dublin is likeeither of them). Since your gripe seems to be with RTE, Father Ted can't really be counted in your argument and anyway Graham Linehan, Dermot Morgan and Frank Kelly are all from Dublin, Fair City always had higher viewer ratings than Glenroe, and Podge and Rodge laughs at "culchies" not with them. So in short, Dublin is the capital of our country, get over it.

Wacko wrote: »
    Your problem seems to be with Ireland not Dublin, also is there anywhere else in Ireland you would reckon is closer to "NY" or London, (and before you say it, I am not saying Dublin is likeeither of them). Since your gripe seems to be with RTE, Father Ted can't really be counted in your argument and anyway Graham Linehan, Dermot Morgan and Frank Kelly are all from Dublin, Fair City always had higher viewer ratings than Glenroe, and Podge and Rodge laughs at "culchies" not with them. So in short, Dublin is the capital of our country, get over it.

Glenroe always out preformed Fair City. RTÉ had several choices with Glenroe.

1. Axe as they did and create new drama.
    2. Start broadcasting it 2 nights a week to complement Fair City and let it become a full time soap opera.
    3. Re-image it into a short series that would go out for an hour on Sunday nights.

Personally I think they took the right choice since we have seen some other dramas appear since then such as Pure Mule, Love is the Drug, Batchelor's Walk etc which I don't think would have been produced with the over saturation of Soap Opera on our TV screens.

Fair City was cheaper to make since RTÉ had spent a huge amount on its set, which now is a fixture on RTÉ's property and doesn't cost anything to rent, unlike the outdoor sets to Glenroe. Soap Opera = convayer belt TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

:rolleyes: Based on that argument, Cork & Galway people live roughly within a 100km radius of Limerick.....does that mean they should be happy watching loads of programmes about Limerick ?

I love my city but I severely doubt it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

I think this is the main reason for RTEs failure rate. Now I have a (maybe) uncalled for hatred of all things Dublin so I'm very biased, but all RTEs shows are about Dublin for Dubliners yet if you look back on some of the most popular Irish shows (or shows based in Ireland) they where all based in the country. Father Ted, Podge and Rodge even Glenroe. Most the popular films set in Ireland took place in the country or small towns around Ireland.

The people from the country may be all kinds of backwards and uncivalised but their interesting and funny in a way city folk just can't be.

The fact is Dublin is a capitol city like any other and it's displayed in tv, by RTE as a city on a par with NY or London when it's nothing like them. They try to make Dublin look sleek and trendy when it's barely good at attempting to be those things. Dublin comedy is still trying to catch up to urban comedy in the UK and US which is their big problem, if I want to see that kind of comedy I'll just watch shows from the US or UK.

Notice how (2) the shows you mention poke fun at bog hoppers?

Advertisement