Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTEs love afair with Dublin

Options
  • 21-01-2009 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I think this is the main reason for RTEs failure rate. Now I have a (maybe) uncalled for hatred of all things Dublin so I'm very biased, but all RTEs shows are about Dublin for Dubliners yet if you look back on some of the most popular Irish shows (or shows based in Ireland) they where all based in the country. Father Ted, Podge and Rodge even Glenroe. Most the popular films set in Ireland took place in the country or small towns around Ireland.

The people from the country may be all kinds of backwards and uncivalised but their interesting and funny in a way city folk just can't be.

The fact is Dublin is a capitol city like any other and it's displayed in tv, by RTE as a city on a par with NY or London when it's nothing like them. They try to make Dublin look sleek and trendy when it's barely good at attempting to be those things. Dublin comedy is still trying to catch up to urban comedy in the UK and US which is their big problem, if I want to see that kind of comedy I'll just watch shows from the US or UK.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think this is the main reason for RTEs failure rate. Now I have a (maybe) uncalled for hatred of all things Dublin so I'm very biased, but all RTEs shows are about Dublin for Dubliners yet if you look back on some of the most popular Irish shows (or shows based in Ireland) they where all based in the country. Father Ted, Podge and Rodge even Glenroe. Most the popular films set in Ireland took place in the country or small towns around Ireland.

The people from the country may be all kinds of backwards and uncivalised but their interesting and funny in a way city folk just can't be.

The fact is Dublin is a capitol city like any other and it's displayed in tv, by RTE as a city on a par with NY or London when it's nothing like them. They try to make Dublin look sleek and trendy when it's barely good at attempting to be those things. Dublin comedy is still trying to catch up to urban comedy in the UK and US which is their big problem, if I want to see that kind of comedy I'll just watch shows from the US or UK.

Where is Kinlaskully (sp) set? Thats out in Lucan some where isnt it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

What a load of deranged nonsense.
    Are you recieving professional help?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Yeah, I hate the way Carrickstown in Fair City looks all 'sleek and trendy'. It's so unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Im sorry what OP?
    I read your entire post but I really cant see any sense at all in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nationwide FTW

news_nationwide.jpg

For 30 bloody years :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

*Befriends Scumlord*
    I think it's because RTE people are generally lazy and won't travel to any destination outside city limits. Also they think Dublin is fecking great and why won't the culchies agree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

The Dubs love themselves and people who love themselves think everybody else loves them hence why RTE has a love affair with Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The only thing RTE has a love affair with is untalented writers,directors,producers and actors.
    And that fat slob Gerry Ryan obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Don't they have Capital D for their needs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

kearnsr wrote: »
    Where is Kinlaskully (sp) set? Thats out in Lucan some where isnt it

Lucan??
    It's set in a rural village if you ever watch it, not a suburb with hundreds of estates.

It's filmed in Ballinahinch in Co. Tipperary. Hardly suprising when you consider Pat Shortt is from Thurles.
    You'll see other areas like the Parteen Weir on it also

Ah, the Dubs claiming everything as their own ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Well at least Nationwide does what it says on the tin and goes all around the country.

Programmes like "Capital D" and other Dublin-focussed stuff should either be (a) moved to something like City Channel or (b) balanced with documentaries about the rest of the country.

Wouldn't take Kilnascully or Fair City as being watchable options, but having said that, both "Pure Mule*" and "Bacherlor's Walk" weren't bad, so it can be done.

* Pity about the dire exaggerated accents, though.....the D4 crowd are almost as bad as the "begob and begorrah" Hollywoodites when it comes to casting accents.

Oh, maybe the OP can check out Strumpet City, entirely based in Dublin.

Based on a novel but it's fascinating to see the city as it may have existed almost 100 years ago. If you're into local history you can watch out for certain things, I do anyway.

RTE show it every few years or it's on DVD but kinda hard to track down.

Oh and Nationwide ftw! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I know very few Dubliners who would be upset if RTE closed down,
    there are enough substitutes/alternatives on SKY or UPC.

I've always consider RTE a culchie friendly station dating back to it's
    Bracken and Glenroe days. Even now with the bogball games I'd say
    it's target audience are rural dwellers with only terrestial tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Well at least Nationwide does what it says on the tin and goes all around the country.

Programmes like "Capital D" and other Dublin-focussed stuff should either be (a) moved to something like City Channel or (b) balanced with documentaries about the rest of the country.

what wrong with having capital d and nationwide?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Eh hello OP, 'Ear to the Ground'?!
    000201110d5.jpg

RTE's schedule is crawling with culchies :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

mikemac wrote: »
    Lucan??
    It's set in a rural village if you ever watch it, not a suburb with hundreds of estates.

It's filmed in Ballinahinch in Co. Tipperary. Hardly suprising when you consider Pat Shortt is from Thurles.

really? Im sure that i saw the spire in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Programmes like "Capital D" and other Dublin-focussed stuff should either be (a) moved to something like City Channel
    RTE's own Dublin forum :D:D

Lucan??

:eek::eek:

I think you may find that was a sarcastic comment directed at the OP's suggestion that all programmes on RTe were about Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭IMBACKLATER

RTE programming is targeted towards mostly country dwellers without teristerial tv, however this is no excuse to make poor quality programming, their budget is restricted compared to that of the BBC. but where would one begin, atrocious on screen graphics, terrible presenters, very poor quality sets, sloppy camera work, most notable on the failed talent search show youre a star. The thing about dublin is its sad, its a sad place, and its even more sad in recessionary times. It is a minor international capital but tries too hard to pretend it is something it clearly is not. The natives are fiercly proud but of what may i ask, their culture was imported from the british empire. Show me something inherently dublin, something unique - rubbish on the street?. a hachet faced hag selling tat? I think RTE is an embarrasement, dont get me started on those who melaud around its streets thinking their on a boulevard in paris.....eh ur in a soeur love....anyways during the recessionary times the cracks have appeared and we can all see what a dump dublin is and that it was never anything special in the good times. whats worse is its the only large town in the country,

Rob_l wrote: »
    :eek::eek:

I think you may find that was a sarcastic comment directed at the OP's suggestion that all programmes on RTe were about Dublin

Ah come on now, I can't pick up subtle examples of sarcasm, I thought it was a serious post

Next time use this guy :rolleyes:, makes it easier for everyone
    I realize it wasn't your post Rob_l

• Advertisement

Ah come on now, I can't pick up subtle examples of sarcasm, I thought it was a serious post

Next time use this guy :rolleyes:, makes it easier for everyone
    I realize it wasn't your post Rob_l

Subtle sarcasim :eek::rolleyes:
    that was laid on about as thick as you could get ballinascully set in Lucan i mean come on how the fudge could that not be sarcastic,

Im wondering now if your trying to be subtly sarcastic by saying you didn't know

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Degsy wrote: »
    What a load of deranged nonsense.
    Are you recieving professional help?
    No I bought a book and a power drill and plan to do most the work myself.

RTEs factual programing is nationwide but all their dramas/comedy's have been Dublin based in the last few years and the vast majority of them have been terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I really don't think that there is a problem with the amount of Dublin programming on RTE. A lot of the shows are move from place to place every week. Sure, there's Fair City and Capital D, but there is also Nationwide, and those house/health/whatever shows that go around the country.

This is coming from a non-Dub who doesn't share the 'Dublin people think they are so great' mentality that is prevalent amongst those who aren't from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Too much of RTÉ's output is sub-par and the Dublin factor's got nothing to do with it. I'm a culchie and I loathe Killinascully because it's no better than those awful novelty acts that used to be on the John Player Tops. I equally hate Fair City, not because it's set in Dublin but because it's got dreadful acting and low production values. I don't care if they make programs about Dublin/set in Dublin as long as they're good. The same rule applies to them making programs in Carlow or somewhere like that.

RTÉ should take a look at TG4, a much smaller TV station which is able to make high quality programmes on shoestring budgets. Unfortunately, RTÉ doesn't seem to be able to do that very often but instead dishes out rubbish like that living with Lucy Kennedy thing, Colm and Jim Jim and lukewarm rip-offs of British reality shows.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

RTEs factual programing is nationwide but all their dramas/comedy's have been Dublin based in the last few years and the vast majority of them have been terrible.

And do you honestly think they'd be any better if they were set in Letterkenny or Enniscorthy? They're generally shíte programmes anyway, their location is incidental.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

mike65 wrote: »
    Nationwide FTW
    "Haw haw haw, interesting report there, now it's over over to Ballydehob to see the annual cheese-tossing festival"

Honestly, bring back Mart and Market - that should placate the Big Tom loving, TK Red Lemonade swigging fools once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I know very few Dubliners who would be upset if RTE closed down,
    there are enough substitutes/alternatives on SKY or UPC.

I've always consider RTE a culchie friendly station dating back to it's
    Bracken and Glenroe days. Even now with the bogball games I'd say
    it's target audience are rural dwellers with only terrestial tv.

I'd say most dubs are watching Living or Bravo anyway.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Probably a certain show at 11 or 12. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Has there ever been a show set in Cork under a similar pretense to the ones set in Dublin? Ya know the type, urban dramas or comedies (if they could ever write one). I wouldn't expect the production of shows to match the population ratio of 4:1 but surely every 8 or 10 shows there would be reason to have one in Cork. The same stories could be set within Cork as could be in Dublin so that probably shows RTE's complete bias towards Dublin more so than that between Dublin and the rural areas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

janeybabe wrote: »
    I really don't think that there is a problem with the amount of Dublin programming on RTE. A lot of the shows are move from place to place every week. Sure, there's Fair City and Capital D, but there is also Nationwide, and those house/health/whatever shows that go around the country.

Huh ? That "there is also" doesn't wash; Nationwide includes Dublin, and shows that go "around the country" also include Dublin.

So what you've basically posted is that there are national shows and there are shows about Dublin.

Why not national shows and shows about Cork, Limerick or Galway ?

Advertisement